As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hesher] Jazzmaster of Puppets

CampyCampy Registered User regular
edited April 2023 in Debate and/or Discourse
Here be the new thread for all the headbangers, heshers, metalheads and degenerate fucks out there

https://youtu.be/yuVmjv22Nqc

Some basic guidelines for people just joining up with us:

-we know that dethklok are the brutalest
-we know that Dragonforce are the noodliest
-we know that Opeth is some craaaazy shit, dog
-we know Varg Vikernes is crazy as fuck and totally stabbed a dude
-we know Behemoth has way too much money to make music videos
-we know Deathheaven isn't trve kvlt black metal
-we do, in fact, look down harshly upon Killswitch Engage

PA.fm 2007 review thread
Our first community review blog
July 06 to April 07
June to December 08
January 09 to May 09
May 09 to December 09
December 09 to May 10
May 10 to September 10
September 10 to July 11
July 11 to June 13
June 13 to September 15
Spetember 15 to July 17
July 17 to November 18
November 18 to July 20

Some homebrewed bands:
Bog Wizard (@UEAKCrash ): https://bogwizard.bandcamp.com/releases
Visigoth (@homeless ): https://visigothofficial.bandcamp.com/

From the Dust Returned
A ridiculously prolific blog of Metal reviews principally written by our very own @autothrall

Autothrall's Lists
Looking for metal recommendations? You can find everything from Abattoir to Zuriaake in here. Thrash, death, black, NWOBHM, doom: pick your poison and Auto will provide the good shit.

Most of this post was directly ripped off from @Fearmeister who ripped it off from @TerribleMisathrope who ripped it off from @LoveIsUnity who ripped it off from @Morgenstern.

Jacobkosh on

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    The last thread wasn't added to the links.

But mmm, new thread smell.

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    The last thread wasn't added to the links.

But mmm, new thread smell.

Ist done.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Beeeep Beeeep Beeeep, death is reversing:

https://youtu.be/pkpe-b9C4xE

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    New Hath album called Hive was released:
    https://youtu.be/90cfYKTw23U

edit: just realized this is actually their 2015 ep, it was just released on spotify. Still worth a listen though.

Dissociater on
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Some melodic black metal from Colombia, courtesy of Eshtadur.

https://youtu.be/OBgm7yCg99g

• EthelTheFrogEthelTheFrog Registered User regular
    Years from now, when we’re all long gone, there are going to be heshers spending pages of these forums debating why there’s a Paddington 2 link in the opening post of their new thread. I shall be chuckling from above (or below).

All these folks trying to be the Hiroo Onoda of the Loudness War...
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Jeez...there are a lot of people from the first metal thread who aren't active members of the forum anymore!

Years from now, when we’re all long gone, there are going to be heshers spending pages of these forums debating why there’s a Paddington 2 link in the opening post of their new thread. I shall be chuckling from above (or below).

Paddington 2 is fucking metal.

• Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    the re-release of clayman is amazing because they somehow created an album where only the choruses are good so i guess it's the lucky charms of melodic death albums everybody i don't think i set that up very well i mean like only the main thing is good nevermind im going to go die on a hostile alien planet

p.s. soulbound made my spirit transcend

Liquid Ghost on
    SteevL wrote: »
    Jeez...there are a lot of people from the first metal thread who aren't active members of the forum anymore!

Also: lots of myspace links since youtube wasn't around. Plus, it was a pre-Glorious Edict world, and it shows!

Anyway, I'm thankful for the existence of these threads. It's helped me discover so many more bands over the last few years, as well as revisit some I dismissed in my youth.

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

Also: lots of myspace links since youtube wasn't around. Plus, it was a pre-Glorious Edict world, and it shows!

Anyway, I'm thankful for the existence of these threads. It's helped me discover so many more bands over the last few years, as well as revisit some I dismissed in my youth.

Don't the metal threads go back earlier than those? I was an active member before I got accused of buying my music at Hot Topic (for liking In Flames, IIRC) and left in a huff. I guess all of the forum posts from before 2006 are lost in the ether.

• autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    When I first found these forums a few years back, I went through all the old threads collecting album/artist recommendations. There were threads on Last.fm that went back at least to early 2005 (maybe even earlier) if I remember correctly. Those have all been scrapped now (as you can see by following that first link in the list).

Also, @Campy, maybe change the opening video to something like the below to keep with the theme.
    https://youtu.be/PeaJ2pgKPjY

And, yes, I just went on the Metal Archives and searched for a song with "ist Krieg" in it.

EthelTheFrog on
    autothrall wrote: »
    From what I remember there would have been threads going back to around 2003 or 2004.

I was around on the forums then, but probably missed the thread. Not least by not recognising what it was; this remains the only place I know that uses the term "hesher".

Don't the metal threads go back earlier than those? I was an active member before I got accused of buying my music at Hot Topic (for liking In Flames, IIRC) and left in a huff. I guess all of the forum posts from before 2006 are lost in the ether.

I was definitely on the forums in the early 2000s (lurking as far back as 2002, not joining until 2 years later) and occasionally saw the metal threads, but I wasn't big into discovering new bands at the time. I don't think I started regularly reading them until this past decade. Your anecdote probably illustrates another reason why I didn't delve too much into the metal threads back then. :)

• Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

I was definitely on the forums in the early 2000s (lurking as far back as 2002, not joining until 2 years later) and occasionally saw the metal threads, but I wasn't big into discovering new bands at the time. I don't think I started regularly reading them until this past decade. Your anecdote probably illustrates another reason why I didn't delve too much into the metal threads back then. :)

The funny thing is I think I did actually buy Reroute to Remain at Hot Topic. :lol:

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

The funny thing is I think I did actually buy Reroute to Remain at Hot Topic. :lol:

If there was an In Flames album specitically made for the Hot Topic crew, it was that one.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Back in 2007 I saw a vinyl copy of Speak English or Die by Stormtroopers of Death at Hot Topic, and can you fucking imagine that today?

