As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Pandemic in a Pandemic

• RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I'd play Catan over Monopoly, as the former actually contains decisions.

Cosmic Encounter or Munchkin versus Monopoly is a tougher call

I’ve never played cosmic encounter, what makes it so bad.

Between Munchkin and Monopoly I at least have childhood nostalgia for monopoly.

Cosmic Encounter turn basically involves the following:
    Draw a card from the deck. This card tells you either who you are going to attack, or rarely allows you to choose someone.
    You then choose which of their planets you will attack.
    You choose how many ships to send.
    You ask if others would like to ally with you.
    They ask if others would like to ally with them.
    You choose an attack power card.
    They choose an attack power card.
    Add up the attacks and see who is stronger.
    Ships get sent to the void.

Outside of alien powers and diplomacy based on who is currently winning/losing, there's not a whole lot of "game" there. Especially since you can't choose who to attack each turn. It's all decided by the deck. Your ally last turn may be your target this turn. That guy may be winning, but his card hasn't come up and his alien power will allow him to ally himself with you if you try to win this battle and then he wins. Do you allow this or purposefully throw the fight?

So it can be interesting, but over time it can be kinda boring.

in addition to the point that JonBob made (that the alien powers are the game) it is one of those "games about talking". I'm not fond of them at all but it is has at least as much "game" there as any hidden-role or social deduction based game (mafia, werewolf, the resistance etc...)

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    btw a neat vid about monopoly:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubQXz5RBBtU

edit: a lot of this is pretty well known, but there was one very interesting bit in there about how the value of different sets change depending on the number of players in the game

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

Draw a card from the deck. This card tells you either who you are going to attack, or rarely allows you to choose someone.

Outside of alien powers and diplomacy based on who is currently winning/losing, there's not a whole lot of "game" there. Especially since you can't choose who to attack each turn. It's all decided by the deck. Your ally last turn may be your target this turn. That guy may be winning, but his card hasn't come up and his alien power will allow him to ally himself with you if you try to win this battle and then he wins. Do you allow this or purposefully throw the fight?

in addition to the point that JonBob made (that the alien powers are the game) it is one of those "games about talking". I'm not fond of them at all but it is has at least as much "game" there as any hidden-role or social deduction based game (mafia, werewolf, the resistance etc...)

I thought I wrote more about how the game is the alien powers and diplomacy, but I guess I fever dreamed that.

My point of the last paragraph was to say that the game is in the alien powers and diplomacy, because the backdrop for it (drawing cards and picking ships) is just a framework to build upon.

I will also say that I'm also terrible at any and every game that depends on talking/diplomacy/social deduction.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Azul was a hit with my friends last night.

"I'm going to call the red ones Cherry Starbursts."

"Please don't talk about candy in front of my copy of Azul."

"Too late."

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Azul was a hit with my friends last night.

"I'm going to call the red ones Cherry Starbursts."

"Please don't talk about candy in front of my copy of Azul."

"Too late."

Azul is made from Starbursts.
    The plastic coins in Citadels are butterscotch.
    The camels in Through the Desert are Easter candy.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Azul is made from Starbursts.
    The plastic coins in Citadels are butterscotch.
    The camels in Through the Desert are Easter candy.

Wingspan is banned in our household at Easter. Too dangerous.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Note to self: If playing Wingspan around Easter, don't accept any pieces being returned to me the following week because they "accidentally" got taken home.

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Pandemic Legacy Season 2, late-game location spoilers:
    hoUUNQ8.jpg
    As a kiwi, I have to appreciate that New Zealand's representation in the game is "acknowledge the threat of the pandemic, implement sensible precautions, and ask you politely but firmly to leave." Timely!

QPPHj1J.jpg
    Pandemic Legacy Season 2, late-game location spoilers:
    hoUUNQ8.jpg
    As a kiwi, I have to appreciate that New Zealand's representation in the game is "acknowledge the threat of the pandemic, implement sensible precautions, and ask you politely but firmly to leave." Timely!

