As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Magic The Gathering Arena] Kamigawa; where Keanu plays some sort of Cyborg Rat Ninja

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Why not both!

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Why not both!

Honestly I'd take either at this point. Standard Pauper makes the most sense given the available card pool in Arena.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    My friends and I have been doing winston drafts using https://mtgadraft.herokuapp.com/ . It's such a blast, you can have it use only your collections, too, so you don't have to craft anything. We just draft and do a bo3. It's so nice to have something like my old house of friends playing table magic.

Ikoria works great, since Winston often has you needed to dip into a 3rd color for playables, but 2021 was fine too. We've all drafted enough of both to have enough cards to enjoy it.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    orzhov lifegain Vito decks have become my obsession. I am tinkering at Vampire Tribal, White Devotion, Black devotion bombs.

All for Vito, praise Vito, Thorn of Dusk Rose

i've been playing vito with ajani, strength of the pride

also if you resolve revival/revenge and your life is at least half of theirs, that's game

• Options
    I'm trying to carve out time to get more draft experience. Elsewhere, it was suggested to do bot drafts for a while. Is that something you'd recommend, or should I just do human drafts?

I'm worried that bot drafts will teach me bad habits.

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    I think either is fine. getting into drafting bots might even be better for a lot of reasons.

No time pressure being the biggest.

Humans are certainly less predictable than bots, and if you want to become an expert drafter, you need to eventually start reading the picks that are coming your way and figuring out what your opponents are picking. But if you aren't at that level yet, bots work fine.

Also, this is just me, but i see a lot fewer super nuts decks in quick draft. Many times in premier there will be an entire archetype that just gets ignored by 7 players, and the one person picking it gets a near perfect deck.

• Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    orzhov lifegain Vito decks have become my obsession. I am tinkering at Vampire Tribal, White Devotion, Black devotion bombs.

All for Vito, praise Vito, Thorn of Dusk Rose

i've been playing vito with ajani, strength of the pride

also if you resolve revival/revenge and your life is at least half of theirs, that's game

Vito/Revenge Bombs is the synergy basis for MOST of my decks, yeah. Even Mono Black Devotion Vito slips it in. Too powerful not too! Heliod's intervention is also real good, but more of a white sink, and I've had less success with it.

I've got to save up for some Ajani's, because my 4th drops are usually the Bell-Haunts and Sorins, and if I'm ever going a bit more white (heliod, the two drop white devotion guys) then getting the Ajani Pridemate maker is big, I bet!

Also finding that if you get some Pridemates into the Vito mix, it helps detract from the focus he's getting. People are finally reading the card and knocking him turn 3/4.

Vito also has tonnes of fun in a Light of Hope, Speaker of Heavens, Griffin Aerie at the start. Just a token engine.

My biggest conflict is removal. Black and White removal gives so many options it is VERY overwhelming for me.

• Options
    KorrorKorror Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm trying to carve out time to get more draft experience. Elsewhere, it was suggested to do bot drafts for a while. Is that something you'd recommend, or should I just do human drafts?

I'm worried that bot drafts will teach me bad habits.

Bot drafts are like drafting with the same 7 friends over and over. It's fine for a long while but eventually you realize that you can make the same deck every time because your friends undervalue certain cards. It's like what happened when me and my coworkers had a semi-regular cube draft, we knew that certain people would always go blue, one person would always go mono-white and no one took the red cards. Bots have certain preferences that you can figure out but it's something that happens after a dozen drafts depending on your drafting skill.

I'd draft with bots first because you can get more games for your money and when that starts to feel stale swap to human drafts.

Battlenet ID: NullPointer
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I've scraped together enough Gems to buy a Mastery Pass. Don't know if I should actually buy one. I think I'll wait until Zendikar at the very least. That way I'll have more time to fill it out, provided my interest in Magic doesn't crater again between now and then.

Also, the Well-Read Dinosaurs Jumpstart deck would've worked so much better if a drew more Dinosaurs and just a little less Well-Read.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Isn't the well-read part supposed to draw you into the dinos? That was the agreement, no?

I ran Elves/Basri for a bit last night. That was brutally efficient. Also had fun with Smashing Lands in the FNM event. Feathered Friends Doctor routinely finished with 30+ life.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Isn't the well-read part supposed to draw you into the dinos? That was the agreement, no?

You'd think so, but mostly they drew me more Lands and card-draw Enchantments to put on the Creatures that I wasn't drawing. It was pretty frustrating.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    That's the hard part about Jumpstart.

Sometimes you double vamps and walk through people. Other times you end up in predatory discard and just draw the wrong half of each archetype and do nothing

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I feel there needs to be a rule against going mono-colour in jumpstart. Definitely no mono-pack name.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I feel there needs to be a rule against going mono-colour in jumpstart. Definitely no mono-pack name.

Monocolor isn't too absurd; you're guaranteed two awkward draws when the Thriving lands show up and you're vulnerable to certain things as per the color pie. But yeah doubling up shouldn't be allowed.

