As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Battle Forge is here

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »
    All the running mini's I've built that are posed on a single toe of one foot that I've had to lean against stuff while glue dries.... From building this kit, I'm totally cool if GW wants to at pegs to the bottoms of feet on every mini they make so they lock into the bases.

Oh man... I had based all of my previous Primaris stuff on Sector Mechanicus bases, so the Intercessors were a pain to lean while drying on their new bases. That's a personal problem, not an issue with the kit. I immediately started drilling pin holes up through the bases into the toes so I can at least put a brass rod in there to secure the toesies a little more.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    What product do most people pin with? I picked up a creature caster lord of slaughter and some of the bits look like pinning would be a benefit.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    I am guessing the wise players here will tell me that a 285 point, 16 wound vehicle, with a 2+ save (no invuln :( ), two twin lascannons, a twin heavy bolter, T8, with the ability to transport 10 Death Guard infantry or 5 terminators, AND Disgustingly Resilient for 2 CP is bad for the points. I am sure they will say this.

I'm going to do it anyways as I love Land Raiders.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    What product do most people pin with? I picked up a creature caster lord of slaughter and some of the bits look like pinning would be a benefit.

paper clips

• Options
    NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    I just use brass head pins from Michael's. A 2" pin provides plenty of material for a bunch of pinning and the brass is easy to work with. I wouldn't recommend using the brass pins for supporting heavy pieces or anything, but as additional help keeping something glued together, they work like champs.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Has anyone played around with Crusade lists yet? I read over the rules today and it seems like a really interesting way to build an army.

I'm looking at this list presently
    Space wolves
    1rp - Warlord trait (undetermined)
    1rp - Relic (armor of russ)
    2rp - Increase supply limit x2

60PL limit
    Wolf lord with jump pack, thunder hammer, storm shield
    Wolf guard battle leader, jump pack, thunder hammer, storm shield
    Wolf priest, jump pack, power fist, canticle of hate, armor of russ, undetermined saga... probably hunter
    10 man Assault Intercessor Squad
    10 man Infiltrator squad
    2 x 3-man bladeguard veteran squads
    Eradicator squad
    Fenrisian wolves
    Impulsor with shield dome, storm bolters, heavy stubber.

Playing at 50pl to start the campaign that gives me HQ's + bladeguards in impulsor for a hammer/anvil, Wolves to steal objectives (and also because I had 2PL left over), Eradicators for some heavy shooting, and either the assault intercessors or infiltrators at 10pl each to round out the list. Infiltrators for early pressure on objectives or assault intercessors because they're new and cool. It also leaves me with 1RP to do something with. I'm tempted to use it to make the intercessors veteran intercessors for the extra swings with the new chainswords, though I'm not sure if you can make them vets yet.

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »
    So all of my doomsday arks had the gauss flayers upside. I only built one of them, the other two were off of ebay. I tried to fix it but it was a pain and things broke so I said fuck it and cut all of the gauss flayers off cause fuck that nonsense and I really disliked the upside down look.

What I am gonna do is try to see if I can find any where that sells acrylic rods at varying lengths at the right diameter and slide those into the sides so there aren't just empty holes there.

Anyone know of a place that I might be able to find something like that at?

Plastruct sells fluorescent colored acrylic rod in a variety of diameters, but you'll neet to cut them down to the lengths you need and polish them after cutting. There are likewise sellers on eBay, but you run into the same problem. How deep are the holes?

I found some rods on plastruct that should work. The hole is about 5mm in diameter and the rods I found are 4mm in diameter. The holes them selves are about 2mm deep and I'll be able to put 1 long rod through the holes on the ribs of the ark.

I think this will be a lot nicer than having the Gauss flayers on there. If I ever buy ghost arks I'll probably do the same though I don't really ever run Warriors so that might never happen.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

I get brass rod from art shops or hobby stores as it comes in defined sizes and you can get a size for nearly any job. Also those sets of HSS drills that are every size between 0.3 and 1.6 mm in 0.05 increments. Should cover every eventuality.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    I am guessing the wise players here will tell me that a 285 point, 16 wound vehicle, with a 2+ save (no invuln :( ), two twin lascannons, a twin heavy bolter, T8, with the ability to transport 10 Death Guard infantry or 5 terminators, AND Disgustingly Resilient for 2 CP is bad for the points. I am sure they will say this.

As someone who runs Repulsor Executioners, at around the same point cost, I won't tell you that. If anything they've only gotten better in 9th. The ability to shoot in combat is a MASSIVE buff. I think Land Raiders are completely usable now.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Bizazedo wrote: »

As someone who runs Repulsor Executioners, at around the same point cost, I won't tell you that. If anything they've only gotten better in 9th. The ability to shoot in combat is a MASSIVE buff. I think Land Raiders are completely usable now.

