[US Economy]-Covid-19 Depression? Edition, though not about Covid itself

1262729313234

Posts

  • OghulkOghulk Registered User regular
    The GOP has completely lost sight of what it means to actually govern and the presidency today really evinces that fact

    monikerGnome-Interruptusshrykeautono-wally, erotibot300Martini_PhilosopherZonugalOrcaMild ConfusionKarozJragghenKayne Red RobeTNTrooperGiantGeek2020TicaldfjambrynhrtmnBullheadMoridin889MillGennenalyse RuebenCommander ZoomSkeithL Ron HowardsanstodoNobeardLord_AsmodeusHavelock2.0AistanMunkus BeaverNightslyremp123boogedybooMatevRawkking GoodguyDiplominatorHefflingHacksawElldren
  • Emerlmaster999Emerlmaster999 Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    The GOP has completely lost sight of what it means to actually govern and the presidency today really evinces that fact

    Have they ever known how to govern, though?

  • daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    The GOP has completely lost sight of what it means to actually govern and the presidency today really evinces that fact

    Have they ever known how to govern, though?

    Less so this century, but previous Republican administrations have been depressingly effective at implementing their policies.

    Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    DoodmannMayabirdGnome-InterruptusshrykeZonugalOrcaJragghenGiantGeek2020a5ehrenbrynhrtmnBullheadMoridin889Gennenalyse RuebenSkeithL Ron HowardNobeardLord_AsmodeuspainfulPleasanceAistanNightslyremp123boogedybooRawkking GoodguyHacksawElldren
  • OghulkOghulk Registered User regular
    Also it's kind of hard to fathom what losing a third of the country's GDP will look like.

    You're talking about going back 20 to 30 years in terms of economic activity.

    monikerOrcaVishNubNightslyrMatev
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Also it's kind of hard to fathom what losing a third of the country's GDP will look like.

    Hoovervilles.

    Dark_SideBrainleechGnome-InterruptusMartini_PhilosopherSleepTicaldfjambrynhrtmnMoridin889Gennenalyse RuebenCommander ZoomSkeithL Ron HowardDavid WalgasHavelock2.0painfulPleasanceNightslyremp123MatevGimRawkking GoodguyMortal SkyHacksawElldren
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    I at least understand the logistics of the issues in the Senate but I can't for the life of me explain the White House. McConnell was really banking on having a unified GOP in the Senate to strong-arm the Democratic House but apparently far too many Senate Republicans are dead set against passing anything at all so he's stuck. But as the article cited points out, I definitely think Trump could save his reelection by pushing a bipartisan bill and there is no sense to what the White House is doing.

    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters
    Jragghen
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    I at least understand the logistics of the issues in the Senate but I can't for the life of me explain the White House. McConnell was really banking on having a unified GOP in the Senate to strong-arm the Democratic House but apparently far too many Senate Republicans are dead set against passing anything at all so he's stuck. But as the article cited points out, I definitely think Trump could save his reelection by pushing a bipartisan bill and there is no sense to what the White House is doing.

    My guess is Trump can't be bothered to really care meaning it falls to Kushner, Ivanka, Mnuchin, and ghouls like Miller to make a plan. Which they are incapable of doing.

    MayabirdShadowhopeSleepKarozshrykeL Ron HowardNightslyrMatevElldren
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Also it's kind of hard to fathom what losing a third of the country's GDP will look like.

    Hoovervilles.

    Looking forward to The Grapes of Wrath 2

  • Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Also it's kind of hard to fathom what losing a third of the country's GDP will look like.

    Hoovervilles.

    Looking forward to The Grapes of Wrath 2

    I was tempted to append the usual "Boogaloo", but that has more disturbing connotations right now. :(

    WinkythatassemblyguyMayabirdmonikerShadowhopeMild ConfusionKayne Red RobeMorganVGiantGeek2020brynhrtmnMillGennenalyse RuebenCommander ZoomCelestialBadgerStabbity StyleL Ron HowardNobeardFencingsaxLord_AsmodeusHavelock2.0SpoitkimeNightslyremp123boogedybooRawkking GoodguyHefflingMortal SkyImperfect
  • UrsusUrsus Registered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    moniker wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Also it's kind of hard to fathom what losing a third of the country's GDP will look like.