Yes! We enjoyed that too!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular

I thought I wrote more about how the game is the alien powers and diplomacy, but I guess I fever dreamed that.

My point of the last paragraph was to say that the game is in the alien powers and diplomacy, because the backdrop for it (drawing cards and picking ships) is just a framework to build upon.

I will also say that I'm also terrible at any and every game that depends on talking/diplomacy/social deduction.

The only game of Cosmic Encounter I played, I got super into the diplomacy aspect and completely missed the incredibly obvious winning move on the board itself :razz:

Pandemic Season 0 reviews are starting to appear.

It looks fantastic. The concept is neat. It's definitely Pandemic, but twisted again so it's not just the same game but it's own ideas. It's almost a shame it's a Legacy game and not just its own standalone version like Iberia.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yay for street dates!

Out at target today and Marvel: Villainous was on the shelf.

Went to buy it? and of course they won't sell it till after Sunday at Midnight.

If anyone's curious, the villains are Thanos, Hela, Ultron, Killmonger, and Taskmaster. Not a surprising lineup given the MCU lately.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Oh shit, I didn't realize a digital version of Labrynth War on Terror was already in early access.

How is it compared to Twilight Struggle?

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Neat, they updated the BGStats app to sync your BGG collection, and added in stats/reports etc based on your owned games and stuff.

Ah_Pook on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    With the almost certain announcement of the Twilight Imperium expansion on Wednesday, I finally broke down and bought a better organizer for my copy. I went with Folded Space because as much as I like wood, this game is heavy enough as-is. The downside being that they built it expecting an expansion... so I wasn't certain about getting it until said expansion surfaced.

cS4M57fl.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    If you've ever wondered what a beast Eldritch Horror with all the expansions is, I've had this setup for 4 months ever since quarantine started.

2qwzh19rfbg0.jpg

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    MrBody wrote: »
    If you've ever wondered what a beast Eldritch Horror with all the expansions is, I've had this setup for 4 months ever since quarantine started.

I have everything but the big boxes (I own just one of those), nearly all sleeved, which is... which is a freaking nightmare. But by god I love that game.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Man I hated Eldritch Horror which is amazing cuz I will knock over my gramma for a mythos game. it was just so dry and boring.

I thought you were only supposed to use 1 big and 1 small with Eldritch horror? I guess it doesn't matter in the end...

Man, I need to get out my AH 2nd and fully display it again. My current pictures are from 7+ years ago.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I love Eldritch Horror. It's just tough to get to the table, when Mansions is right there and so much easier to manage with the app. There's a ton of emergent storytelling that is hard to come by anywhere else. More often than not, in the afterglow of a game, my group would go back and forth detailing exactly the journey their individual characters were going through as the game went on, because the writing and mechanics in the game so often excel at weaving different random threads together, pareidoliacly, into magical narratives.

• DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Athenor wrote: »
    I thought you were only supposed to use 1 big and 1 small with Eldritch horror? I guess it doesn't matter in the end...

Man, I need to get out my AH 2nd and fully display it again. My current pictures are from 7+ years ago.

Not really. I don't think it's recommended to use all the big boxes together, because no table mankind has built could hold all that nonsense, but a lot of the cards can be shuffled together for even more variety of encounters and items. Some of the expansions add debuffs to your stats, however, so you could avoid mixing those in or together for an easier game.

I'm almost debating removing the sleeves from that game due to the sheer number of cards and the fact that all of mine are currently using FFG sleeves. Well, I can't get those anymore. Everything would be mismatched! Insanity! The card stock feels pretty good, at least.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    I may have gone out and bought my store's supply of FFG green and yellow sleeves, just to make sure my games are future-proofed.

AH 2nd is done in mayday penny sleeves because of how thick FFG ones were. Any of my standard games are in Ultra-pro Pro Matte (I by them in lots of 1,000, I think I've done that 4-5 times now). That pretty much has me covered. I Don't know if my store is going to stock Gamegenic, but despite being different I've heard they are actually sized better?

