As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nioh: Onimusouls Action Available on Feb 7!

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Heatwave wrote: »
    I desperately need to Increase my stamina .

It feels like I’ve gotten so slow while dodging.

Also I’ve been trying to grind a bit before fighting Enenra (kept getting killed) near the last shrine, and I’ve noticed my grave will sometimes disappear upon revival. Am I too close to the shrine or something? It’s making getting more Amrita harder, as I’ll all of a sudden lose it all when the grave some show after I die

Check your equipment, especially your Spirit Guide and your accessories.

Do you have anything providing you with Auto-Grave Recovery? When you revive, you sometimes get your grave back, including all your amrita, so you shouldn't be losing anything. It's basically a free triggered Summoner's Candle.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Finally getting into this and wanted to do a magic build from the get go and I wanted to know if using a Weakness Talisman and attacking the weakened enemy gave me credit toward getting Onmyo Skill points.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Finally getting into this and wanted to do a magic build from the get go and I wanted to know if using a Weakness Talisman and attacking the weakened enemy gave me credit toward getting Onmyo Skill points.

I don't remember if you get free points by doing that or if it's just by finding hair locks but putting points in the magic stat will give you points to use and sloth talisman is laughably OP.

• Options
    Are we talking about Nioh 1 or 2?

Nioh 1 would give you skill points just for raising the Onmyo stat.

Nioh 2, yes. Casting an Onmyo spell gives credit as long it hits the target. Self buffs like a fire talisman (directly from the Onmyo skill that you ready in the Jutsu tab, and not the random items you find) work by giving you experience towards the skill as you deal damage to a target. A debuff like Weakness Talisman must hit the target and not miss to give some experience.

You'll get the most experience by using the elemental damage spells. The shots, the upgraded AoEs, the shikigamis, etc., along with an appropriately applied elemental weapon buff.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Holy shit Nioh 2 seems so much harder than the first. Maybe I don’t remember it well but it seemed like you got a bit more on boarding in the first. This one is just like, “you played the first right? Yes, no? Cool, the second enemy is literally a boss. And the fifth enemy is a psychotic monkey with a spear that will absolutely push your shit. Have fun.”

There are tons of new interesting mechanics too, like the burst counter. I love it... now that I understand how it’s supposed to work.

Anyway, I do like the game. But it seems a lot more vicious than the first.

The character creator is awesome though. Here’s my idiot guy, and yes I have him a bunch of stupid tattoos I’ll never see, but I know they are there and that makes me happy.

3t7qflxsb8yz.jpeg

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    I never finished the DLCs for the first game but by the time you get to the end of Nioh 2 and then for the NG+ run the difficulty falls off a cliff. There are *so* many ways to get ridiculously overpowered with every weapon.

I went all in on Magic my first run because I wanted to use the new Switchglaive which is amazing. It was pretty easy to get Untouched Onmyo and Onmyo Power on all my gear so while I had 7 of each of the elemental shots, I rarely actually ran out with all the free casts I was getting, and then I could mix and match set bonuses to either get a free Devigorate or a free Weakness debuff with every spellcast.

One cast of one shot was also an instant full effect of that elements status ailment unless the enemy was resistant to it, then it would take maybe two or three. Made it crazy easy to apply Confusion

Like, cast Water Shot and Lightning Shot and the enemy instantly has Slow from lightning, extra damage from water, extra damage from weakness, and extra damage from confusion.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I'm going for dual swords and kusarigama because it's a little different for me, especially the kusi; I loved spears in the first game. So I'm high skill with those two weapons and rifles, and I'm working on buffing my ninjutsu. Only level 25ish currently.

Snake boss is kicking my ass. Thing is, I know the phases well and what I need to do. So it's basically just my execution, which is frustrating. The real bastard is when she goes into the dark realm and her stupid snake arms come to life. I try to take them out first but big momma either gets in the way or I lose track of her and she comes over and pushes my poop in from out of nowhere.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    You can kill the arms before you push a Dark Realm shift. Just wait around until she sticks them both in the ground then run up and attack her arms specifically. Try to get them both at once because when you get rid of one, she stops doing that move.

