As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[US Economy]-Covid-19 Depression? Edition, though not about Covid itself

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    The GOP has completely lost sight of what it means to actually govern and the presidency today really evinces that fact

• Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    The GOP has completely lost sight of what it means to actually govern and the presidency today really evinces that fact

Have they ever known how to govern, though?

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

Have they ever known how to govern, though?

Less so this century, but previous Republican administrations have been depressingly effective at implementing their policies.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Also it's kind of hard to fathom what losing a third of the country's GDP will look like.

You're talking about going back 20 to 30 years in terms of economic activity.

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Also it's kind of hard to fathom what losing a third of the country's GDP will look like.

Hoovervilles.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I at least understand the logistics of the issues in the Senate but I can't for the life of me explain the White House. McConnell was really banking on having a unified GOP in the Senate to strong-arm the Democratic House but apparently far too many Senate Republicans are dead set against passing anything at all so he's stuck. But as the article cited points out, I definitely think Trump could save his reelection by pushing a bipartisan bill and there is no sense to what the White House is doing.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    I at least understand the logistics of the issues in the Senate but I can't for the life of me explain the White House. McConnell was really banking on having a unified GOP in the Senate to strong-arm the Democratic House but apparently far too many Senate Republicans are dead set against passing anything at all so he's stuck. But as the article cited points out, I definitely think Trump could save his reelection by pushing a bipartisan bill and there is no sense to what the White House is doing.

My guess is Trump can't be bothered to really care meaning it falls to Kushner, Ivanka, Mnuchin, and ghouls like Miller to make a plan. Which they are incapable of doing.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

Hoovervilles.

Looking forward to The Grapes of Wrath 2

• Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

Hoovervilles.

I was tempted to append the usual "Boogaloo", but that has more disturbing connotations right now. :(

• Options
    UrsusUrsus Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »

Hoovervilles.

The Wines of wrath?

The Raisins of Wrath?

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular

Hoovervilles.

Occupy Wallstreet v2

This time with more evicted blue and white collar workers on layoffs

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Gonna be so cool watching the Millenials truly cement their position as a lost generation, with Gen Z getting thoroughly fucked too.

This sucks, I know someone with a massage business they had just gotten fully off the ground and now they're completely fucked.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

NYT DC Bureau Chief.

So the Senate GOP won't vote for anything that doesn't have a liability shield and about half the republican caucus won't vote for any enhanced UI benefits. The White House doesn't care about the liability shield and just wants UI and an eviction moratorium (reportedly, I think they just want anything to pass so they can call it a win). The Democrats want the Senate to vote on what the House already passed weeks ago. And in the middle of all of this the Senate shut down for the weekend and went home.

What a fucking mess.

• Options
    RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »

NYT DC Bureau Chief.

So the Senate GOP won't vote for anything that doesn't have a liability shield and about half the republican caucus won't vote for any enhanced UI benefits. The White House doesn't care about the liability shield and just wants UI and an eviction moratorium (reportedly, I think they just want anything to pass so they can call it a win). The Democrats want the Senate to vote on what the House already passed weeks ago. And in the middle of all of this the Senate shut down for the weekend and went home.

What a fucking mess.

IRT that second tweet, it's clear that Trump's staff know the two things that keep this election from going from "Resounding defeat" to "Angry mob burns down White House with us inside before Halloween."

I doubt Trump is on the same page.

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Normally it’s McConnell’s tactic to ignore the House bill, pass his own shitty one, then dismiss the Senate so that the House has no choice but to vote on the shitty Senate bill or watch the nation fall apart.

Except there is no Senate bill, shitty or otherwise. Seems like a catastrophe is about to happen.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »

My guess is Trump can't be bothered to really care meaning it falls to Kushner, Ivanka, Mnuchin, and ghouls like Miller to make a plan. Which they are incapable of doing.

I think that one of the keys to understanding Trump is to understand that Sloth plays a major role in who he is (along with Pride, Lust, Wrath, Envy, Greed and Gluttony). Trump doesn’t want to be the Chief Executive. He wants to be the Emperor. He doesn’t want to do the hard work of reading reports and hearing experts and understanding data. That’s for lesser people. Trump wants to make statements, be applauded for them, and then have his minions bring his word to life in a way that makes him look good.

This economy stuff is complicated and boring.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I hate living through history. Interesting times indeed.

It's just so frustrating that while the pandemic is inevitably going to be a disruptive problem, the Republicans over and over keep doing the stupidest and worst possible things. They refuse any of the easy outs or low hanging wins for no good reason.

It's like a murder-suicide pact that the American people don't want to be part of but have no way out of.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »

It's just so frustrating that while the pandemic is inevitably going to be a disruptive problem, the Republicans over and over keep doing the stupidest and worst possible things. They refuse any of the easy outs or low hanging wins for no good reason.

It's like a murder-suicide pact that the American people don't want to be part of but have no way out of.

I think its difficult somehow for them to understand quite how bad for the economy a truly unconstrained outbreak would be. Even if you could magically get 70% of consumers to ignore it, the remaining 30% would avoid all discretionary spending or activities outside the home. Which is a catastrophic recession all by itself.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    zagdrob wrote: »

I think its difficult somehow for them to understand quite how bad for the economy a truly unconstrained outbreak would be. Even if you could magically get 70% of consumers to ignore it, the remaining 30% would avoid all discretionary spending or activities outside the home. Which is a catastrophic recession all by itself.

