As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Top Grand Gear Tour Thread: Diddly Squat Farm now open for Season 2

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    I mean I suspect the buckets of money help quite a lot with that

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    I mean I suspect the buckets of money help quite a lot with that

I hear that, but...i dont know. Certain things are beyond that i'd think.

I'd suspect its more decades of experience being in front of cameras and putting on a face. Or good editing.
    Probably both

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Plus it's not like they actually had to find a boat to buy right that minute. All that and the route were planned out in advance. In addition, they can use the camera crews for help and for certain those crews are in touch with everyone they need to be.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Plus it's not like they actually had to find a boat to buy right that minute. All that and the route were planned out in advance. In addition, they can use the camera crews for help and for certain those crews are in touch with everyone they need to be.

Generally yes, but in this case even the camera/emergency boat was in deep shit (looked worse than the trio's boats)
    Sorta the same vibe as Argentina where is stopped being a show and turned into a documentary

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »

Imagine a Top Gear version where it would have been "the producers gave us each £250 to buy a river boat with...".

It wouldn't be "I'm going to get a brand new PBR built specially, and at extraordinary expense".

• Options
    I miss the cheap car challenges.

• Options
    VishNub wrote: »
    I miss the cheap car challenges.

It was fitting that their last two Top Gear films were both of that ilk. Especially the SUV one.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    They have the budget now, I would really like a combination of them building their own car.....from a factory assembly plant. You could easily make it a three part special over the course of a year in terms of building, tweeking, and a journey in some country. I just imagine Clarkson in the vacuum room where the GTR is made and just doing something that completely screws up his the turbo or Wrecking Ball nibbling on the wood of his Morgan causing a split at one point or James building a Fiat Panda and it's still not done a year later because he couldn't find the correct socket wrench.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    When is the next special?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    James' Japan show premiered today, six kawaii episodes desu.

He's going from North to South so the first episode is Hokkaido, and for the most part he's doing new things compared to usual travel shows (dogsled, snowball fight league, actual samurai sword apprentice stuff so he can master three-sword style, he got snowed out of a Ban'ei race it seems), but it does look like there's some of the same claptrap all travel shows do in Japan like they're going to show that penis festival and wacky vending machines and haikus (but he is spot on in regards to the restaurant vending machines it's the only time when I was there I felt genuine confusion and unable to do things). But overall it's fun and pretty snow landscapes and doesn't largely feel scripted. I wanna go back.

"What are you doing? It's terrible. Don't let me down."

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Watched the first episode.
    I don't get why he struggled so much with the restaurant vending machine. Just take out your smart-phone and point it at the machine for a real-time translation.

James is the very definition of 'LOL Ok Boomer in Japan'.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I don't get why he struggled so much with the restaurant vending machine. Just take out your smart-phone and point it at the machine for a real-time translation.

Have translating Japanese with that app before? It's not very accurate and screens tend to throw it for a loop.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    hey Bim, guess what?

Just finished watching the series and it was great. Pure James May Bim, James Maying Bimming all over Japan.
    It's funny seeing all the arguing between James and the crew, I mean when you planned to have him try to assemble something how did you not expect it to turn in to an hour of incompetent pedanticism? I mean have you even met Bim?

Yujiro as the unofficial co-host was also great. That guy's perfect to counterbalance Bim.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Have translating Japanese with that app before? It's not very accurate and screens tend to throw it for a loop.

Very much so. I struggled with that a lot when I was there in May. The app would get the basic idea, but if the item, sign, or whatever had a lot of kanji or hiragana it would get very confused.

The show is very fun though. It reminds me a lot of my trip in May where I did a mix of cultural things and off the beaten path experiences.

Top Gear's Nepal Special aired about a week ago. I haven't finish it yet but what I've seen has been pretty good.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    How dare they tease us with a clip of Bim nerding out about woodworking, but not showing us the actual clip.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    James may does an unofficial sequel to Toy Stories

https://youtu.be/y19b0KCFiVc

Heres hoping man lab is next

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    That was a very entertaining video, but whoever edited that video should probably be reminded that background music should be in the background when there's dialogue

• Options
    Aw shit the Carpentry scene is released

As well as several others, just god damn that carpentry scene.

• Options
    Finally finished Man In Japan, and it was overall good but it did feel frontloaded, and by the last episode either the trip or the production crew was getting to Bim. The weird spat in episode 4 with Mt. Fuji seemed both unnecessary and scripted and making fun of the kawaii mascots really felt like Bim needed a slap upside the head. It is a dog that's also a lemon, you cherish them!

For an 11 week stay, they could have easily padded out the show to more episodes because there were things I wanted to see more of like the empty town or maybe some more WWII stuff like the brief stuff we saw in Hiroshima, and I am dumbstruck that they didn't even include an Okinawa episode or actually hike Mt. Fuji. Even something like those weird North Korean propaganda schools in the country that the Norks pay for would be interesting.