Viskod on
  • Options
    Yeah, I know, I just usually get her ki down to zero before I kill them both. Usually I can kill one and get the pretty low but it's tough to lock onto the little ones and they're pretty good at dodging kunai.

I'm like... so close to beating her, I can feel it. It's just that whole being bad at video games thing.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I couldn’t do it. I had to summon someone. I feel like such a failure. I threw myself at that snake for two fucking hours. So many times I’d get her to 20%, 15%, 10% health, and then just one little goddamn mistake and it would be over. Edit: and she’s the SECOND boss.

I don’t remember ever having this much trouble with any boss in Dark Souls or Bloodborne. Hell I don’t remember NIOH being this punishing. Maybe my memory is bad? Maybe I just don’t have the dexterity for this game? It was never that good but I’m almost 37 and that stuff starts to degrade well before that.

It’s frustrating. I like the game. I see the patterns and no what I need to do. And then I just can’t execute.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    you said you're using kunai

are you running a light ninja set? light armor in nioh is incredibly punishing to use. you take a bunch more damage and get no poise whatsoever

going for 200 toughness makes a massive difference

• Options
    Yeah I’m using light armor with ninjutsu bonuses. I’ve honestly been thinking with the dark souls mindset that the difference between light and heavier armor is negligible, and rolling and iFrames are more important. I don’t think I realized, or forgot, that heavier armor is the way to go.

I’ve been heavily focused on Dexterity and Skill because I’m using dual swords/kusarigama. Something different for me. Maybe I need to respec and get some strength and stamina to wear heavier sets without being slowed?

• Options
    edited June 2020
    it's an option. if you're married to using kunai you'll want to stick to using light sets with ninjitsu bonuses but if you're primarily doing melee combat i would consider switching to at least a medium set (200 toughness is the threshold to shoot for; under that and you're not benefiting from it)

light sets are great for avoiding hits via dodging or spacing (particularly spacing since the run speed is probably the biggest mobility advantage), but it really tanks your ability to block or take a hit, so you really need to be 100% on point with evasion

it's a lot easier to use on ranged builds, obviously

Elendil on
  • Options
    I wanted to try something a little different since I used onmyo, spears and sword in the first game. But maybe that’s just not a great style for me. Which sucks a little because I’ve become a big fan of the kusarigama. It can be a bit tricky but it has some ridiculously powerful moves. As I’m sure folks here already know.

• Options
    you can still run dual swords or kusarigama on a heavier set. master swordsman set is easily the best dual sword one and it's heavy as fuck

kusarigama might be a little more awkward until you can start building something like the one eyed dragon set

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I honestly found kusarigama and dual swords to be real slow killing weapon types, even in high stance.

Kusarigama has a few particularly good moves that deal a lot of damage, but you have to be real close up to get in those multitudes of hits and a lot of times the enemy would get pushed out of the way of the chain and you'd be stuck in this long recovery phase.

As part of the platinum trophy, because it forces you to get 120,000 familiarity with all weapons, I found tonfa (high stance) to be absolutely monstrous with damage. Like, one good round of hits could knock out Yoki and even big chonky boys like the Waira were trivial under all the damage output. And tonfa has such good forward mobility.

I committed my game to switchglaive and onmyo magic, but tonfa made me consider respecing hard and building a set for it.

El Fantastico on

• Options
    You should have Ninjitsu Power and Shuriken and Kunai damage tempered to as much gear as you can and keep an eye out for a Fan accessory as those can have +Ninjitsu Power & Untouched Ninjitsu as well as +Kunai damage. Also if using Ninjitsu get Kunai but focus on the left hand side of the skill tree to get the various feather skills maxed out asap.

Other stuff to temper would be +High Attack Damage and -High Attack Ki Consumption for Cherry Blossom with the Dual Swords and same for whatever stance you have Reaper set to for the Kusarigama.

• Options
    Viskod wrote: »
    You should have Ninjitsu Power and Shuriken and Kunai damage tempered to as much gear as you can and keep an eye out for a Fan accessory as those can have +Ninjitsu Power & Untouched Ninjitsu as well as +Kunai damage. Also if using Ninjitsu get Kunai but focus on the left hand side of the skill tree to get the various feather skills maxed out asap.

