As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] What We Do in the Shadows (Beyond Light expansion coming Nov. 10!)

• cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Momentum is where you do the Mountaintop quest. Wait until we have Momentum and then grind Momentum. One shot kills on all grenade launchers.

yeah i've been trying in mayhem and it is rough going

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Mayhem is maybe the worst place to do it, no good way to stay alive. I personally think Momentum is tough to stay alive long enough for the medal, but that's just me. General Control is good, because people clump up on the points more.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I knocked it out in Momentum over a few days, felt pretty easy to me, but we all play differently.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I did most of the Mountaintop quest in Iron Banner because it's x2 the progress

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    You can do some work in control with witherhoard, people at pretty dumb about clumping up sometimes.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Catalase wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    The main time I'm working at side purposes to my team is when the weekly gambit quest is that stupid "cast Supers and make orbs" one. The only way to get that shit done in any reasonable number of games is to focus 100% on just getting your super as quick as possible and then blowing it on clearing ads. Even during the boss phase you need to use your super on the ads that spawn before the boss is vulnerable because it counts super kills.
    Yup I freaking *hate* that damn bounty. Not so bad on Warlock and Titan at least since you can extend their supers, Hunters have it rough though. Even Raiden Flux doesn't work that well.

The trick I found for Hunter is: Top-tree arcstrider, dodge that gets your melee back, Liar's Handshake, Hands-On mods. Just dodge and punch your way through everything. Gets super real fast.

Get like a truthteller with proxy-nades and quickdraw. One shot with a HC or bow or something, then swap and fire.

But really you need to be focusing on the multi-kills and medals imo. The actual kills themselves will come long before you get that shit done.

Camp heavy and go ham with your favourite nade launcher is the best way I found to do that. Some people like the Colony, I found Play of the Game to be more reliable.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    The Colony is extremely good in Momentum Control because a single nade will one-shot, so you can spam that shit towards groups for easy multikills.

Also, the Militia's Birthright you get from the exodus quest is basically a godroll for PVP. Highest blast radius in the first node, prox det, quickdraw and moving target.

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    erianas vow and fellwinters helm get. Very close to knocking Sleeper Simulant off as well, and I just need to unlock the dungeon to get Xenophage

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    YerMum wrote: »
    Xagar wrote: »
    Hunters can finish the entire quest in one round of sudden death by using Shards of Galanor, because of the way super regen works.
    They can? It counts super kills, there aren't that many ads in the boss phase, and you don't get instant super unless every blade hits something which means unless you're targeting the boss, you don't get your super back *that* fast.

It also means you're playing 3 rounds in a single match of gambit, which is itself excruciating.

Super regenerates faster in sudden death, and iirc there's some weird interaction with shards that basically instantly refills your blade barrage every time. It's dumb. And also hilarious?
    Entirely aware of that. My post still stands

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Finally did my 6th ascendant challenge. Never doing that one again, ever, for any reason.

It was the sword one. Took me 3 tries to beat it, because jumping at the end with the sword was too unnatural for me. And also, floating rocks would spawn on top of me while I was jumping between platforms and instantly kill me without warning.

Then I beat it, and it didn't count. I'd heard you need to bring the sword with you through the portal... and I thought I did. But then low and behold, after I went through the portal the sword was gone and I was still at 5/6 ascendant challenges.

Took me 5 more tries to beat it a second time, making sure I had the sword with me through the portal. Go figure.

So now I still just need Vouchsafe, and then the Wayfarer title is mine.

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah so a couple nights ago I finally finished the quest that unlocks the catalyst for Eriana’s Vow. Like, now I have to actually kill shit with Eriana’s Vow before I can apply the catalyst

Fucking crazy. Like... I’ve unlocked the catalysts for all subsequent season Exotics before this gd thing. 400 damn activities, so dumb

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    Whee. First ever raid knocked out, and i got Lunafaction boots out of it.

Thanks, all!

• OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Oh yeah so a couple nights ago I finally finished the quest that unlocks the catalyst for Eriana’s Vow. Like, now I have to actually kill shit with Eriana’s Vow before I can apply the catalyst

Fucking crazy. Like... I’ve unlocked the catalysts for all subsequent season Exotics before this gd thing. 400 damn activities, so dumb

It being bad and people complaining about it is why the ones in subsequent seasons are better.

Opty wrote: »

It being bad and people complaining about it is why the ones in subsequent seasons are better.

well plus if you did it during the season, you got multipliers on it so that it was x4 per event.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    Opty wrote: »

well plus if you did it during the season, you got multipliers on it so that it was x4 per event.

