As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

National Protests are Still a Thing Because of [Police Brutality]

• TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular

The NYPD kidnapping an organizer of the peaceful 24 hour march today and throwing them in unmarked van from Abolition Park on Instagram.

Joshua Potash is providing this footage, though I cannot verify if it belongs to him. Still, it is an avenue to a primary source.

The NYPD is claiming they took her in for putting stickers on city owned cameras. You know, "vandalism" that is easily corrected and takes only a few minutes to fix so why is this a crime again, stuff.

Wow. If that's the punishment for vandalism, I wonder what the penalty for kidnapping is!

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular

The NYPD kidnapping an organizer of the peaceful 24 hour march today and throwing them in unmarked van from Abolition Park on Instagram.

Joshua Potash is providing this footage, though I cannot verify if it belongs to him. Still, it is an avenue to a primary source.

The NYPD is claiming they took her in for putting stickers on city owned cameras. You know, "vandalism" that is easily corrected and takes only a few minutes to fix so why is this a crime again, stuff.

Wow. If that's the punishment for vandalism, I wonder what the penalty for kidnapping is!

Paid leave?

• Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    My god, that's the first good news I've read in weeks.

Orca on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    My god, that's the first good news I've read in weeks.

I'm sure there was some good news this morning.

Can't remember what it was, though.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The NYPD statement about that kidnapping is amazing because they don't understand at all that everything about the claimed 'arrest' looked like a kidnapping. Non-uniform officers grabbing people and throwing them into a non-law-enforcement vehicle looks suspicious and scary. And they're like "no it's okay because accused of vandalism."

• silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular

Early this year I read Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland. Which was a fantastic historical look at the IRA/The Troubles in Northern Ireland. Its an amazing book. I can't recommend it enough, but...

I can't shake feeling like I need to re-read it not as a historical work but more for tips and tricks. Cause this shit is right out of the SAS playbook.

Protesters have been remarkably restrained this entire time. I can only imagine how the police would react if people fought back like the IRA during the Troubles.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    The NYPD statement about that kidnapping is amazing because they don't understand at all that everything about the claimed 'arrest' looked like a kidnapping. Non-uniform officers grabbing people and throwing them into a non-law-enforcement vehicle looks suspicious and scary. And they're like "no it's okay because accused of vandalism."

This whole thing feels like at some point down the line it's going to lead to a Miranda v Arizona style case.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    So the NYPD has the resources to use like 12 officers to arrest someone for putting up stickers

guess they're overfunded

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Defund the NYPD and their gang of uniformed criminals and hire social workers for the police stations instead. A little town in Kentucky of all places decided to hire a social worker instead of yet another cop. Repeat 911 calls dropped, 15% less people went to jail, and hte town was saving over $40k a year. They hired a second after that. As it turns out, actually helping people with their problems (instead of just punishing them with violent force) works and is more effective and is all around better with the long run.

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    1 in 9 NYPD officers has at least one confirmed case of misconduct.

A few bad apples my ass. If a grocery store sold people rotten food at that rate no one would ever shop there again.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    1 in 9 NYPD officers has at least one confirmed case of misconduct.

A few bad apples my ass. If a grocery store sold people rotten food at that rate no one would ever shop there again.

....spoiled the bunch, yes. But that was like, a century or more ago. Now it's a rotten bunch that ruins any good apple you put in.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    That has been kind of obvious for a while.

The story of the one police officer who was targeted for planning to whistleblow is batshit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Schoolcraft
    After voicing his concerns, Schoolcraft was repeatedly harassed by members of the NYPD and reassigned to a desk job. After he left work early one day, an ESU unit illegally entered his apartment, physically abducted him and forcibly admitted him to a psychiatric facility, where he was held against his will for six days.[1] In 2010, he released the audio recordings to The Village Voice, leading to the reporting of a multi-part series titled The NYPD Tapes. The same year, Schoolcraft filed a lawsuit against Jamaica Hospital and NYPD. In 2012 The Village Voice reported that a 2010 unpublished report of an internal NYPD investigation found the 81st precinct had evidence of quotas and underreporting. Both of Schoolcraft's claims were settled in 2015, with him receiving $600,000 for the NYPD portion of the lawsuit.
    Marino eventually ordered, "Just take him. I can't f
    stand him anymore."[4] The police found and confiscated one tape recorder, but the other one kept rolling.[2]

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    That has been kind of obvious for a while.