Look, we're just voting for everything to go back to normal immediately

The virus is going to have to just go along with whatever we vote for

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Washington Post reporter:
    CNBC running a segment now advising people who are losing their unemployment benefits to "make ends meet" by "following a pandemic budget;" contact "lenders and creditors" for help; and "post your skills" on Nextdoor, Instagram & Facebook
    Are they trying to get people to get the guillotines out?

• Options
    Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    Why not try selling your organs, or an irritating child?

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    A person that has no idea what poverty or need is:
    "Just use the job cannon stupid."

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Washington Post reporter:
    CNBC running a segment now advising people who are losing their unemployment benefits to "make ends meet" by "following a pandemic budget;" contact "lenders and creditors" for help; and "post your skills" on Nextdoor, Instagram & Facebook
    Are they trying to get people to get the guillotines out?

CNBC is written very much for the investor class. So this type of "let them eat cake" mentality makes sense.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Remember the courthouse eviction protest from a few days ago?

Local lawyer that pushed through the lines.

I wonder how many evictions went ahead because the renters couldn't get in to defend themselves :/ Seems like they should have postponed all cases, letting a case go through when one side is physically prevented from entering is BS

(Also worth noting they *did* let her through even of the video doesn't show that well)

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Today in the media is conservatively biased in an absolutely horrific way:

https://hosted.ap.org/standardspeaker/article/6547ff6300f7540c376ed92728ac0739/stakes-rise-virus-talks-jobless-aid-lapses-gdp-drops

Headline: Trump Offers, Democrats Reject Fix For $600 Jobless Benefit

That's the AP, that story gets farmed out to hundreds of papers and TV stations across the country. And the headline that is all most people will see is a complete inversion of the truth.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Remember the courthouse eviction protest from a few days ago?

Local lawyer that pushed through the lines.

I wonder how many evictions went ahead because the renters couldn't get in to defend themselves :/ Seems like they should have postponed all cases, letting a case go through when one side is physically prevented from entering is BS

(Also worth noting they *did* let her through even of the video doesn't show that well)

I don't. What are you talking about?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular

https://hosted.ap.org/standardspeaker/article/6547ff6300f7540c376ed92728ac0739/stakes-rise-virus-talks-jobless-aid-lapses-gdp-drops

That's the AP, that story gets farmed out to hundreds of papers and TV stations across the country. And the headline that is all most people will see is a complete inversion of the truth.

oh ffs

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

"Trump's team offered a weeklong extension"

It's not even an offer of a real extension, or even anything that would offer needed help. Its a bloomin week. 99% of people who need the benefit can probably string their creditors along for a week and then you can just have the real bill be $1200 for the week of August 7th, then $600 thereafter.

That really is nonsense. At least the headline should be

Headline: Trump Offers, Democrats Reject One Week Extension For $600 Jobless Benefit

ONE BLOODY WEEK.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular

It's not even an offer of a real extension, or even anything that would offer needed help. Its a bloomin week. 99% of people who need the benefit can probably string their creditors along for a week and then you can just have the real bill be $1200 for the week of August 7th, then $600 thereafter.

Headline: Trump Offers, Democrats Reject One Week Extension For $600 Jobless Benefit

ONE BLOODY WEEK.
    Yeah, "fix" is the most egregious part there IMO.

While the phrasing varies from agency to agency, few are much better.

Yahoo: "Democrats reject $600 benefit extension from White House, push for more"

CBS "Democrats reject White House offer for short-term extension of unemployment benefit"

As you say, the fact that the offer was for a single week should probably be in the headline, if the WH's offer is deemed worthy of a headline to begin with. Instead it's all "Democrats reject."

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    They kept on talking about an extension today like it hasn't already ended.

It is already too late to pass a one week extension and not have an interruption even if they wanted to.

• Options
    sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular

ONE BLOODY WEEK.

That’s honestly insane. Does anything think this is gonna get done in a week?

Also prolonging the terror probably isn’t great policy.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

ie - why Democratic leadership is very hestitent to take these kind of fights

• Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    State UI benefits aren't nimble enough to extend those additional payments for a single week anyway. They've already been shutoff and will take work to restart. Which is why you needed to have this figured out, oh, a couple months ago like the Dems did so you can avoid that disruption.

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Yeah 2 months to get an offer on the table by the senate and they get a maybe possibly dealish thing you might be able to vote on at some time in the future. Democrats cant have rejected a white house deal, nothing was actually on the table without the senate Republicans.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    A divided Republican Senate sure is a thing to see. So much to unpack there.

Would it be a good tactic for Senate Dems to try to negotiate with individual factions of Senate Republicans? I think
    it is, but I'm not sure.

Nobeard on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »

Would it be a good tactic for Senate Dems to try to negotiate with individual factions of Senate Republicans? I think
    it is, but I'm not sure.

It won't matter. Either McConnell is with them or he's not. Without him nothing will come to the floor for a vote.
    He's not.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

it is, but I'm not sure.

Probably not much good since McConnell decides what comes up for a vote and he won't put anything up without the approval of the White House

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »

it is, but I'm not sure.

It won't matter. Either McConnell is with them or he's not. Without him nothing will come to the floor for a vote.
    He's not.

Senate rules are simple majority. It's *extremely* unlikely but they are able to kick McConnell to the curb.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular

it is, but I'm not sure.

He's not.

Senate rules are simple majority. It's *extremely* unlikely but they are able to kick McConnell to the curb.

I mean...you only need 3 for Senate Majority Leader **shudders** Mitt Romney.

Better than McConnell.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular

it is, but I'm not sure.

He's not.

McConnell gets to decide what comes to the floor. Can't kick him to the curb.