As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Interesting Facts] are coming from INSIDE THE HOUSE

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    m!ttens wrote: »
    i saw a praying mantis nymph recently! lil thing was hanging out on my front door so i put my hand up and they hopped right into it and curiously inspected my hands and fingers while i carried them to the garden.

I wish we had more bees, butterflies and praying mantises around here, but instead it's just mosquitoes and invasive species like Japanese beetles and stink bugs.

The weirdest (but most interesting) invasive species around here is what's locally known as the "Lazarus Lizard:"
    In 1951, 10-year-old George Rau Jr., step-son of Fred Lazarus III, came across European wall lizards scurrying across rocky slopes while on a family vacation to Lake Garda in northern Italy located about 30 miles east of Milan. George smuggled a few (6 to 10 depending on the reference source) through customs to release them at his family's home on Torrence Court in the suburb of Hyde Park just east of Cincinnati.

The climate in Milan is almost identical to Cincinnati and there are plenty of rocky habitats in southwest Ohio to accommodate the lizard's needs. The European wall lizards thrived and became so numerous that Torrence Court is still sometimes referred to as "Lizard Hill." The burgeoning Italian expats were locally renamed "Lazarus lizards" in misplaced recognition of their perceived patrons. Of course, they should have been named "George's Lizards."

source: https://bygl.osu.edu/node/585

Are they doing harm to the local ecosystem? I'm not sure the difference between "invasive" compared to just...now they live there.

I suppose they are more of an "introduced" rather than invasive species; if anything they probably just eat pest insects. Their camouflage is pretty good but it's fun to spot them with the toddler on our walks. There are a couple concrete retaining walls near a park by our house where you can sometimes find them sunning, especially during the summer months. I've rarely seen one get more than about 10 inches from nose to tail so they are pretty small little things.

wait, 10 INCHES? or 10 centimeters?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Modern dogs are a Victorian thing for the most part

I mean from this Roman thing we can see that's clearly not the case. It was probably more of a breed standard thing than "before the 1800s no one gave dogs names and kept them in their home". Can't get a specific breed for your housedog if you're not made of a billion fucking pounds.

Just in most lower class homes they were expected to also do things like warn for predators and herd sheep and shit. Whether they were allowed into the home with you at night was probably still going on, just down to the individual.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    2020 is a year with a leap second

that means that this is something that will actually happen

As if we needed 2020 to last any longer. Thanks, Obama Gregory XIII

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    That's His Holiness Gregory Hussein XIII. A lot of people forget the Hussein, but I think it's important.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    That's His Holiness Gregory Hussein XIII. A lot of people forget the Hussein, but I think it's important.

I'm failing to get this

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I wish I failed to get it

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    2020 is a year with a leap second

that means that this is something that will actually happen

how dare you

• TaminTamin Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »

I'm failing to get this

Barack Hussein Obama

Tamin wrote: »

I'm failing to get this

Barack Hussein Obama

I mean

I get that

I just thought it was a gregory the 13th thing and was all????

• PhotosaurusPhotosaurus Bay Area, CARegistered User regular

I'm failing to get this

Barack Hussein Obama

I mean

I get that

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_calendar#Accuracy

TL;DR - rounding error.

"If complete and utter chaos was lightning, then he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet copper armour and shouting 'All gods are bastards'."
  • TefTef Registered User regular

I'm failing to get this

Barack Hussein Obama

I mean

I get that

It’s also a MBMBAM podcast bit they used to do about Obama. I think it was a riff on that

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    it was something someone unironically said on fox news before it was an mbmbam bit

BahamutZERO.gif
  • HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Modern dogs are a Victorian thing for the most part

I mean from this Roman thing we can see that's clearly not the case. It was probably more of a breed standard thing than "before the 1800s no one gave dogs names and kept them in their home". Can't get a specific breed for your housedog if you're not made of a billion fucking pounds.

Just in most lower class homes they were expected to also do things like warn for predators and herd sheep and shit. Whether they were allowed into the home with you at night was probably still going on, just down to the individual.

What I meant by modern dogs is many breeds popped up in the Victorian age as people took a hobby in eugenics :( using dogs to prove it

• PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    eyebawlz

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    eyebawlz

How long's that one been percolating?

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    eyebawlz

IT'S GOT THE NUTRIENTS PLANTS YOUR EYES NEED

• PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    I just spent the last 10-15 minutes looking for a website that made the world turtle myth sound legit, so I could post it here as a gag. sadly I could not find one, and have now given up. interesting fact: I give up after 10-15 min of research.

Madican wrote: »
    eyebawlz

How long's that one been percolating?

Either it was a sudden flash of inspiration that didn't trigger the first time I saw that tweet, or a significant portion of my brain has been steadily grinding away at it for three days and just went "Ding!"

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    The world turtle thing is based on a 17th century misinterpretation of Vaishnaite cosmology

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    EAT THE STONE OREO

DO IT

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    SmOrE
    StOnE

coincidence? i think not

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    so, if someone theoretically needed to learn about geography very very quickly, how would y'all recommend they go about it

Internet

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Buy a physical atlas and study maps

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The geography of a specific region, or like, the subject in general?

Wikipedia and following the references to read the primary sources is often a decent start.

That's notoriously slow the only slower method is to walk all over a bunch of stuff

basically, rivers, countries, capitals, oceans, what is where

theoretically the sort of things that may come up on a popular quiz show

theoretically

Hmm. You could try searching "geography trivia" and just taking a bunch of random trivia quizzes?

3clipse wrote: »
    Hmm. You could try searching "geography trivia" and just taking a bunch of random trivia quizzes?

this is my current strategy, yeah, it's not exactly conducive to my learning style but that may also be why I've never been terribly good at geography

edited August 2020
    Oh you could try playing thousands of hours of various total war games fuck thats slow though

Hobnail on

eat a globe to gain its power

worldwide geography is too broad to really cram for I think, seeing what sorts of stuff is commonly in geography trivia quizzes is probably the best idea.

BahamutZERO.gif
    good calls, thanks everyone!

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    If you're looking for practice quiz maps, this website might be a decent resource - https://online.seterra.com/en

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The world heritage foundation used to have fun quizzes about placing various cities or heritage sites on maps.

But really what you should do is play eight thousand hours of geolocator. Walk the globe in real time as a digital pilgrim. Learn to discern north Uzbekistan from southern Kazakhstan by the subtle differences in signage, enjoy meeting road llamas in the Andes, really get your teeth stuck in.