The problem was that in-season, you had to have it equipped in the match/strike for it to count, and it was still a ton of matches.

All subsequent ones require some usage (kills/multikills), but the playtime requirements are with or without the weapon equipped.

I will argue that it's still fucking stupid that you have to do a bunch of stuff to "unlock" the catalyst, only to have to get a million kills with the gun to activate the thing. I don't love any gun (except Graviton Lance mwah mwah) enough to want to double grind with it, no thanks no thanks.

• CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Here’s a random thought.

Given that crucible maps actually have lore justifications attached to them; Shaxx uses his robo frames to secure sites for crucible use, the crucible itself is a training grounds for guardians etc...

...how are they going to explain why the Io, Mercury, Titan and Mars crucible maps are still perfectly safe and accessible to guardians after those planets get wiped off the map?

Or are they just going to wipe half of them out? Not that I’m going to miss Convergence. But Burnout and Javelin are fantastic

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Here’s a random thought.

Given that crucible maps actually have lore justifications attaches to them; Shaxx uses his robo frames to secure sites for crucible use, the crucible itself is a training grounds for guardians etc...

...how are they going to explain why the Io, Mercury, Titan and Mars crucible maps are still perfectly safe and accessible to guardians after those planets get wiped off the map?

Not that I’m going to miss Convergence. But Burnout and Javelin are fantastic

Who even knows if those maps will be around.

Bad for Gambit if that's the case. 2 of 6 maps are from to-be-vaulted destinations.

I also wonder about Trials and the Lighthouse.

Peen wrote: »
    I will argue that it's still fucking stupid that you have to do a bunch of stuff to "unlock" the catalyst, only to have to get a million kills with the gun to activate the thing. I don't love any gun (except Graviton Lance mwah mwah) enough to want to double grind with it, no thanks no thanks.

The whole catalyst system is kinda silly at this point. Like a lot of things in live-service games, it started for one purpose and has basically lost that as the rest of the game changed around it.

And a lot of times catalysts are basically "complete the exotic so it actually works properly" at this point.

• oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    So, I am slowly getting closer to hitting 1000, and hit 990 last night. Feel really good about it to, since I managed to snag two season ranks last night as well, just doing some strikes, bounties, and Titan contact events.

If I get the opportunity tonight, I need to try and wrap the Red War campaign and some of the 'Discover' quests.

Man, this game has the hooks in me.

• chemicalkbchemicalkb West Coast, USARegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Looking for some advice. Because I play almost exclusively solo I currently have very few pinnacle weapons or exotics that you don't get through the story/Xur (Recluse and Ace might be it). Are there any weapons I should really strive to get before November? Or will everything that is currently good be capped? I'm thinking things like Ignazis Burden, Jotuun, etc.
    I'm trying to decide where to spend my limited destiny time productivity. For example I spent hours last week trying to solo The Whisper but I gave up. I can take the shortcut and get through the jumping puzzle. I reach the first room to clear with 13-15 minutes on the timer but then I get stomped. I would rather not beat my head against the wall with nothing to show for it again.

Also I have only done one raid (Leviathan) and only one time. I would like to try the others that are leaving. Obviously I know I can't do this solo. I'm a decent pve player and I can watch walkthrough videos but I'll still need someone to guide/carry me. If I'm on xbox is the LFG tool my best bet for finding a group?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions. This is by far the most helpful Destiny community I've seen.

chemicalkb on
    edited July 2020
    Exotics are not going to be retired, Izanagi's is considered pretty amazing for raids and such. We can help you with Whisper if you like. In fact I still need the catalyst haha.

As for Xbox raids, we can probably help you out here. Are you in the clan?

Local H Jay on
  • chemicalkbchemicalkb West Coast, USARegistered User regular
    Good to know about the exotics. Yeah I'm in the clan, I've been lurking since year 1. I see people online but I don't reach out at random usually due to social anxiety. Which is why lfg has always been intimidating.
    But I can get over that if I'm playing with folks who are friendly and know that I may need a little extra patience.

I'm on Pacific time and free most weekdays after 1pm and all day on the weekend. Hit me up if you're willing, my xbox tag is chemicalkb.

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    chemicalkb wrote: »
    Good to know about the exotics. Yeah I'm in the clan, I've been lurking since year 1. I see people online but I don't reach out at random usually due to social anxiety. Which is why lfg has always been intimidating.
    But I can get over that if I'm playing with folks who are friendly and know that I may need a little extra patience.

