As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Age Thread – The third and final story DLC out now on PS4/XBO/PC

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Whelp, Cullen's VA is a piece of shit:

That feels at least possibly sarcastic to me.

I looked through his history before posting this tweet, he seems to have been doing a series of podcasts with some terfy ladies called the Femsplainers. One of the subjects of a podcast was that young cis girls are somehow pressured into getting gender reassignment surgery and hormones, calling it "the new anorexia." So yeah, he's legitimately gross.

oh my god fuck this piece of absolute shit

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Whelp, Cullen's VA is a piece of shit:

That feels at least possibly sarcastic to me.

I looked through his history before posting this tweet, he seems to have been doing a series of podcasts with some terfy ladies called the Femsplainers. One of the subjects of a podcast was that young cis girls are somehow pressured into getting gender reassignment surgery and hormones, calling it "the new anorexia." So yeah, he's legitimately gross.

oh my god fuck this piece of absolute shit

I wanted to make sure I had my info straight, and it looks like the "new anorexia" slogan was something the Femsplainers talked about on their own podcast, I don't know if they talked about it on Greg Ellis' podcast because it's not in any of the recent descriptions and I'm not going to listen to their trash.

That said, Femsplainers have been on his podcast more than once, and he has an episode with them pinned to the top of his twitter, so... he knows who they are, he's not hiding who he is.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    I am out of most loops and had to look up what TERF even was. But fuck them. Why can't we just let people be who they want to be and love each other? It's depressing that there is such hate out there.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    I am out of most loops and had to look up what TERF even was. But fuck them. Why can't we just let people be who they want to be and love each other? It's depressing that there is such hate out there.
    Peace and love, brother.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Well because obviously the only reason someone could be different from me is because they're trying to convert me to their wicked lifestyle. After all, why be gay if you aren't trying to get me, personally, into bed?!?! /s

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Made up arguments to exclude and shame people because other people are afraid.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    I just finished Act II of DA2 again and I guess I'd forgotten that Act II really doesn't make you do anything outside of the main Qunari questline other than the Kirkwall Killer stuff.

Like, I couldn't remember if I would have to go check on Anders or follow up on Feynriel, but nope! I actually would have done Feynriel's stuff but after the act climax kicks off with Isabela/Aveline it feels really weird to go do other stuff.

For the record, in this run my main party is Varric/Isabela/Aveline. Aveline only after Bethany died, first because that slot was taken and second because Act I Hawke was pretty violent and didn't need a by-the-book guard around. Also kept my distance from Merrill after bringing her back to the city, but decided to reach out to her after Leandra's death. Did not go super well because she got super pissed when I wouldn't let her fix the Eluvian.

This Hawke has never met Fenris, only saw Sebastian once in passing, and has not talked to Anders since getting the Deep Roads maps.

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    So it looks like my current replay of the trilogy will need to be put on hold, since my DAI disc (PS4) seems to be messed up I guess? I've been trying to start a new game and it can't go more than a couple minutes without closing out saying that the disc can't be read. The only possible cause I see is what looks like a tiny tiny chip at one spot on the disc's outside edge. It also can't seem to eject the disc unless I turn off/restart.

So, question: since I bought all the story DLC separately through PSN, I should be able to buy any version of the game (including Standard) and still have access to said DLC, correct?

• InterpreterInterpreter Registered User regular
    kaceyp wrote: »
    So it looks like my current replay of the trilogy will need to be put on hold, since my DAI disc (PS4) seems to be messed up I guess? I've been trying to start a new game and it can't go more than a couple minutes without closing out saying that the disc can't be read. The only possible cause I see is what looks like a tiny tiny chip at one spot on the disc's outside edge. It also can't seem to eject the disc unless I turn off/restart.

So, question: since I bought all the story DLC separately through PSN, I should be able to buy any version of the game (including Standard) and still have access to said DLC, correct?

