As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Painting Thread a retrospective

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I served with Goblin Green. I knew Goblin Green. Goblin Green was a friend of mine. That's no Goblin Green.

Looks almost like scorpion green.

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    I served with Goblin Green. I knew Goblin Green. Goblin Green was a friend of mine. That's no Goblin Green.

Looks almost like scorpion green.

It's Moot Green because I don't have Goblin Green or an equivalent.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Can't really find any videos on it but is it easy to get the GW varnish through an airbrush?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Oh hey, my Greenstuff World order came in. I guess that'll force my hand on maybe using paints again ... maybe. >_>

Man, I really hope you all just enjoy my company, because at this point I'm definitely pursuing all my hobbies that aren't miniatures/models on a far more regular basis. I picked up a fountain pen last weekend and have just been writing random words in a book daily. Apparently that's my new therapy - trying to make nicer lines with a pen. :P
    ... but seriously fountain pens are really cool.

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    As a lefty, I just gotta take your word for it.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    I got super into calligraphy for a bit back in the early-mid 90s. I often think about picking up some pens again as it was super theraputic.

@J also a lefty. Git gud son

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Also a lefty

One of us, one of us, one of us......

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    *raises left hand*

This is on topic, right?

website_header.jpg
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    It seems this thread has taken a...sinister turn.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Put some paint on some warriors. Still lots to do, but I’m happy with the look of the armour.

qOo6q05.jpg

• pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    Huh, I'm also left-handed... This is actually kind of weird considering how statistically rare we're supposed to be

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    pardzh wrote: »
    Huh, I'm also left-handed... This is actually kind of weird considering how statistically rare we're supposed to be

Lefty here too, and one of the ladies who plays D&D with me is a lefty as well. During Prom I went on a double date and 3 out of 4 of us were lefties, and when I worked on a commercial printing press 3 out of 4 of us on shift were lefties too. The one righty hated that.

I wonder if Lefties gravitate towards each other. Maybe there is some subconscious body language. We might pick up on the ink smudge on the palm without realizing it.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    After sitting on my shelf basecoated and washed, I'm finally getting around to highlighting my marines!

Intercessor Squad
    retromarines_intercessor_turn.gif
    retromarines_intercessors01.jpg
    retromarines_intercessors01_back.jpg

Hellblaster
    retromarines_hellblaster_turn.gif
    retromarines_hellblaster01.jpg

Aggressor:
    I'm not a fan of the big bullet mittens, so I replaced his arms with Tartaros Terminator arms.
    retromarines_aggressor_turn.gif
    retromarines_aggressor01.jpg

And bonus tagalong, my Ordo Xenos Inquisitor, who's sanctioning the whole Explorator Fleet.
    The model is a Necromunda Van Saar with a Palanite Enforcer revolver.
    retromarines_inquisitor_turn.gif
    retromarines_inquisitor01.jpg
    He's very smol next to his bodyguards.
    retromarines_inquisitor02.jpg

website_header.jpg
    I'm a big fan of the term "Bullet mittens"

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    @McGibs I love-hate every post you make. Your conversions and paint jobs are always so good!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »
    After sitting on my shelf basecoated and washed, I'm finally getting around to highlighting my marines!

Pictures!

Those helmets are fucking dope as shit. What exactly are bullet mittens though?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    webguy20 wrote: »
    McGibs wrote: »

Pictures!

Those helmets are fucking dope as shit. What exactly are bullet mittens though?

Aggressors have big goofy gloves with built in guns

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    They're not quite as bad as Centurion "not-even-powerfist" mittens though, I'll give them that much.

website_header.jpg
  • HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    finishing up the sisters box, really need to learn how to take better photos

axvveg1ba2y3.jpg

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    What’s your grey?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    What’s your grey?

just Gw paints, Dawnstone as the base, Mechanicus for shade and celestra gray and ulthuan for highlights

PSN- AHermano
    edited August 2020
    After a longass week a work, I finally had time to knock together my first Indomitus set. A couple of small conversions are done for my space wolves... LOTS of green stuff fur to add now.

(I'm totally following Hermano's lead with posting from instagram. Saves so much time reformatting my phones HUGE photos and screenshots)

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Stomp Stomp Pew Pew!

I finished up another 'Mech group, a star of Clan Wolf from Beta Galaxy.

MFUM7exh.jpg

I had to make some adjustments to a few of these sculpts. For instance, the hips on this Linebacker normally sit right underneath the main body, and give you no ability to rotate the torso. So I build it up underneath said torso with some laser-cut parts, and after fixing the thigh-hip attachment points it actually looks like it could both walk and torso-twist.

