As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

National Protests are Still a Thing Because of [Police Brutality]

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Sincere non baiting question.

Why did federal law enforcement pick Portland Oregon as their Stalingrad?

I'm not understanding.

To show that they could stage themselves in a state with a Democratic Executive and Legislature and that nobody would be able or willing to stop them.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

I'm not understanding.

The decision was likely between Portland and Seattle for persistent demonstrations that got on Fox News (meaning Trump actually heard of them), and Portland offered a better loophole since protests were centered around a federal courthouse where federal law enforcement had a legal function, while Seattle was centered around a local police station.

Hevach on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    So the NYPD has the resources to use like 12 officers to arrest someone for putting up stickers

guess they're overfunded

Someone needs to calculate the actual cost to tax payers for this.
    So for the officers, given roughly an average wage of 34 bucks an hour. Fully loaded (with fringe, G&A and overhead) it’s about 68 bucks an hour. 1 hour to arrest and transport the suspect. 1 hour to do the associated paperwork. So 24 hours total. It works out to be about 1600 bucks in direct costs. And the cost of holding them a day. Which looks to be about a hundo. So 1700 bonesish.

I'm sure they're pulling mad OT too. The NYPD has made a fortune off the protests

• Options
    PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

I'm not understanding.

To show that they could stage themselves in a state with a Democratic Executive and Legislature and that nobody would be able or willing to stop them.

Portland also has a reputation for going hard when it comes to protests, so if they were looking to try and escalate to the point the protesters respond with violence, it would be a logical choice. Fortunately that reputation for going hard comes with years of experience and cooler heads prevailed.

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

I'm not understanding.

Basically what everyone else is saying.

Portland, and Oregon in general, is pretty heavily Dem.

It’s a Dem mayor, with a Dem governor, two Dem Senators, four out of five Dem Reps, and a majority is Dem in the state Senate and state House.

Trump is using Portland to fuel his “Dems are weak” propaganda by instigating racial tensions and using the violence he is starting as a cudgel against Biden.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular

I'm not understanding.

Portland also has a reputation for going hard when it comes to protests, so if they were looking to try and escalate to the point the protesters respond with violence, it would be a logical choice. Fortunately that reputation for going hard comes with years of experience and cooler heads prevailed.

Whereas Seattle, by comparison, is known for half-assing it. ;)

In all seriousness though, it was good to see how Portland dealt with this, and I think on the whole the administration lost on this one.

• Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    mcdermott wrote: »

I'm not understanding.

In all seriousness though, it was good to see how Portland dealt with this, and I think on the whole the administration lost on this one.

I don’t think so. I think they learned how to do it more effectively next time.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

I'm not understanding.

I think they learned to go do it in a blacker city so there aren't so many photos of white women being brutalized by the feds.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

I'm not understanding.

We'll have to see, but this is the Trump admin we're talking about a group of morons who stumble from one self inflicted crisis to the next. They were able to get away with this for as long as they did because it was the west cost forgotten states. But the media constantly is in the midwest asking diners full of trump voters why they voted trump so they might notice his brown shirts beating up people there.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

I'm not understanding.

I think they learned to go do it in a blacker city so there aren't so many photos of white women being brutalized by the feds.

They also realized that the protesters weren't biting on the violence and giving them the riots they wanted, so they are going to reroll elsewhere.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

I'm not understanding.

Portland and Seattle are the preseason. They're moving on to Cleveland, Detroit, and Milwaukee. Trump took MI and WI by <0.78% of those that voted - just 33,452 people - and he's really far behind in the polls there. Trump's currently polling under Biden or tied in Ohio.

So he's taking his authoritarian roadshow to the Midwest, to beat up some protesters, throw his weight around, and try and push for increased local police presence around protests.

Also, keep in mind that the feds have NOT confirmed that they're totally withdrawing from Portland. They say that they won't withdraw until they're satisfied local officials have the situation under control. Which presumably means continuing to gas the shit out of anyone with the temerity to ask that cops stop killing black folk.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

The NYPD kidnapping an organizer of the peaceful 24 hour march today and throwing them in unmarked van from Abolition Park on Instagram.

Joshua Potash is providing this footage, though I cannot verify if it belongs to him. Still, it is an avenue to a primary source.

Early this year I read Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland. Which was a fantastic historical look at the IRA/The Troubles in Northern Ireland. Its an amazing book. I can't recommend it enough, but...