    Hoovervilles.

    Looking forward to The Grapes of Wrath 2

    The Wines of wrath?

    The Raisins of Wrath?

  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Also it's kind of hard to fathom what losing a third of the country's GDP will look like.

    Hoovervilles.

    Occupy Wallstreet v2

    This time with more evicted blue and white collar workers on layoffs

    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    Gonna be so cool watching the Millenials truly cement their position as a lost generation, with Gen Z getting thoroughly fucked too.

    This sucks, I know someone with a massage business they had just gotten fully off the ground and now they're completely fucked.

    thatassemblyguysanstodoSpoitNightslyrGimMortal Sky
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Colorful Extrovert Registered User regular




    NYT DC Bureau Chief.

    So the Senate GOP won't vote for anything that doesn't have a liability shield and about half the republican caucus won't vote for any enhanced UI benefits. The White House doesn't care about the liability shield and just wants UI and an eviction moratorium (reportedly, I think they just want anything to pass so they can call it a win). The Democrats want the Senate to vote on what the House already passed weeks ago. And in the middle of all of this the Senate shut down for the weekend and went home.

    What a fucking mess.

    Gnome-InterruptusMorganVMartini_PhilosopherthatassemblyguyL Ron HowardNobeardFencingsaxCalicakime38thDoeNightslyremp123MatevElldren
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »




    NYT DC Bureau Chief.

    So the Senate GOP won't vote for anything that doesn't have a liability shield and about half the republican caucus won't vote for any enhanced UI benefits. The White House doesn't care about the liability shield and just wants UI and an eviction moratorium (reportedly, I think they just want anything to pass so they can call it a win). The Democrats want the Senate to vote on what the House already passed weeks ago. And in the middle of all of this the Senate shut down for the weekend and went home.

    What a fucking mess.

    IRT that second tweet, it's clear that Trump's staff know the two things that keep this election from going from "Resounding defeat" to "Angry mob burns down White House with us inside before Halloween."

    I doubt Trump is on the same page.

    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    monikerzagdrobKayne Red RobeGnome-InterruptusGiantGeek2020Martini_PhilosopherbrynhrtmnshrykeMillGennenalyse RuebenCommander ZoomSkeithL Ron HowardNobeardFencingsaxNightslyremp123MatevBloodsheedHacksawElldren
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Normally it’s McConnell’s tactic to ignore the House bill, pass his own shitty one, then dismiss the Senate so that the House has no choice but to vote on the shitty Senate bill or watch the nation fall apart.

    Except there is no Senate bill, shitty or otherwise. Seems like a catastrophe is about to happen.

    steam_sig.png

    Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
    monikerOrcaKayne Red RobeMazzyxGnome-InterruptusGiantGeek2020RedTideKarozMartini_PhilosopherMvrckBullheadshrykeGennenalyse RuebenCommander ZoomButtersStabbity StyleL Ron HowardNobeardFencingsaxNightslyremp123Matevwebguy20HacksawElldren
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »
    I at least understand the logistics of the issues in the Senate but I can't for the life of me explain the White House. McConnell was really banking on having a unified GOP in the Senate to strong-arm the Democratic House but apparently far too many Senate Republicans are dead set against passing anything at all so he's stuck. But as the article cited points out, I definitely think Trump could save his reelection by pushing a bipartisan bill and there is no sense to what the White House is doing.

    My guess is Trump can't be bothered to really care meaning it falls to Kushner, Ivanka, Mnuchin, and ghouls like Miller to make a plan. Which they are incapable of doing.

    I think that one of the keys to understanding Trump is to understand that Sloth plays a major role in who he is (along with Pride, Lust, Wrath, Envy, Greed and Gluttony). Trump doesn’t want to be the Chief Executive. He wants to be the Emperor. He doesn’t want to do the hard work of reading reports and hearing experts and understanding data. That’s for lesser people. Trump wants to make statements, be applauded for them, and then have his minions bring his word to life in a way that makes him look good.

    This economy stuff is complicated and boring.

