As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Listen to a [podcast] on the commute from your couch to your kitchen

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2020
    Tube wrote: »
    I can't really imagine listening to more than one D&D podcast, as someone who listens to zero.

I can't generally do audiobooks because I lose concentration too easily, so I get a lot of rewinding. But with podcasts, the flow of the language doesn't matter so much, and they're less tightly structured - game play podcasts in particular have a lot of ignorable guff which doesn't affect the core narrative. So I can listen while I clean or what-have-you, and still get that immersive feel of listening to a story, without dropping the thread or missing important info.

that said I've tried a few and there's very few gameplay podcasts I actually find bearable. Game mechanics are tedious as fuck*, that's probably part of it.

*was going to say "to listen to" but actually nah, just in general. Rules are the worst.

tynic on
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Serial Season 3 is very relevant to our current moment. It's less about policing and more about the whole justice system, but it's extremely good.

Season 2 is kind of whatever, and easily skippable unless you're really interested in Bowe Bergdahl or Afghanistan.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    So listening back through all that stuff The Worst Idea of All Time released from their patreon for quarantine madness purposes, one of the boys remarks that Debbie Does Dallas is a film in which a woman fucks a horse, this goes unchallenged I am here today to say that is simply not true and I cannot imagine what he was thinking of

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    The horse is called Dallas

Thats a good name for a horse but he is not in that film

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    Thats a good name for a horse but he is not in that film

The 70s were the golden years of horsefucking

I don't know horsefucking from apple picking all I'm saying is, nobody fucks a horse in Debbie Does Dallas put it on my tombstone

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Ubik wrote: »
    does anyone else use Pocket Casts to listen to Stitcher Premium shows?

today, all the podcast feeds updated to say [DEPRECATED] next to each episode, not sure what's going on

might be related to being sold to Sirius?

edit: nevermind, it looks like the person running the unofficial RSS feeds shut them down

Yeah, it sucks. I've cancelled my stitcher premium because I don't want to use multiple apps to listen to podcasts and I filled out the contact form on the website to tell them as such

I got basically the same response as everyone else "stick around, good stuff is coming"

They're just not interested in providing any external access which is a shame! I've proven I'll happily pay for the premium content as I've been a subscriber since the howl.fm days but hiding it behind an app is some stupid business model that they're sticking with no matter what

This week was my first week hearing ads on earwolf shows and I forgot how awful they were

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i mean really what good's an AP podcast that isn't being used to playtest a game written by the DM of the campaign

By which of course I'm talking about Interstitial and nothing else

Hobnail wrote: »
    I don't know horsefucking from apple picking all I'm saying is, nobody fucks a horse in Debbie Does Dallas put it on my tombstone

Prove it, wise guy

A three hour youtube frame by frame analysis video reveals that, inescapably, at 58:11 there in the far background and out of focus somebody is indeed getting fucked by a horse

• Quantum TigerQuantum Tiger Registered User regular
    He just rips that Ding Dong right off

• UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    Ubik wrote: »
    does anyone else use Pocket Casts to listen to Stitcher Premium shows?

today, all the podcast feeds updated to say [DEPRECATED] next to each episode, not sure what's going on

might be related to being sold to Sirius?

edit: nevermind, it looks like the person running the unofficial RSS feeds shut them down

Yeah, it sucks. I've cancelled my stitcher premium because I don't want to use multiple apps to listen to podcasts and I filled out the contact form on the website to tell them as such

I got basically the same response as everyone else "stick around, good stuff is coming"

They're just not interested in providing any external access which is a shame! I've proven I'll happily pay for the premium content as I've been a subscriber since the howl.fm days but hiding it behind an app is some stupid business model that they're sticking with no matter what

This week was my first week hearing ads on earwolf shows and I forgot how awful they were

yeah, i might not mind using 2 different apps if the Stitcher app wasn't so horrible

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    If the horse is doing the fucking surely it should be Dallas does blank not blank does Dallas

I suppose you're right by god

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Yes well reasoned smof

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    If the horse is doing the fucking surely it should be Dallas does blank not blank does Dallas
    this is power bottom erasure and i for one am not going to take it lying down

You've got a point there I might be swayed

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I can't really imagine listening to more than one D&D podcast, as someone who listens to zero.

I can't generally do audiobooks because I lose concentration too easily, so I get a lot of rewinding. But with podcasts, the flow of the language doesn't matter so much, and they're less tightly structured - game play podcasts in particular have a lot of ignorable guff which doesn't affect the core narrative. So I can listen while I clean or what-have-you, and still get that immersive feel of listening to a story, without dropping the thread or missing important info.

that said I've tried a few and there's very few gameplay podcasts I actually find bearable. Game mechanics are tedious as fuck*, that's probably part of it.