Correct. The disc is only used as a DRM check anyways.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Playing DA3 for the first time, just got to Skyhold. Well... I was not expecting that. Good job game on surprising me in a ganra that rarely surprises me.

Was i supposed to do anything specific in the snowy whiteout area? I just kept waking forward and somehow warping ahead a couple of times until a cutscene kicked in.

steam_sig.png
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I don’t think so? I’m pretty sure it’s just kind of an interactive cutscene but I haven’t played in a long time.

Yeah, AFAIR there's nothing that you should (or can) do other than just move forward until you get rescued.

I wish I'd found out about my DAI disc a little sooner -- apparently it was just on sale for like 5 bucks. Hopefully another sale will be around before long.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    Cross-post from the Mass Effect thread, the BioWare Store has reopened today with mostly Mass Effect stuff but also 2 Dragon Age t-shirts available for preorder - a Grey Warden one (which I think might be one of the older ones available from the original store making a return) and one with an Inquisition crest print.

https://gear.bioware.com/collections/dragon-age

So i have a billion things to do in my mission board, some with short and some with long wait times, some that open up new areas with quests and others that don't. Some that sound urgent, others less so. My OCD and completionist tendencies are kicking into high gear, especially after not being able to visit at all the templar area since i did the mage area first.

Am i screwing myself out of areas if i don't do them in a specific order or if i just take too long or if i pick one can't do another?

steam_sig.png
    Not really, no. And honestly don’t let your ocd take over. You will burn out. There are a bunch of good side quests but a lot of stuff you shouldn’t bother with. Mostly the kind of repetitive nonsense. You will figure what is good to do.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Seconded. I am a completionist. I used to 100% Fallout 2 for fun.

DA:I beat me. It's too big, there's too many bullshit sidequests. Don't give in to the completionism, you will regret it.

It's not necessary, and the rewards are not commensurate with the time and effort it takes to complete them.

• StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    If they can't be bothered to give me a Josephine love scene, I can't be bothered to 100% the game okay.

Strikor wrote: »
    If they can't be bothered to give me a Josephine love scene, I can't be bothered to 100% the game okay.

I'm actually kind of glad they label the "flirt" buttons now as in at least a couple of previous games i picked what seemed a innocuous "i enjoy your company, friend" option and it turned out to be a "i want a ticket to bonetown" option.

steam_sig.png

Same but Scout Harding.
    Smrtnik wrote: »

I'm actually kind of glad they label the "flirt" buttons now as in at least a couple of previous games i picked what seemed a innocuous "i enjoy your company, friend" option and it turned out to be a "i want a ticket to bonetown" option.

Anders in 2 was the craziest. You're all like, "Hey you're an alright guy Anders". Anders immediately throws off his clothes and jumps into bed.

Comics, Games, Booze
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular

Relevant twitter thread from Patrick Weekes that I think was posted in the ME thread but not here:

Same but Scout Harding.

Anders in 2 was the craziest. You're all like, "Hey you're an alright guy Anders". Anders immediately throws off his clothes and jumps into bed.

I maintain that if Anders tried to bone you in 2 it was entirely your own doing. 2 had the hearts next to dialog that was flirtatious.

That is entirely possible, it's been forever since I've played through 2. I just remember being surprised by how rapidly it escalated from 0-bone.

Comics, Games, Booze

I realize that most of you are here for Dragon Age news and there hasn't been a lot of that lately...
    Let me just run down some things I an say:
    1. We are working on the next Dragon Age
    2. Yes we are working from home
    3. Working from home is harder
    4. We are making progress

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Well, we finally know why Mike Laidlaw left Ubisoft after a year or so. Reportedly he was heading up development of an Arthurian RPG that everyone was excited to work on, but Ubi chief creative officer Serge Hascoët pulled the plug purely because he doesn't like fantasy settings. He's also the guy that's responsible for every single Ubisoft game feeling exactly the same.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Serge Hascoët also harassed and bullied people, let's not leave that part out!