I'm on Pacific time and free most weekdays after 1pm and all day on the weekend. Hit me up if you're willing, my xbox tag is chemicalkb.

I find it similarly difficult to just reach out to random people, even random people in the clan, and be like, "Yo, wanna do X?" but I've had fairly good luck with creating events on the100.io and posting a link in here. That's on the PS4 side, though. Dunno what the xbox folks' activity on there is like.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    We're pretty active on Xbox, but often times we'll be in separate parties doing different things. But if we're friends on Xbox and you post a LFG, it broadcasts the LFG to all friends.

Don't hesitate to shoot a message or hop in my party. Sometimes we'll be in other games, but I'm down to help whenever.

edited July 2020
    I don't think popping a guardian in the dome with Ace of Spades and making their head blow up will ever be unsatisfying

cursedking on
    I would argue that Destiny has the most satisfying headshots in any first person shooter going right now, I would I would.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Here’s a random thought.

Given that crucible maps actually have lore justifications attached to them; Shaxx uses his robo frames to secure sites for crucible use, the crucible itself is a training grounds for guardians etc...

Or are they just going to wipe half of them out? Not that I’m going to miss Convergence. But Burnout and Javelin are fantastic

Lorewise, we don't actually know if the planets are literally being destroyed. In fact they probably aren't, since Bungie has mentioned the idea of un-vaulting stuff. The PvE areas could simply be declared no-go zones due to all the shenanigans the Darkness is up to, while the Crucible-related areas remain secure.

H9f4bVe.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I would argue that Destiny has the most satisfying headshots in any first person shooter going right now, I would I would.

I never get tired of the *POP*FZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ* that happens when you headshot Fallen.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I dunno, they've got some really good animations, but the aim assist being as high as it is kinda dulls it for me.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

Doom Eternal makes a POP sound when you blast off a head, its also very good

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Getting back into playing this, and I've showed some of the ps4 people in discord, but figured I'd show the wider thread as well. I made another ghost, which may be my favorite one to date.

Edit:
    Oh I also printed a rainbow one a while back (second picture):

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Mayhem is maybe the worst place to do it, no good way to stay alive. I personally think Momentum is tough to stay alive long enough for the medal, but that's just me. General Control is good, because people clump up on the points more.

I did it in mayhem with nightstalker

You drop a thether and fire a nade off once you get some fish on the line. It doesn’t drop it from being painful but it wasn’t bad

I personally Couldn’t have done it in other modes back then

616610-1.png
  • awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    That's one of the ones I never take off.

The whole catalyst system is kinda silly at this point. Like a lot of things in live-service games, it started for one purpose and has basically lost that as the rest of the game changed around it.

And a lot of times catalysts are basically "complete the exotic so it actually works properly" at this point.

I definitely wish some of them weren't random drops, or similar. Like i've got Trinity Ghoul, but no catalyst. same with Sunshot (Screw you all saying it's bad, i love my literally head exploding handcannon), Cerebus+1, Rat King, D.A.R.C.I (not that i'm ever going to use that, but it's the principal of the thing)

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Recently we've managed two flawless Scourge runs, a flawless full team sparrow race first try, and both of the one-time-challenge triumphs! The hardest part of those triumphs was convincing everyone to actually try and do them for once.

For Gone Huntin', we got lucky with the berserker spawns and got it done quickly after a few false starts. We ended up having more trouble getting an angle to kill the first berserker.

For Six of a Kind, we spent a while discussing and refining our strategy. Then when we went to execute it, someone immediately died, throwing everything off, and we winged it the rest of the way. We were unsure of our count so likely ended up killing 7-8 servitors to be safe. Fun challenge.

I definitely wish some of them weren't random drops, or similar. Like i've got Trinity Ghoul, but no catalyst. same with Sunshot (Screw you all saying it's bad, i love my literally head exploding handcannon), Cerebus+1, Rat King, D.A.R.C.I (not that i'm ever going to use that, but it's the principal of the thing)

The recent ones are at least pretty common.

The thing was when they were originally released catalysts were basically their solution to "how do we make exotics rare without making people frustrated they can't get exotics they want". So they went with "exotics are easy to get but the catalysts are the rare thing". Which means a bunch of the originally released catalysts are still locked behind super rare drops.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Still working on the Black Armory exotic quests (two more frames to go) and I decided to make a pulse rifle since I hadn't made one yet. Then I noticed, hey, I only have one pulse rifle to work on this with, so I grabbed it out of the bank and...

When did Graviton Pulse get good? That was fun as hell!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter