As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trailers: A Brief History

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Last night I watched Deep Impact for the first time since I saw it in the theater 20+ years ago. This morning, I notice a trailer for Gerard Butler's latest masterpiece called Greenland which basically looks like Deep Impact without the attempt to blow up the comet from space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J43zOCT0Wy0

SteevL on
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    Between that and the Twister remake happening I am stoked dumb natural disaster movies are getting a renessaince.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Between that and the Twister remake happening I am stoked dumb natural disaster movies are getting a renessaince.

Geostorm was just 3 years ago.

I suppose that was mostly a man-made disaster movie, but still. Gerard Butler is trying to usher in a disaster movie renaissance single-handedly.

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »
    Cristoval wrote: »

Geostorm was just 3 years ago.

I suppose that was mostly a man-made disaster movie, but still. Gerard Butler is trying to usher in a disaster movie renaissance single-handedly.

As was foretold in the sacred texts.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Ugh, I hate disaster movies. Either humanity will always figure out a solution or Earth is unstoppably fucked, which the movie will let you know from the start, and the rest is just bad writing and running from CG. Definitely a genre I wish would stay dead.

I'd be infinitely more interested in seeing a twister movie where the twister decides to settle down and raise a family in middle America despite the obvious local prejudices against atmospheric anomalies of a turbulent nature.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Look, I was against you in the first half but ya brought me right back in at the end there

• Options
    The people running from CG in disaster flicks is a feature not a bug for me. Twister and Dante's Peak had some GOOD ASS CG back in the day. Hell, the pyroclastic blast near the end of Dante's Peak still holds up, due to its mix of practical effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfIUYDjo8WM

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited June 2020
    Ugh, I hate disaster movies. Either humanity will always figure out a solution or Earth is unstoppably fucked, which the movie will let you know from the start, and the rest is just bad writing and running from CG. Definitely a genre I wish would stay dead.

I'd be infinitely more interested in seeing a twister movie where the twister decides to settle down and raise a family in middle America despite the obvious local prejudices against atmospheric anomalies of a turbulent nature.

the only such movie that is any good is the Last Night(1998 because its a super generic title).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0skcGu6A01w

It starts with a man from the Gas Company calling everybody customer and thanking them for their patronage.

And he is played by David Cronenberg!

Edit: Gas, not electric damnit!

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    30 Rock Reunion Special teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSIna8hr9p8

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    i just saw this trailer and...wow Amazono
    https://youtu.be/3JsGL5wDEJI

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I enjoyed that trailer, but it does make me feel like two and a half minutes is all I will ever need of Space Captain!: Captain of Space

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The intended crappy look reminds me a bit of the German TV adaption of Lem's Ijon Tichy. Also the less intentionally bad Raumpatrouille Orion from the 60s

• Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Last night I watched Deep Impact for the first time since I saw it in the theater 20+ years ago. This morning, I notice a trailer for Gerard Butler's latest masterpiece called Greenland which basically looks like Deep Impact without the attempt to blow up the comet from space.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J43zOCT0Wy0

I thought they changed the name of greenland to The SKY has fallen.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I was going to say those little comet fragments near the end of the trailer were moving awful slow for something that should be moving at something like 50km/sec. But then I realize those could be rocks splashed into the sky by a faraway impact raining back down, which would be neat.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Seems like the kind of flick we need right now!

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    All Gerry B and Keanu do is print money.

I am worried Bill & Ted's daughters are going to be exactly like them, that's just lazy. I'm hopeful for the movie but that feels like something that wouldn't even fly if this was made in 2000.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Keanu's makeup looks real weird to me

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    No one:

Lionsgate: Let's remake Tears of the Sun AND Ghost and the Darkness at the same time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4YXauObskA

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Oh god that looks absolutely terrible.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    That bill & Ted trailer looks great! I am glad I was right about the muscle-bound guys from the earlier one.

Though is it just me, or does every nostalgia piece that is ever released involve the kids of the protagonists?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    For as much Lionsgate schlock I watch that's even too much (and Tears of the Sun is hella underrated yeah I said it so what wanna dab about it?). You couldn't find a more believable actress to be the action girl like Samara Weaving or *snicker* Rhonda Rousey? Fox would work as the local guide or government liason but not a soldier/merc.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    For as much Lionsgate schlock I watch that's even too much (and Tears of the Sun is hella underrated yeah I said it so what wanna dab about it?). You couldn't find a more believable actress to be the action girl like Samara Weaving or *snicker* Rhonda Rousey? Fox would work as the local guide or government liason but not a soldier/merc.

Yeah I got no problem with Megan trying other roles, but this trailer she's like denise richards the nuclear scientist.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    The New Mutants. Starts at about 24:30 if the time code doesn't work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksdvHSRWuQo

Shadowfire on
  • Options
    I want the New Mutants to come out and have it be something absolutely bonkers

Like, it's actually an episode of Muppet Babies bonkers

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    I want the most common insight into New Mutants to be that the movie 'was actually just three kids in a trenchcoat'

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

A spiritual successor to Ghostbusters and it's by Peg and Frost? Yea I'll take that ride in a heartbeat.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Preacher wrote: »
    TexiKen wrote: »

Yeah I got no problem with Megan trying other roles, but this trailer she's like denise richards the nuclear scientist.
    She looks too pretty/stylish in the role. Like when the camera isn't on her she intentionally fixes her makeup and hair and whatever because though all of that she never looks like shit despite the situation.

It's weird.

Sorce on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Now we just need Wayne's World 3.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Here I am the entire time watching the Rogue trailer going "those are tiger sounds. the lion is doing tiger sounds."

Also we had a Rogue like less than 10 years ago about a crocodile. It's probably the best giant crocodylian movie! Which has somehow become a genre! Crawl might have had it beat, but for the mishap where they accidentally made their alligators normal sized.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

It seems like the daughters go on their own adventure as well.

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular

Make them the tired, grumpy versions of Wayne and Garth.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Krathoon wrote: »

Make them the tired, grumpy versions of Wayne and Garth.

call me crazy but i want to see a reboot of Wayne's World staring Game Grumps.
    And Ed O'Neill reprising his role as "why won't they let me die" guy.

• Options
  • Options
    SealSeal Registered User regular
    Want me some Lovecraft Country

• Options
    Jordan Peele? Okay yeah I can g- JJ Abrams?

I'll wait for reviews

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ZavianZavian universal peace sounds better than forever war Registered User regular
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Jurassic World: Camp Cretaceous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKJwbsx1BSc

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Is cretaceous in reference to the dated CGI they're using a t-pose for the t-rex.

Let the kids get eaten, teach everyone a lesson. Life finds a way.

This discussion has been closed.