As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] What We Do in the Shadows (Beyond Light expansion coming Nov. 10!)

• Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    I skip Corrupted on principle. Strikes are my least favourite core activity to repeat endlessly every week. Really don’t need to run the one triple the length of the others

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    A friend of mine needed the pulse rifle from it as his very last thing to get the Cursebreaker title, so we agreed to farm it with him. Only took a couple of runs, but at that point, what's two more runs so that four of us could get the pinnacle since we are all still leveling. We saw the bug two times in those 4 runs.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I've gotten the Corrupted one twice. Haven't seen the Exodus Crash one but I did once get bugged on... is it called Lake of Shadows? The one on Earth with the water treatment plant. I was on my way to the boss room when I got the 'joining allies' countdown, only after it ended it respawned outside the barrier for the room and immediately got 'joining allies' again. It just looped through that until the other two finished the encounter.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I’m pretty sure Spire only added the ability to catch balls. You definitely threw them in Wrath!

I’m just saying, Spire is not where their ball fetish started

edit - well, looks like I was looking at an old version of the thread

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I’m pretty sure Spire only added the ability to catch balls. You definitely threw them in Wrath!

I’m just saying, Spire is not where their ball fetish started

edit - well, looks like I was looking at an old version of the thread

It's always time to talk about ball-fondling.

Yeah, I can't remember whether the intro to Wrath was dunking or tossing but the boss fight was absolutely yeeting balls at targets. I'm pretty sure Rift was dunking-only and I don't think you could pass but throwing balls deffo pre-dates D2.

I need to get that "Throw it to me" emote just so I can school blueberries in The Corrupted. I got stuck in an instance the other night where the other two guys kept fucking dying and just refused to learn to pass the ball no matter how many times I rushed the relic station and handed one off.

Edit: Nevermind, I remember lobbing bombs at whatsisnuts' shield in the intro now. Definitely ball-tossing all through Wrath.

Though I'm kinda bummed I've never gotten to lug a drive shaft around in D2.

CptHamilton on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Wish Ender get! I love it! Shooting through enemies is hilarious fun. Not a "group play going through hard content" weapon, but definitely a "haha soloing bullshit shenanigans" weapon. I really enjoy the firing animation, too. The way the blue glowy energy fills up the handle and into the sword, and slowly drains out of the sword as you lose your grip on the knock... great stuff!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Found Cerebus+1 last night. That's a very fun autorifle. good ol' bullet hail itself, basically.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    So I've been trying to finish up, I think the Malfeasance quest? Final step is depositing at on of motes in gambit and 10 wins?

Man, been trying to get those 10 wins all season. Gotten 5 so far. This is after playing Gambit 4 or 5 times a week, sometimes more, every week since the season began. So I guess my win ratio is something like 10%?

I guess I'm just terrible at gambit and am probably the reason my team always loses. Hard to think of another reason.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Finally got a run in on Spire of Stars with a pair of Sherpas and 4 newcomers.

That was pretty neat and fun! We struggled several times on the final phase fight (including a time where I nearly clutch saved the last stand ball throw by grabbing a second ball after someone died, but my throw bounced off of Calus-bot's head rather than hit Ca'our), but we eventually got it.

This fight is totally reasonable now, highly levelled and with murder weapons and supers and buffs and debuffs. I can totally see how this fight was a source of aggravation when you had to do more than one cycle and when you didn't have special ammo and when enemies could quickly murder you…. But at least in the current world, it was a neat fight mechanically and with the kind of adds to deal with. So if you are still working on your Triumph for it, don't be scared, it's not that bad anymore.

But like everything Calus does, his targeting and weaponry defense GUI is way overcomplicated.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    So I've been trying to finish up, I think the Malfeasance quest? Final step is depositing at on of motes in gambit and 10 wins?

Man, been trying to get those 10 wins all season. Gotten 5 so far. This is after playing Gambit 4 or 5 times a week, sometimes more, every week since the season began. So I guess my win ratio is something like 10%?

I guess I'm just terrible at gambit and am probably the reason my team always loses. Hard to think of another reason.

Because Gambit kinda sucks..?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Finally got a run in on Spire of Stars with a pair of Sherpas and 4 newcomers.

That was pretty neat and fun! We struggled several times on the final phase fight (including a time where I nearly clutch saved the last stand ball throw by grabbing a second ball after someone died, but my throw bounced off of Calus-bot's head rather than hit Ca'our), but we eventually got it.

This fight is totally reasonable now, highly levelled and with murder weapons and supers and buffs and debuffs. I can totally see how this fight was a source of aggravation when you had to do more than one cycle and when you didn't have special ammo and when enemies could quickly murder you…. But at least in the current world, it was a neat fight mechanically and with the kind of adds to deal with. So if you are still working on your Triumph for it, don't be scared, it's not that bad anymore.

But like everything Calus does, his targeting and weaponry defense GUI is way overcomplicated.

