As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The TV Thread: More for Less

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    For the price you pay--obviously, we all need to consider our own budgets, but I don't think I'll ever not think that 65" isn't a huge television, and $500 isn't a modest sum for a not just large but huge television--you're getting a lot. Rtings.com is kind of "eh" on it (or for that matter, almost all of the 65" televisions that come in at that price), but it does seem to be work above-average for video gaming (which is a strong point of Samsung sets).

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    For the price you pay--obviously, we all need to consider our own budgets, but I don't think I'll ever not think that 65" isn't a huge television, and $500 isn't a modest sum for a not just large but huge television--you're getting a lot. Rtings.com is kind of "eh" on it (or for that matter, almost all of the 65" televisions that come in at that price), but it does seem to be work above-average for video gaming (which is a strong point of Samsung sets).

It doesn't look like there are really any standout TVs at 65" and sub $750. At this point, I think name recognition is probably more important. I don't know anything about TCL or HiSense (two seemingly high-ish rated TVs), and I'm not sure chancing it on the most-used TV in the house (living room) is something I want to do.

Now to find a decent mount for the Visio I want to move to the gaming room. This one looks pretty good.

• Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    At that price, you have to choose your priorities. Basically, you can get superior picture quality without a "respected" name, or a very mediocre picture from one of the big 3.

If you've been happy with your old Vizio, their current models slot in right between the Chinese newcomers and Samsung/Sony on the price to performance scale. I have a 2019 M(8)-series that I bought on this basis, and it has not disappointed. Under $750 for 65" a year ago too, so I imagine that's still realistic.

Senna1 on
    Senna1 wrote: »
    At that price, you have to choose your priorities. Basically, you can get superior picture quality without a "respected" name, or a very mediocre picture from one of the big 3.

If you've been happy with your old Vizio, their current models slot in right between the Chinese newcomers and Samsung/Sony on the price to performance scale. I have a 2019 M(8)-series that I bought on this basis, and it has not disappointed. Under $750 for 65" a year ago too, so I imagine that's still realistic.

So in my $500 (ish) budget, what do you suggest? Which of the non-big-3 TVs is best in my budget and size (65")?

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    TCL. I know you aren't familiar with the brand but they've been knocking it out of the park with their sets. And they're Roku so you'll get every app you could ever want.

Please don't buy Vizio. I know they rate well, but their quality control has taken a nose dive over the past decade. They're really on the same level as Hisense (who last I knew was being sued by Sharp for making garbage TVs). Not quite Westinghouse bad, but not good.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    The Vizio M-class I used to own had nice color reproduction, decent (but not great) apps, and best of all, an awesome input selection: five HDMI ports (granted, only one did 4K/60hz), full component, and S-video.

I also had to swap it out 2 times before I got one without dead pixel spots on it. Not an issue I've had with Samsung by comparison. :bigfrown:

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Trying to get my ps2 with the component.cables through my new receiver, but wasn't sure which audio input to use?

Could anyone look at the pic below and tell me where I would plug in my red white audio cable for that AV 1 Component input?
    hsenj7ydr5b7.jpg

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
    You should be able to do any of them. The on screen menu should allow you to choose which audio input to use with the component input.

Should. I don't know what receiver that is, but that's generally the way it works. Worst case, AV2 I guess?

edited July 2020
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Please don't buy Vizio. I know they rate well, but their quality control has taken a nose dive over the past decade. They're really on the same level as Hisense (who last I knew was being sued by Sharp for making garbage TVs). Not quite Westinghouse bad, but not good.
    *shrug* In our family, the Vizios have been more reliable, and had better pictures, than the Samsungs we've owned. When we did have a problem with sets from each brand, Samsung said "tough luck, buy a new one". Vizio sent a tech to the house and fixed it (and it's continued to work without fault for 5+ years now).

The failure rate on these UHD TVs are all so high they're the one item I do buy extended warranties on, but I no longer believe you're buying superior quality/CS from the "premium" brands after dealing with both companies.

Senna1 on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    Trying to get my ps2 with the component.cables through my new receiver, but wasn't sure which audio input to use?