Normal landraiders are still kind of butts. Mostly because the load out isn't amazing.

Landraider Crusaders? Fucking amazing.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I just meant Land Raiders in the most general of senses, as in they are not completely pointless point spends now...but yes, the Crusader loadout is ridiculous with the new rules.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    I just meant Land Raiders in the most general of senses, as in they are not completely pointless point spends now...but yes, the Crusader loadout is ridiculous with the new rules.

Crusaders and Redeemers are just amazing. Charge them in. And let them lockdown and kill things.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    The game I played yesterday with hellbrutes, a dread and a dreadknight… it's a notably different game having walkers and vehicles shooting in combat. It really changes the dynamic of how you can use them.

I'm actually tempted to get a landraider for my Space wolves, seeing how much damage you can put out in a close combat shooting phase. The -1 to hit on heavy weapons and no blast weapons seems to be pretty well balanced as well.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Dreadnoughts are really good now. I need to finish painting my Redemptor. He got put on the shelf when I realized how kind of not great Dreadnoughts were in 8th, but with the shoot-in-combat rules I think the Redemptor is really quite good now.

• Options
    I sidelined my redemptor so hard I forgot I owned one... might have to dig it out.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Dreadnoughts are really good now. I need to finish painting my Redemptor. He got put on the shelf when I realized how kind of not great Dreadnoughts were in 8th, but with the shoot-in-combat rules I think the Redemptor is really quite good now.

I want one for my deathwatch.

But they are on ice till the new mega-codex for all Space Marines comes out.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I've been working on making a 9th edition version of my Oops All Dreadnoughts Space Wolves list.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    I got the pre order bonus even though my online order didn't show I was getting it. The object markers have like a see through white film on them so I'm assuming I gotta peel that off though I'm not sure since I've never got something like this from GW.

lqihxj2n88mk.jpeg

• Options
    Stragint wrote: »
    I got the pre order bonus even though my online order didn't show I was getting it. The object markers have like a see through white film on them so I'm assuming I gotta peel that off though I'm not sure since I've never got something like this from GW.

lqihxj2n88mk.jpeg

I also got my pre-order bonus, though it didn't show at the checkout. Pretty stoked

And yes, the white bit peels off both sides, just be careful you don't damage the marker decal underneath

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    As Khraul said the white is just a protective coating for transport.
    I found the shiny side a little harder to peel but nothing terrible.
    You should have numbers on one side and the new logo on the other.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    I peeled them and made sure not to mess up. Pretty cool that they came in, I really wasn't expecting them. Thank you both for the advice on the markers!

I'm starting to waffle on my Necron paint scheme again. Not so sure about doing a multi dynasty thing anymore since it might end up looking really messy.

Thinking up a paint scheme really sucks. I also have like 36 orange and 36 blue neon acrylic tubes that are sized to Necron warrior Gauss flayers that I bought like 2 years ago and I want to make use of them.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I once had the idea of having like my normal silver / white / blue Necrons, but anything that was specifically Triarch would be purple / its own scheme, since the Triarch are not part of the dynasty, they're technically supposed to oversee everyone.

Szarekh getting his own dynasty technically torpedoed that, but I still liked the idea.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    I know I keep talking about it as the German blog that much of the info about the painting guides had ISBNs for 3 new books as two of them were the Craftworlds and one was a Necron
    I feel it is two pictures in the necron codex
    One is the Novokh Dynasty with in the bottom corner a custom overlord
    The other is the Nihilakh Dynasty as there is a custom overlord on a command barge

I am just going to paint my necrons as the Sautekh Dynasty since it's the generic look and not a red paint bases army [Saim Hann, Kabal of the Flayed Skull, Kraken. if I felt like resurrecting my word bearers}
    I am curious what the Szarekh thinks of Imotekh

I still feel they should still do the paint guides as the harlequin one is a thing of gold

• Options
    Another discussion my brother and I have gotten into is building the model and what options you can pick
    As I am debating about putting gauss or teslas on my tomb blades and either making my doom scythe or night scythe. As the debate is what you feel as you build it might work but might not after a few games

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    The Scythe should be very easy to magnetize

• Options
    The Scythe should be very easy to magnetize

I have not built it because work is soul breaking/draining and I was thinking about how to store various things

• Options
    Finished building all but the reanimator of my first set on Indomitus Necrons. Gonna sub assemble the reanimator because of the orbs on the body that end up being hard to paint if fully painted.

I like the poses the Warriors have, looks really nice.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Aside from monsters getting to shoot in melee, can anyone tell me how Tyranids aren't just bad now?

I'm having the most petty crisis rn

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Rumours are saying Tyranids will be getting a codex pretty quickly so I guess they know they’ve got issues in 9th.

Or I’m pretty sure I saw some rumours.