The story of the one police officer who was targeted for planning to whistleblow is batshit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Schoolcraft
    After voicing his concerns, Schoolcraft was repeatedly harassed by members of the NYPD and reassigned to a desk job. After he left work early one day, an ESU unit illegally entered his apartment, physically abducted him and forcibly admitted him to a psychiatric facility, where he was held against his will for six days.[1] In 2010, he released the audio recordings to The Village Voice, leading to the reporting of a multi-part series titled The NYPD Tapes. The same year, Schoolcraft filed a lawsuit against Jamaica Hospital and NYPD. In 2012 The Village Voice reported that a 2010 unpublished report of an internal NYPD investigation found the 81st precinct had evidence of quotas and underreporting. Both of Schoolcraft's claims were settled in 2015, with him receiving $600,000 for the NYPD portion of the lawsuit.
    Marino eventually ordered, "Just take him. I can't f
    stand him anymore."[4] The police found and confiscated one tape recorder, but the other one kept rolling.[2]

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

Oregon's governor says the feds have agreed to withdraw tomorrow.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Governor of Oregon

After my discussions with VP Pence and others, the federal government has agreed to withdraw federal officers from Portland. They have acted as an occupying force & brought violence. Starting tomorrow, all Customs and Border Protection & ICE officers will leave downtown Portland.

Our local Oregon State Police officers will be downtown to protect Oregonians' right to free speech and keep the peace. Let's center the Black Lives Matter movement's demands for racial justice and police accountability. It's time for bold action to reform police practices.

The alt-right is, predictably, livid.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I will believe it after it happens. But seriously, Federal Officers or Feds of any type have to have permission of a state to conduct shit like this. Without it they should be removed.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    It's nice to know that negotiating a ceasefire with the US Government can still be accomplished in these dark times.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    I will believe it after it happens. But seriously, Federal Officers or Feds of any type have to have permission of a state to conduct shit like this. Without it they should be removed.

I still don't agree with this as an overarching case. Without the feds going into a state over the governor's objections you don't get desegregation in the first place.

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Looks like they're just re-deploying to harass black people

CNBC Reporter

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

CNBC Reporter

I expect a pattern where they attack and withdraw until they can find softer targets to bully so they can feel tough and strong.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Oregon's governor says the feds have agreed to withdraw tomorrow.

Keeping fighting and we win

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Setting aside that the police seem to be planting “evidence” why are they on twitter posting about it?

In the best of worlds they would have a job to prevent and investigate crime and posting about shit you confiscated is strictly politicking. They can use twitter to warn the public about imminent dangers and that happens too.

“Look at this shit I found” isn’t something that the public needs to see on social media.

PSN: Honkalot
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Incenjucar wrote: »

CNBC Reporter

I expect a pattern where they attack and withdraw until they can find softer targets to bully so they can feel tough and strong.

I think them withdrawing shows you can get them to leave and weakens their bullshit reasoning. "Why are you here if you already left *blank*?" It also shows Trump's admin for all their fire and bullshit knows this is a loser with voters too.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    spool32 wrote: »

I still don't agree with this as an overarching case. Without the feds going into a state over the governor's objections you don't get desegregation in the first place.

Let me rephrase.

A president can't deploy unless there is a specific request (FEMA is an example of this) or if it is to protect the populace due to threats created by local forces against the population. The desegregation deployments are a bit messy but they are also were not policing actions.

