As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Official Bug Identification Thread Starring Arch, Bugboy, and Fiendishrabbit

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    It's the taste of protein umami.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    That's a Rove beetle in the family Staphylinidae!

It might be a Devil's Coach Horse Beetle (Ocypus olens), but I'm not nearly an expert on Rove beetles.

Also, it's definitely too many names for one bug!

They're harmless to you and actually eat a lot of garden pests, including snails!

I'd never heard of a Devil's Coach Horse Beetle until I picked up Empires of the Undergrowth. They're a formidable enemy in the game!

Although when I wiki'd them, it didn't say anything about them preying on ants. I gather they'll eat anything they can fit in their jaws, though?

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    With the exception of some parasitoid rove beetles ants are not a common prey for rove beetles. Unless they use traps (like spiders) virtually all ant-predators are very specialized, with very sophisticated means of infiltrating or warding off ants.

Because ants are generally not soft targets, and if you're an insect they're more likely to eat you than the other way around.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Ants are to me literally the most terrifying being on this planet.

I've seen footage of roving ant colonies literally obliterating anything that was too slow to get out of the way. Snakes, Spiders, Birds, Mammals of varying sizes, any insect...Doesn't matter it will be drowned in acid, filled with poison and taken apart by thousands of tiny jaws.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    bwanie wrote: »

I've seen footage of roving ant colonies literally obliterating anything that was too slow to get out of the way. Snakes, Spiders, Birds, Mammals of varying sizes, any insect...Doesn't matter it will be drowned in acid, filled with poison and taken apart by thousands of tiny jaws.

Grey goo is already here, it's just brown and has jaws?

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »

Grey goo is already here, it's just brown and has jaws?

Also, sometimes movie characters make friends with one and you cry when the friendly ant dies

That's right, ants can take you apart emotionally

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    If you've never seen AntsCanada, man that guy can tell a story. The death of The Fire Nation was one of the saddest things.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    So this thread is kind of perfect since I just got stung on the arm and it hurt a surprising amount.

Just making sure my arm won't fall off or anything.

f206ax8w5f5w.jpg

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I'm pretty sure that's an assassin bug nymph* (many assassin bug nymphs are red, regardless of what they will look like when they're adult).

They're really only dangerous in south and central america where they can carry really nasty passengers (like the parasites that cause chagas disease). They bite like motherfuckers though (sting, bite. Dunno what to call it but they jab you with their needle-like mouthparts).

P.S: It has wings. Which means it's adult. Still assassin bug.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    Thanks!

Because I defeated him in battle does this mean I'm an assassin now?

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Thanks!

Only if you ate the heart to gain its strength.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I'd second that's an assassin bug of some type, but would also like to mention that the subfamily of assassin bugs that carry chagas (the Traitominae, or kissing bugs) definitely exists in the United States, and we have many strains of Chagas in circulation domestically. Chagas in the United States is primarily a canine disease, however, because in order to get infected with Chagas you need to rub the feces of the kissing bug into the open wound caused by the bite. For various reasons United States Triatomines don't defecate where they bite, unlike other species.

In addition, we don't tend to encounter many kissing bugs in the United States, since they tend to live in more wooded areas. In other countries where people have thatched roofs and dirt floors, you're more likely to run into kissing bugs.

Anyway the point is that the reason it's a disease we primarily see in dogs is because dogs, upon being bitten, will eat the insect, thus ingesting the parasite.

This is actually the focus of some of my personal research, in conjunction with Texas A&M's Chagas Disease initiative.

Arch on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    Thanks!

Requiescat in secta

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Thanks!

No, first you have to go through your entire house clear all the templar bug nests.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    They bite like motherfuckers though (sting, bite. Dunno what to call it but they jab you with their needle-like mouthparts).
    If there's already a sub family called 'kissing bugs,'
    then it seems like a fine opportunity to appropriate "snog" from the British and give it an entirely different meaning that is still contextually similar enough to change the meaning of a sentence.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    That might be confusing, since they're called "kissing bugs" because they like to bite humans around the lips while you sleep so they can drink your blood. Also around the eyes, but I guess they couldn't come up with a cute name for that.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Jedoc wrote: »
    That might be confusing, since they're called "kissing bugs" because they like to bite humans around the lips while you sleep so they can drink your blood. Also around the eyes, but I guess they couldn't come up with a cute name for that.

AHH!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

• Options
    Thanks!

No, first you have to go through your entire house clear all the templar bug nests.

There are no Templar bugs.
    There are however
    Clymene moths, aka Crusader moths
    XZCLKZOLYLKHSRYZMRKH4R0H4RHHIZCLQZRH6ROLXZULQRWLYLJZHZTZQRZHGR1L5RTL5RSHXRWLHZCZRZWLSR9L7ZDL.jpg

And Crusader bugs
    30686253117_90a75e0511_c.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Thanks!

There are no Templar bugs.
    There are however
    Clymene moths, aka Crusader moths
    XZCLKZOLYLKHSRYZMRKH4R0H4RHHIZCLQZRH6ROLXZULQRWLYLJZHZTZQRZHGR1L5RTL5RSHXRWLHZCZRZWLSR9L7ZDL.jpg

And Crusader bugs
    30686253117_90a75e0511_c.jpg

Whatever you say, Abstergo crony. We know the truth!