    Wash your hands like you've been cutting habaneros and need to put in your contacts.
    SleepmonikerBurnageGnome-InterruptusSmrtnikZonugalshrykeTcheldorGennenalyse RuebenCommander ZoomOremLKL Ron HowardNobeardFencingsaxCalicaTNTrooperscherbchenLord_AsmodeusCelestialBadgerNightslyrMatevBloodsheedwebguy20HefflingImperfectHacksawElldren
  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I hate living through history. Interesting times indeed.

    It's just so frustrating that while the pandemic is inevitably going to be a disruptive problem, the Republicans over and over keep doing the stupidest and worst possible things. They refuse any of the easy outs or low hanging wins for no good reason.

    It's like a murder-suicide pact that the American people don't want to be part of but have no way out of.

    OrcaGnome-InterruptusGiantGeek2020monikerMayabirdKraintDiannaoChongsee317Emerlmaster999Gennenalyse RuebenCommander ZoomLucedesL Ron HowardDavid WalgasFencingsaxHavelock2.0Lord_AsmodeusNightslyremp123MatevPenumbraHefflingImperfect
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    I hate living through history. Interesting times indeed.

    It's just so frustrating that while the pandemic is inevitably going to be a disruptive problem, the Republicans over and over keep doing the stupidest and worst possible things. They refuse any of the easy outs or low hanging wins for no good reason.

    It's like a murder-suicide pact that the American people don't want to be part of but have no way out of.

    I think its difficult somehow for them to understand quite how bad for the economy a truly unconstrained outbreak would be. Even if you could magically get 70% of consumers to ignore it, the remaining 30% would avoid all discretionary spending or activities outside the home. Which is a catastrophic recession all by itself.

    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    SleepKayne Red RobeGnome-InterruptusmonikerMvrckGennenalyse RuebenCommander ZoomL Ron HowardNobeardFencingsaxelectricitylikesmeNightslyremp123
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    zagdrob wrote: »
    I hate living through history. Interesting times indeed.

    It's just so frustrating that while the pandemic is inevitably going to be a disruptive problem, the Republicans over and over keep doing the stupidest and worst possible things. They refuse any of the easy outs or low hanging wins for no good reason.

    It's like a murder-suicide pact that the American people don't want to be part of but have no way out of.

    I think its difficult somehow for them to understand quite how bad for the economy a truly unconstrained outbreak would be. Even if you could magically get 70% of consumers to ignore it, the remaining 30% would avoid all discretionary spending or activities outside the home. Which is a catastrophic recession all by itself.

    Look, we're just voting for everything to go back to normal immediately

    The virus is going to have to just go along with whatever we vote for

    KarozShadowhopeCommander ZoomGnome-InterruptusL Ron HowardCaptain InertiaFencingsaxCelestialBadgerNightslyrImperfect
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Washington Post reporter:
    CNBC running a segment now advising people who are losing their unemployment benefits to "make ends meet" by "following a pandemic budget;" contact "lenders and creditors" for help; and "post your skills" on Nextdoor, Instagram & Facebook
    Are they trying to get people to get the guillotines out?

    Special KTicaldfjamMillGennenalyse RuebenLucedesMazzyxIncenjucarEmerlmaster999brynhrtmnmonikerDee KaeZonugalBullheadL Ron HowardCelestialBadgerBurnageMild ConfusionNobeardFencingsaxMoridin889Havelock2.0kimeKraintTNTrooperLord_AsmodeusNightslyremp123MatevGimBloodsheedMrVyngaardwebguy20HefflingMortal SkyHacksawElldren
  • Special KSpecial K Registered User regular
    Why not try selling your organs, or an irritating child?

    OrcaTicaldfjamGennenalyse RuebenCommander ZoomGiantGeek2020brynhrtmnGnome-InterruptusDee KaeZonugalL Ron HowardTetraNitroCubaneMild ConfusionNobeardFencingsaxMoridin889Havelock2.0ToxkimepainfulPleasanceTNTrooperLord_AsmodeusCelestialBadgerNightslyremp123MatevGimMrVyngaardwebguy20HefflingMortal SkyHacksawElldren
  • DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    A person that has no idea what poverty or need is:
    "Just use the job cannon stupid."

