As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Formula One & motorsport] Le Mans 24 Hours: Please stop crashing into Sophia Flörsch

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Sounds like an engineering challenge for the supposed best race car developers in the world. :+1:

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    The current cars couldn't do the Nordschleife. There are entire sections they wouldn't be able to safely navigate because of their ride height and aero compression. Not to mention it's not a Grade 1 facility (the GP circuit is, but not Nords).

That doesn't seem like a reasonable excuse to me. Get them in there.

• tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Virtual GP at the Nordschleife!

steam_sig.png
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    Virtual GP at the Nordschleife!

Do it in Grand Prix Legends. :twisted:

• altidaltid Registered User regular
    The situation with Spain might present a problem for F1. With the UK now imposing a 14 day quarantine on return from spain, it might not be viable for F1 to go there. I've heard rumour that silverstone might have to step in for a third race if that's the case, but nothing concrete.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Not just might not be viable, there's no way they can go there with the quarantine in place, it'll be physically impossible.

Depends on if they can get an exemption (unlikely, considering Catalonia is one of the areas most affected) or if they could stay on continent for two weeks until belgium (also very unlikely, and other countries may have/are likely to impose quarantine as well).

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    altid wrote: »
    The situation with Spain might present a problem for F1. With the UK now imposing a 14 day quarantine on return from spain, it might not be viable for F1 to go there. I've heard rumour that silverstone might have to step in for a third race if that's the case, but nothing concrete.

They could try swapping the calendar around and have them go last or something if they really want it.

But 3 Silverstone races? Maybe if they use the other circuit configurations (or do a reverse race? :lol: )

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

They could try swapping the calendar around and have them go last or something if they really want it.

But 3 Silverstone races? Maybe if they use the other circuit configurations (or do a reverse race? :lol: )

Donnington!

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    The current cars couldn't do the Nordschleife. There are entire sections they wouldn't be able to safely navigate because of their ride height and aero compression. Not to mention it's not a Grade 1 facility (the GP circuit is, but not Nords).

For me not being a grade 1 circuit is a perfectly valid excuse. The Nordshliefe is dangerous at the best of times, even with slow cars. Putting 200mph, 5g, monsters on a course with no runoff, close in walls everywhere, and a ludicrously high average speed isn't worth it for me to get a good show. I've watched enough fatal accidents in my time as a motorsports fan.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Pretty sure Dhalpir was being ironic. But yeah.

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    OK jumped back into Spa with the 2019 Ferrari, and did a few more laps. I decided to stop being stupid and use the allowed driving line in the corners, since it's really hard to tell when the car is about to break loose with a controller. Managed a 1:51.324 which is a definite improvement over my previous, but still pretty slow. If I knew how to modify a setup I could probably get it a bit quicker, but honestly that was really stressful trying to get to where I am now.

Apropos of nothing, did you know that you can use DRS while hotlapping?

-edit- No reason to double post so I'll just edit this in here. After doing the F1 laps I felt like driving something more sedate, so I fired up Project CARS 2 and decided to start a new career in the Ginetta Junior series instead of in the karts. For the first race I didn't realize I had the practice session set to off, so I was treating the qualification session as a testing session so I ended up qualifying dead last in 12th. I did claw my way back to 6th during the race itself, but I still got a nasty e-mail from the team saying they expected me to do better. Fair enough. For the second race I enabled the practice session since I had never even heard of the track before, much less run it in a game. Turns out it was raining! So that was interesting and my practice session wasn't fantastic. I went out for qualifying and my engineer was like, "You've got the pace for pole, let's show it!" and I wasn't exactly confident about that, but I did in fact manage pole with my first lap after the outlap, and every other lap during the session was significantly slower. So that was neat! Then during the race I managed to lead every lap and win by over 4 seconds so the team was super pleased with me. I even had fastest lap, which puts me just ahead of my teammate for second place in the championship (he won the first race and finished sixth in the second).

The G40 Junior is pretty fun to drive, an actual car instead of a kart. I don't know which end tier racing series that one ends up pointing to, maybe Touring Cars or something? I'm pretty sure the karts lead to the LMP1, though I am aware you don't have to follow the direct path from one to the next. For now the G40 Junior is fun and feels about right for my experience level, and more like a car than the karts were. Hopefully I can keep up the moderate level of success and make some progress.

chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
    F1 2020 got an update that, among other things, gives the Merc the black livery. :+1:

Jazz wrote: »
    F1 2020 got an update that, among other things, gives the Merc the black livery. :+1:

Nice. Did it nerf the Ferrari engine for My Team mode?

steam_sig.png
    chrisnl wrote: »

Nice. Did it nerf the Ferrari engine for My Team mode?

Nope.

Mercedes car and driver suits updated to the black livery.
    Fixed an issue in unranked multiplayer where a host disconnection resulted in AI having unrealistic lap times.
    Sergio Perez and Lance Stroll now wear the correct gloves.
    Fixed a progression issue in My Team career which could occur after an Invitational event.
    Fixed a progression issue in My Team career which could occur at the end of a season.
    The Savant sponsor will now correctly pay out.
    Various other stability and bug fixes.

so lets not correct a major gameplay balance issue, but my god they're wearing the wrong gloves, FIX IT IMMEDIATELY

so lets not correct a major gameplay balance issue, but my god they're wearing the wrong gloves, FIX IT IMMEDIATELY

Probably more "this is an easy fix, let's pop that in while we work on other stuff".

The Ferrari engine issue has the problem of, how do you implement it without breaking people's existing saves. I wonder if they can leave existing saves alone and only have it be implemented in new ones. Then you still run into the problem of what happens if you change engine supplier later. It's a tricky one and I don't blame them for taking their time to work it out, if indeed they ever do anything with it.

Yeah I was mostly just being snarky. I'm in general a Ferrari fan, but their F1 team has been kind of a shitshow lately. I don't know how you implement a change like that for the game, and I wouldn't be surprised if they just never address it. In a way it's kind of balanced by the cost of the contract anyway, right? So it's not even necessarily a game balance issue, it's just a realism issue. If Ferrari's engine is decreased in performance to more closely match reality, they'd have to lower the contract cost or nobody would sign up with them anyway right?

I mean I'd prefer realism in this situation, and honestly it's kind of realistic to not know exactly what you are getting beforehand. It just isn't necessarily fun, and the F1 games are clearly not hardcore sim racers so ignoring the issue is a perfectly valid response. I think there is also an argument to be made regarding the stats of the other suppliers as well, but something tells me that the supplier with the highest stats is still going to cost the most no matter the actual order.

steam_sig.png
    Could always pull a bait and switch by just nerfing it. That way they'd have the true Ferrari customer experience! :)

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Yeah in normal times they would have implemented the more accurate Ferrari performance simply because they would have had the data from almost half the season before game release.

Happened upon some youtube video of an F1 race from just 2017 and my first reaction was "holy shit their heads are just out there all EXPOSED!!!!"

Amazing how fast you get used to the halo.

steam_sig.png
    Improved my time at Belgium, found over six tenths over my last attempt, but it was not enough to beat @altid .

yf5g72zzb1o6.jpg

1:45.392. You win this round!

https://www.mclarenstore.com/en/mclaren-f1-we-race-as-one-team-u-mask/701210840-orange.html

I weakened and ordered one. I don't even live somewhere where masks are necessary right now, we have double digit active cases and we measure days per case, not cases per day, but you know what, outbreaks are inevitable and I'm going to look fly when they happen.

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular

For me not being a grade 1 circuit is a perfectly valid excuse. The Nordshliefe is dangerous at the best of times, even with slow cars. Putting 200mph, 5g, monsters on a course with no runoff, close in walls everywhere, and a ludicrously high average speed isn't worth it for me to get a good show. I've watched enough fatal accidents in my time as a motorsports fan.

Jimmy Broadbent sent a F1 car around there in Assetto Corsa.

https://youtu.be/c_iu7o_a47k

Looks like fun, but also absolutely insane.

edited July 2020
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

One other thing I realized while watching this, a reason to race at shorter circuits is that if you're watching the race in the stands, it's fucking boring as hell to have a 14 lap race where you're waiting 7 minutes for cars to come back around.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
    tsmvengy wrote: »
    TheBigEasy wrote: »

One other thing I realized while watching this, a reason to race at shorter circuits is that if you're watching the race in the stands, it's fucking boring as hell to have a 14 lap race where you're waiting 7 minutes for cars to come back around.

That’s what multiclass racing is for. I’m ready for F1 and all the support races to go together on that track.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I was just watching that video. He talks about and confirms everything I was saying. As mental of a spectacle as it would be, it would be deadly dangerous. As he points out, really the fastest cars that should be racing around the Nords are GT3 cars. One lap hot lapping like the 919 EVO is one thing. Racing is another.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

hmmm (Hope he's ok, Perez seems to be a good sort)

Lando also has a new helmet design this week

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    edited July 2020
    I'd guess a reserve driver would have to stand in if Perez wasn't cleared to race. Went looking to see who the reserve drivers are, and it seems they're using the Mercedes reserve drivers: Esteban Gutierrez and Stoffel Vandoorne. McLaren are also using the Mercedes reserve drivers. I believe Vandoorne is competing in Formula E as well? Hope Perez is clear naturally, but it is the sort of season where you have to plan for contingencies.
    https://www.racefans.net/2020/06/04/racing-point-also-sharing-mercedes-reserve-drivers-with-mclaren/

altid on
    Well, shit. Perez tested positive for COVID. Hope he recovers quickly!

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

:(

Hell, chances are he'll miss the two weeks because I'd expect him to be 14 days in isolation.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    :sad:

Feel better soon, Checo!

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

:(

Hell, chances are he'll miss the two weeks because I'd expect him to be 14 days in isolation.

That's best case. If he gets a fever, it could be longer. And there's lots of people with permanent long term damage as a result, so.....

edited July 2020
    Motorsport.com reporting that Hulkenberg is the preferred stand in for Perez. I can see the logic behind it too. Vandoorne is in contention in Formula E, so not available, while Gutierrez hasn't had a F1 start in 3 years. Hulkenberg has history with the team and recent experience. The only question I'd have is could they reliably test him in time for the race?
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hulkenberg-tipped-to-replace-perez-at-racing-point/4846486/

Edit: Also reading that the lack of recent experience might pose a problem for Gutierrez superlicense - as in he might not hold a valid one anymore.

altid on
    A shame it's in these circumstances, but it's nice to see Hulkenberg back in a seat, even temporarily.

I do like it when Ferrari remove the ‘totally not tobacco’ advertising (presumably because they are forced to).

I do like it when Ferrari remove the ‘totally not tobacco’ advertising (presumably because they are forced to).

FIA even made them get rid of their smoking engine SMH.

steam_sig.png
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Imagine if Hulkenburg gets on the podium, he's certainly got a car up to the task! I would be ecstatic

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Imagine if Hulkenburg gets on the podium, he's certainly got a car up to the task! I would be ecstatic

And he's got two cracks at it on a track that should suit the car.

I'm loving these Tech Talk videos F1 has been posting.

https://youtu.be/NcDGAFuDq_E

This discussion has been closed.