As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I finally got a [Job] but still post here

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    Hmmmmmm, shit, still haven't submitted my Q3 goals...
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Fuckin', most doctor's offices don't even know how HIPAA works. Ask tynic or bowen.

Used to work in eHealth.

So many times I'm at a clinic or something (Canada, at least!) and sitting in an office alone with a computer and it's just... open, with information up, logged in as someone.

Like jesus, every single thing provides you with ways to lock, you've been mandatory trained on this, I know there's no excuse yet here we always fucking are.

Also that clerks/providers are monitored and trigger alerts for anything remotely suspiciously searched and get nailed, but sysadmins pretty much are invisible with full access to anything cause I guess so.

When my mom was still practicing, her office installed sensors on the computer monitors so the computers would lock whenever there hadn't been a person sitting in front of them for more than five minutes.

The doctors (including my mom) all put paper cups over the sensors because they were fed up with having to login multiple times during every patient visit.

Honestly, the only way I can see medical personnel not being lax about computer security is if it requires no extra effort on their part (not that I blame them, for the record). Give everyone an RFID tag that automatically unlocks the computer you're working at, and have the computer lock itself whenever there's no tag in range... except then I suppose they'd just put the tag next to the computer and leave it there. Hm.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    Fuckin', most doctor's offices don't even know how HIPAA works. Ask tynic or bowen.

Used to work in eHealth.

So many times I'm at a clinic or something (Canada, at least!) and sitting in an office alone with a computer and it's just... open, with information up, logged in as someone.

Like jesus, every single thing provides you with ways to lock, you've been mandatory trained on this, I know there's no excuse yet here we always fucking are.

Also that clerks/providers are monitored and trigger alerts for anything remotely suspiciously searched and get nailed, but sysadmins pretty much are invisible with full access to anything cause I guess so.

When my mom was still practicing, her office installed sensors on the computer monitors so the computers would lock whenever there hadn't been a person sitting in front of them for more than five minutes.

The doctors (including my mom) all put paper cups over the sensors because they were fed up with having to login multiple times during every patient visit.

Honestly, the only way I can see medical personnel not being lax about computer security is if it requires no extra effort on their part (not that I blame them, for the record). Give everyone an RFID tag that automatically unlocks the computer you're working at, and have the computer lock itself whenever there's no tag in range... except then I suppose they'd just put the tag next to the computer and leave it there. Hm.

Go full cyberpunk dystopia chip the workers so they can't put it down.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Calica wrote: »

Used to work in eHealth.

When I worked for a hospital's IT desk all the computes outside of the ORs had 15 minute idle logout timers. By policy, and couldn't be altered. The OR ones had significantly longer one (maybe none? don't remember) because in the OR you might be looking at a screen but not directly interacting for quite some time. The clinics and patient rooms and ER? Not so much.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    One of the discussions at work I really am tired of arguing about is how people were "making more" at unemployment
    As I was pointing out the meat grinder that is Cap 2 the manager of it is zerging it with a crew of 40+ on the payroll but dealing with people calling out and generally doing a venner of a job as the overturn for Cap 2 is over 85% in the last 6 months
    The other effect is overnights has to pick up what they do not finish and if we cannot handle it then days has to and the cycle continues

My argument is no one wants to seriously do this job the way it is morale is gone the shouting matches between Blank and Blank with sideline comments from others over silly things like being a truther and crap they read on facebook
    I gave up trying to dissuade them from just using that as a news source only

I also point out how quiet with the lack of business it is outside as the new L they added to the shopping area is mostly vacant

• FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I suspect that most HR departments don't actually know how HIPPA works and just swerve violently away from possible violations to the point of complete madness.

This is how a lot of places handle GDPR here. A friend has their kid in a daycare where the staff decided that having the kid’s name on the shelf where they keep their stuff must be too much personal information, so now all the shelves say different fruits and you have to remember which fruit is which kid.
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    re: submarine numbers
    The most baffling thing I've heard is how Greek people list off 10-digit phone numbers. They randomly give you 1-, 2- or 3- digit groupings.

We do the same in Sweden. There’s 3-3-2-2, 4-3-3, and 4-2-2-2 mainly. I do the first and can’t even recognize my own number when read another way.

Actually just realized I read my own number 3-1-2-2-2. So maybe I’m the crazy one.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    And now for a truly terrible co-worker story (though at least it sounds like he's getting exactly what's coming to him via a felony charge):

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    And now for a truly terrible co-worker story (though at least it sounds like he's getting exactly what's coming to him via a felony charge):

OP sums it up nicely. "Stupid games stupid prizes"

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    The dark secret of the universe is that there are holes all around you, right now, but you can't perceive them unless they intersect with solid matter.

That's why nature abhors a vacuum, it's the atmosphere trying to keep a lid on all the ambient holes.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Flarne wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I suspect that most HR departments don't actually know how HIPPA works and just swerve violently away from possible violations to the point of complete madness.

