As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam]-vember. Time to stuff yourself full...of games.

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    I ambushed the next party of worker ants that tried to raid my base. I turned them into ant goo. And then I went hunting more.

I made armor of their parts. I filled a chest full of heads and torsos for future use.

I savored the taste of sweet vic--

they retaliated with soldiers ants?

Well fuck....

Sounds like you need to kill the queen.

Or overthrow the queen.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    I ambushed the next party of worker ants that tried to raid my base. I turned them into ant goo. And then I went hunting more.

I made armor of their parts. I filled a chest full of heads and torsos for future use.

I savored the taste of sweet vic--

they retaliated with soldiers ants?

Well fuck....

Sounds like you need to kill the queen.

Or overthrow the queen.

Just interest the Queen in Falconry, and watch the problem take care of itself.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »
    So what is the trigger this thread?

A new game?

A new launcher?

A new "MNC Dover" ?

Either way this new thread feels nice and comfy like the old one but with a better sound system.

If you don't post, you can't be gifted

I don't seem to remember that working last time . . .

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    The horns echo. Fear invades regions, spreading terror. People oblivious, sanguinely traipse. Overcast night. Panic and grief erupt. The warnings ominous.

You've been warned....

The horns echo.
    Fear invades regions, spreading terror.
    People oblivious, sanguinely traipse.
    Overcast night.
    Panic and grief erupt.
    The warnings ominous.

T h e
    F i r s t
    P o s t
    O n
    P a g e
    T w o

You were warned @destroyah87...

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The horns echo. Fear invades regions, spreading terror. People oblivious, sanguinely traipse. Overcast night. Panic and grief erupt. The warnings ominous.

You've been warned....

The horns echo.
    Overcast night.
    Panic and grief erupt.
    The warnings ominous.

T h e
    F i r s t
    P o s t
    O n
    P a g e
    T w o

Damn, well played. Line 3 keeps bugging me for some reason though.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Completed Omensight!

Twas a compelling and ambitious game with some janky combat at times but I thoroughly enjoyed the experience

Thanks again to @Asthariel for the gift!

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I spent a few hours in Grounded. It looks amazing, and it definitely has a few neat systems, like the different types of bugs fighting each other, or the ant swarms, but it's still a bit too early access for me. I'm glad it was on gamepass, as I'm going to have to give a few more months in the oven. It does have a promising base to build on though

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

You've been warned....

The horns echo.
    Overcast night.
    Panic and grief erupt.
    The warnings ominous.

T h e
    F i r s t
    P o s t
    O n
    P a g e
    T w o

Damn, well played. Line 3 keeps bugging me for some reason though.

Look, it's hard to write out a hidden message, have it make sense, and NOT look like a hidden message. :biggrin:

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Drink more Ovaltine

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Thanks for stepping on that landmine for us Destroyah. We'll never forget your brave sacrifice.

• Options
    MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    I can see a lot of folks playing Grounded and running out of "things to do" quickly, those people should not play standard sandbox survival games. Ever.

However, if you are a fan of sandbox survival games and would like one that will have a more directed story along with being fairly easy to pick up and play, that has 4 player co-op, and best of all you're super tiny and fighting for your life against the denizens of your backyard while building out of grass planks, dandelion logs, acorn shells, and more...Grounded may be for you!

There is a LOT of promise and I'm perfectly happy that I picked it up early as I hope the gameplay I get out of it now along with the feedback I send them can help develop this into a really great game with a fun twist away from all the serious survival games devs keep trying to push out to get a piece of the pie.
    • I have yet to ride a ladybug, but I killed one.
    • I have taken down an orb weaver, but not the dreaded wolf spider.
    • Ant raids are definitely a thing and I was also not expecting the dang soldiers.
    • Larva are jerks with stupid mandibles and I am on a crusade against them.

• Drinking dewdrops is lovely.
    • Aphids are cute, but I do want to make shoes out of them.
    • Ant armor has made hauling big materials so much better, as it should.
    • Deciding to take a day to go grub hunting was fun.

And finally, I didn't quite understand why I could make a gas mask from some mite fuzz and weevil parts, but I saw why before I stopped for the night.
    I am also amused by BURG.L - if you know, you know.

steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Playing a first few missions of Othercide, some impressions:

First, damn the game is stylish as hell. Second, it is very unforgiving in placement - the difference between absolutely stomping and being slashed to ribbons is very minor.
    The micromanagement of the timeline is a fantastic innovation on the genre, and the sacrifice mechanism is a really interesting play. I had never heard of this game until mentioned in the thread, but I'm a sucker for xcom style games. I look forward to punishing myself in this one with stupid errors.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I must've done something bad, because I was Grounded by @MNC Dover
    qsspi3ontxyb.jpg
    Thank you! I was always going to buy this at some point.
    Now, what should I do in response to this most unprovoked aggression?

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    I must've done something bad, because I was Grounded by @MNC Dover
    qsspi3ontxyb.jpg
    Thank you! I was always going to buy this at some point.
    Now, what should I do in response to this most unprovoked agression?

The answer is obvious.