If it makes you feel better about the ball throw, you might not have had the last second save anyway. After you throw your first ball, you lose the buff that causes the ball to do massive damage to Ca'our's shield, so it still might not have been enough. Like most things in that raid, the mechanic is there to force everyone to do their part and reduce the ability to pick up the slack if someone messes up.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular

Unlikely, Gambit is very very swingy tbh. One person can definitely mess a team up, if they grab heavy and don't invade for example. However as long as your fundamentals are solid, you are definitely a contributing in a net positive way. Recently I'm seeing more folks running very dedicated boss melting builds, with oppressive darkness & bubble and fallen guillotine. That does create a bigger divide between "cheese" strat teams and regular ones I'm afraid.

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Personally I find myself losing more often in Gambit whenever I pick a loadout that's not good for it. I'd suggest that you use Jotunn as it's an amazing weapon that'll help with AOE add clear, killing powerful enemies and blockers quickly without using too much ammo, sniping unaware invaders, and boss damage. For heavy I'd suggest a Machine Gun if you're going to hunt invaders/invade yourself or a Sword if you're going to focus on boss damage.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    YerMum wrote: »

Unlikely, Gambit is very very swingy tbh. One person can definitely mess a team up, if they grab heavy and don't invade for example. However as long as your fundamentals are solid, you are definitely a contributing in a net positive way. Recently I'm seeing more folks running very dedicated boss melting builds, with oppressive darkness & bubble and fallen guillotine. That does create a bigger divide between "cheese" strat teams and regular ones I'm afraid.

Yeah, Gambit hugely rewards good strategy and good teamwork. It's got some of that MOBA-feel to it where you need everyone to be pulling their weight or you are kinda fucked. And running a proper loadout for it will massively massively improve your performance and that of your team.

It's basically why the entire gamemode is broken.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Yeah, Gambit itself in my opi-
    shryke wrote: »
    Yeah, Gambit hugely rewards good strategy and good teamwork. It's got some of that MOBA-feel to it where you need everyone to be pulling their weight or you are kinda fucked. And running a proper loadout for it will massively massively improve your performance and that of your team.

....nevermind, beaten.

Anyways....I like Gambit. I hate playing with people I don't know in Gambit.

So I hate Gambit.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    taco543taco543 Loser CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Yeah, Gambit itself in my opi-

....nevermind, beaten.

Anyways....I like Gambit. I hate playing with people I don't know in Gambit.

So I hate Gambit

This. This to a tee. If I recall I'm like Diamond or Platinum according to destiny tracker in terms of Gambit. I constantly feel like I'm doing all the carrying. Back in the day before they nerfed the mobility of bottom tree dawnblade, I would be the only one to invade and would average 3-4 kills each invade. Then as time went on and more people that think they know what they're doing invade, I stopped doing it because it wasn't worth the headache for me and instead went on to constantly being largest banker and highest boss DPS. So yeah. Gambit is absolute trash. With a team that doesn't know what they're doing. But get the right team together go on a ten game winstreak just getting hate messages and its just amazing. lol

• Options
    The only version of Gambit I enjoy is the Contact encounter. Non-competitive Gambit vs. a timer.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    The only version of Gambit I enjoy is the Contact encounter. Non-competitive Gambit vs. a timer.

There is also PvE gambit in raid/dungeon stuff. Those are fine.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I finally bought Bastion using my cipher because I'm sick of being killed by it, and the game is like fuck it, free triumphs
    https://youtu.be/K5zs1DHjb24

• Options
    OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    That Izanigi's burden ornament available for bright dust is pretty cool

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I finally bought Bastion using my cipher because I'm sick of being killed by it, and the game is like fuck it, free triumphs

That looks like all of the lore pages from Corridors of Time.

I'm surprised Bungie had the foresight to award those along with the weapon. I figured they would be lost forever if not obtained from that activity.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Also Gambit has a bunch of special weapons you earn by doing stuff that might not be what the most helpful thing is for your team. So people are working on earning their stuff instead of helping each other win, which can be frustrating.

• Options
    Arteen wrote: »

That looks like all of the lore pages from Corridors of Time.

I'm surprised Bungie had the foresight to award those along with the weapon. I figured they would be lost forever if not obtained from that activity.

I think it's actually worked that way since all the way back in Season of Dawn.

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Gambit is great because speed and loadout choice actually matter. The only complaints I have are about Armaments mods and heavy ammo RNG largely determining how good you can do, and invader exotics such as Truth.

• Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Also Gambit has a bunch of special weapons you earn by doing stuff that might not be what the most helpful thing is for your team. So people are working on earning their stuff instead of helping each other win, which can be frustrating.

This has been a Bungie issue with all of the game modes for years and they just do not give a shit.

• Options
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »

This has been a Bungie issue with all of the game modes for years and they just do not give a shit.

On the one hand, they made some terrible triumphs that force you to play in specific or silly ways and yeah it can be dumb.

Oh the other, they can force you to try a new loadout or approach which may help you find a new kit or loadout you like. And it helps keep people in the playlist long-term. Aside from the titles, the Pinnacles are just about the only PvP thing to chase for a long time. It's easy as hell to get IB armor and Trials gear most people collected last season. Just funny to me, the pinnacles didn't even need to be particularly strong people would have still tried for them.