Could anyone look at the pic below and tell me where I would plug in my red white audio cable for that AV 1 Component input?
    hsenj7ydr5b7.jpg

I'm gonna say you'll need to put your PS2 output into the AV2 inputs using the stock cable. Did PS2 consoles come with component video cables in the US? Mine just had the standard yellow for video, red and white for stereo audio cable in the box. If you've got a component video 4 plug cord then I have to assume the audio cable goes into the orange socket on the left of the Y Pb Pr sockets, because there's literally nowhere else for it to go.

Donovan Puppyfucker on

hsenj7ydr5b7.jpg

I'm gonna say you'll need to put your PS2 output into the AV2 inputs using the stock cable. Did PS2 consoles come with component video cables in the US? Mine just had the standard yellow for video, red and white for stereo audio cable in the box. If you've got a component video 4 plug cord then I have to assume the audio cable goes into the orange socket on the left of the Y Pb Pr sockets, because there's literally nowhere else for it to go.

They didn't come with component, but you could buy component cables separately.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020

hsenj7ydr5b7.jpg

They didn't come with component, but you could buy component cables separately.

Yeah, that's what I got, was hoping to continue using the component cables. I have a Yamaha TSR 7850 that has the brand name "Black Noir' from Costco. Let me look through the on screen receiver menu....

Hey, it worked! Thank you both for the help! My last receiver had both component and video in the same little section.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Hey TV thread. Just bought a house, need a TV. Been looking at the samsung QLED TVs, but a lot of what I've read says that the 2019 models are superior, and I can't find a Q70 for sale. That said, I see the 65" TCL 8 is half off at best buy and I'm really tempted. It's a lot of TV for half off.

Also, is it possible to just buy the part of a wall mount that goes on the TV? This house has two mounts installed already, but I don't have the part ("bracket"? "plate"?) that attaches to the back of the TV on the vesa holes. Guessing I just have to buy another whole kit just to get the back part?

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    Hey TV thread. Just bought a house, need a TV. Been looking at the samsung QLED TVs, but a lot of what I've read says that the 2019 models are superior, and I can't find a Q70 for sale. That said, I see the 65" TCL 8 is half off at best buy and I'm really tempted. It's a lot of TV for half off.

Also, is it possible to just buy the part of a wall mount that goes on the TV? This house has two mounts installed already, but I don't have the part ("bracket"? "plate"?) that attaches to the back of the TV on the vesa holes. Guessing I just have to buy another whole kit just to get the back part?

The part that goes on the TV is really the more expensive part anyway. If the bracket on the wall has a model number you might be able to order the arms from the manufacturer, but at that point maybe just buy a new mount.

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular

The part that goes on the TV is really the more expensive part anyway. If the bracket on the wall has a model number you might be able to order the arms from the manufacturer, but at that point maybe just buy a new mount.

That's a good idea, thanks. The ones the owner left installed seem super sturdy, so it would be a pity to have to rip them down and replace them.

Also now I'm seeing this LG SM9000 for about the same price and am confused. Dang old TV shopping. There's a reason the last TV I bought was a Panasonic Viera in like 2007 (which I still love for the record, it just didn't make the last move with me).

OK wait am I crazy here? Here's the hardware I have (Sanus SLF7, which has been discontinued):
    H11eI2X.jpg
    So the only TV I've ever mounted was my girlfriends, and that one had these, like, hooks that connected to the TV. Am I looking at this wrong? Do I just screw the TV onto the holes on the arm bracket?

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    OK wait am I crazy here? Here's the hardware I have (Sanus SLF7, which has been discontinued):
    H11eI2X.jpg
    So the only TV I've ever mounted was my girlfriends, and that one had these, like, hooks that connected to the TV. Am I looking at this wrong? Do I just screw the TV onto the holes on the arm bracket?

You can, yeah. If the back of the tv isn't flat enough for that, you can get longer bolts and spacers, too.

Well hot damn, that's great news, thanks.

No need for spacers when washers will do. I definitely used five washers on each bolt on the install I finished about fifteen minutes ago.

Stupid Samsung and your deep bolts.

But yeah, that I frame should detach from the arm, and that's what you bolt to the TV. Sanus makes the best, easiest mounts.

My local BB has an open 65" TCL 8 for $749. I think it was their display model because there's no box. It's listed in "satisfactory" condition. I wonder if it's worth picking it up.

• JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    So the Sony X900H looks right up my alley. 1-1.5K budget, upgrading from a 60" 1080p. Looking to get the best bang for buck gaming visuals, movies is a plus but not a priority. Thinking about a 75" but it seems like realistically I would have to sacrifice too much in features or look at paying much more. This TV seems like a good middle ground, and considering I play exclusively on the PS4 and will be picking a PS5 up a Sony set seems like a good fit. Any other sets I should be considering?

Want to make sure I'm not rushing into buying this set.

JAEF on
    edited August 2020
    JAEF wrote: »
    So the Sony X900H looks right up my alley. 1-1.5K budget, upgrading from a 60" 1080p. Looking to get the best bang for buck gaming visuals, movies is a plus but not a priority. Thinking about a 75" but it seems like realistically I would have to sacrifice too much in features or look at paying much more. This TV seems like a good middle ground, and considering I play exclusively on the PS4 and will be picking a PS5 up a Sony set seems like a good fit. Any other sets I should be considering?

Want to make sure I'm not rushing into buying this set.

It looks like a very good set by all accounts. You mentioned a Playstation 4 and 5--there are significantly better video gaming sets mentioned in this thread (for starters, it doesn't have Freesync, which the PS5 will add support for, and PCs and Xbox One X consoles do have now), and really the singular aspect of Sony televisions for gaming, versus any other similarly competent television, was PSNow support....which Sony unceremoniously dropped from all their TVs three year ago anyway. Aside from some in-packaged PS4 promotional stuff possibly, to my knowledge there is nothing in that set unique to Playstation consoles (someone feel free to prove me wrong).

PS4 doesn't have freesync though, so that won't matter to you now anyway. And just as importantly, it's a perfectly competent LED television with lower input lag (an advantage you'll see with a few LED sets over OLED at this price point). It sounds like you'll be really happy with it.

Synthesis on
    For gaming, may consider a Samsung Q80T over Sony X900H - but it might blow your budget. Not a huge Samsung fan, but they do a good job supporting gaming-friendly features (like VRR) versus many others.

Senna1 wrote: »
    For gaming, may consider a Samsung Q80T over Sony X900H - but it might blow your budget. Not a huge Samsung fan, but they do a good job supporting gaming-friendly features (like VRR) versus many others.

The Samsung Q70 sets already come with Freesync and can match or beat Sony sets for low latency, you don't need to go up to the Q80 or Q90 for that necessarily. Speaking of these LCD/LED televisions in particular, unless you have a specific preference for Sony (which you could), there's really nothing gaming-related the Sony sets do that the Samsung sets don't do as good, or better.

Notably, the Samsung Q60, which is the bottom of that line, does not, according to Rtings.com. Which is curious, because the Q6FN had VRR and Freesync excluding the smallest model. Sony is just a lot slower when it comes to adopting VRR (which, to be fair, could be the PS4 influence, since neither model has it), at least compared to Samsung, who've carved out a niche as "the gaming televisions" for a while now.

In the end, I think brand preference could justify it (it's not like we know how many PS5 games will actually support variable refresh and freesync). I don't like Sony's UI and remotes personally (and don't give a shit about Android on a TV, because I don't use any TV smart apps), so I actually looked at other brands in preference. But if you did want Android on a TV, that sounds like more than good reason to give up Freesync support. You don't have the best gaming TV at that price point, but you still have one that can obviously be used for gaming.

Fair enough; I didn't mention the Q70T because Samsung stripped it of local dimming for 2020, which means it can't really compete with any of the other sets mentioned feature-wise.

Samsung really, really, wants local dimming to be a flagship feature I guess - which is undermined by the fact that it's mainstream on $500 Chinese TVs.

That's a reasonable point. The Q70T is less expensive than the Q70R at the same size (at last 65" set), so I guess that's how they cut corners for costs.

Yeah comparing across 65" models, Q70T is $100 less with no local dimming and edge-lit vs. full array, seems like a big sacrifice on picture quality. The Q80T looks flatly better but at $400 more which puts it well out of my price range. Both Samsung sets have native support the full gamut of Freesync/HDR10+ features, but with VRR coming to the X900H in a firmware update per Sony (and the PS5 explicitly supporting that VRR) and regular HDR10 supported, the X900H seems like a good middleground.

Biggest priority for me with the TV UI is responsiveness which the X900H gets good scores on, I don't really care about the rest. I generally use media apps via the PS4/PS5 because it's wired-in to my router.