• Options
    Now wait a minute, why are we gift-escalating?

yhd5vzyz8ucj.png
    xzd5uqr4qzti.png

I've been playing Pirate Outlaws on iOS and it's awesome! Unfortunately, it's very grindy, which the PC version removes. So, I'm definitely hyped about getting to play some Pirate themed Slay the Spire at the comfort of home.

As for Carrion, gory/horror games aren't my jam, so I declined it. Neat concept, just not my thing.

Thanks! You Monster! I'll try my best not to send 3 games back.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

I've been playing Pirate Outlaws on iOS and it's awesome! Unfortunately, it's very grindy, which the PC version removes. So, I'm definitely hyped about getting to play some Pirate themed Slay the Spire at the comfort of home.

As for Carrion, gory/horror games aren't my jam, so I declined it. Neat concept, just not my thing.

Shame that that style of game isn't thing. The gameplay gave me Mark of the Ninja vibes albeit much shorter. There's a dearth of games that do that.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options

Shame that that style of game isn't thing. The gameplay gave me Mark of the Ninja vibes albeit much shorter. There's a dearth of games that do that.

Ugh, that sucks. Mark of the Ninja is one of my favorite all-time games. But all the ickyness and camera movement makes me sick. :bigfrown:

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »
    Just popping in to say you should all play Grounded, it is Honey I Shrunk the Kids crossed with Conan Exiles as made by Obsidian.

the trailer is also pretty great....
    https://youtu.be/Cn_CDrA80VI

Okay this looks amazing. Time to see if it's on PS4 and has online coop. :)

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    jclast wrote: »
    Just popping in to say you should all play Grounded, it is Honey I Shrunk the Kids crossed with Conan Exiles as made by Obsidian.

Considering the publisher, I'd be surprised if it was!

Online co-op is a yes, though :)

Jazz on
  • Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular

This plus Pixie.... I'm gonna buy this by the weekend, aren't I?

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

What a terrible thread for a curse.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Drink more Ovaltine

A secret message from Annie herself!

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Mudzgut wrote: »
    I can see a lot of folks playing Grounded and running out of "things to do" quickly, those people should not play standard sandbox survival games. Ever.

However, if you are a fan of sandbox survival games and would like one that will have a more directed story along with being fairly easy to pick up and play, that has 4 player co-op, and best of all you're super tiny and fighting for your life against the denizens of your backyard while building out of grass planks, dandelion logs, acorn shells, and more...Grounded may be for you!

There is a LOT of promise and I'm perfectly happy that I picked it up early as I hope the gameplay I get out of it now along with the feedback I send them can help develop this into a really great game with a fun twist away from all the serious survival games devs keep trying to push out to get a piece of the pie.
    • I have yet to ride a ladybug, but I killed one.
    • Ant raids are definitely a thing and I was also not expecting the dang soldiers.
    • Larva are jerks with stupid mandibles and I am on a crusade against them.

• Drinking dewdrops is lovely.
    • Aphids are cute, but I do want to make shoes out of them.
    • Ant armor has made hauling big materials so much better, as it should.
    • Deciding to take a day to go grub hunting was fun.

And finally, I didn't quite understand why I could make a gas mask from some mite fuzz and weevil parts, but I saw why before I stopped for the night.
    I am also amused by BURG.L - if you know, you know.

So if ARK and Honey I Shrunk the Kids had a baby that was raised by Subnautica?

That sounds very interesting, but it will have to wait until I burn out on simply ARK first.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    I'm playing Grounded through the Xbox Game Pass for PC. It has 'cross play' between it, XBoxen, and Steam too. The trial for it is cheap or free, too. Anyway, I got eaten by ants my first save and it seemed like their ant aggro carried over to my new life so I decided to restart. Which was good, cuz it was only then that I discovered I had to Analyze things to get new recipes. Game should tie me over until Horizon Zero Dawn comes out next Friday.

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Zetx wrote: »
    I'm playing Grounded through the Xbox Game Pass for PC. It has 'cross play' between it, XBoxen, and Steam too. The trial for it is cheap or free, too. Anyway, I got eaten by ants my first save and it seemed like their ant aggro carried over to my new life so I decided to restart. Which was good, cuz it was only then that I discovered I had to Analyze things to get new recipes. Game should tie me over until Horizon Zero Dawn comes out next Friday.

Does nobody ever actually read tutorial messages? :lol:

My kid was playing this last night and afterwards, we were talking and he says "it took me forever to realize I had to get water from dew drops" and I just... like.... it was one of the first things the game tells you to do!

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    edited July 2020

My kid was playing this last night and afterwards, we were talking and he says "it took me forever to realize I had to get water from dew drops" and I just... like.... it was one of the first things the game tells you to do!

not reading tutorials or just not having a game language expectation is probably cause of tons of frustrations in players.

I've spent time thinking on how much games tend to use/re-use/re-invent mechanics within and across genres. It's super interesting to see how people approach games if they don't have that experience built up or its from different games.

I mean, water from dew drops just soulds like an obvious source for water within the game's theaming.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

I'm out.

I mean, I should have known there'd be giant arachnids, but that is just 100000% fuck that for me. Hell, the medium large spiders and scorpions in ARK already give me the shivers.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

I'm out.