• Options
    I'll admit, I'm one of those people who make others' Gambit experience worse at times. I'm really not all that competitive, and I am most certainly not the best, so winning and losing Gambit doesn't bug me as long as I make progress on whatever I happen to be working on. Still, I am normally tops on my team for boss damage, so at least I feel like I am contributing. I also understand the mechanics and do try, even if I don't always succeed. Stupid arthritis developing in my hands.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    I'll admit, I'm one of those people who make others' Gambit experience worse at times. I'm really not all that competitive, and I am most certainly not the best, so winning and losing Gambit doesn't bug me as long as I make progress on whatever I happen to be working on. Still, I am normally tops on my team for boss damage, so at least I feel like I am contributing. I also understand the mechanics and do try, even if I don't always succeed. Stupid arthritis developing in my hands.

Don't worry, I'm the guy constantly invading and trying to make the enemy team miserable. We all play how we like to play.

https://youtu.be/-nzb2GyYDAU

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    The main time I'm working at side purposes to my team is when the weekly gambit quest is that stupid "cast Supers and make orbs" one. The only way to get that shit done in any reasonable number of games is to focus 100% on just getting your super as quick as possible and then blowing it on clearing ads. Even during the boss phase you need to use your super on the ads that spawn before the boss is vulnerable because it counts super kills.

• Options
    The main time I'm working at side purposes to my team is when the weekly gambit quest is that stupid "cast Supers and make orbs" one. The only way to get that shit done in any reasonable number of games is to focus 100% on just getting your super as quick as possible and then blowing it on clearing ads. Even during the boss phase you need to use your super on the ads that spawn before the boss is vulnerable because it counts super kills.

At least that helps clear waves quickly and increases the potential speed your team banks motes.

Remember the quest to get Hush? Use a f'ng bow? Pre-Trinity Ghoul catalyst?

• Options
    Yup I freaking *hate* that damn bounty. Not so bad on Warlock and Titan at least since you can extend their supers, Hunters have it rough though. Even Raiden Flux doesn't work that well.

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Hunters can finish the entire quest in one round of sudden death by using Shards of Galanor, because of the way super regen works.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Xagar wrote: »
    Hunters can finish the entire quest in one round of sudden death by using Shards of Galanor, because of the way super regen works.
    They can? It counts super kills, there aren't that many ads in the boss phase, and you don't get instant super unless every blade hits something which means unless you're targeting the boss, you don't get your super back *that* fast.

It also means you're playing 3 rounds in a single match of gambit, which is itself excruciating.

Catalase on
  • Options
    Catalase wrote: »
    They can? It counts super kills, there aren't that many ads in the boss phase, and you don't get instant super unless every blade hits something which means unless you're targeting the boss, you don't get your super back *that* fast.

It also means you're playing 3 rounds in a single match of gambit, which is itself excruciating.

And here I was thinking last night how nice it is that they switched to the sudden death thing for the third round instead of how it used to be where it was just another round like the other two.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    the mountaintop quest can go fuck itself, jesus. i can't kill anyone for shit with these one shot grenade launchers, much less three in one life

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    cursedking wrote: »
    the mountaintop quest can go fuck itself, jesus. i can't kill anyone for shit with these one shot grenade launchers, much less three in one life

Having recently done this myself: yep.

I got best results for multikills using Militia's Birthright (you should have one from the Exodus seasonal mission) in momentum control, where it's a reliable one-hit that isn't dependent on heavy ammo.

Yes, it relies heavily on lucking out hitting multiple people at once, but you can go to contested points or lurk nearby and ambush capping groups because there's no radar

E: you meant calculated trajectory medals, sorry - same advice but use Fighting Lion in momentum control and focus on surviving to get those three kills.

Huggles on
  • Options
    edited July 2020

My heavy recommendation is to find a single shot with Proximity Detonation. It makes a huge difference in hitting a target or not for me, to the point where ones without it feel wrong and useless to me.

Also I will say half my MT kills came from spamming Colony in 6v6. It is a multikill monster if you time it right.

In the end you probably won't need MT since it's getting binned, aside from busting it out in general PvP for yuks

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular

My heavy recommendation is to find a single shot with Proximity Detonation. It makes a huge difference in hitting a target or not for me, to the point where ones without it feel wrong and useless to me.

Also I will say half my MT kills came from spamming Colony in 6v6. It is a multikill monster if you time it right.

In the end you probably won't need MT since it's getting binned, aside from busting it out in general PvP for yuks

I wasn't going to, but now i have until november and it's like...well.......

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    Catalase wrote: »

Super regenerates faster in sudden death, and iirc there's some weird interaction with shards that basically instantly refills your blade barrage every time. It's dumb. And also hilarious?

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    Momentum is where you do the Mountaintop quest. Wait until we have Momentum and then grind Momentum. One shot kills on all grenade launchers.