    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Torchlight | Steam | ART
    TicaldfjamGennenalyse RuebenPhoenix-DSleepLucedesthatassemblyguyEmerlmaster999brynhrtmnmonikerGnome-InterruptusStabbity StyleDee KaeZonugalBullheadL Ron HowardsanstodoCaptain InertiaNobeardBrainleechFencingsaxMoridin889Havelock2.0EinzelToxkimepainfulPleasanceLord_AsmodeusNightslyrDuke 2.0emp123MatevBloodsheedwebguy20HefflingMortal SkyHacksawElldren
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Washington Post reporter:
    CNBC running a segment now advising people who are losing their unemployment benefits to "make ends meet" by "following a pandemic budget;" contact "lenders and creditors" for help; and "post your skills" on Nextdoor, Instagram & Facebook
    Are they trying to get people to get the guillotines out?

    CNBC is written very much for the investor class. So this type of "let them eat cake" mentality makes sense.

    03x29di.png
    TicaldfjamthatassemblyguyGiantGeek2020SleepCommander ZoombrynhrtmnmonikerGnome-InterruptusStabbity StyleL Ron HowardCelestialBadgerFencingsaxMoridin889Havelock2.0painfulPleasanceTNTrooperNightslyremp123KetBraBloodsheedMortal SkyHacksawElldren
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited July 31
    Remember the courthouse eviction protest from a few days ago?



    Local lawyer that pushed through the lines.

    I wonder how many evictions went ahead because the renters couldn't get in to defend themselves :/ Seems like they should have postponed all cases, letting a case go through when one side is physically prevented from entering is BS

    (Also worth noting they *did* let her through even of the video doesn't show that well)

    Phoenix-D on
    Gnome-InterruptusshrykeBullheadEncNobeardFencingsaxCalicaMartini_PhilosopherkimeTNTrooperNightslyr
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Today in the media is conservatively biased in an absolutely horrific way:

    https://hosted.ap.org/standardspeaker/article/6547ff6300f7540c376ed92728ac0739/stakes-rise-virus-talks-jobless-aid-lapses-gdp-drops

    Headline: Trump Offers, Democrats Reject Fix For $600 Jobless Benefit

    That's the AP, that story gets farmed out to hundreds of papers and TV stations across the country. And the headline that is all most people will see is a complete inversion of the truth.

    Herbert Hoover got 40% of the vote in 1932. Friendly reminder.
    Warren 2020
    DoodmannCommander ZoomCelestialBadgerL Ron HowardJragghenGiantGeek2020Stabbity StyleGnome-InterruptusSmrtnikshrykemonikerNobeardPhoenix-DFencingsaxCalicaMillDee KaeSkeithZonugalKraintTNTrooperIncenjucarLord_AsmodeusNightslyrBullheademp123TicaldfjamMrVyngaardHacksawElldren
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Remember the courthouse eviction protest from a few days ago?



    Local lawyer that pushed through the lines.

    I wonder how many evictions went ahead because the renters couldn't get in to defend themselves :/ Seems like they should have postponed all cases, letting a case go through when one side is physically prevented from entering is BS

    (Also worth noting they *did* let her through even of the video doesn't show that well)

    I don't. What are you talking about?

    V wrote:
    Words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth.

    DiannaoChong
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Today in the media is conservatively biased in an absolutely horrific way:

    https://hosted.ap.org/standardspeaker/article/6547ff6300f7540c376ed92728ac0739/stakes-rise-virus-talks-jobless-aid-lapses-gdp-drops

    Headline: Trump Offers, Democrats Reject Fix For $600 Jobless Benefit

    That's the AP, that story gets farmed out to hundreds of papers and TV stations across the country. And the headline that is all most people will see is a complete inversion of the truth.

    oh ffs

    steam_sig.png
    Steam, Warframe: Megajoule
    L Ron HowardJragghenGiantGeek2020Stabbity StyleGnome-InterruptusmonikerVoid SlayerCelestialBadgerNobeardPhoenix-DFencingsaxCalicaLucedesMartini_PhilosopherSkeithHavelock2.0brynhrtmnZonugalSpoitkimepainfulPleasanceKraint38thDoeTNTrooperIncenjucarLord_AsmodeusKamarNightslyrBullheademp123TicaldfjamMatevFoolOnTheHillMrVyngaardwebguy20Rawkking GoodguyDark Raven XHefflingHacksawElldren
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Today in the media is conservatively biased in an absolutely horrific way:

    https://hosted.ap.org/standardspeaker/article/6547ff6300f7540c376ed92728ac0739/stakes-rise-virus-talks-jobless-aid-lapses-gdp-drops

    Headline: Trump Offers, Democrats Reject Fix For $600 Jobless Benefit

    That's the AP, that story gets farmed out to hundreds of papers and TV stations across the country. And the headline that is all most people will see is a complete inversion of the truth.

