As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

the empty arena wrestling thread

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    So AEW apparently beat Raw and Smackdown last week or the week before in ratings and RAW's continues to plummet. My concern is that they're obviously not going to blame it on Wrestling kind of sucking without an audience, and WWE sucking without talented writers, and just lay the fault at the feet of people like Drew and Bayley and Sasha.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    They'll probably drop a ton of money (that they saved by firing so many people and barely bothering to protect the ones they still have) to get Brock or someone similar to show up.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Brock should not bring in the ratings he does, but I'll admit, even I would consider tuning in if its to see Brock get his shit handed to him instead of just squashing someone for no good reason to carry a belt for another year.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    If they did an arc where Brock actually showed up week after week, got the title back, but then had to compete in many, many title defenses, sometimes 2 or 3 on the same night, and just put him through a gauntlet of shit for a year while higher-ups try and tell him they're doing this for his own good to show him he's too old for this shit...only to then throw Joe or Lee at him at WM and crush him, and then have him show up at Royal Rumble the next year for payback...

Well who am I kidding I still wouldn't watch it because fuck WWE. I can't hold my nose for that company anymore, and I'm honestly not sure where I stand on AEW at this point either.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    JR just referred to Warhorse as a "newcomer"... wonder if that was a mistake, or an indication that they actually signed him to a deal.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    JR just referred to Warhorse as a "newcomer"... wonder if that was a mistake, or an indication that they actually signed him to a deal.

It’s a possibility cause Cody has been engaging with his fans quite a bit this week

• Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    OK, that was a great intro for Warhorse.

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Wait, is Warhorse in Bullet Club?

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    they shoulda let WARHORSE come out with the Independent Wrestling Championship IMO

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    I like the story they're doing here, with Cody big-leaguing the hell out of Warhorse and Warhorse showing how big a mistake that is.

CuvisTheConqueror on
    xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    Oh ffs

If they sign Ryder and not fucking Warhorse

• Options
    Arn, Cody, and Cardona just standing and bro-fisting while WARHORSE is laying on the ground right under them lol

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Oh ffs

He's literally one of Cody's best friends and a big name in wrestling. Of course they signed him.

• Options
    Magell wrote: »
    Oh ffs

He's literally one of Cody's best friends and a big name in wrestling. Of course they signed him.

Where did I say they couldn’t sign him?

• Options
    edited July 2020
    DEBATE ME, COWARD
    -Chris Jericho, redditor

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Lol holy shit Kenny’s face

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    At some point they're going to have to let the Dark Order win something that matters.

• Options
    JR is WILD tonight lol

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    MJF’s hair is rapidly approaching Norman Osbourne territory.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Whoever at AEW decided multiple simultaneous election themes in their storylines was the play.... please go into a garbage can and stay in the garbage can and do not come out of the garbage can

• Options
    edited July 2020

35 matches from 20 promotions for free

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

I don't know off the top of my head if this includes any of his matches against Gary Jay, but if so, watch his matches against Gary Jay.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Variety did an article (ahead of tomorrow's WWE conference call) about the ratings and how the company will blame/has blamed everything except themselves https://variety.com/vip/amidst-wwe-ratings-tumble-mcmahon-must-stop-blaming-storylines-1234712446/
    It’s possible that for Q2’s declines, McMahon will revisit the trope that new stars need to be made, given the absence of several superstars due to the pandemic, notably Roman Reigns. This should be treated with short shrift.

If the downturn in ratings in Q4 2018 and Q1 2019 were down to superstar absences, this should have been the incentive to create new stars. Should this line be trotted out in the earnings call, it should be exposed as the hollow excuse that it is, and questions should be asked why no new stars have been created since January 2019, when WWE first publicly noted the need in the Q4 2018 earnings call.

Investors should be worried. No improvement has been made in ratings. If audiences continue to trend down, there’s little chance that last year’s huge renewals will be repeated when the current deals are up.
    The issue is that literally millions of fans who were tuning in regularly in 2017 are now burned out and no longer interested.

The potential for audience desertion has been apparent for years; investors simply rated the short-term financial gains McMahon was negotiating from TV networks in place of sustained long-term growth.

The focus of investors will be apparent in the quarterly earnings call. If there is one soft question on why ratings are down, it can be read that the market is more interested in short-term gains.

Instead, McMahon’s feet should be held to the fire, with Wall Street asking how much longer is needed to create compelling stories and new stars that catch the public’s imagination. Should McMahon be taken to task, then it will be a sign that, finally, investors are realizing that without an audience invested in content, there will be no future revenue bonanzas for WWE.

6UPL0tT.png
    t6iM1lb.png
    wOAjkFY.png

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Crippl3 wrote: »

I don't know off the top of my head if this includes any of his matches against Gary Jay, but if so, watch his matches against Gary Jay.

only got one, from last October

ok last WARHORSE post for now I swear:
    AEW is putting out a new themes collection on streaming in two weeks. WARHORSE's theme is included 👀🤔

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    It's been all newer guys going over more established stars in these NXT qualifying triple threats so far. Bodes well for Ridge Holland next week, I suppose.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Rusev says he's done with wrestling, is a professional Twitch streamer now.

He already has name value and we all know he's entertaining.

He can probably make more than in WWE, he doesn't have to travel for work, and he isn't beating himself up for no reason.

Good for him.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/rusev-says-he-s-done-wrestling-professional-twitcher-now

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    People of color or non-Americans hold every title in the WWE right now except for the WWE title (Strowman) and the IC title (Styles).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_champions_in_WWE

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    NJPW finally uploaded a bunch of themes to Spotify outside of Japan, here's the collection: https://open.spotify.com/album/0tN7hq3sQLvVfuyHJkcDZU
    It all seems to be older stuff, newest songs are from 2018-2019

• Options

He can probably make more than in WWE, he doesn't have to travel for work, and he isn't beating himself up for no reason.

Good for him.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/rusev-says-he-s-done-wrestling-professional-twitcher-now

Its a work I bet, till the world sorts itself out.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Nm I can’t get this stupid link to work on mobile but Tl:dr Bad Luck Fale lost ALOT of weight

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options

#tbt🔙📸 Smoking with the Dogg.@wwe @snoopdogg @michaelcole #wrestlinglife #wrestlinguniverse #oldschool #pimpingainteasy
    look at cole lmao (bigger version here)

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular

Good for him.

Man, if he can keep his old workout routine but not have to wrestle, travel 300 days a year, and deal with injuries constantly, imagine how healthy he'll be.

• Options
    Welp that didn’t last long wonder what dinged him

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Reading the comments, probably not permanent as he's still listed as a partner. Suspected culprit is people reporting Lana/CJ showing up on stream in a bikini a few days ago. God I hate the fucking throwbacks who do that shit.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Dakota Kai, Shayna Baszler, Mia Yim and Jessamyn Duke were playing Grounded, a new Early Access game where you roam around the backyard while ant-sized

Needless to say it went well (don't have the audio up high) https://streamable.com/jisqzi

This discussion has been closed.