Kreutz on
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    I feel like 2005 had the original auto top 100 posts, but the thread existed at least a year before that.

If there was an In Flames album specitically made for the Hot Topic crew, it was that one.

Eh, I'd argue the next one, Soundtrack to Your Escape, was moreso that vein.

I still like Reroute to Remain. :P

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

I like Cloud Connected and Dawn of a New Day off Reroute, but I bounced real hard off the rest of it.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai

I like Cloud Connected and Dawn of a New Day off Reroute, but I bounced real hard off the rest of it.

Oh, I totally get why it turned a lot of people off, and it's a far cry from pretty much everything they did before it, but I don't know. There's something about it I dig. It's different, but decent in it's own right, IMO.

Yeah, I like his content. He's a memer, but he's funny and he has some chops.

Found this too from a different guy, this was really well put together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6LbpHt1gLM

edited July 2020
    Here's an epic cover for you, if you haven't seen it. Les from Primus, Bill from Mastodon, Danny from Tool, Steve from Mutoid Man/Cave In, and Claudio from Coheed & Cambria covering Rush. As tight as the band is (obviously), I was most blown away by Claudio's performance....wow, he killed this, I think he does it better than Geddy. Best 2 Minutes to Late Night I've seen, and I only see them because Steve is a townie of mine and always posts them on Facebook when he appears (or when you guys have posted them in the past thread).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fULwDbZ4iSU

autothrall on
  • CaptainBeyondCaptainBeyond I've been out walking Registered User regular
    Here's an epic cover for you, if you haven't seen it. Les from Primus, Bill from Mastodon, Danny from Tool, Steve from Mutoid Man/Cave In, and Claudio from Coheed & Cambria covering Rush. As tight as the band is (obviously), I was most blown away by Claudio's performance....wow, he killed this, I think he does it better than Geddy. Best 2 Minutes to Late Night I've seen, and I only see them because Steve is a townie of mine and always posts them on Facebook when he appears (or when you guys have posted them in the past thread).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fULwDbZ4iSU

He's had some trouble with is voice down the years, though he seems to be on top of it now. I've seen them twice, the first time he was a bit ropey and unwilling to commit, the second time a few years later was honestly the best vocal performance I've ever seen live.

That's such a bonkers line up for Two Minutes to Late Night. Any one of those players would have been an absolute windfall, but all of them at once... Crazy!

Holy hell that was great. I sat slack-jawed during all of "Fenris".

• XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    From what I remember there would have been threads going back to around 2003 or 2004.

I was around on the forums then, but probably missed the thread. Not least by not recognising what it was; this remains the only place I know that uses the term "hesher".

I lurked for a while years ago and had no idea there was a metal thread because I also didn't know what a hesher was and apparently didn't get whatever the subtitle was either.

Then one day I either recognized it and clicked on it or accidentally clicked on it, I forget. But I was pleased with the contents within. \m/

• FearmeisterFearmeister Registered User regular
    Holy hell, that was such a good show. I propose that all future live videos in the future be made in that style.

• flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    re: Hesher, has anyone seen this movie?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkKjafEIebw

It was pretty good!

On topic, Ihsahn commented on Tay Tay's black-metal-as-fuck new abum cover:
    swift-ihsahn-1595881660-640x1262.jpg

y59kydgzuja4.png
    edited July 2020
    LMFAO, how many bad vocal ideas can you have in a single song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQeSXA1D2mg

And if that doesn't crack you up, their System of a Down cover surely will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGsRTGMMonE

autothrall on
  • flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    Also I feel like this is the best new Mastodon song I've heard in a whiiiiiiile

https://youtu.be/LiXTJvnWA_4

y59kydgzuja4.png
    Also I feel like this is the best new Mastodon song I've heard in a whiiiiiiile

SNIPPETY SNIP

Man, what a surprise this song was. Seems like a mix of their old Remission style stuff, with the (IMO excellent) vocals from Brann & more rock inspired sound from their newer stuff and then a whole new bit to their sound at the end. Like a whole different guitar tone or something at the end there.

Definitely the most excited to hear a Mastodon album I've been in a while. And I say this as a rare fan of Once More 'Round the Sun.

• BlakoutBlakout Lordran's SpookylandRegistered User regular
    Xantomas wrote: »

I lurked for a while years ago and had no idea there was a metal thread because I also didn't know what a hesher was and apparently didn't get whatever the subtitle was either.

Then one day I either recognized it and clicked on it or accidentally clicked on it, I forget. But I was pleased with the contents within. \m/

IIRC the mods decided at one point to change Metal to Hesher as a joke and it just kinda stuck. Could be completely off-base though. I think I stumbled into the thread around 2005ish and dumped unsolicited bad opinions all over the place - nowadays I keep that to a minimum and just lurk.

I also just learned from the OP that Visigoth is a poster's band which is rad. One of my close friends independently discovered them a few years back and fell in love, which sent him on a heavy metal/power metal kick that's still going on.

This discussion has been closed.