As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PC Build Thread] Keep your human antivirus up to date

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Looks like you have the B450 Tomahawk in there - you need the B550 if you want to get the most use out of your NVMe drive. The B450 doesn't have PCIe 4.0, which M.2 drives need to get up to their full speeds.

Oh! The other thing I forgot to mention - if you're running any active installs of Windows 7 or 10 right now you don't need to buy a new key, you can just use your existing key. I used an 11 year old Windows 7 key that had gone through multiple PCs before to activate Windows 10 2 months ago and it worked.

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    May want to consider a better brand psu like 3clipse said. Especially since that gpu and cpu aren't cheap.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Honestly not sure I would go B450 for a 3900X. I think you're going to want better VRMs than that, so get a B550 or X570 board. E.g. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3Mxbt6/msi-mag-b550-tomahawk-atx-am4-motherboard-mag-b550-tomahawk

I also wouldn't spend the extra $50 on Windows Pro, I doubt it has anything you'll need or even want.

The 4xx series boards are completely fine for Zen 2 chips (as long as you can update the BIOS), the drive is the much bigger concern.

3cl1ps3 on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    My current PC is running Win7. I still prefer Win7, but it doesn't support the latest DirectX drivers, which are starting to become required for some newer games. Example: I bought Gears Tactics during the Steam summer sale, only to rudely find out that I can't run it on my current machine, not because I don't meet the hardware specs for it, but because I don't meet the software specs for it.

I don't own a Windows 10 key, so I've gotta get one. As much as I hate to upgrade to it, it's time.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Opinions on Realtek versus Intel LAN connections? The board I ordered (ASUS TUF x570) uses Realtek. If I'm that concerned about it being an issue, I should be able to get an Intel Lan Adapter, and correct it easily right?

I was looking at that Gigabyte board as an alternative, but it doesn't have enough fan connections for my case.

Lucascraft wrote: »
    My current PC is running Win7. I still prefer Win7, but it doesn't support the latest DirectX drivers, which are starting to become required for some newer games. Example: I bought Gears Tactics during the Steam summer sale, only to rudely find out that I can't run it on my current machine, not because I don't meet the hardware specs for it, but because I don't meet the software specs for it.

I don't own a Windows 10 key, so I've gotta get one. As much as I hate to upgrade to it, it's time.

No, this is my point, you absolutely do not. Your Windows 7 key will work to activate Windows 10. I did this 2 months ago with an eleven year old 7 key.

3clipse wrote: »

No, this is my point, you absolutely do not. Your Windows 7 key will work to activate Windows 10. I did this 2 months ago with an eleven year old 7 key.

Oh shit, really? Would you mind providing a bit of instruction on how to make that work?

I thought MS cut off the free Win7 upgrades a while ago. Like after some sort of specified grace period.

Use your old win 7 key and take the money you would've used for that license and put it into the psu

They initially had done a cutoff, you're right, but then eventually threw up their hands and made all 7 keys work forever in an effort to get people to finally move off the no longer supported OS.

You pretty much do a normal Windows 10 install, and then you give it your 7 key when it asks for it (just make sure your 7 PC is off and never connected to the internet again when you do this [there is a key de-registration thing you can do if you want to be extra safe]).

You can use this page on Microsoft's site to create install media for Windows 10 of your choice. I went with a thumb drive myself. Do note that it will format the thumb drive and delete everything else on it as part of the process so don't use one you have info you need on.

Do they allow the keys to be used on multiple systems? Like could I upgrade my current PC now and then just use the same key in 3-4 weeks when I have my new PC assembled?

Should work. It only gets mad if you have multiple PCs active using the same key simultaneously.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Do they allow the keys to be used on multiple systems? Like could I upgrade my current PC now and then just use the same key in 3-4 weeks when I have my new PC assembled?