This is how a lot of places handle GDPR here. A friend has their kid in a daycare where the staff decided that having the kid’s name on the shelf where they keep their stuff must be too much personal information, so now all the shelves say different fruits and you have to remember which fruit is which kid.
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    re: submarine numbers
    The most baffling thing I've heard is how Greek people list off 10-digit phone numbers. They randomly give you 1-, 2- or 3- digit groupings.

We do the same in Sweden. There’s 3-3-2-2, 4-3-3, and 4-2-2-2 mainly. I do the first and can’t even recognize my own number when read another way.

Actually just realized I read my own number 3-1-2-2-2. So maybe I’m the crazy one.

For my mobile phone number I recite it 4-3-3, but for my partners it makes MUCH more sense to recite it 2-3-3-2. mine ends with the same digit in each segment and is thus almost like a short poem, whereas my partners has the same three digits twice in a row, hence the 3-3 in the middle.

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I'm back to work full time this week with a raise but only doing four 8 hour days. So I'm being paid more to work less hours than I was before but actually making less money. Not great. The option is there to work four 9 hour days and I'm going to take that option. That'll mean the raise is actually a raise. Every Friday is now a Fridax which is great, but that may not be permanent depending on how things go over the next few months.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Our shift calendar got updated today to reflect who's taking vacation and whatnot over the next three months. It also happens to reflect changes to staffing and shift assignments.

I'm being moved to night shift beginning September 1st, after having no communication from anybody above me that such a change was in the pipes.

This is my fifth shift change in the past year, and I am about sick of it.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    Our shift calendar got updated today to reflect who's taking vacation and whatnot over the next three months. It also happens to reflect changes to staffing and shift assignments.

I'm being moved to night shift beginning September 1st, after having no communication from anybody above me that such a change was in the pipes.

A surprise night shift at all is grounds for boots made for walking, much less as a cemented change. Hope they listen when you squeak.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Seriously. Switching to night shift is a major kick in the nads, I sincerely hope you're able to argue out of that shift.

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I use "submarine numbers" for almost everything

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    My boss, "We pay $10k a month for parking?!"

Oh I see it's been another three months since the last time we had this conversation.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular

That's rough, man. :bro:

I spent a little over a year on a rotating schedule one month at a time between night, day, and the swing shift (covering the off days of the other two). It was tough enough, but at least we had a good idea of what things looked like ahead of us. Pretty rare that we had to scramble and change the schedule to cover holes. Even still, I'd basically signed my life over to that job while I was on that schedule.

You got the sleep routine down? Blackout curtains and some kind of noise (in my case, a wall-mounted AC unit) were the big keys for me. That and for me I had to be a lot more strict about shutting things down and getting to bed with time to spare.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I messaged my boss like half a dozen times since last thursday about various things and she never messaged me back

Today I was like "do you want this doing today or tomorrow" and she no shit replied with "okay"

I was like

are you fucking high, what the hell

Anyway I'm doing it tomorrow

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    You're really having an authentic grad school experience there Solar. Without even needing to be in grad school! What a bargain!

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Grad school sounds awful

realistically if I want to change career I might end up going there, at least I will have the prior experience

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Grad school sounds awful

realistically if I want to change career I might end up going there, at least I will have the prior experience

I don't regret graduate school at all for my masters. I learned a lot (more than at any other time probably), gained meaningful experience, and transitioned successfully into a civil service job with good prospects regardless of the economic environment. Research was so fun I often contemplate doing a PhD

But fucking man do I enjoy making money

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    I start a new job in Water treatment monday. I look forward for my career and salary not being at the whims of the oil market

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote: »
    I'm back to work full time this week with a raise but only doing four 8 hour days. So I'm being paid more to work less hours than I was before but actually making less money. Not great. The option is there to work four 9 hour days and I'm going to take that option. That'll mean the raise is actually a raise. Every Friday is now a Fridax which is great, but that may not be permanent depending on how things go over the next few months.

Work is making more noises about me going back into the office to mostly sit in front of my computer there instead of home. I'm not optimistic. Really bracing for SU students to come back and set off a surge by the end of August.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    Yesterday, I think I may have successfully talked the VP of IT, and myself, into me becoming an IT Business Analyst some time next year (assuming the US isn't more on fire than it currently is).

I won't be having to manage a team anymore! But also I won't be managing my team anymore and I'm already worrying about them, even though literally nothing has happened and won't happen for at least 5 months, and why am I worrying about it right now...SIGH

Huh...
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

More like Q3 gaols.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    I’m going on vacation after this week and should be working a lot to finish everything up.
    Instead I spent most of today going through my to-do list to make up good reasons for why I didn’t have time to finish it this week. Then I played Far Cry 5.
    It’s weird to work from home when nobody else is working.