I can't shake feeling like I need to re-read it not as a historical work but more for tips and tricks. Cause this shit is right out of the SAS playbook.

Protesters have been remarkably restrained this entire time. I can only imagine how the police would react if people fought back like the IRA during the Troubles.

I don't know about all police across the country but I imagine the federal pissbabies that took the cheap shots on the Navy vet in Portland would crap themselves if they ran into anything like the IRA.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Yeah. I guess that's where my confusion came from. Why not go to a higher minority population city and play to the stereotype of the riotous minority thugs?

I've lived in the Portland area for 6 years now and am largely "from" NorCal / Bay Area and I just never considered Portland to be that diverse or easy a target.

It seems common knowledge here that the police in Seattle and Portland have a really rough history surrounding police shootings/violence and not just minorities.

I was totally unaware before I moved here. So it just seemed like a really stupid place to try and deploy ICE/CBP. I'd guess Seattle or Chicago or Atlanta. Somewhere that the state might actually back them up against the city leaders.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    jdarksun wrote: »

I'm not understanding.

Portland and Seattle are the preseason. They're moving on to Cleveland, Detroit, and Milwaukee. Trump took MI and WI by <0.78% of those that voted - just 33,452 people - and he's really far behind in the polls there. Trump's currently polling under Biden or tied in Ohio.

So he's taking his authoritarian roadshow to the Midwest, to beat up some protesters, throw his weight around, and try and push for increased local police presence around protests.

Also, keep in mind that the feds have NOT confirmed that they're totally withdrawing from Portland. They say that they won't withdraw until they're satisfied local officials have the situation under control. Which presumably means continuing to gas the shit out of anyone with the temerity to ask that cops stop killing black folk.

They've also only said they're withdrawing from "Downtown". Portland is split by a river* and three bridges. Downtown doesn't really mean anything.

If they're loading up in a party van to abduct people who live out in Hillsboro, Gresham or Clackamas it's not even technically Portland.

* It's three rivers but only kind of, as it's where they split/merge. Portland is a bridge filled hellscape to drive in.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

I'm not understanding.

They've also only said they're withdrawing from "Downtown". Portland is split by a river* and three bridges. Downtown doesn't really mean anything.

If they're loading up in a party van to abduct people who live out in Hillsboro, Gresham or Clackamas it's not even technically Portland.

* It's three rivers but only kind of, as it's where they split/merge. Portland is a bridge filled hellscape to drive in.

The protests are also extremely confined to like a 3 block area of downtown. So while they might try to do their crap elsewhere, the justification for it is going to be even thinner than now.

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular

I'm not understanding.

A couple likely reasons mainly surrounding the liklihood of confrontation and the density of news media.

First off the main criteria is that there not be a lot of news media in the area. This means that we must be on the West Coast (the association to the West Coast Liberal adds to the appeal) but cannot be in LA. That leaves San Fran, Seattle, and Portland. San Fran has almost as much media as LA so this is right out. We're down to Portland and Seattle.

Advantages to Portland include:

1) Portland is super liberal and there are a number of actual anarchist groups in the area. They're not big but they're more organized in general than the Seattle anarchists.

2) Portland is by far the most remote of the major cities on the West Coast. The Portland Metro area is about 60% the size of Seattle and Seattle has Amazon and is closer to the border and has a true international airport*. IIRC it also has more major installations for various Federal Agencies many of whose PNW operations are based here. (its also functionally the base for half of the Pacific Fleet). While this might make it seem like Seattle was the more obvious choice it also means that there is more likely to be mainstream news in the area.

3) Portland protests were centered on the Federal courthouse. The (multiple) Seattle Federal buildings are no where near the protests.

*less true now, but still more than 2.5x the volume

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Ah wait I just had another realization

The gestapo in Cleveland, Milwaukee, and Detroit is about suppressing votes there

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    The BLM mural here in downtown Spokane was defaced overnight with white and blue paint because of course it was. This is on the tail of a series of incidences a couple weeks back where white supremacist propaganda flyers were left on dozens of cars all around Spokane and Airway Heights and such. The fundraiser to fix the mural and maybe set up some cameras is already at like $2,500 dollars so that's cool.

This is a Twitter post from a local journalist about the finished mural. I don't care to post the defaced one.