3cl1ps3 on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    He also harassed and bullied people, let's not leave that part out!

You should specify that you're talking about Serge Hascoët and not Mike Laidlaw.

Yes, sorry.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    There's a mod that adds unlimited crafting materials...it's well worth it to not be sweating finding the last piece of duck testicle for your new armor. And make sure to customize your armor, a lot of the default crafted stuff has incredibly ugly color choices.

Turns out, the modding scene for DAI is kind of a shitshow. Why yes I'd like to download a PDF that tells me to download another PDF that links me to a discord where I get four separate downloads in order to make sure a program that can manage multiple mods at once works, and then I still haven't downloaded the mods I want, that has to be done separately.

And most mods don't seem to have another way of being implemented anymore. (I mean, I did a search for what to do with .daimod files and this was the only thing that came up.) It almost didn't feel worth it given how small the mods I wanted to install were.

And then I played it with the mods for infinite crafting mats (and all schematics from previous playthroughs unlocked, of course) and whew, that's nice. "Everyone's in endgame gear so just sell everything that's not needed for requisition" is a delightfully streamlined way to play.

I read that article about Hascoet and he sounded like an all around asshole of the highest order. He clearly put effort into being a bag of shit. Like... renaissance man of awfulness.

So it doesn't surprise me at all that he canned a game because he has no taste and also just because he could.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    been playing this recently and it is tragic how fun the carefully set up dungeons are and how utterly stultifying the open world maps full of identikit resources and objectives are

let us hope they learn the appropriate lessons from the witcher and presumably cyberpunk for da4

also i made one of the dragons go invulnerable and do 360s while shooting lightning balls

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Also I'm probably gonna hold off before playing more until I get my SSD in the near future. Even with the mods making inventory management easy, the load times are murder.

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I read that article about Hascoet and he sounded like an all around asshole of the highest order. He clearly put effort into being a bag of shit. Like... renaissance man of awfulness.

So it doesn't surprise me at all that he canned a game because he has no taste and also just because he could.

He’s basically the reason Assassins Creed games never got a primary female protagonist outside of a vita spinoff game.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • The_InfidelThe_Infidel Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Ohhh yeaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZJPvKbUgOA

Solas a predictable baddie...

Davrin a grey Warden companion...

Bellara....the female Qunari companion?

The_Infidel on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    solas isnt a baddie hes a baldie

obF2Wuw.png
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Man I know I'm glad they're showing of the game and all, but I can't help but draw similarities of the effluent gushing they were doing about some of the early discussion about Anthem to this video. Plus all the horror stories that came out about the development of...what? The last 3 of their titles now? Really goes into stark contrast of how this video is coming across.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that kind of culture doesn't get turned around quickly.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Seconded. I am a completionist. I used to 100% Fallout 2 for fun.

DA:I beat me. It's too big, there's too many bullshit sidequests. Don't give in to the completionism, you will regret it.

It's not necessary, and the rewards are not commensurate with the time and effort it takes to complete them.

I actually did 100% DAI lol...or get pretty close.

Andromeda on the other was where I decided I was done with games that are much bigger than they need to be.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    On the subject of crunch I really don't know what could be done outside of unionizing.

Games are expensive and hard to make and they just get moreso as time passes. So I feel they will always exist on that razor's edge.

And while people are well aware of the meat grinder that exists, game development is also a creative field and in these kind of fields you always have people willing to throw themselves in said meat grinder because it's their "dream".

And thats how the cycle goes you push people until they burnout then shovel in the next group of bright-eyed, naive 20-somethings.

Dragkonias on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    That video is nothing but "pre production after 6 years", and the game isn't cancelled yet. Otherwise, 4 minutes of PR speak.

Here's hoping it's good whenever it does release.

I'll go the same thing i did for Inquisition which is wait 6 years for all patches and DLC to be done.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.