... also I'm really, REALLY hoping news about some more expansions for Aftermath emerges this week. I know that that whole re-ord of Plaid Hat kinda came out of no where and they just dumped the storybook games on Z-man, who have kind of a big release to focus on. But I really want that game to keep living on.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Fuck.

I want to play Go.
    https://youtu.be/RRBjN8empIs

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    The FFG InFlight Report's kicking off right now on Twitch.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    Yay livestreams!

Clone wars Armada finally. Lots of clone wars all around.

edited July 2020
    Whelp. Stream crashed like 5 times. Judging by the timing, I'm willing to bet their streaming rig overheated and crashed.

They are going to record it and upload to Youtube.

So what we did get:

X-wing is getting a good bit of ships: TIE heavy, droid tri-wing, republic V-wing, the Jedi Interceptor (with hyperspace ring that I Think they implied would work with other ships), and a Resistance Ace pack of 2 X-wings and a Y wing.

Legion is getting Anakin Skywalker and Darth Maul w/ probe droids, and operative packs for droids and more clone troopers.

Armada is getting Clone Wars starters and fighter packs, and an upgrade pack that sets everything to standard card sizes. That's right - game is still compatible with Armada 1.0, but they are dropping the Tarot and mini card sizes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Vw7AcGNqzQ

Keyforge is getting a really cool aquatic themed pack and faction. There's gonna be a mechanic added called the "Tide" - costs 3 chains to get the tide on your side. The aquatic faction is going to replace Dis for now. Oh, and they are making "Evil twin" Decks - still unique, but tweaked, super difficult evil versions of the decks. This new set for early 2021 is also going to have 200 or so new cards in it.

They showed the names of the Mythos packs for the AH LCG... and then the stream died.

Athenor on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Something I'm actually excited about with those Armada starters is that they're a new format for starters that are faction specific. Hopefully this is something that becomes the norm instead of the two-player boxes that don't really give you enough to really dig into the game.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    They showed the names of the Mythos packs for the AH LCG... and then the stream died.

Those fools, they should have known that "Syzygy" was the passphrase to open the gate in Roseville!

It's up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10qOUFfWU4g

"Inns Mouth" will bug me forever

edited July 2020
    That's how I've always pronounced it?

Anyways, quick recap of the additional things:

A new standalone scenario for AH LCG

A new cycle of L5R LCG

A new Lion / warfare book and companion adventure for the L5R RPG -- but this will be the last one from FFG, they are gonna talk about Edge's plans tomorrow on their stream.

Marvel Champions is getting: Ant-Man, Wasp, Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch as the next set of heroes. They will have some tag synergies, and Ant-Man and Wasp will get giant cards. Also the next campaign is Guardians of the Galaxy themed, with Groot and Rocket going against Ronan, The Collector, and others.

They also announced a new board game, X-men related. It's a dice rolling co-op. Didn't do too much for me because dice games have a tendency to be plain and let's be honest, a LOT of Marvel is coming out of Asmodee right now. But hey, it's acknowledging the comic mutants! That's something!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WGn9j8Lv1U

TI4's expansion got officially unveiled. The Machat are returning, as are their guardians. 3 new leaders per faction, mechs are being introduced, 2 new player colors, relics, legendary planets, space-lanes (I saw a wormhole surrounded by asteroids)... there'll be more in the next couple of days.

And finally, they teased an absolutely GINORMOUS box for Descent: Legends of the Dark. The box is labeled "Act 1" and design credit goes to Kara Centell-Dunk and Nathan H--- I can't make out the end of it and Google's not helping.

Athenor on
    That's how I've always pronounced it?
    It's Inns Mouth in the BBC audio drama, and that's probably right, but as someone from the Northeast it just bugs me. The Mayflower landing site isn't at Ply Mouth. Anyway not really board game related sorry for the tangent.
    Anyways, quick recap of the additional things:

A new standalone scenario for AH LCG

A new cycle of L5R LCG

A new Lion / warfare book and companion adventure for the L5R RPG -- but this will be the last one from FFG, they are gonna talk about Edge's plans tomorrow on their stream.

Marvel Champions is getting: Ant-Man, Wasp, Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch as the next set of heroes. They will have some tag synergies, and Ant-Man and Wasp will get giant cards. Also the next campaign is Guardians of the Galaxy themed, with Groot and Rocket going against Ronan, The Collector, and others.

They also announced a new board game, X-men related. It's a dice rolling co-op. Didn't do too much for me because dice games have a tendency to be plain and let's be honest, a LOT of Marvel is coming out of Asmodee right now. But hey, it's acknowledging the comic mutants! That's something!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WGn9j8Lv1U

TI4's expansion got officially unveiled. The Machat are returning, as are their guardians. 3 new leaders per faction, mechs are being introduced, 2 new player colors, relics, legendary planets, space-lanes (I saw a wormhole surrounded by asteroids)... there'll be more in the next couple of days.

And finally, they teased an absolutely GINORMOUS box for Descent: Legends of the Dark. The box is labeled "Act 1" and design credit goes to Kara Centell-Dunk and Nathan H--- I can't make out the end of it and Google's not helping.

Super amused at the idea of giant Ant-Man and Wasp cards. They need to release another big box soon though, running out of room in the base set box!

Re the X-Men game, I'm glad to see them bringing in more of the non-MCU properties though yeah I'd have to see a lot more about a dice game before wanting to pick it up.

Descent: LotD got leaked a few weeks ago by a careless blurb for the tie-in novel so I don't know why they're being all coy about it.

Ahhh, that explains all the people begging for Descent news, seemingly out of the blue.

The Rise of Red Skull campaign for Champions comes out September, I believe.

And I think the X-men game might be a reimplementation of Elder Sign? Someone mentioned the same developer?

edited July 2020
    It would definitely be "Inns-myth" were it a real town. No one says "Ply mouth" or "Bourne mouth" or "Dart mouth" as far as I'm aware. Maybe there's some regional variation that I'm missing?

BloodySloth on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    -muth not -myth.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Yeah, I've always pronounced it Inns-muth in my head. I don't think I've ever had a reason to speak it aloud.

Though I do say pli-myth. I can't explain.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I've always said Dart Mouth actually. And Inns Mouth.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I'm curious about what that new Descent game is, but I'm personally not interested in a 1vMany game or an app run game so I think the odds of it being something I actually care about are very low.

Article on the X-Men game is up, and it's definitely a descendant of Elder Sign with a little of the Imperial Assault dice pools thrown in. Not having to complete an entire location card on a single character's go is an improvement (you get the whole turn so the rest of the team can try to hit the other lines), and having some characters work better or worse with others seems neat, but it's a twenty dollar price premium over ES, and ES took way too long for what it is, so, ehhhh.

edited July 2020
    -muth not -myth.

Sure, that's probably more accurate. Point being the "mouth" part of the name here is really short.

BloodySloth on
    edited July 2020
    Edge Studio is doing their video.

So far:

L5R is getting Writ of the Wild, covering Dragon and Dragonfly clans, monks, and some other things.

Genesys is getting Legacy of the Forerunners or something like that - basically Twilight Imperium RPG.

They are currently working on keeping the Foundary going. They need to work on contracts, licenses, logistics, and so on.

They are also hoping to release "Midnight Legacies of Darkness" - remastered version of Midnight from 20 years ago.

... Sounds like Edge is not continuing the Star Wars RPG. Which I'm honestly not surprised at.

Edit: Oh, okay, they can't talk about SW RPG.. which means discussions are happening, I'd assume.
    They are still working out transitioning the games from FFG to Edge, and they are not stopping the selling/printing of old books.
    They've also been really, REALLY up front about cultural sensitivity issues with Midnight and L5R.

Athenor on