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    For some reason, I thought assassin bugs used their mouth parts to cut open tough leaves to get at the gooey insides. Did I make that up?

• Options
    That's what most hemiptera do. And some of the larger ones, like leaf-footed bugs, have a very similar body plan to assassin bugs.

tqn9so67rtda.png

But no, assassin bugs are straight up carnivores. One reason their bites hurt so bad despite the lack of venom is because they inject their victims with digestive juices and then slurp up the dissolved tissue. A lot like spiders, except with a long crazy hypodermic mouthpart instead of retractable fangs.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Man, I'm actually kind of glad I started my morning getting chomped on. Learned some interesting and gross things today.

*TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    D:D:D:

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    it's called a proboscis, a modified head/mouthpart. In this case evolved into a stinging apparatus.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    I've spotted a couple of these things recently around my home in central VA, USA. Wingspan is maybe 25% bigger than a quarter. At first I mistook it for some type of fancy day-moth, but my roommate was like "dude, that's a fly":

XspNcCo.jpg

Using my totally scientific method of "that sort of looks like it," I have identified this as Xenox tigrinus, the Tiger Bee Fly

• Options
    Fry wrote: »
    I've spotted a couple of these things recently around my home in central VA, USA. Wingspan is maybe 25% bigger than a quarter. At first I mistook it for some type of fancy day-moth, but my roommate was like "dude, that's a fly":

XspNcCo.jpg

Using my totally scientific method of "that sort of looks like it," I have identified this as Xenox tigrinus, the Tiger Bee Fly

It's a tiger bee fly. If you were further west or south it could be one of it's nearly identical cousins, but in VA it's a Tiger Bee fly.

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Insects surviving freezing temperatures is a lot easier to believe than microwaving them. The latter being much more disruptive at cellular level...

Insects can survive microwaving though. Oven microwaves are standing waves with a wavelength far longer than the diameter of roughly ant-sized insects. Thus from an insects perspective, the oven contains islands of high energy that heat them up, and low energy areas where they can chill down. And if the insect has a sufficiently large surface area to volume ratio, it's able to quickly cool down all the heat it receives from passing through a high-energy island, making the oven entirely survivable.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    But are they really microwaved then?

And i wonder, if the disc is spinning, will they figure out where to move?

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    So I had this hitchhiker on my car earlier (NJ) what Pokémon is this? gdxjn6tzjjcx.jpeg

Maguano on
    steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • Options
    Furry little bastard.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    Don't touch it, a lot of caterpillars that look that like that in the northeast have pretty potent contact poisons. They're like creeping little wigs full of poison ivy.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Maguano wrote: »
    So I had this hitchhiker on my car earlier (NJ) what Pokémon is this? gdxjn6tzjjcx.jpeg

It's a sycamore tussock moth caterpillar (Halysidota harrisii). The hairs are barbed and designed to irritate the fuck out of anyone stupid enough to touch it.

Fiendishrabbit on
  • Options
    Looks like a good lure for fishing

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    saw a white one of those the other day in NJ also

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Aren't the white ones the kill-on-sight-to-prevent-ecological-disaster moths?

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Ringo wrote: »
    Aren't the white ones the kill-on-sight-to-prevent-ecological-disaster moths?

The sycamore moth is not an invasive species nor is it considered much of a pest on the larger scale (though it can certainly be destructive).

There are other species of tussock moths that are considered dangerous on a large scale (though tussock moths a usually very sensitive to biological pesticides, like several species of fungus and bacteria).
    The Douglas fir tussock moth, Gypsy moth, satin moth, nun moth, yellow-headed tussock... There are some 10-20 species in that family that will make orchard owners and foresters blanch (since an infestation can strip leaves/pines completely, and sometimes the bark as well).

However, none of them look like a "white sycamore moth", so I don't know where that particular idea came from.

• Options
    It was the gypsy moth I was thinking of because my brain was making bad leaps of deduction.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up, FR

Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Started seeing a few of these running around the office at work the last few days. Are these cockroaches, or something less gross that just wandered in? They're maybe 3/4 of an inch long. Best pic I could get because the little asshole wouldn't stand still very long.

xsauipnkts4z.jpg

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    That's not a cockroach, that's for sure.

It looks to be some kind of ground beetle in the family Carabidae.

My gut says it's a Black Clock Beetle - Pterostichus madidus, but I'd need a bit more information (location, for example, I think Black Clock Beetles are a UK thing) a better scale and a better picture of the antennae to be sure.

The eyes are a bit off as well, but it could just be the picture quality and angle.

EDIT: Could also be Harpalus pensylvanicus, if you're US-based.

Arch on
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    That's not a cockroach, that's for sure.

It looks to be some kind of ground beetle in the family Carabidae.

My gut says it's a Black Clock Beetle - Pterostichus madidus, but I'd need a bit more information (location, for example, I think Black Clock Beetles are a UK thing) a better scale and a better picture of the antennae to be sure.

The eyes are a bit off as well, but it could just be the picture quality and angle.

Oh sorry! Forgot location. I'm in Maine. Next one that visits, we'll try to corral it for a better pic. Just happy it's not a roach. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?