Other stuff to temper would be +High Attack Damage and -High Attack Ki Consumption for Cherry Blossom with the Dual Swords and same for whatever stance you have Reaper set to for the Kusarigama.

This is helpful, thanks. A lot of holdovers from the first game (except I was more focused on onmyo), but same kinds of % stacking. It’s been a while, and there’s just enough new stuff that I’m not sure what I need to relearn.

In other news, Yoshimoto was a total chump. I banged my head against Kami for so long and then killed Yoshi in 3 tries. A bit of difficulty whiplash there.

Oh well. I’ve heard Kami makes another appearance at some point, so hopefully I can redeem myself.

• Options
    The same thing happened for me. That big snake was this ridiculous of the blue roadblock in a way no other boss turned out to be. You'll get a chance to fight it again in a late game main mission and a few side missions.

There's a trophy for killing it without destroying any of the statues.

• Options
    I just had a weird bug I guess?

I just finished the mission a hot blooded howl and at the end I got a mortal soul core from the boss. When I got back to the starting area I went to click on the core because I’d never seen one. When I clicked on it, the game froze. None of my inputs worked except to go back to the ps menu. So I had to restart the game. When I got back it had registered that I’d completed the mission but the mortal soul core was just not in my inventory.

• Options
    That's definitely a one-off bug.

Mortal soul cores are statless, but they are good for two things.
    - Boosting the other soul core's level in a fusion
    - Making the other soul core match the mortal core's type (brute, feral, phantom)

Basically mortal cores can come as any of the 3 types, and you can convert a yokai core (such as Enki which is normally brute) into feral or phantom if you fuse it with the appropriate mortal soul.

Useful to make your yokai abilities get the type bonus from your spirit it's attached to.

• Options
    Is it a big deal that it vanished? Should I try and do the mission again to grab it?

• Options
    nah, it's not that important

i never bothered using a mortal core until like, post-post game optimization

• Options
    By the time you finish the main game, you'll have probably earned a dozen of them. They're not uncommon but only really useful when you aren't swapping sets of gear or still earning new abilities. They're best used when you're ready to settle on a final playstyle.

• Options
    Got into a good groove with the game. I finally have some debuffs and enough skills that I can tear through most yokai. Lots of poison, water and fire damage. I'm pretty comfortable just taking things out at range and cleaning up the mess. Beat Tatarimokke in a few tries, just to get comfortable with everything. It never really felt impossible. Honestly, no boss has felt like that except yatsu no kami. I haven't faced her the second time yet so I guess we'll see how that goes. Whenever I die it's because I got greedy or misjudged an enemy combo or timing. It's just that early game that feels super punishing.

I've settled on a dex/skill build, lots of ninjutsu, sign of the cross and water sword when things need to be cleaned up. Very comfortable with the kusarigama as the secondary weapon, and it does tons of ki damage. Reaper and the Block+Triangle High Stance attack are awesome.

Glad to finally feel comfortable with the game.

• Options
    Parries in this game are so finnicky. All the various ki pulse moves feel so good and are so intuitive. Each parry skill behaves by its own rules. Some work on everything, others only humans. The timing seems different on each of them.

These games do soooo much right, in particular a lot of the systems are so cohesive with a lot of "easy to learn, difficult to master" depth. The parry skills are so good and look so flashy, but because they feel like outliers of the rrest of the systems that don't feel worth using, and trying to learn them in any situation other than the dojo just gets me killed.

• Options
    My two end game builds I'm working on. Not even completely optimized yet but they feel super fun to play and do tons of damage. May keep grinding out a little but the DLC is around the corner so it's probably not worth going too hard.

https://youtu.be/rrgwgrn9Q_A

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Reminds me that I never got through Nioh 2 and I think fell off halfway through.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    I’ve been having a ton of fun with it, but it’s the kinda game that pushes all the right buttons for me.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I just got Nioh 2 and I suck at it beyond the telling. I'm getting regularly killed by scrub enemies and forget even trying the Oni. Did they change something about the combat? Dodging especially seems really weird.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I just got Nioh 2 and I suck at it beyond the telling. I'm getting regularly killed by scrub enemies and forget even trying the Oni. Did they change something about the combat? Dodging especially seems really weird.