I'd love to see more beyond X-Ray type things, maybe have Wrecking Ball or Clarkson do their own version. Hell, I really enjoyed all the translators helping out, make them all team up and do a bit more in depth tour guide type show.

Ambitious, not rubbish, but not as peak class as say the GTR vs Bullet Train episode of Top Gear

• Options
    John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    Hammond and May make poached eggs. Hammond makes a few on-point observations about why on earth people watch this. Needless to say, I watched all of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78VNNEnEzMg

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Its kind of clear that towards the middle some of their planned events were cancelled and they had to scramble a bit in places to get content

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Fuck that director for trying to rush James screwing around with the piano wires! He's severely misjudged the audience that watches James May.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Wow the James May show was legit really good.

Me and the gf are going to Japan in March so it was fun especially for her since she has never been there to get extra excited.

James May by himself just being James May is really damn entertaining.

Although it was weird that the Kyoto episode felt kind of lacking.

Kyoto has a lot of very interesting stuff and I feel like a lot of stuff that May would enjoy but somehow ended up being one of the weaker episodes.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I felt like there was a fair bit of producer aggravation in the show. There's at least two sequences where the producer is fighting with May over something and May just goes "whatever, I'm going to do what I want anyway".

Unless it's some sort of scripted thing, I'm betting this producer just doesn't "get" May.

• Options
    There was definitely some scripting/hamming it up by both May and the crew, but I suspect they were also genuinely less fascinated by piano stringing than he was.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Also May is crotchety. Hell he was crotchety 20 years ago, and it's just gotten worse. He's going to butt heads with anybody if he wants his way.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    See the problem is with the way they approached filming him, they went with the default travel show which is go to a place film a segment and leave, which doesn't work with James because he'll just wander around, take his time, go off script etc. The way they should have filled it is like a nature documentary. Have cameras follow him around at a distance for days if need be and then edit the good parts together with a David Attenborough V.O.

• Options
    Watching a Top Gear: Top Fails in the UK. They showed the sequence from the US Special where they had the slogans (Hillary for President, Country & Western is Rubbish, Man-Love Rules OK, I'm Bi, NASCAR Sucks etc) painted on their cars and drove through Alabama, and almost got themselves killed. That had to be the scariest moment, at least this side of the end of the Patagonia Special.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Watching a Top Gear: Top Fails in the UK. They showed the sequence from the US Special where they had the slogans (Hillary for President, Country & Western is Rubbish, Man-Love Rules OK, I'm Bi, NASCAR Sucks etc) painted on their cars and drove through Alabama, and almost got themselves killed. That had to be the scariest moment, at least this side of the end of the Patagonia Special.
    Is there a good place to catch up on the old episodes? I missed... basically all of them, only started really watching with Grand Tour.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Only place I can find is https://www.motortrendondemand.com/show/top-gear/524/ which requires a subscription, however a lot of the fun bits (challenges, races, specials) are available on youtube as shorter clips last time I looked

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Jazz wrote: »
    Is there a good place to catch up on the old episodes? I missed... basically all of them, only started really watching with Grand Tour.

Doesn't Amazon Prime have them?

• Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Amazon prime has a few seasons free with prime (right now I think it's like 2-7 or so); there's a couple other things that are free as well (ex Top Gear: ambitious but rubbish https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B00OH8QPGY/ref=atv_hm_hom_1_c_iEgOEZ_2_3 which has a large number of the challenges)

Prime has the entire thing for purchase; I've bought most of the specials and a few assorted others at this point

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Does anyone remember which cheap car challenge had a test where they had to brake before hitting a cement wall, but James' car's brakes kept failing during earlier tests, so as his turn starts, he begins calmly saying his farewells. It was dark and dry and I just about busted a gut at his delivery, but I've not been able to find that clip nor remember which episode it was.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Was it cement or was it brick? I vaguely recall Jeremy going through a brick wall when they were driving big rigs. I don't recall what Hammond or May did though.

• Options
    One did a wall of 5 gallon water jugs and the other did the "Top Gear Production Office"

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    That's right, I remember that now.

Well, I'm all out of ideas. Goodnight everyone! 👋

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I don't believe it was the big rig challenge. It was some kind of vintage cars, IIRC. I wanna say it was sometime early on, like during the first half of their tenure.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Sure it was a wall? Pretty sure the U.S. special had a brake test where failure meant driving into a swamp full of gators.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Sure it was a wall? Pretty sure the U.S. special had a brake test where failure meant driving into a swamp full of gators.

And May knew his brakes were bad in that one too

They've driven into stuff on these challenges like this and May absolutely knows he's crashing in this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2FKIHWoVfM

• Options
    steam_sig.png