As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [NHL] Thread - On Dadanov’s No-Trade List

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Isn't time SW Ontario got another team so people have an alternative to the never ending nightmare that is the Maple Oafs?

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    This "McDavid" kid seems pretty good

Le_Goat wrote: »
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Also, are we doing an NHL bracket for the playoffs starting...in 7 days?!
    That's still so mind-boggling that we'd still have any hockey right now. Aside from being August, it just seems like a bad idea given the pandemic. Of course, if it happens, I actually may take a day or two off to watch a World Cup-esque hockey playoffs schedule.

What if jagr didn't play those years in russia?

What if Mario didn't have a bad back and leukemia?

What is lindros didn't have the concussion?

I wonder who we will remember as the "what if" for covid

• chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular

Who?

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »

Who?

This guy:
    kk6m00llhdam.png

He's there to promote McDonald's newest sandwich, the McDavid.

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Watching the Tampa-Florida exhibition match right now. It's weird not having any audience noise, but it's kinda neat since you can hear a lot more of what the players on the ice are saying as they play.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    Watching the Tampa-Florida exhibition match right now. It's weird not having any audience noise, but it's kinda neat since you can hear a lot more of what the players on the ice are saying as they play.

Thanks for reminding me. As I look at the bench I’m asking myself “Who’s that?” As I slowly remember the new guys before the shut down.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Is it just me or are the cameras way different than normal?

50433.png?1708759015
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    H0b0man wrote: »

Thanks for reminding me. As I look at the bench I’m asking myself “Who’s that?” As I slowly remember the new guys before the shut down.

Ya they mentioned that Hedman was out and I had to frantically google what happened to him. Thankfully it's just a personal issue and he's going to meet back up with the team on Friday.

As for the cameras I honestly couldn't say. Hockey's been gone for so long I wouldn't even notice unless it was a major difference.

• quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote: »
    Is it just me or are the cameras way different than normal?

I read somewhere that they are taking the mesh down behind the goals which will allow for slightly different camera angles

Ya there isn't any netting above the glass. That's probably what is going on.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Now we just need to use w/e Fox Sports was doing to add an audience, but have every audience member also be someone in VR...

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Basically since they don't have an audience, they can use different camera angles.

Also at least for Toronto, they have a robocam similar to what is used at NFL games, that can follow the action instead of the stationary overhead camera in the scoreboard.

Ya once I started paying attention to it I def saw a lot more dynamic camera angles and close up shots than a normal game has.

• wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    For the TV presentation, for the exhibition games it's basically a "normal" broadcast, but for when the real games start, both rinks are going to have a total of 36 cameras in use for every game, when a normal number is about 24. We're going to see angles we've never seen before in TV broadcasts once the real game start because there are no fans in the stands.

And there aren't multiple networks competing for camera locations either, which is nice. What the league is doing to limit the number of people in the buildings is that each rink will have one network producing the video as a "world feed" that anyone broadcasting the games uses. Same idea as how the Olympics work. There's one video, and everyone uses it. NBC is producing all of the games in Toronto, and Sportsnet in Edmonton.

So for all these exhibition games, if you're watching the local broadcast (like i'm watching the avs/wild game on the Wild feed right now), it's the Minnesota Wild play by play guys calling the games from a studio watching monitors while Sportsnet employees are making the video.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    I feel like someone could do some interesting stat tracking on hit/giveaways/takeaways during this time because, afaik, this will be the first time in history where there will be games played where the stat keeper of those specific stats, will not be recorded by the home team (excluding Edmonton and Toronto games)

edited July 2020
    Watching the Washington-Carolina game and either they're doing some weird backwards audio thing or the ref just tried to summon the devil when announcing a pair of penalties.

edit- There's a clip of it on reddit.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/i099q0/this_ref_is_speaking_the_sims_language/

H0b0man on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    NBC is producing all of the games in Toronto

Ouch, sorry to hear that Toronto

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    edited July 2020
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Thanks Burtletoy I got a jersey for under$70 with that GC deal

Got home today and was excited cause I had an email from adidas saying it was delivered today. Got sad when I didn't see it on the porch or even find a notice from FedEx in my mailbox

Went on my second floor patio to water my plants and it turns out my friendly local FedEx worker had thrown my jersey onto my balcony!

~3 weeks ago I saw him and told him I'd be down in a minute and he offered to throw it, knowing it was clothing again, I said sure.

Last week I heard him yelling #201, 201, but I had just gotten out of the shower, so I told him to just drop it at the door and I'd be down.

So amazing and glad that he decided to throw it today while I was an work, and thankfully it was again soft clothing so he didn't break the package or my patio door. Good toss landed directly in front of the door and not on any of my plants!

Burtletoy on
  • JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    And here my fun delivery story is just that one of my best friends draws dicks on all my parcels when he delivers them lol

Tough to choose a winner there . . .

I hope that Malkin will be less hungover tomorrow after our birthday than I will be! I just have to watch a hockey game, he's gotta play in it!

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    I hope that Malkin will be less hungover tomorrow after our birthday than I will be! I just have to watch a hockey game, he's gotta play in it!

I already knew about Malkin, but hi5 from a fellow July 31ster.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    Guys, they are playing hockey like, right now

Hockey that counts, even!

Yay I get to wear my new jersey! Bought it as a celebration of my new job ... on March 20 which was the conclusion of my last full week working onsite.

Not wearing it outside though, cause it's 29°C out and that'd be nuts. Indoors a/c it is.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    I already hate this series. Don’t want the Oilers to advance because, well, they’re scary. Don’t want the Blackhawks to advance because fuck the Blackhawks. On the other hand, whichever one loses has a chance at first overall. This is evil.

Oh yeah ... Chelsea Dagger ... I forgot that was a thing

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    Man, Chicago has certainly taken the fans out of the game in Edmonton.

I gotta give credit, Hawks have scored more goals in this period then they did in round one of the 2017 playoffs.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    There were 8.5seconds on the clock when the first period ended??

Scorekeeper working remotely and had to deal with lag?

edited August 2020
    I was kinda annoyed at this graphic when the announcers said Only Crosby and Malkin or Crosby marleau has more than Kane and toews.

Cause, obviously, that also means Malkin Marleau also had more. So I looked it up.

The only thing correct about this graphic is ovie/backstrom. Literally every other set of numbers is incorrect

Edit: also Crosby Letang are also in 4th place at 266 and Malkin Letang is 248, to round out the entire top 5 with only penguin players. Suck it

Burtletoy on
    quovadis13 wrote: »

Scorekeeper working remotely and had to deal with lag?

Wasn't there a somewhat sizeable bruhaha at the end of the first? I thought they sent everyone to the locker rooms so they could check on penalties without making everyone wait to find out what the penalties were just to play 8.5 seconds before stopping again.
    Did I make that up? I genuinely can't remember; I've been floating through a fair number of games, replays, and highlights the last couple of days.

That was the oilers Blackhawks game, where it still showed 8sec on the clock, no penalties or scrums

I guess I'm just saying, the tsn(CBC? Sportsnet?) produced games aren't doing much better than the NBC ones.

Does Edmonton know that we're not doing exhibition games anymore? That these ones count?

edited August 2020
    The end of the second period they just didn't show the clock, which isn't any better, reallt

And, oh yeah, they missed one of the goals because they were showing a replay of, like, a faceoff won or some shit. I forgot about that

Burtletoy on
    Ya I was really confused by that.

Thought they had made a typo for a min before I realized that it was right and that NBC is just doing a shit job.

I thought someone in the thread said all the games in Edmonton are showing tsn feed and Toronto games are NBC, or did I have that backwards?

I'm which case I apologise and admit NBC is shit

From what’ve I’ve noticed from watching today, Edmonton is Sportsnet and Toronto is NBC.

This discussion has been closed.