The beginning feels way more brutal than the first one. I had the same issues. But once you get some skills and equipment under your belt it gets a lot better. You’ll probably still die a bunch but the margin for error gets noticeably wider.

Also came here to post that the DLC dropped less than 12 hours ago and every boss is spoiled on YouTube lol.

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    I totally missed that the DLC released, time to jump back in!

The original was fairly brutal at the start as well, the tipping point is learning the timing for Yokai Counters. Counters are really really cheap to use, and only a few weapon hits give you enough Anima to counter. There are also some skills that are much better than others in each tree, I don't really remember them that well. The game also gets much easier once you have a bunch of prestige points in Anima and Anima Charge.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    EDIT: Real patch notes:

I also found a writeup of patch notes, here are some highlights:

-New difficulty, Dream of the Demon, with better loot and higher + maximums
    -New weapon type (selectable from the start), abilities of all types, armor, gestures, titles, etc
    -More character creation options (hair, face/body markings, bathing options)
    -Inventory size 500 -> 600
    -Consumables auto refresh when dying or resting
    -Kodama Bazaar items can be marked for automatic purchase (storehouse takes priority)
    -Refashion preview
    -Soul Cores can be sorted by attunement cost
    -Tea Utensils have auto prioritization options (e.g. highest Splendor)
    -More Photo Mode options
    -Vast increase in the effectiveness of Yokai Shift, including: Reduced YS gauge cost for attacks and abliities, increased YS gauge gain when using heavy attacks in YS, YAs charge faster in YS, Dodging as a Feral in YS generates Amrita, YS gauge does not decrease during the cast time
    -GS do more damage
    -YAs no longer take on the damage type of the weapon equipped (slashing, blunt, etc.)
    -Various skills now count as "Rush" attacks
    -Damage vs poisoned enemies nerfed (RIP speedrunners)
    -Buffs and debuffs now adjust your attack power multiplier rather than adjusting your attack power (I believe this is a nerf to YA damage since they are based on attack power, this also means certain types of buffs are additive instead of multiplicative)
    -Item/Equipment drop rate in YS abilities buffed
    -Many clan allegiance perks have been buffed
    -Better inventory sorting (items auto-grouped into stackables, unstackables, and favorites)
    -Fire Oni-Bi core appears at the right place in the Soul Core menu

Xagar on
  • Options
    Kinda expected the poison hit. Not surprising, it was crazy. A bit surprised not to see a paralysis hit though, that’s also stupid good.

• Options
    tengen and honda clan got hit hard, too i think.

not sure what anyone expected. they were 30% boosts in a game full of 6-8% boosts.

• Options
    For sure. I'm a big fan of the Yokai form buff though. Opens up a lot of new build possibilities.

• Options
    I'm really excited for this expansion but also new zones stress me out. I am sooo cautious lol.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Ok Dodge changed, yes? I either have to be guarding or press X twice to Dodge now, wasn't it just one press before or am I thinking of all the other souls games?

• Options
    The DLC boss in Dream of the Demon was pretty ridiculous to beat, he just has so much HP and Ki, and he's immune to elements except Purity/Corruption which means my usual strategy of confusion into grapple can't happen. I actually had to pop Herbal Remedies to finish him off safely.

• Options
    i'm unsure if this is widely known - i had no idea - but it's possibly to reroll accessories via large sudamas by the same method you use to reroll soul cores. drop two of them, the sudama will pick both up and then redrop the first with rerolled stats on it.

this is a huge deal because the new update added a bunch of really strong star effects on accessories that would otherwise only be attainable by randomly finding one out in the wild, which obviously in the case of a yasakani or a set bonus accessory is a real long shot. now you can save at a shrine, reroll the accessory to see if it picks up anything good and if not just reload and try again.

in related news i got a goddamn 170+9 yasakani with melee vs. zero-ki enemies and a 170+8 toshiie's from a couple runs at scrolls, which what the fuck

gonna try rerolling saturation damage on the toshiie since my spear set is a water build