Yes, and if you upgrade to Windows 10 and bind the license to a Microsoft account you don't even need the key when you build the new machince; you just deactivate the old pc and apply it to the new one I believe.

steam_sig.png
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    When you install using the Windows 10 installer on usb the you've created with Microsoft media creation tool before the installation step you can enter ANY Windows 7 key and it'll generate you a new Windows 10 key. At that point of the installer you aren't connected to the internet and I've verified that the Windows 10 keys it generates are different than the the original Windows 7 key that was inputted originally. I'm not even sure if they can tell if you use the same Windows 7 key multiple times on different Windows 10 installs but your mileage may vary there.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    There is also always the "just call Microsoft" fallback if nothing else is working. I don't think I've ever heard of MS customer support not activating a key if all the automatic stuff fails.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    I put my system together in late 2013 and it's served me well, but I've been dabbling in Blender and figure it's time to do the OCing I never got around to. I'm looking for good guides for a first timer as well as any general advice you guys have on the subject. Unless there's some reason not to I'm planning to OC all of my cpu/gpu/ram.

cpu: i5-4670k @ 3.4ghz
    gpu: gtx 770 4gb vram
    ram: 16gb (4x4) ddr3
    psu: seasonic m12II 620 bronze
    motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z87
    resolution: 1080p

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    What about the X570 Asus TUF mb? I grabbed it, it’s fairly cheap for a X570 and has most of the bells and whistles.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    What is your timeline for building? It may be worth holding out a month for the graphics card, Nvidias proposed launch was September for the 3000 series cards.

Even if it just means reduced prices on whatever 2000 series are left over.

3clipse wrote: »
    Looks like you have the B450 Tomahawk in there - you need the B550 if you want to get the most use out of your NVMe drive. The B450 doesn't have PCIe 4.0, which M.2 drives need to get up to their full speeds.

Oh! The other thing I forgot to mention - if you're running any active installs of Windows 7 or 10 right now you don't need to buy a new key, you can just use your existing key. I used an 11 year old Windows 7 key that had gone through multiple PCs before to activate Windows 10 2 months ago and it worked.

Some VRM tests here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf0-JoQLeJo

@Lucascraft you may want to check out this board (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7gxbt6/msi-b550-a-pro-atx-am4-motherboard-b550-a-pro) if you can find it in stock at a reasonable price when you go to build.

steam_sig.png
    I've heard iffy things cheap MSI boards. I'd just spend 60 extra bucks an get a b550 Tomahawk.

I've heard iffy things cheap MSI boards. I'd just spend 60 extra bucks an get a b550 Tomahawk.

I mean those concerns were all about crappy VRM heat performance (they use one of the shitty MSI x570 boards in this test) and that board has better results than the x570 ones.

steam_sig.png
    I figure I'll ask again: Realtek versus Intel LAN connections. Should I worry about having Realtek? Should I get an Intel LAN card?

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Smasher wrote: »
    I put my system together in late 2013 and it's served me well, but I've been dabbling in Blender and figure it's time to do the OCing I never got around to. I'm looking for good guides for a first timer as well as any general advice you guys have on the subject. Unless there's some reason not to I'm planning to OC all of my cpu/gpu/ram.

cpu: i5-4670k @ 3.4ghz
    gpu: gtx 770 4gb vram
    ram: 16gb (4x4) ddr3
    psu: seasonic m12II 620 bronze
    motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z87
    resolution: 1080p

Biggest thing I would recommend is upgrading your video card. I have the same CPU and RAM totals, but I went from an older 4GB radeon 470 to a new 8GB Radeon and it about doubled my performance without having to do anything else. An upgrade to an 8gb 2060 super would be a big performance boost.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular

If it is a an OEM key, technically no. the OEM license is only for one pc at a time.

In practicality, Microsoft doesn't care that much. They just want you on Windows 10. Windows 7 was a great OS in 2009, but it is not 2009 anymore.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    I figure I'll ask again: Realtek versus Intel LAN connections. Should I worry about having Realtek? Should I get an Intel LAN card?

I have never had a concern with Realtek, I have a mobo with dual ethernet and have seen no difference in the past. Currently using it and no issues.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    The only thing that really matters with LAN ports is the speed, and even then it only matters if you have a router that supports > 1 gigabit connections. Most people do not, so 2.5 or 10 gig LAN is meaningless for most people. If you happen to have your house wired with 10 gig switches or something, good on you!