I mean, I should have known there'd be giant arachnids, but that is just 100000% fuck that for me. Hell, the medium large spiders and scorpions in ARK already give me the shivers.

There are always spiders.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular

not reading tutorials or just not having a game language expectation is probably cause of tons of frustrations in players.

I've spent time thinking on how much games tend to use/re-use/re-invent mechanics within and across genres. It's super interesting to see how people approach games if they don't have that experience built up or its from different games.

I mean, water from dew drops just soulds like an obvious source for water within the game's theaming.

Yeah, I remember when my mom was first getting into PC gaming she called me because she needed to grab something off a low shelf in a video game. She knew she needed to crouch down or something similar but didn't know how. I told her to press 'c' or left control. Afterwards she asked me how she was supposed to know and all I could say was "ancestral gaming knowledge".

• Options
    MudzgutMudzgut OhioRegistered User regular
    Grounded.

The hunt for the bombardier beetle was a failure. Whether it was just too strong or I was just unprepared in my tactics, I may never know. What I do know is that a wolf spider lives near the battlefield and I fled. I fled home, to where I felt safe. To where I could collect my thoughts, gather some food and water from my mushroom farm and dew collector and just take a moment to rest.

...but that moment never came.

As I turned the corner to my homestead, battle music ensued. LARVA! They were attacked my home, my storage, my workbench, everything! I ran in to fight the good fight against what appeared to be an ever increasing swarm of the massive mandibled monstrosities. After using my club to stun and kill 4 of them, more arose! Then the worst case scenario happened. They managed to get to my storage chest...and break it. Now I was not only fighting the swarm of larva, but the explosive entrance of the lag monster. Life slowed to a stuttering crawl as I tried to work my way through the hell that was around me. Eventually, I did manage to kill all the larva and although my various items were flying all over the area, without the larva to knock them about more, the lag monster also began to retreat.

I set to work in an attempt to repair and rebuild. A new storage house would be needed, somehow stronger than the last, more defended. In order to do that though, I needed to take stock and so some quick baskets were made and I set to the task of cleaning up the area. A bit further along and I created a nice clay foundation and placed my first new storage chest upon it. Then, while focused on the tasks at hand while night began to close in...

...that DAMN WOLF SPIDER ATE ME.

(And with my lunchtime over, it's back to work, knowing my base was decimated and I have been eaten. Stupid wolf spider, don't you know I once had a wolf spider IN MY MOUTH?! I will have my revenge!)

steam_sig.png

Twitch/Mudzgut
    Fall down seven times. Stand up eight.
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

I'm out.

There are 6 (?) different arachnophobia settings for the game, ranging from making spiders only have 4 legs to spiders being basically just colorful orbs. So you're safe.

They actually went balls out with various kinds of accessibility options and considerations for various player needs.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    People who put a lot of time into Othercide should let us know if the game tapers off or gets very reptitive/monotonous. That's my major concern. You'll be repeating missions with very few changes and no additional plot to just prep for a boss you will fight in several hours.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

I'm out.

The Dev's have you covered!

https://www.polygon.com/2020/6/16/21293521/grounded-arachnophobia-mode-slider-screenshots

Edit: Curses! whyyyy does PA forums do this to me? i *refreshed* the page, no posts, i *post* and there are posts! anyway, a Link for Kal to show what Pixie said.

Heroth on
    1Gn4PNI.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Considering the publisher, I'd be surprised if it was!

Online co-op is a yes, though :)

If only I could read!

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I am reasonably OK with spiders as long as they are less than tarantula sized and not actually touching me. I can even deal with the big ones as long as they are on the other side of a window.

On the other hand, after a few decades of marriage I can more-or-less reliably guess the size and proximity of the spider my wife has just seen by the volume and pitch of the shriek.

So this is a pretty good accessibility option in my mind.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

https://youtu.be/GkpgP8ovFZQ

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

I think it can also be that you're often overwhelmed with tutorial tips in the first 15 minutes of a new game and it's easy for some to seem less important than whatever immediate goal you have in front of you. I've often find myself at a loss for how to do something, with a vague thought that I'd learned the skill, but it was a one off event, somewhat tenuously connected to what I was doing at the time.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    Heroth wrote: »

I'm out.

The Dev's have you covered!

https://www.polygon.com/2020/6/16/21293521/grounded-arachnophobia-mode-slider-screenshots

Edit: Curses! whyyyy does PA forums do this to me? i *refreshed* the page, no posts, i *post* and there are posts! anyway, a Link for Kal to show what Pixie said.

Four legged spiders actually sound freakier to me than 8 legged ones.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I think it can also be that you're often overwhelmed with tutorial tips in the first 15 minutes of a new game and it's easy for some to seem less important than whatever immediate goal you have in front of you. I've often find myself at a loss for how to do something, with a vague thought that I'd learned the skill, but it was a one off event, somewhat tenuously connected to what I was doing at the time.

I still recall not seeing the hint in GTAIV that I could call back and cancel hanging out. Next time I played it, it was there. I just didn't notice the first time.

This discussion has been closed.