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular

A surprise night shift at all is grounds for boots made for walking, much less as a cemented change. Hope they listen when you squeak.

What's worse is that I'm being moved to what is basically the Fuckup Crew. The lead press operator there has been fired twice, the second time being the day I started working here, when he set fire to the press due to negligence and nearly got a guy killed by our CO2 fire suppression system. The other assistant I'll be working with as I train as an operator is an alcoholic who can't stop talking about getting drunk all the time. On top of it all, the setup tech is a dude who's been working here so long he's capped out on pay ($30/hr) and yet has managed to learn nothing about operating any machine or department.

And I'm supposed to be trained as a press operator in this environment.

I've tried talking my way out of the shift with my supervisor (can't do it, need operators spread out more among the shifts while we prepare for the new press to be installed). I've brought up how frustrated I am about the frequent shift changes (you're the only one who complains about it, plus you'll probably be back on days in a few months anyway). I also brought up that this is the third time I've been pulled off of a shift right as I'm getting started training as an operator (you'll get brought up to speed quick).

It's beyond frustrating.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Whose fucking idea was it to do huge inventory conversions now, in the midst of a global health crises, when we work at a health system that cannot get supplies?

The converted products will come from the same supply chain source, so someone must be trying to save a few dollars, but good fuck, look at the work hours to change things

I'm completely out of fucks to give again

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Extended interview session in about 45 min.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Remember, have a spare laptop standing by so that if they ask you any real tough questions, you can Bing the answers.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular

What's worse is that I'm being moved to what is basically the Fuckup Crew. The lead press operator there has been fired twice, the second time being the day I started working here, when he set fire to the press due to negligence and nearly got a guy killed by our CO2 fire suppression system. The other assistant I'll be working with as I train as an operator is an alcoholic who can't stop talking about getting drunk all the time. On top of it all, the setup tech is a dude who's been working here so long he's capped out on pay ($30/hr) and yet has managed to learn nothing about operating any machine or department.

And I'm supposed to be trained as a press operator in this environment.

I've tried talking my way out of the shift with my supervisor (can't do it, need operators spread out more among the shifts while we prepare for the new press to be installed). I've brought up how frustrated I am about the frequent shift changes (you're the only one who complains about it, plus you'll probably be back on days in a few months anyway). I also brought up that this is the third time I've been pulled off of a shift right as I'm getting started training as an operator (you'll get brought up to speed quick).

It's beyond frustrating.

Yeah I totally get if you can't do this, but this is where you pull out the receipts on "Well you said X, then Y happened instead, and then you said X, and y happened instead, and then x..y....so why should I trust you now? This has to be a two way street where we set and meet each others expectations." But like I said, fuckin' lol if that can fly in most work places.

Hope things get better, thats a steaming pile even without the fuckup crew.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2020
    I forgot to set a notification to stop working and eat lunch so now I’m cramming something down in the seven minutes I have before my next meeting because otherwise I wouldn't be able to eat before 2pm. And since I started work at 7, that would definitely make the last hour or so of the meeting completely useless.

Dammit I wanted to take a leisurely lunch today.

tynic on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    I forgot to set a notification to stop working and eat lunch so now I’m cramming something down in the seven minutes I have before my next meeting because otherwise I be able to eat before 2pm. And since I started work at 7, that would definitely make the last hour or so of the meeting completely useless.

Dammit I wanted to take a leisurely lunch today.

and on the right you can see a singular wild tynic. normally they spend the day peacefully grazing but as you can see this one is swallowing an entire moose.

they sometimes do this when they feel threatened or are mating

• MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    I stopped turning the camera on for Zoom meetings precisely because I’m usually stuffing my face

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
    Oh man I sucked so much for the first interview. Hope the other two are better.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    This is weirdly the least set up I've ever done for the start of the school year. Normally I'd be down at school this week getting stuff organized but I can't do anything until I hear what the district decides to do on school library policy.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Live demo. Ignored bugs. Going as well as you can guess...

I also sucked on the second interview, IMO. But a little less than the first. Third interview should have started at the hour but I'm waiting in the room.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So my work is trying out Teams. What are folks experiences with it? Strengths, weaknesses? We already use Basecamp for project management. Will this be able to replace that? It doesn't seem like it does "assigned" work like Basecamp's To-dos or other ticket style systems.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So my work is trying out Teams. What are folks experiences with it? Strengths, weaknesses? We already use Basecamp for project management. Will this be able to replace that? It doesn't seem like it does "assigned" work like Basecamp's To-dos or other ticket style systems.

My only experience is using it in schools with classes. In that function you can create assignments and homework but I don't know what it looks like from a non school side.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Third interview was the only one I felt solid on. Auuuuugh I suck. I should have friggin' memorized the HTTP response codes. But who the hell needs to know what 401 is ever? I figured knowing what 2xx, 3xx, 4xx, and 5xx basically cover would be enough!

This discussion has been closed.