82RnLzel.jpg

This Pouncer kinda drives me mad, because I like the sculpt, but the attachments points at the "shoulders" for the arms is basically nonexistant. I have no idea how the sculptor ever intended the arms to stay attached to the torso. I therefore sculpted a layer of greenstuff to thicken the torso in the z-axis, and give the shoulder nubs enough volume to actually stick the pins of the arm parts into mating holes, along with adding some volume to the hips to match.

cvfsCVgl.jpg

I tried a few new techniques on these 'Mechs, including using my airbrush and a mask to lay down the base colors (top half/bottom half). It worked out pretty well! Not sure when I'll try that trick again, but it was nice to see it work out pretty well.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    I feel like I tend to go too heavy on priming minis. Primed a test model today and I felt like I put too much on. No detail was obscured but still felt heavy.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I have acquired a can of acetone today. The plan is to soak my airbrush's tip, needle, cup and lower body for ~24 hours to loosen up all this dried paint, followed by rinsing it out with water.

That said, the can warns not to use it "to clean or flush spray equipment". So I just want to make sure before dunking my airbrush in a Frappuccino bottle half-full of acetone: is this okay? Y/N

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Ianator wrote: »
    I have acquired a can of acetone today. The plan is to soak my airbrush's tip, needle, cup and lower body for ~24 hours to loosen up all this dried paint, followed by rinsing it out with water.

That said, the can warns not to use it "to clean or flush spray equipment". So I just want to make sure before dunking my airbrush in a Frappuccino bottle half-full of acetone: is this okay? Y/N
    Of course it is. (Isopropyl, I assume.)

Any materials I shouldn't use as a container? I've got an old plastic jar, #1 PETE body and #5 PP lid that I could use.
    Glass is certainly preferable. You might want to test any other plastics with a little bit for a few days before committing a large amount.
    The other thing would be to make sure you don't soak any parts that have rubber in them. See about removing the bit where the hose connects - there should be an O-ring in there you don't want submerged, and paint shouldn't have gotten into that area anyway.

@ArcticLancer ?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I have a gummed up or jammed can of old citadel paint
    In the time I have had it it cooked off so paint slowly or what not worked it's way into the nozzle so I was debating about soaking it in rubbing alcohol and seeing if that clears the nozzle
    I think it's also dried just behind the ball bearing so it's a debate about going forward with this plan or just abandoning it

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Unfortunately rubbing alcohol is chronically in short supply whenever I go looking for it these days.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Unfortunately rubbing alcohol is chronically in short supply whenever I go looking for it these days.

Well though fun with chemistry you can make your own

I don't think there is anything inside an airbrush that the acetone will dissolve. It wont melt rubber but too much exposure will hurt the rubber.

I actually don't see any rubber seals on this airbrush. It might just be that old, though a lifetime in Nevada may mean they disintegrated and got thrown away long ago.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    The three man squad is strong in 9th edition.

iTfefup.jpg

RblsFAE.jpg

• NechriahNechriah Chookity!Registered User regular
    Good results with dunking the airbrush cup in about 2 ounces of acetone in a glass bottle, swishing it around or rinsing with water every hour or so. Gonna let it sit overnight as some bits of paint at the cup's bottom are being especially stubborn.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Nechriah wrote: »

I want Ahmed Best's "CRISP!" to also enter the lexicon.

https://youtu.be/dF8mT0RMqDA?t=379

Elbasunu on
    g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

I'm going to guess that it's the 'spray' part that's important, in that you don't want to be filling the air with aerosolized organic solvent. There are certainly worse things than acetone to do that with, but it's still not great.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Also some spray guns (the big ones they use for painting cars and walls) have plastic reservoirs and even plastic nozzles.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Acetone is some scary shit.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Can I just send you all my plastic and you can paint it like Ultramarines for me @DocSamson? Great, thanks, it's on it's way.

Seriously, as a fellow UM painter/player, that's great stuff. I aspire to a place where my smurfs look that good.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DocSamsonDocSamson Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Can I just send you all my plastic and you can paint it like Ultramarines for me @DocSamson? Great, thanks, it's on it's way.

Seriously, as a fellow UM painter/player, that's great stuff. I aspire to a place where my smurfs look that good.

I appreciate it! I have gotten a few comments on my ultras about how much people like the blue and it makes me feel a bit guilty, because it’s just Macragge blue with a Calgar blue highlight. Right out of the Duncan videos. And having that blue in a rattle can just makes life so much easier, I feel for all those armies that don’t get that easy first step.

But I just used like half a $35 can of retributor gold on a custodes tank and it’s making me think an airbrush is actually going to save me money in the long run. These damn cans add up.