Basically putting the military in defensively isn't the same a police action outside of jurisdiction.

And even then, unsteady ground as technically the military isn't suppose to go in without approval unless there is an overriding federal law or ordered intervention under law.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Welp.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/509554-trump-blasts-oregon-officials-over-portland-protests
    The Hill wrote:
    President Trump on Wednesday went on the offensive once again against Oregon Democrats who have opposed the presence of federal agents in Portland, calling Gov. Kate Brown (D) and Mayor Ted Wheeler (D) “very weak people.”

The president’s comments come after The Associated Press reported that the White House and Brown’s office are in talks to remove the federal officers from downtown Portland, where they’ve been since late June.

“As far as Portland is concerned, we’ve taken a very strong stance. They are anarchists, they’re radical, crazy people and they’re either going to straighten it out themselves — Portland, the police and maybe if the state gets involved,” Trump told reporters as he departed the White House for Texas.

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

The President and federal government already has tools at their disposal. Trump could declare a national emergency as an example, which carries a non-zero amount of political risk to him. He doesn’t want that kind of public declaration because he’s a coward, which is why he’s using secret police to circumvent the constitution.

Federal forces shouldn’t be able to unilaterally deploy to any state of city to enforce the law just because they want to when there isn’t a declared presidential emergency or a request from the local government.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

Let me rephrase.

A president can't deploy unless there is a specific request (FEMA is an example of this) or if it is to protect the populace due to threats created by local forces against the population. The desegregation deployments are a bit messy but they are also were not policing actions.

Basically putting the military in defensively isn't the same a police action outside of jurisdiction.

And even then, unsteady ground as technically the military isn't suppose to go in without approval unless there is an overriding federal law or ordered intervention under law.
    More simply:
    Desegregation efforts were enforcing the 14th amendment, and justified by the premise that the federal government is there to enforce the restrictions placed on state power by the Constitution.

This was basically the opposite of that.

• tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular

CNBC Reporter

They're kinda fucked, people know they can push the Feds out now. Everywhere they redeploy they are either going to get the same treatment - cause it works- OR if their instigating fails they are going to stand around guarding against nobody looking stupid. Which doesn't make for the "Look how tough I am" videos Donny craves.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Honk wrote: »
    Setting aside that the police seem to be planting “evidence” why are they on twitter posting about it?

In the best of worlds they would have a job to prevent and investigate crime and posting about shit you confiscated is strictly politicking. They can use twitter to warn the public about imminent dangers and that happens too.

“Look at this shit I found” isn’t something that the public needs to see on social media.

Part of the propaganda war.

The police brutalizing peaceful protestors might cause more people to turn against them, maybe even the media and some politicians. But if the protestors can be made out to be violent anarchists, as these totally real twitter posts totally prove, then the public might look more kindly on them brutalizing peaceful protestors FASCIST ANTIFA COMMIE TERRORISTS.

WotanAnubis on
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular

Let me rephrase.

For the military yes. For ICE though, the laws and codes they follow are vague and include stopping crime as part of their mandate. They have arrest powers and can act in cities and states that don’t want them (sanctuary cities). The intent behind that was to give them flexibility to stop crimes coming over any border and in any port city etc. this is a perverse view of their rules, and a less dysfunctional congress.

But they can operate pretty much anywhere and they can make arrests for crimes they see. That is why they are being used. The FBI has more limited functions prescribed by law which is why they weren’t used.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »

Part of the propaganda war.

The police brutalizing peaceful protestors might cause more people to turn against them, maybe even the media and some politicians. But if the protestors can be made out to be violent anarchists, as these totally real twitter posts totally prove, then the public might look more kindly on them brutalizing peaceful protestors FASCIST ANTIFA COMMIE TERRORISTS.

Yeah just read through all the responses to those tweets. “Totally peaceful protesters eh?” and shut like that. Even assuming it’s like 80% Russian bots, it’s still getting the narrative out there that antifa is stashing mags and firebombs and waiting to destroy the city...and there’s a base of people who will eat it up every time, without any question, because it’s what they want to believe to begin with.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

The President and federal government already has tools at their disposal. Trump could declare a national emergency as an example, which carries a non-zero amount of political risk to him. He doesn’t want that kind of public declaration because he’s a coward, which is why he’s using secret police to circumvent the constitution.

Federal forces shouldn’t be able to unilaterally deploy to any state of city to enforce the law just because they want to when there isn’t a declared presidential emergency or a request from the local government.

why not, though? Because we don't like Trump?

What about in 2021 when Governor Fuckstick of Some Redstate won't deploy police to stop the KKK burning black neighborhoods?

I don't see a doctrine where the fed has the power to do the things we like, but not the things we don't like.

spool32 on
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

CNBC Reporter

They’re redeploying to states Trump needs for the election

They’re redeploying to make campaign ads to target suburban voters in these states

What about in 2021 when Governor Fuckstick of Some Redstate won't deploy police to stop the KKK burning black neighborhoods?

I don't see a doctrine where the fed has the power to do the things we like, but not the things we don't like.

What you are saying would be a simple emergency order and putting down an insurrection.

There are laws on the books to actually specifically send in Federal troops for such things.

They aren't what is being used and do not apply to what the feds like the Bureau of Prisons teams are being used for.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

CNBC Reporter

I think them withdrawing shows you can get them to leave and weakens their bullshit reasoning. "Why are you here if you already left *blank*?" It also shows Trump's admin for all their fire and bullshit knows this is a loser with voters too.

Alternatively, they are appropriately concerned about drawing major attention to the illegitimate decisions made by their illegitimate DHS Secretary, DHS Deptuty Secretary, and USCIS Director. Cuccinelli's official titles are "Senior official tasked with duties of" the latter two, and the 'acting' positions are officially vacant. If this was a problem they intended to fix, then they could have, but chose instead to dig in their heels.

I'm not unconvinced this is why they backed off the student visa / remote learning thing so fast. I suspect the brutality itself only further polarizes an intractable culture war, and I suspect they're seeing that it's the rising perception/realization of institutional incompetence that actually undermines his support by breeding NeverTrumpers. See also: COVID

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

The president already has powers to protect states and cities from threats or issues if the local government is unable or unwilling to protect their constituents.

In your example of KKK and Governor Fuckstick in some Red State, the President could invoke the insurrection act or ask Congress to authorize a limited use or declare a local emergency, none of which Trump is doing.

Just because we can imagine or cite a scenario where the federal government using force in states and cities would be appropriate doesn’t make what Trump is doing is in the nation’s best interest. It’s very possible for there to be a clear line between using federal agents to protect people from the KKK, and secret police kidnapping protesters in an obvious violation of the constitution.

The feds doesn’t need this power, it has plenty enough already. Trump circumventing the law doesn’t mean we need to make up What If scenarios where ultra-liberal President Michael McDoesn’t-Exist needs to exercise the same actions that Trump is currently doing. Cause again, those measures already exist, Trump is just too lazy, evil, cowardly, and incompetent to do them.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    So the NYPD has the resources to use like 12 officers to arrest someone for putting up stickers

guess they're overfunded

Someone needs to calculate the actual cost to tax payers for this.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

guess they're overfunded

Someone needs to calculate the actual cost to tax payers for this.
    So for the officers, given roughly an average wage of 34 bucks an hour. Fully loaded (with fringe, G&A and overhead) it’s about 68 bucks an hour. 1 hour to arrest and transport the suspect. 1 hour to do the associated paperwork. So 24 hours total. It works out to be about 1600 bucks in direct costs. And the cost of holding them a day. Which looks to be about a hundo. So 1700 bonesish.

zepherin on
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Sincere non baiting question.

Why did federal law enforcement pick Portland Oregon as their Stalingrad?

I'm not understanding.

This discussion has been closed.