*was going to say "to listen to" but actually nah, just in general. Rules are the worst.

Yea NADDPOD is about as mechanically complex as I like to listen do, and they have a lot of liberties and editing to remove the rolling and math, and as they get rolling the story just goes places. Rude Tales is a bit mechanically light for me, but the story and actors are amazing, and Critical Role episodes are just too damn long. I imagine game mechanics are more fun to listen to when you're playing or running those games yourself. I couldn't imagine listening to a Shadowrun podcast with mechanics if I wasn't playing it.

I'm with you on Audiobooks. I can't listen to anything structured when working, because I can't give it the attention needed, but I love podcasts when driving, as it gives my brain something to pay attention to, and helps me stay awake.

Mostly though I can't do audiobooks because it is just too slow. I read so much faster than someone can talk that it seems like the book is going through molasses when I try to listen to it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    this is power bottom erasure and i for one am not going to take it lying down

I am in awe of how well-constructed this joke is

IKknkhU.gif
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    i mean really what good's an AP podcast that isn't being used to playtest a game written by the DM of the campaign

By which of course I'm talking about Interstitial and nothing else

@Speed Racer
    I do find myself making an exception for when the creators of the game are actively figuring out the mechanics through gameplay. Especially if they’re funny about it.

Not referring to anyone here specifically, of course.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »

Yea NADDPOD is about as mechanically complex as I like to listen do, and they have a lot of liberties and editing to remove the rolling and math, and as they get rolling the story just goes places. Rude Tales is a bit mechanically light for me, but the story and actors are amazing, and Critical Role episodes are just too damn long. I imagine game mechanics are more fun to listen to when you're playing or running those games yourself. I couldn't imagine listening to a Shadowrun podcast with mechanics if I wasn't playing it.

I'm with you on Audiobooks. I can't listen to anything structured when working, because I can't give it the attention needed, but I love podcasts when driving, as it gives my brain something to pay attention to, and helps me stay awake.

Mostly though I can't do audiobooks because it is just too slow. I read so much faster than someone can talk that it seems like the book is going through molasses when I try to listen to it.

You might try speeding up the playback a little! I listen to most audiobooks at 1.25x, or sometimes 1.5x if they're really making a meal out of it. It's not fast enough to make them sound weird, and it really helps keep me focused on the flow.

Although for some reason I would never listen to a podcast at anything other than the original speed. I guess because most of the podcasts are either more conversational than one person reading a manuscript, or they rely on comedic timing. Either way, listening to sped-up podcasts weirds me out in a way that sped-up audiobooks don't.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    your poker faces are the worst i've seen

liEt3nH.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I enjoy engaging with tabletop mechanics myself

but Rude Tales is pretty much the perfect level of mechanical interaction that I'm willing to listen to

I ALMOST fell into the Austin Walker Enthusiasm Trap on Thousand Threads

Not today, Satan!

edited July 2020
    I’m listening to the newest Citations Needed about house flipping shows, and holy shit these things are gross.

The just played a clip from “Flip or Flop” where one of the hosts literally talks about how a community is being gentrified like it’s a good thing.

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Well yeah that's how they make money

liEt3nH.png
    Well yeah that's how they make money

Obviously, yes, but as the CN hosts mention, normally they don't just come right out and say the word "gentrification." They'll say, like, "beautification" or "neighborhood improvement" or some other euphemism.

IKknkhU.gif
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Capitalism poisons everything it touches

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Except, weirdly, the poison industry.

• replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    alright so I just started listening to the second episode of UTTH2MTH, and frankly, Talkin' 'Bout the Bang seems pretty clearly derivative of Talkin' 'Bout Thangs from Teenagers With Attitude

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sending up the “Jason Mantzoukas is on Reply All” flare

6F32U1X.png
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    hypin’ bout Bugsnax

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Would love to know what brought this on.

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    The new Netflix series, probably

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    sometimes you just google things

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    "This bread is my body."
    "Yeah, we know. We just saw you turn into bread. You made that loud GRINCH GRANCH GRUNCH noise we all do."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    alright so I just started listening to the second episode of UTTH2MTH, and frankly, Talkin' 'Bout the Bang seems pretty clearly derivative of Talkin' 'Bout Thangs from Teenagers With Attitude

@DaMoonRulz scottie auks owes you royalties

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    I don't really know what Blaseball is but hearing Waypoint really about it is very funny

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
This discussion has been closed.