As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I finally got a [Job] but still post here

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If it’s any comfort any time I have actively tried to bone up on a subject before an interview it never comes up

Speaking of, I have to do some tech interviews of candidates tomorrow. It’s for a software position so I’m only there to probe their knowledge of robotics and hardware integration, and lack of expertise there is not a deal breaker, so I feel like beyond the compulsory culture fit questions I can just relax and ask them about stuff on their resume that looks cool.

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    The only HTTP response code anybody should need to know is 418.

Who memorizes stuff like that anyway, or rather, who judges somebody for not having it memorized? If it comes up regularly it'll stick and if it's rare it's simple to look up.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    godmode wrote: »
    Oops, clicked the bookmark button before reading the thread again

Wait...shit, is that why that freaking "unread" or whatever bug keeps happening? Is there a way to correct or am I now locked into the same hell in this thread as I am in the cooking thread?

• QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    I also sucked on the second interview, IMO. But a little less than the first. Third interview should have started at the hour but I'm waiting in the room.

Hey, even if it wasn't a great one, by sheer dint of the fact you are reflective enough to know that means you've got a huge leg up on improving vs all the oblivious people. It's for sure a practicable skill, and not one most are born with. Take some time, regroup and re-attack it later.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Project management integration with teams seems pretty good. Personally I just think the video and audio quality is much better in it

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Third interview was the best one, but that was all about soft skills which I have on lock. Whyyyyyyy didn't I memorize HTTP codes.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I dislike Teams, but only because it’s when my company decided they should enable the chat deletion feature and now any convos are deleted after 30 days.

The only other thing is dislike is I can’t open multiple windows. Say I want my calendar open while I’m also setting a meeting or using one of the built in applications.

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    godmode wrote: »
    Oops, clicked the bookmark button before reading the thread again

Wait...shit, is that why that freaking "unread" or whatever bug keeps happening? Is there a way to correct or am I now locked into the same hell in this thread as I am in the cooking thread?

If you post and then come back to the thread it usually sorts itself out. That's why you usually see 'posting for forum bug' posts at the start of threads.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/234575/unread-threads-showing-as-having-1-new-post#latest

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I am very tired and would like to stop starting my day at 8 am and ending it at 10.

I might do verbal violence to the people in charge of my schedule today.

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Third interview was the only one I felt solid on. Auuuuugh I suck. I should have friggin' memorized the HTTP response codes. But who the hell needs to know what 401 is ever? I figured knowing what 2xx, 3xx, 4xx, and 5xx basically cover would be enough!

If you could speak to stuff like what 4xx vs 5xx mean and what practical difference there is, that would put you ahead of a lot of people I've interviewed that may or may not have memorized a bunch of codes.

I'd never want to work somewhere that memorization was important, or that the interviewer couldn't roll with forgotten details like that. It's the thought process you're supposed to be testing.

OrokosPA.png
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    One of by guys barely missed advancement this cycle and was really bummed about it. I asked if he wanted to sit and talk about it, he said yes, so a couple hours later I drive to his apartment and told him to step in to my office.

My office:
    fimogdqa0lku.jpeg

We spent over two hours talking. He’s applying to college, shoring up the fluff bullet points on his evaluation, and knows we’re pushing hard for him regarding meritorious advancement.

So help me god at least someone in the Navy will have a decent boss.

• DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Follow up to the last thread, I'm gonna get these printed up. Any thoughts?

azb6ygw4knpu.png

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    The butthole could be larger, there's a lot of negative space.

3cl1ps3 on
    "Negative Space" is actually my professional alias.

The above is my profpersonal alias which is 2/3 professional 1/3 personal.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    expendable wrote: »

Who memorizes stuff like that anyway, or rather, who judges somebody for not having it memorized? If it comes up regularly it'll stick and if it's rare it's simple to look up.

So what's 418? I don't wanna have to look it up!

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    Also, Bigger Butthole is my stripper name.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    It's the evil hotel room's number.