But yeah Tyranids are in a bad place.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    PerduraboPerdurabo Registered User regular
    With the release of the codex for SM and Necrons at the same time, coinciding with a collectors box, I'd love if they continued that format (each wave is 2 codexes and a collectors box with both forces). Lets them tell a specific story around a battle between two forces, good way to get lots of people interested in new factions etc.

So I started collecting Word Bearers in preparation for 9th, having not played 40k since 5th. To get a better sense of them I read the First Heretic and it gave me an idea for what my crusade force will be - they have yet to be entrusted with the "gift" from the neverborn, so I don't have access to any Daemon forces at all. So my 50PL is made up of chaos space marines, havocs, raptors, a chaos lord and a chaos sorceror. I have 3 5 man squads of CSM, one geared up for close combat. At some point in our campaign there will be a mission where I'm trying to get access to a forbidden tome, or a gateway or something, that will allow my units to receive the gift, at which point my close combat CSM will mutate into possessed, The raptors into warp talons etc. There's no real mechanism for this in the game, the best I could do is delete the units and then buy new possessed, new raptors. But they won't carry over the experience, and war wounds. What should the cost be for carrying this over? A requisition point? More? I'm definitely not trying to game it (say hello raptors!!), but I want those units to carry over their storied histories over many battles.

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Rumours are saying Tyranids will be getting a codex pretty quickly so I guess they know they’ve got issues in 9th.

There was a video making fun of how some of the Basic troop sets are old enough to drink {craftworld and orks} But they were making fun of the Tyranids needed some love as they have had nothing new since 2012? He more ranted about the Broodlord taking two years to be sold outside of a box
    But I do wonder what they would get that would be new and different

I am kind of debating about picking up the other PA books {Faith n Fury and Saga of the Beast} As I know one of the rules will be in the new SM codex
    But the other books I am also debating about since pariah was in the group I wanted to get the rest were ranked with the Tau one being last

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    But they were making fun of the Tyranids needed some love as they have had nothing new since 2012?

?

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Perdurabo wrote: »
    With the release of the codex for SM and Necrons at the same time, coinciding with a collectors box, I'd love if they continued that format (each wave is 2 codexes and a collectors box with both forces). Lets them tell a specific story around a battle between two forces, good way to get lots of people interested in new factions etc.

After Blood of the Phoenix I'd suggest that this is some serious monkey's paw territory

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    GW just hates elves Burnage.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

There was a video making fun of how some of the Basic troop sets are old enough to drink {craftworld and orks} But they were making fun of the Tyranids needed some love as they have had nothing new since 2012? He more ranted about the Broodlord taking two years to be sold outside of a box
    But I do wonder what they would get that would be new and different

They got Exocrines/Haruspexes, Malceptors/Toxicrenes, Tyrannicytes/Sporocysts in 2014.

Granted that’s still 6 years without a new release that’s not converting resin to plastic, unless I’m missing something.

As for what they could add, I’ll again bring up the Dactylis and Malefactor, the last of the biotanks from Epic. Dactylis were like Guard Basilisks, and Malefactors were transports.

Or a Dominatrix Lord of War. Shrink it to about Knight size, make it a massively powerful psyker.

They could do a Lictor/Shrike box, so we finally get official winged Warriors. Throw in Deathleaper parts too.

• Options
    But they were making fun of the Tyranids needed some love as they have had nothing new since 2012?

?

I don't know as he was ranting about the state of the tyranids but spent most of the rant talking about Genestealers in overkill and in Tooth n Claw , The broodlord kit out of a certain box taking two years to come out
    It was how the Necron warrior kit disappeared had him talk about what needed a update as he talked about the age of all the basic troops. In an add on video for nearly 3 hours he goes though each model and talks about what needs an update {I feel he is wrong as the warp spiders do need a update} As he wants orks that don't look like they are taking a dump. He used the change from the release Dark eldar kabal troops to the newer the difference between them and such as why the guardian kit for Craftworlders needs to be redone
    He had other sideline rants about the Imperial guard and Grey knights and how they needed some love

• Options
    Also I am seeing a lot of destroyer lords and doomsday arks on ebay either people have a heads up about something or?

• Options
    While agonizing over my Necrons paint scheme and building the next 20 warriors I was thinking about how it would be nice if theh kept the old Necron warrior model around with updated poses. Since they aren't battle damaged they'd be nice for representing a more pristine army while the new ones are great for beat up warriors.

I do like a lot of the small details on the new warriors though, they are pretty nice. Since I already have 80 gauss Flayer Warriors these 60 from Indomitus are getting the reapers and they look pretty cool.

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    This is a case of Art imitates Life as militaries around the world similarly complain about how old and outdated their equipment is.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    This is a case of Art imitates Life as militaries around the world similarly complain about how old and outdated their equipment is.

Some our boys overseas are still made from older resin kits

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg