As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I finally got a [Job] but still post here

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Another person who doesn't believe me that a csv file is just .txt with a different name and they can change the extension on their own without me having to regenerate it.

Wait, is CSV similar to .txt? I thought both were just file types that you could easily open with Notepad?

CSV is literally just your cells separated with commas. Comma Separated Values format.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Madican wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I always loved how exasperated they got from fan submissions telling them they were wrong about the airplane taking off from a conveyor belt.

Never seen the episode, but wouldn't a plane need air moving under the wings to properly achieve liftoff, making a conveyor belt useless?

The scenario is a conveyor is moving in the opposite direction of the plane, moving at the exact speed the plane is moving forward. The myth is that it would act like a car, and stay perfectly stationary. The issue is though, unlike a car, the propeller is the driving force for the plane, not it's wheels. Besides a bit of parasitic drag due to friction, the wheels of the plane just free-spin, and the plane will accelerate like it's on solid ground and take off.

Also, just FYI, this is a super simplified answer. Theres ton's of stuff online talking about it.

The concept breaks people brains.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    Another person who doesn't believe me that a csv file is just .txt with a different name and they can change the extension on their own without me having to regenerate it.

Wait, is CSV similar to .txt? I thought both were just file types that you could easily open with Notepad?

CSV is literally just your cells separated with commas. Comma Separated Values format.

Also historically it used to mean just comma separated values, but can also mean character separated. In this case it was pipes. But i guess people just tend to find it hard to divorce from the old meaning.

steam_sig.png
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I always loved how exasperated they got from fan submissions telling them they were wrong about the airplane taking off from a conveyor belt.

Never seen the episode, but wouldn't a plane need air moving under the wings to properly achieve liftoff, making a conveyor belt useless?

The scenario is a conveyor is moving in the opposite direction of the plane, moving at the exact speed the plane is moving forward. The myth is that it would act like a car, and stay perfectly stationary. The issue is though, unlike a car, the propeller is the driving force for the plane, not it's wheels. Besides a bit of parasitic drag due to friction, the wheels of the plane just free-spin, and the plane will accelerate like it's on solid ground and take off.

Also, just FYI, this is a super simplified answer. Theres ton's of stuff online talking about it.

Huh. How'd they even test this? Those engines put out enough thrust that any conveyor belt I think of is going to explosively self destruct about half a second after being turned on, if the plane itself doesn't launch into a wall

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Huh. How'd they even test this? Those engines put out enough thrust that any conveyor belt I think of is going to explosively self destruct about half a second after being turned on, if the plane itself doesn't launch into a wall

I think they did a full scale with a Cesna, but in the lead up they used RC planes, and I believe they de-tuned the motors to be realistic for their size.

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »
    We just watched the Mythbusters last night where they tested whether a truck full of birds would weigh less if all of the birds inside took flight and my mind is still reeling.
    It does not, it weighs the same whether the birds are all sitting down or whether they're all flying.

Like I understand why the answer is what it is, scientifically, but there's a part of my brain that's still running in circles about it.

My favorite myth busters is when they take thought experiments you could perfectly easily work through on paper and then say “but fuck it, we’re filling this cement truck with extremely potent explosives chickens because it’s awesome”

Edited for my personal favorite instance of "Because we can"

Bobble wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »
    We just watched the Mythbusters last night where they tested whether a truck full of birds would weigh less if all of the birds inside took flight and my mind is still reeling.
    It does not, it weighs the same whether the birds are all sitting down or whether they're all flying.

Like I understand why the answer is what it is, scientifically, but there's a part of my brain that's still running in circles about it.

My favorite myth busters is when they take thought experiments you could perfectly easily work through on paper and then say “but fuck it, we’re filling this cement truck with extremely potent explosives chickens because it’s awesome”

Edited for my personal favorite instance of "Because we can"

I loved that one.
    We've learned enough to solve this myth. But one thing we haven't yet learned, how cool would it be to blow up a cement truck.

steam_sig.png
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I can still remember the sound of that cement truck exploding and shooting the cab off camera

BYUUVVVVVVVvv!

Joolander on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Also .JSON and .dat I believe as some of us are lazy just dump all of our files as .txt.
    Fuck you computer, I make my own rules.

schuss on
  • FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Flarne wrote: »
    David_T wrote: »
    So my work is trying out Teams. What are folks experiences with it? Strengths, weaknesses? We already use Basecamp for project management. Will this be able to replace that? It doesn't seem like it does "assigned" work like Basecamp's To-dos or other ticket style systems.

We're using Teams currently, but only as a Slack and (at some point in the future) Skype for Business replacement, but you can add a Microsoft Planner tab to a Team and that does assigned work. We're using it as an ersatz CRM system and it works pretty well so far. As long as you can convince people to use it.

David_T What do you use to get some CRM functions from Teams? We have some basic customer info etc that would be useful to share with everyone, but haven’t found a smooth way to do it w Teams yet.

Keep in mind, we switched off Salesforce because it was too big for us and the team lead actually wanted to do everything in just Outlook and SAP, so anything is pretty much a step up. Right now we're just doing tasks in Planner to mimic cases (which is working quite well) and using the Wiki for shared information (...). I'm also trying to get people to chat in the designated channel rather than person to person, but for the last couple of weeks it's been either just me or me and one other person, so sometimes it's hard to not fall back into habits.

Think we’re in kinda similar situations. We’re not big enough for dedicated systems but too big that not having any sort of ordered info sharing structure is an issue.

Also trying to get people to use channels instead of just emailing whoever they think can solve it, so others can see and use the info. But then some of our senior people who should be answering stuff are like “I cba checking the channels, I turned off all notifications, there’s too much stuff to pay attention too”.

Yea, cause emails AND another thing is just too hard.

edited July 2020
    Joolander wrote: »
    I can still remember the sound of that cement truck exploding and shooting the cab off camera

BYUUVVVVVVVvv!

What I love is that they weren't nearly as proficient with explosives as they were in later seasons, and that explosion was WAY larger than any of them expected. I think they said they figured the back of the cement truck would blow off, and the cab. They weren't expecting to leave a crater.

webguy20 on
    My org used teams for a while. I'm not a huge fan. Imo it was a case of half assing a bunch things instead of whole assing a few.

steam_sig.png
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2020
    I genuinely love it when my text editors flip out when they encounter a .dat file because it's like they're very stupid pets and you walked in wearing a different hat
    "OH MY GOD WHAT IS THAT THING" *doff the .dat suffix* "Oh hi! I love you!"

tynic on
    My org used teams for a while. I'm not a huge fan. Imo it was a case of half assing a bunch things instead of whole assing a few.

Our CEO forced us to move to teams from Slack cause it’s free! Of course none of our integrations work anymore, and the monthly cost for all our employees would’ve been lower than one billing hour.
    But you know. It’s good to keep overhead down.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular

Our CEO forced us to move to teams from Slack cause it’s free! Of course none of our integrations work anymore, and the monthly cost for all our employees would’ve been lower than one billing hour.

That's a classic upper admin move, the "I'm going to make a decision that seems smart and that I think I can justify because of how simple it looks but actually it screws 19 different pooches and doesn't make any sense at all" and honestly I think every time one of those people does that they should immediately be pushed out of the nearest window, better hope your office isn't on the top floor!

That's a classic upper admin move, the "I'm going to make a decision that seems smart and that I think I can justify because of how simple it looks but actually it screws 19 different pooches and doesn't make any sense at all" and honestly I think every time one of those people does that they should immediately be pushed out of the nearest window, better hope your office isn't on the top floor!

I always wondered how hard it would be to get into consulting for small to medium businesses that are on that cusp that need to move on from email and excel into SOMETHING (Anything) better. I've done enough work in manufacturing at this point that I think I could help folks deploy cheat and better solutions, and to also help them look at the short term and long term costs.

I always wondered how hard it would be to get into consulting for small to medium businesses that are on that cusp that need to move on from email and excel into SOMETHING (Anything) better. I've done enough work in manufacturing at this point that I think I could help folks deploy cheat and better solutions, and to also help them look at the short term and long term costs.

Oh the sad part is we’re basically in that form of consulting. The CEO is not far removed from any of this, he just hates paying subscriptions.

While at the same time trying to change anything he can in our own business model to subscription, since reliable revenue is much better.

The fact that other people with good products work the exact same way does not seem to have crossed his mind.

Oh the sad part is we’re basically in that form of consulting. The CEO is not far removed from any of this, he just hates paying subscriptions.

While at the same time trying to change anything he can in our own business model to subscription, since reliable revenue is much better.

The fact that other people with good products work the exact same way does not seem to have crossed his mind.

Oh it has, its the "I'm smarter than the rest of them" mentality. He knows how the system works, and things with enough arguing he can get around the same business models he himself is trying to promote.

The world runs on Excel. There's really no competition for a fully featured spreadsheet.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    The Bronze age is really interesting

Eh. I tried getting into it. Started out promising, completely fell apart at the end with no real explanation or resolution. Two stars.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    schuss wrote: »
    The world runs on Excel. There's really no competition for a fully featured spreadsheet.

