As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Valorant] Combining the communities of CS and LoL. What could possibly go wrong?

ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA!Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
edited June 2020 in Games and Technology
3H8Ur89ptqGLvNcCShW6Dh-650-80.jpg.webp

Valorant is a free to play game about planting explosive spikes in the ground as a team. You pick a class, buy stuff. It's like CS + class shooter. It's pretty good. It's made by Riot who's also made League of Legends, Teamfight Tactics, Legends of Runeterra, and now this!

Right now there are four maps and 9 champs. Here's a video about them!

I didn't see a thread for Valorant and I've been playing it and I want to talk about it and maybe play with not myself. Anyone else doing this? If I missed the thread point me in the right direction!

I've been enjoying it despite mostly being a more arcadey shooter fan in the past, Overwatch and COD. It's been quite the learning curve. I kind of dislike the hero unlocking speed/method, I've gotten the two free, but unlocking anymore appears to be a slog. The game is also bad at onboarding I think.

ChaosHat on

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Gonna bump this at least once, someone else around here must play this.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I've also been enjoying it, which came as quite a surprise as I hated CS..honestly the community hasn't been that bad either for the most part, better than LoL's at least

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    I've also been enjoying it, which came as quite a surprise as I hated CS..honestly the community hasn't been that bad either for the most part, better than LoL's at least

It's very hit or miss for me community wise. I feel like it ranges from "terrible person" to "decent teammate." Like the ends of the scale aren't well balanced, there's not an anti asshole.

It's really fun though. Like you said I'm not a cs person at all but the gameplay loop is really satisfying. I wish they would add deathmatch. I feel like I really just need a lot of practice with shooting and peeking and it's hard to cram that in when you die and have to sit out for a minute or two.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I am curious about this one. I’ve played a decent amount of both Overwatch and Apex, but fell off both of them after a short while. I used to really enjoy CS, but these days I feel like my twitch shooting skills have gone down the drain. Despite both of these, I’m oddly drawn the CS w/ Heroes idea. I’ll probably download this and give it a try in the next few days.

How’s the player base so far? Is the matchmaking skill-based at least so that a new player won’t get absolutely mauled at first?

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Anyone playing for the first time, I would recommend going to the "about" tab and checking your region. It can be a little wonky, I found out after my first game that it had placed me in Argentina (I do not live in Argentina).

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Finally played a bit of this tonight. Jesus Fucking Christ, I seriously cannot compete with these teenagers and their razor-sharp reflexes and head shots and whatnot. This is a tough game for an old man.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Yeah it's tough. Sometimes I don't know how the hell they killed me so fast. I think a lot of it is crosshair placement combined with just knowing the map layouts and common player patterns more.

There are a lot of other things I haven't figured out, like how patient to be when waiting someone out. I always go "well okay they couldn't possibly still be standing there staring at me-oh shit."

One thing I've realized that is probably a bad habit at higher levels is if you see your ally die you can usually just turn the corner and kill them while they're reloading. People really have reload ocd, they gotta top it off the first instant.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Tried a bit, and was reminded how sick I am of iron sights in FPSs.

Something that blocks half your view that you have to use for half the playtime? Fun! I could understand it in FPSs designed to be immersive like Red Orchestra or the SWAT games, but an Overwatch clone? pfffff

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    you dont need to use the ads in this game basically ever

its a cs clone not an overwatch clone

vandal/phantom etc all have basically cs ak/m4 properties with no ads ie they first shot lethally accurate and have very controllable recoil

afaik the ads just slows fire rate and gives you a zoom, making the recoil tighter

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    the tighter spread/recoil is relevant for long range engagements with the vandal (and i would assume the phantom and maybe the guardian as well), and relevant at midrange with the LMGs (Ares/Odin), but yeah most engagements you don't want to ADS

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    Yeah that was something a (shockingly) helpful random person taught me early on when I started playing this. I also didn't realize that ADS slowed fire rate too.

Something I started doing after reading an infographic about pro mouse sensitivity was crank my DPI down to 400 from 1k. By god what a difference. The actual fine tune aiming is way better but the turning muscle memory is still a short flick so if they appear in the middle of the screen they're dead, and if I have to turn I end up moving about half the distance and then dying.

Really puts an emphasis on preplacing the crosshair!

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Been putting a little bit of time in to this each day. Still shaking off the rust, haven't played CS since Source and never particularly loved 5v5 lobbies.

A highlight from today with @vagrant_winds on comms

https://youtu.be/PFku4HQv558

(I need my fucking P90 something fierce, though)

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I am so bad at this game. Why you gotta show off how bad I am?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    My mates and I have picked this up as our game de jour as of late.

It definitely seems like there's a separate queue for full premades. Since it takes way longer to find a match when we're 5.

As such we were getting our butts kicked a fair bit. We're just starting to get our callouts and area control abilities down and it's making games a lot more competitive.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I've been playing this a bit, having fun, it scratches some of the CS:GO itch since that games security issues made me avoid it for awhile, but one thing it doesn't have is that a lot of CS was, more casual I guess? There's more of a commitment with Valorant, and the smaller teams means even in the unranked mode it's more competitive than the unranked CS:GO stuff, in a lot of ways.

Also the skin pricing is absolutely disgusting and to me seems like it's aimed at whales which I despise as a monetizing strategy.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I've been playing this a bit, having fun, it scratches some of the CS:GO itch since that games security issues made me avoid it for awhile, but one thing it doesn't have is that a lot of CS was, more casual I guess? There's more of a commitment with Valorant, and the smaller teams means even in the unranked mode it's more competitive than the unranked CS:GO stuff, in a lot of ways.

Also the skin pricing is absolutely disgusting and to me seems like it's aimed at whales which I despise as a monetizing strategy.

Especially considering how low quality the assets are, absolutely insane pricing! I've seen a fair few people with skins in game though, so people are clearly buying them.

Definitely agreed on the intensity. I find myself not wanting to play much anymore, just due to how goddamn sweaty every game is.