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Ok, I recently got a new computer for the first time in 10 years. Acer n-50-600 UR1I

I had a local place transfer my old hard drive to the new computer because it has all my podcast editing stuff on it a few weeks ago. Last night I'm trying to do editing and it keeps grinding to a halt and becoming non responsive. Today I try again and this time it tells me the drive is unreadable/corrupted. Right now the plan is to just get a new M2 1TB SSD to move everything over to since I don't want to rely on an old hard drive to hang in there. How do I know which is an appropriate M2 SSD? While browing the selection, I'm seeing some with two notches cut out and others with 1 notch cut out, and I don't want to buy the wrong thing.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Ok, I recently got a new computer for the first time in 10 years. Acer n-50-600 UR1I

I had a local place transfer my old hard drive to the new computer because it has all my podcast editing stuff on it a few weeks ago. Last night I'm trying to do editing and it keeps grinding to a halt and becoming non responsive. Today I try again and this time it tells me the drive is unreadable/corrupted. Right now the plan is to just get a new M2 1TB SSD to move everything over to since I don't want to rely on an old hard drive to hang in there. How do I know which is an appropriate M2 SSD? While browing the selection, I'm seeing some with two notches cut out and others with 1 notch cut out, and I don't want to buy the wrong thing.

Can your computer accept an M.2 drive? I see no reference to M.2 on the product page or in the manual.

Were you using your old hard drive as a secondary drive? Did the machine come with a boot drive?

steam_sig.png
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

Can your computer accept an M.2 drive? I see no reference to M.2 on the product page or in the manual.

Were you using your old hard drive as a secondary drive? Did the machine come with a boot drive?

It has 2 M2 slots, came with a 500gb SSD boot drive, just using the old one for storage and because it already had all the stuff I needed on it

3basnids3lf9.jpg

It has 2 M2 slots, came with a 500gb SSD boot drive, just using the old one for storage and because it already had all the stuff I needed on it

Where did you find that information? Or can you take a picture of the motherboard? That might help. There are two "keyings" of M.2 drives, M key (one notch) and M&B key (two notches) and you likely want the M key type since they are faster.

steam_sig.png
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular

What is the old drive? Brand and model could help us determine a good replacement

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    There is also always the "just call Microsoft" fallback if nothing else is working. I don't think I've ever heard of MS customer support not activating a key if all the automatic stuff fails.

They didn't reauthorize my education version of Win 10.

Commercial ones though, they don't seem to give a shit about.

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    My wife keeps asking me what I want for my birthday so I'm tempted to mention a monitor upgrade. Right now I have 3 of these Dell U2312HM monitors. I was thinking it might be nice to upgrade to a 27" 1440p 120+Hz G-sync monitor.
    • Does it make sense to go 1440p at this point or should I be looking for 4K?
    • Are there any monitors in the <CDN$500 range that I should point her to?
    • And is HDR something I should want in a monitor?
    My current PC is an i5-4690K, 16GB RAM and a GeForce 1060 6GB card. I'm hoping to upgrade the GPU to a 3070 whenever that comes out and then maybe the rest of the PC a year later.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    My vote would be on 1440.

• V1mV1m Registered User regular
    My wife keeps asking me what I want for my birthday so I'm tempted to mention a monitor upgrade. Right now I have 3 of these Dell U2312HM monitors. I was thinking it might be nice to upgrade to a 27" 1440p 120+Hz G-sync monitor.
    My current PC is an i5-4690K, 16GB RAM and a GeForce 1060 6GB card. I'm hoping to upgrade the GPU to a 3070 whenever that comes out and then maybe the rest of the PC a year later.

How sharp are your eyes?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think the 1440p 120Hz monitor will rock your socks

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »

How sharp are your eyes?

The optometrist says they are better than 20/20 with my glasses or contacts but when I'm watching The Mandalorian on the TV, the only way I can tell when it's 4K and not 1080p is because it says 2160p at the top of the info screen.

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    For a 27", in real world "looking at shit" terms, 2k and 4k are both noticeable from 1080p, but without them side by side I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

2k nets far better performance because its half the pixels being rendered from 4k.

4k is awesome for TVs but for general use and gaming on a PC its overkill.

Get 2k 120hz HDR with either adaptive sync and never look back.

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    4k is amazing for productivity, but for gamming, 1440p at a higher refresh rate is definitely better. 1. GPUs still aren't quite good enough to push 4k at super high frame rates, and 2. 4k panels with high refresh rates are still like $1k+, and only have limited HDR support

steam_sig.png
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I recently got a 1440p 27 inch 144hz and it’s superb. 4K is for larger monitors and you also then need to get more expensive with all your components to pump out that much power.

This discussion has been closed.