Sure, but it breaks when you try to do complex functions in it, like planning and scheduling your entire company, or needing to export data from that spreadsheet, or having multiple people accessing it. There's better software for that kind of stuff.

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    g0kip0fsbe2a.jpeg

I should not be in charge of people.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    g0kip0fsbe2a.jpeg

I should not be in charge of people.

Counterpoint: You should be in charge of everyone.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    I DON’T WANNA

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I DON’T WANNA

Aye, chief

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    Tox wrote: »
    I DON’T WANNA

Aye, chief

I’ll murder you

I’ll murder all of you

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I DON’T WANNA

Aye, chief

I’ll murder you

I’ll murder all of you

Oh thank GOD FINALLY

edited July 2020

Sure, but it breaks when you try to do complex functions in it, like planning and scheduling your entire company, or needing to export data from that spreadsheet, or having multiple people accessing it. There's better software for that kind of stuff.

I am quite confident that if you're breaking excel, it's probably user error. That said - yes, there are better tools.

Also export data....from....spreadsheet? IT IS THE EXPORT

schuss on

I am quite confident that if you're breaking excel, it's probably user error. That said - yes, there are better tools.

Well yes it is user error, when you only have one person who understands the dozens of interlinked tabs and formulas to make this thing work, and all the data is entered manually by multiple people? Yes it will break, and badly. Then when you want to export a subset of that data? It just breaks.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I DON’T WANNA

Aye, chief

I’ll murder you

I’ll murder all of you

Can't smoke a rock, chief

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I DON’T WANNA

Aye, chief

I’ll murder you

I’ll murder all of you

Hey Chief, I was instructed to get a HT Punch, know where I can get one?

Well yes it is user error, when you only have one person who understands the dozens of interlinked tabs and formulas to make this thing work, and all the data is entered manually by multiple people? Yes it will break, and badly. Then when you want to export a subset of that data? It just breaks.

At my first job, they built their annual parts pamphlet in excel, because I guess they didn't want to lay out all that stuff in publisher or something? They had me build a vb script for them to generate a code based on the part number or something, and I had to get fancy, and also that's when I learned that Excel (the 2003 or 2007 version anyway) had a complexity limit based on the number objects, that was determined by the number of cells x styles/fonts etc.
    And they were right up against that limit. If they added parts they had to carefully readjust the whole thing to reduce the complexity enough to add a few more cells.

steam_sig.png

At my first job, they built their annual parts pamphlet in excel, because I guess they didn't want to lay out all that stuff in publisher or something? They had me build a vb script for them to generate a code based on the part number or something, and I had to get fancy, and also that's when I learned that Excel (the 2003 or 2007 version anyway) had a complexity limit based on the number objects, that was determined by the number of cells x styles/fonts etc.
    And they were right up against that limit. If they added parts they had to carefully readjust the whole thing to reduce the complexity enough to add a few more cells.

Yea ours was a master schedule tracking dozens of projects with hundreds of pieces of equipment with up to dozens of shipments per pieces of equipment, while also tracking the stages of engineering, manufacturing, supply chain and packaging in shipping. We're talking multi-million dollar industrial installations of equipment here. All in a custom excel spreadsheet.

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I DON’T WANNA

Aye, chief

I’ll murder you

I’ll murder all of you

Can't smoke a rock, chief

That’s where you’re wrong, my friend.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I DON’T WANNA

Aye, chief

I’ll murder you

I’ll murder all of you

hey Chief I really gotta go can I take a pee break boss

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I DON’T WANNA

Aye, chief

I’ll murder you

I’ll murder all of you

hey Chief I really gotta go can I take a pee break boss

I swear every time I run into what non-11B jobs think is hard, even twenty years after, I'm just side-eyeing so hard.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am so broken. Anytime anyone says chief, I want to reply, McCloud!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular

Yea ours was a master schedule tracking dozens of projects with hundreds of pieces of equipment with up to dozens of shipments per pieces of equipment, while also tracking the stages of engineering, manufacturing, supply chain and packaging in shipping. We're talking multi-million dollar industrial installations of equipment here. All in a custom excel spreadsheet.

*technical tension rising*

OH MY GOD, GET A DATABASE YOU TWO!

Children's rights are human rights.
    edited July 2020
    Elaro wrote: »

We did! We have a custom front end database that also interfaces with our ERP system now. It's much cleaner and works great! It has a nice user interface and reporting built in.

webguy20 on
    Elaro wrote: »

I mean nowadays I've got a couple dozen oracle instances and GCP big query bucket.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.