It doesn't seem like there's a clear "this TV is just plain better at the same price point" alternative after doing some comparisons on rting with the models discussed. Appreciate the input & discussion!

I didn't know a firmware update was planned. That's good to know.

Also good to hear Sony's actually going to get off their ass about VRR in general (maybe it was because it wasn't available on PS4/PSFro, and people don't repurpose their sets as monitors). It's troublesome how the big manufacturers are doing model refreshes year-to-year-to-year-to-year, I'm glad that I replaced my Q6FN with a Q70R after it couldn't be repaired after months of trying, and got to keep Freesync, local dimming, and got slightly better viewing angles on top of it. Definitely times I wish I'd gone with the Q80R with more precise local dimming, but budget allowing, plus I wasn't really missing on any definitive features (and as it happens, I quit my job a few months after that).

Yes, the official Sony site notes that the HDMI 2.1 4K120 (which includes VRR and ALLM noted by all other spec websites) support for the TV is coming via a future update . This is the only Sony TV to include those features... ever, from what I read. The risks with the X900H are that the VRR/ALLM performance can't be tested yet (I'm not sure how variable those are, but that's why rtings lists it as "No"), and the HDMI 2.1 firmware update could be later than the PS5 release. I'm OK with both of those risks.

Freesync support on console games is still in a pretty early phase (considering it's only available on one model of Xbox One, it's not surprising only a few games have it).

I'm extremely dubious any time a television company says "this will be added in a firmware update" but that's just me.

Freesync support on console games is still in a pretty early phase (considering it's only available on one model of Xbox One, it's not surprising only a few games have it).

I'm extremely dubious any time a television technology company says "this will be added in a firmware update" but that's just me.

Good points for sure. I'm comfortable waiting another two or three months to see if they deliver on the update, or whether the Q80T gets any discounting.

Went ahead and ordered the SM9000. Gonna pick it up Friday. First TV I've bought in 13 years so I'm sure it'll blow my hair back.

Question: previous owner/builder put dope pvc pipe channels in the walls behind the tvs mounts that run down to furniture spots; does that piping obviate the need for in wall rated cabling?

Went ahead and ordered the SM9000. Gonna pick it up Friday. First TV I've bought in 13 years so I'm sure it'll blow my hair back.

Question: previous owner/builder put dope pvc pipe channels in the walls behind the tvs mounts that run down to furniture spots; does that piping obviate the need for in wall rated cabling?

No. Run the in wall cabling. It really doesn't cost any more for in wall HDMI cables vs regular cables.

Either one is probably safe. But just in case something happens, give your insurance company one less reason to deny a claim.

Righto, thanks 👍

I'm extremely dubious any time a television technology company says "this will be added in a firmware update" but that's just me.

This actually happens sometimes.

Sometimes.

I remember more than ten years ago, Dell promised a firmware update that would patch their Venue Pro smartphone (a neato little slider keyboard phone in the early WP7 ecosystem) to show the correct amount of RAM under system settings. And damned if they didn't, several months later.

...yeah, sometimes.

• Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    LG's been pretty decent with the fireware updates. I know my C7 got quite a few. Now it's probably because they were trying their asses off to help with burn in haha.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    LG's been pretty decent with the fireware updates. I know my C7 got quite a few. Now it's probably because they were trying their asses off to help with burn in haha.

Yeah, but they suck with them on their phones.

That's what I get for being a phone audiophile though.

Got tired of seeing the LG set's delivery get delayed more and more each day so I got impatient and picked up a 65" Sony X900H.

It's positively eye melting.

Also my karmic balance must be looking good, because I was able to hang it myself (DON'T DO THIS) without breaking it or myself. That perfect trifecta of dumb, strong, and impatient I guess.

Now to spend all weekend fucking around in the settings!

Got tired of seeing the LG set's delivery get delayed more and more each day so I got impatient and picked up a 65" Sony X900H.

It's positively eye melting.

Also my karmic balance must be looking good, because I was able to hang it myself (DON'T DO THIS) without breaking it or myself. That perfect trifecta of dumb, strong, and impatient I guess.

Now to spend all weekend fucking around in the settings!

First, yeah, don't hang a big TV alone. Our scopes just increased one man hangs to 55" which we're all throwing a fit about because it's not safe.

But also I'm seeing a lot of people taking about their new setups, but not a lot of visual proof. Give us that tech porn.