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    :/
    I'm not sure mono-pack has anything over my +1/+1 Basri or +1/+1 Heavily Armoured though.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    Got Reanimate Minions one time. That was a lot of fun.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    My pack combinations so far:

Reanimation Angels: Thought it'd be a fun controlly haymakers deck. Turned out it has very limited removal and Linvala is an awful rare.

Garruk Dinos: Absurd, if a bit narrow. Basically two mono-green 4+ power matters decks with incredible reach via trample. Dies to aggro flying though.

Goblin Lands: Muxus is fun when he doesn't whiff, which is often. No top-end besides him though, so the ramp was sort of eh.

+1/+1 Minions: No internal synergy at all but it doesn't matter because +1/+1 is absurd. I won several games with a single unblocked swing with the doubling counters enchantment plus the double counters trick.

Phyrexian Spooky: This deck is a crazy monoblack control deck. Loop creatures that return creatures for endless chump blocks, clear with Languish, and generate tons of rats via death triggets. Phyrexian Reclamation is a crazy stupid card

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    I had great success with archeology Basri. Those little artifact creatures pair with him quite nicely if you can get him out, Basris issue seems to usually be "i have no creatures" and archeology has lots of ways to get dead creatures back in your hand ready to cast.

I hope they plan to update Jumpstart regularly though. New deck halves every month or two would be nice

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    tbloxham wrote: »
    I had great success with archeology Basri. Those little artifact creatures pair with him quite nicely if you can get him out, Basris issue seems to usually be "i have no creatures" and archeology has lots of ways to get dead creatures back in your hand ready to cast.

I hope they plan to update Jumpstart regularly though. New deck halves every month or two would be nice

I would drop an unreasonable amount of gold trying to get some theoretical Werewolf Jumpstart packets. Even though Werewolves just aren't really all that good.

Fortunately, I doubt WotC has any plans for regular updates, and even if they do, Werewolves are likely very low on their list of priorities.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Dang that's a whole lot of bans

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    They killed the cat! God bless, they killed the cat!

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    Noooooooooooooooooo

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    Frankly there's nothing bad about Cauldron Cat, it's just an absolute pain in the ass in Arena.

• Options
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    Frankly there's nothing bad about Cauldron Cat, it's just an absolute pain in the ass in Arena.

"Arena PITA" was the dominant reasoning behind a lot of these today.

• Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    I have no idea what the meta is going to look like in a week. Removing 3feri is such a huge shake up.

This may be the first time I've thought that in quite a while.

• Options
    Thank God 3feri is gone. As a Cycling player, I still have to deal with Blue Narset for another 2 months.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    As someone getting back in the game, reading this announcement all I could think was "there are how many formats?" Is Historic eventually supposed to become Pioneer, or did they choose to to make Arena have its own eternal format for whatever reason?

• Options
    metaghost wrote: »
    As someone getting back in the game, reading this announcement all I could think was "there are how many formats?" Is Historic eventually supposed to become Pioneer, or did they choose to to make Arena have its own eternal format for whatever reason?

They made Arena have its own eternal format before Pioneer was announced, in order to let people play with their rotated cards, because people hate the idea of permanently losing cards. It's its own custom thing, not pioneer nor intended to be.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    BoomerAang SquadBoomerAang Squad Registered User regular
    Historic is similar to MTGO's Classic format, before they had the cards for Legacy and Vintage proper.

• Options
    BSoB wrote: »
    I have no idea what the meta is going to look like in a week. Removing 3feri is such a huge shake up.

i'm guessing... counter spells and RDW

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Simic Flash could make a big comeback?

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    milski wrote: »

They made Arena have its own eternal format before Pioneer was announced, in order to let people play with their rotated cards, because people hate the idea of permanently losing cards. It's its own custom thing, not pioneer nor intended to be.

So to be clear, with the upcoming Amonkhet Remastered (and eventually Kaladesh?), Historic will functionally be Pioneer + Random Modern/Legacy cards released through things like Jumpstart?

• Options

At least Wilderness Reclamation won't be around to make counterspells always an option.

And that particular Teferi being gone is also very good and I approve.

Not sure how I feel about Uro still being around, though.

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    Temur Adventures' last weakpoint was Teferi, so maybe it's finally my time to shine.

• Options

At least Wilderness Reclamation won't be around to make counterspells always an option.

I feel like there's enough graveyard hate to keep Uro in check.

• Options

So to be clear, with the upcoming Amonkhet Remastered (and eventually Kaladesh?), Historic will functionally be Pioneer + Random Modern/Legacy cards released through things like Jumpstart?

No, Pioneer goes back way further than Arena does.

I ate an engineer
  • Options

No, Pioneer goes back way further than Arena does.

Yeah Pioneer starts with Return to Ravnica (or the Core Set just prior, I forget).

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Uro will be much weaker without growth spiral

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Should've got rid of Oven or made gameplay loops more automated in MTGA imo.