• MercadeMercade Registered User regular
    Behold the butthole, nature’s aperture

Switch: SW-1909-0466-9585
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

So what's 418? I don't wanna have to look it up!

iirc, HTTP 418 I AM A TEAPOT.

It's actually defined in RFC 2324.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    Stupid question: 100% of the text is placeholder, right?

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    My seven foot tall friend got business cards that just say, “Yes, I am Seven Feet Tall.”

He has to use them surprisingly often.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Stupid question: 100% of the text is placeholder, right?

Everything except the OnlyFans

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Placeholder?

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I know a bunch of HTTP codes offhand as well as other python and SQL and various codes for other operating systems [washing machines, cars }
    Numbers are easy for me to remember just see it and put it away in my mind flagged as
    I do with this with a lot of things so when someone is in the news again and I mentally flagged them as idiot or silly goose or worse and forgot why

• thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Third interview was the best one, but that was all about soft skills which I have on lock. Whyyyyyyy didn't I memorize HTTP codes.

Every once and a while you’ll get hit with an interviewer that wasn’t very prepared and so they just ask about something that is technically OK but was likely something they just worked on that week (that they were able to use documentation to lookup the answer).

Try to keep a positive attitude, and if it turns out they didn’t select you 1) take some pride in knowing you still did something not many people will ever be able to do (interview at a Big for a technical position) 2) know that even if this team doesn’t select you, it’s a big company with lots of teams that are potential homes.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Owner and General Manager were doing shots when I walked in, the printers weren't working so everything was handwritten, my lazy ass coworker basically farted around all shift, then we got the news that the kitchen would be open until 2 a.m.

Every.

Fucking.

Night.

What's that? The door guy wouldn't let an underage girl in so her 'friend' decided to threaten the door guy with getting the handgun out of his car and then the door guy quit?

General Manager gets called back in, drunk off his ass to handle the situation and we closed at 1 ... with the caveat that we will *not* be staying open until 2 ever again.

Real fucking roller coaster of an evening, pretty sure several people got banned ... and I'm just the schmuck-new-guy in the kitchen wondering if he should get his concealed carry license.

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    Oh, yeah, Mom had another fall earlier in the week, didn't come home from the ER until after 6 in the morning; luckily, she didn't rebreak her arm, she fell on her left side, breaking nothing but Dear Lord Sweet Jesus she looks like she got in the Octagon with Tito Ortiz. She'll be 66 next month and I am seriously, desperately worried about her health. Like, my every waking moment my brain is screaming at me, 'BLOOD CLOTS! STROKE! ANEURYSM!'

Oh, and my schedule got changed so I have to be at work at 2 tomorrow (today) and pray to the kitchen gods that my slack ass coworker doesn't call in sick and I have to close for him.

Fuck my life, fuck it with a rusty barbed wire dildo.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    what you should do, DW, is get the hell out of there.
    easier said than done, I know.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2020

I'm constantly using http.cat/418 to look things up because who has time to memorize that shit? 401, 403, one of them is Bad Request, if I need to know details I'll look it up, otherwise I'll just keep using the http.StatusBadRequest constant in my code explicitly so I get context at a glance without having to memorize 50-ish three-letter numbers.

Also we use Status 418 as an easter egg in a few places.

Echo on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    My seven foot tall friend got business cards that just say, “Yes, I am Seven Feet Tall.”

He has to use them surprisingly often.

I saw one guy that had a whole set of responses on cards.

"Yes, I know I'm very tall."

"The weather's quite nice up here."

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Echo wrote: »

I'm constantly using http.cat/418 to look things up because who has time to memorize that shit? 401, 403, one of them is Bad Request, if I need to know details I'll look it up, otherwise I'll just keep using the http.StatusBadRequest constant in my code explicitly so I get context at a glance without having to memorize 50-ish three-letter numbers.

400 is bad request. 401 is unauthorised (you aren't logged in) whilst 403 is the dreaded forbidden (you're logged in but don't have access)

But yeah - look it up once define it as a constant and use that from then on to make way more legible code. Then your switches in your response interceptors aren't just a bunch of three-digit numbers and you can ctrl-click on the constant to jump to where it's used properly

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    Hmmmmmm, shit, still haven't submitted my Q3 goals...
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Fuckin', most doctor's offices don't even know how HIPAA works. Ask tynic or bowen.

Used to work in eHealth.

So many times I'm at a clinic or something (Canada, at least!) and sitting in an office alone with a computer and it's just... open, with information up, logged in as someone.

Like jesus, every single thing provides you with ways to lock, you've been mandatory trained on this, I know there's no excuse yet here we always fucking are.

Also that clerks/providers are monitored and trigger alerts for anything remotely suspiciously searched and get nailed, but sysadmins pretty much are invisible with full access to anything cause I guess so.

Do you know how sick I am of unlocking people's computers because they lock themselves out and forgot their password?

The same password they use every fucking day. Multiple times a day.

You'd think something as simple as typing wouldn't get fucked up but people are dumb and that's why I have a job.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    Third interview was the only one I felt solid on. Auuuuugh I suck. I should have friggin' memorized the HTTP response codes. But who the hell needs to know what 401 is ever? I figured knowing what 2xx, 3xx, 4xx, and 5xx basically cover would be enough!

If you could speak to stuff like what 4xx vs 5xx mean and what practical difference there is, that would put you ahead of a lot of people I've interviewed that may or may not have memorized a bunch of codes.

I'd never want to work somewhere that memorization was important, or that the interviewer couldn't roll with forgotten details like that. It's the thought process you're supposed to be testing.

As long as they can vaguely guess "2xx is a success of some variety, 3xx is probably moved/deleted, 4xx is client error, 5xx is server error" that's good enough for me.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Gotta enjoy having an 8am meeting and my computer decided it needed to do updates this morning.

• expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

https://www.google.com/teapot

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Fuck yeah! District approved the library guidelines. Almost exactly the same stuff I suggested. We will be physically closed to students and have plans in place to facilitate book checkout and support.

Having it be closed seems like it would be a downer, but it is a huge load off. I even had a panic dream last night about students flooding the library and no one wearing masks.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Fuck yeah! District approved the library guidelines. Almost exactly the same stuff I suggested. We will be physically closed to students and have plans in place to facilitate book checkout and support.

Having it be closed seems like it would be a downer, but it is a huge load off. I even had a panic dream last night about students flooding the library and no one wearing masks.

Glad to hear that amigo. You've been dedicated as heck to your tasks and I'm glad to see the district is at least playing ball with you.

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So my work is trying out Teams. What are folks experiences with it? Strengths, weaknesses? We already use Basecamp for project management. Will this be able to replace that? It doesn't seem like it does "assigned" work like Basecamp's To-dos or other ticket style systems.

We're using Teams currently, but only as a Slack and (at some point in the future) Skype for Business replacement, but you can add a Microsoft Planner tab to a Team and that does assigned work. We're using it as an ersatz CRM system and it works pretty well so far. As long as you can convince people to use it.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So my work is trying out Teams. What are folks experiences with it? Strengths, weaknesses? We already use Basecamp for project management. Will this be able to replace that? It doesn't seem like it does "assigned" work like Basecamp's To-dos or other ticket style systems.

We're using Teams currently, but only as a Slack and (at some point in the future) Skype for Business replacement, but you can add a Microsoft Planner tab to a Team and that does assigned work. We're using it as an ersatz CRM system and it works pretty well so far. As long as you can convince people to use it.

Yea the convincing people is always the challenge. Its taken me moving heaven and earth to get people sharing info on basecamp instead of disjointed reply all emails and hoarded private excel files.

We build multi million dollar industrial facilities! Our project management shouldn't be just email and the phone!

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    The week is dragging so much. My 7 day weekend starts at 5:30pm tomorrow and I just want to get started on not working and goofing off with 40K stuff.

I had a kind if weird interaction with a team leader taking over this training team who had never done student loans. I was trying to find someone who could do a specific process cause it is really rare and we don't actively train people to do it. The team leader said we don't do that it got weird. He asked the other team leaders and they confirmed that we do in fact do this process.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
This discussion has been closed.