Edit: if you wanted to see the mural in more detail, check it out here https://www.inlander.com/spokane/black-lives-matter-mural/Slideshow/19981608

Also the fundraiser is st almost five grand now so suck it racists.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Portland has also been a Fox News thing for a while with the running battles between Proud Boys and anti-fascists there over the course of the Trump Administration. That's probably the initial reason. But they've realized that oppressing white mothers is not a good luck so they're fucking off to much blacker cities to try to get the footage they want.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The ACLU was able to secure a restraining order against federal agents in Portland attacking the press and legal observers. Said thugs have been ignoring it, so the ACLU is back in court to... uh... find them in contempt? I mean I get that's probably the next legal step prior to just having the agents arrested or some shit but still.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    The BLM mural here in downtown Spokane was defaced overnight with white and blue paint because of course it was. This is on the tail of a series of incidences a couple weeks back where white supremacist propaganda flyers were left on dozens of cars all around Spokane and Airway Heights and such. The fundraiser to fix the mural and maybe set up some cameras is already at like $2,500 dollars so that's cool.

This is a Twitter post from a local journalist about the finished mural. I don't care to post the defaced one.

Edit: if you wanted to see the mural in more detail, check it out here https://www.inlander.com/spokane/black-lives-matter-mural/Slideshow/19981608

I'm seeing overt Nazis in tweet replies far more often since the focus has shifted to the PNW. Is there a regional correlation there, or am I just killing it on dirtbag bingo?

• Options

I'm seeing overt Nazis in tweet replies far more often since the focus has shifted to the PNW. Is there a regional correlation there, or am I just killing it on dirtbag bingo?

Washington was the original “free white state” that a lot of white supremacists tried to institute like the old “all the libertarians move to NH” idea.

Dave Niewert at orcinus has more (google the blog name) and has covered the movement since the 70s

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

There are a number of hotspots in the region for the sort, such as the Idaho Panhandle/Eastern Washington and the California/Oregon border. It's also worth remembering Oregon's history as an attempted "white homeland".

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    The ACLU was able to secure a restraining order against federal agents in Portland attacking the press and legal observers. Said thugs have been ignoring it, so the ACLU is back in court to... uh... find them in contempt? I mean I get that's probably the next legal step prior to just having the agents arrested or some shit but still.

Unfortunately even if held in contempt they’d get sprung by an emergency appeal to a conservative appellate court.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

I mean, that defense worked really well when the Nazis tried it, right? Right?

• Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Using the Nuremberg defense against comparisons with Nazis.

That’s a Bold move, Cotton, let’s see how it works.

Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    For more on PWN Nazi's here is the link to Dave Neiwert i should have linked earlier but was on my phone. On the blog is not always specific to the PNW since there is... well a lot going on in the world that overshadows our little corner of the Nazi world.

http://dneiwert.blogspot.com/

Wikipedia can get you started with information on

The Order:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Order_(white_supremacist_group)

And their "Northwest Territorial Imperative" (which was the impetus for the events preceding Ruby Ridge.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Order_(white_supremacist_group)

I haven't read any of his books(though i should have), i just follow his blog intermittently. But his first book. "In God's Country
    The Patriot Movement and the Pacific Northwest" i understand to be more or less the authoritative volume on PNW white supremacy up until the 2000's.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    His book Eliminationists was a really good, scary look at the American right over a decade ago. nowadays it would probably look terrifyingly prescient.

• Options
    LabelLabel Registered User regular
    Looks like the feds are going still going at it in portland.

I wish i could be surprised.

• Options
    MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Label wrote: »

Ironically, if the Portland Police really wanted to reform their image with the constituency, they could be out there, in quantity in uniform, de-tacticalized (ie, not wearing the full riot gear), and responding to the federal goons with "Whoa, whoa, whoa, we're here to protect and serve OUR community", and putting themselves in the line of fire, and preventing the abductions we've seen.

There's a risk, because of all the bad blood over the past two months, but it'd help with getting the community back on side, at least a little, that it's not "cops vs public". It'd be what a "good cop" would do. But they don't, because #ACAB.

It's like the Republicans in Congress re Covid. They have outs that could save them. But they're too fucking stubborn, and too fucking stupid, and too fucking entitled, to take the obvious lifeline that's available.

• Options
    MorganV wrote: »

Ironically, if the Portland Police really wanted to reform their image with the constituency, they could be out there, in quantity in uniform, de-tacticalized (ie, not wearing the full riot gear), and responding to the federal goons with "Whoa, whoa, whoa, we're here to protect and serve OUR community", and putting themselves in the line of fire, and preventing the abductions we've seen.

There's a risk, because of all the bad blood over the past two months, but it'd help with getting the community back on side, at least a little, that it's not "cops vs public". It'd be what a "good cop" would do. But they don't, because #ACAB.

It's like the Republicans in Congress re Covid. They have outs that could save them. But they're too fucking stubborn, and too fucking stupid, and too fucking entitled, to take the obvious lifeline that's available.

The hardest step toward changing is admitting you were wrong. True for people. True for organizations.

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

The hardest step toward changing is admitting you were wrong. True for people. True for organizations.

And the PPB is kinda shit even for cops.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »

Seriously. SPD and PPB are full of horror stories.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

There are a number of hotspots in the region for the sort, such as the Idaho Panhandle/Eastern Washington and the California/Oregon border. It's also worth remembering Oregon's history as an attempted "white homeland".

you don't even have to go to eastern washington

lots of hammerskins meet up in Everett and Maltby

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

The realization that Nazis have, for some time now, been trying to colonize the northwest has certainly filled in a few blanks for me as to why two very blue cities, in two very blue states, seem to have such fascist police departments.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

If the local police were inclined to defend the protesters against excessive force there wouldn't be protests in the first place because what is being protested is the police's default behavior of using excessive force.

• Options

The realization that Nazis have, for some time now, been trying to colonize the northwest has certainly filled in a few blanks for me as to why two very blue cities, in two very blue states, seem to have such fascist police departments.

40% of Washington state voted for Trump. 20% of King County voted for Trump. As we all know, almost every state is actually purple. Even setting aside the Nazi presence in the PNW...which is real, don't get me wrong...there are more than enough conservatives living in any state in the country for police forces to draw from. Police departments have a self-reinforcing culture that encourages excessive force and discourages accountability, from top to bottom. And unlike the military, which at least has the college benefits and the expectation of one-and-done contracts to draw from a broader political cross section, police work is a career that you enter into with the intent of staying indefinitely. You plan to wear a badge for twenty years or more. Because of the real political divides that exist, I have to assume that's going to skew conservative and authoritarian.

How many open-minded, liberal people do you know that are like "I wanna be a cop?" It doesn't matter how liberal or blue your city or state thinks it is, the police can easily fill the ranks with buzzcuts looking to crack skulls. Those people are all around us, everywhere.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I don't know if it's been mentioned in here (so many atrocity threads, so little time), but I came across this in a tweet that I thought was fairly interesting, though I don't know the guy's qualifications.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onmsFzEtK7U&amp;feature=emb_title
    Basically: This is all going exactly as written in the book when shit is handled incorrectly, and if they keep mishandling shit things are going to get worse.

The specific book being referred to:
    https://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm3-24.pdf
    FM 3-24
    MCWP 3-33.5
    INSURGENCIES AND
    COUNTERING
    INSURGENCIES

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

40% of Washington state voted for Trump. 20% of King County voted for Trump. As we all know, almost every state is actually purple. Even setting aside the Nazi presence in the PNW...which is real, don't get me wrong...there are more than enough conservatives living in any state in the country for police forces to draw from. Police departments have a self-reinforcing culture that encourages excessive force and discourages accountability, from top to bottom. And unlike the military, which at least has the college benefits and the expectation of one-and-done contracts to draw from a broader political cross section, police work is a career that you enter into with the intent of staying indefinitely. You plan to wear a badge for twenty years or more. Because of the real political divides that exist, I have to assume that's going to skew conservative and authoritarian.

How many open-minded, liberal people do you know that are like "I wanna be a cop?" It doesn't matter how liberal or blue your city or state thinks it is, the police can easily fill the ranks with buzzcuts looking to crack skulls. Those people are all around us, everywhere.

Which is itself a long-term problem for dealing with shitty policing because at some point you are gonna have to get people not like that into those job.

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    see317 wrote: »
    I don't know if it's been mentioned in here (so many atrocity threads, so little time), but I came across this in a tweet that I thought was fairly interesting, though I don't know the guy's qualifications.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onmsFzEtK7U&amp;feature=emb_title
    Basically: This is all going exactly as written in the book when shit is handled incorrectly, and if they keep mishandling shit things are going to get worse.

The specific book being referred to:
    https://fas.org/irp/doddir/army/fm3-24.pdf
    FM 3-24
    MCWP 3-33.5
    INSURGENCIES AND
    COUNTERING
    INSURGENCIES

These people can’t even follow a 60- page pamplet on how to handle a pandemic you expect them to read and follow a manual on best counterinsurgency practices?

This discussion has been closed.