    "Trump's team offered a weeklong extension"

    It's not even an offer of a real extension, or even anything that would offer needed help. Its a bloomin week. 99% of people who need the benefit can probably string their creditors along for a week and then you can just have the real bill be $1200 for the week of August 7th, then $600 thereafter.

    That really is nonsense. At least the headline should be

    Headline: Trump Offers, Democrats Reject One Week Extension For $600 Jobless Benefit

    ONE BLOODY WEEK.

    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    GiantGeek2020Commander ZoomJragghenmonikerFencingsaxMoridin889SkeithTNTrooperNightslyremp123TicaldfjamMatevElldren
  • KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Today in the media is conservatively biased in an absolutely horrific way:

    https://hosted.ap.org/standardspeaker/article/6547ff6300f7540c376ed92728ac0739/stakes-rise-virus-talks-jobless-aid-lapses-gdp-drops

    Headline: Trump Offers, Democrats Reject Fix For $600 Jobless Benefit

    That's the AP, that story gets farmed out to hundreds of papers and TV stations across the country. And the headline that is all most people will see is a complete inversion of the truth.

    "Trump's team offered a weeklong extension"

    It's not even an offer of a real extension, or even anything that would offer needed help. Its a bloomin week. 99% of people who need the benefit can probably string their creditors along for a week and then you can just have the real bill be $1200 for the week of August 7th, then $600 thereafter.

    That really is nonsense. At least the headline should be

    Headline: Trump Offers, Democrats Reject One Week Extension For $600 Jobless Benefit

    ONE BLOODY WEEK.
    Yeah, "fix" is the most egregious part there IMO.

    While the phrasing varies from agency to agency, few are much better.

    Yahoo: "Democrats reject $600 benefit extension from White House, push for more"

    CBS "Democrats reject White House offer for short-term extension of unemployment benefit"

    As you say, the fact that the offer was for a single week should probably be in the headline, if the WH's offer is deemed worthy of a headline to begin with. Instead it's all "Democrats reject."

    CelestialBadgerFencingsaxGiantGeek2020Gnome-InterruptusShadowhopeL Ron HowardNightslyrElldren
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    They kept on talking about an extension today like it hasn't already ended.

    It is already too late to pass a one week extension and not have an interruption even if they wanted to.

    Phoenix-DFencingsaxElldren
  • sanstodosanstodo Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »
    Today in the media is conservatively biased in an absolutely horrific way:

    https://hosted.ap.org/standardspeaker/article/6547ff6300f7540c376ed92728ac0739/stakes-rise-virus-talks-jobless-aid-lapses-gdp-drops

    Headline: Trump Offers, Democrats Reject Fix For $600 Jobless Benefit

    That's the AP, that story gets farmed out to hundreds of papers and TV stations across the country. And the headline that is all most people will see is a complete inversion of the truth.

    "Trump's team offered a weeklong extension"

    It's not even an offer of a real extension, or even anything that would offer needed help. Its a bloomin week. 99% of people who need the benefit can probably string their creditors along for a week and then you can just have the real bill be $1200 for the week of August 7th, then $600 thereafter.

    That really is nonsense. At least the headline should be

    Headline: Trump Offers, Democrats Reject One Week Extension For $600 Jobless Benefit

    ONE BLOODY WEEK.

    That’s honestly insane. Does anything think this is gonna get done in a week?

    Also prolonging the terror probably isn’t great policy.

  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Today in the media is conservatively biased in an absolutely horrific way:

    https://hosted.ap.org/standardspeaker/article/6547ff6300f7540c376ed92728ac0739/stakes-rise-virus-talks-jobless-aid-lapses-gdp-drops

    Headline: Trump Offers, Democrats Reject Fix For $600 Jobless Benefit

    That's the AP, that story gets farmed out to hundreds of papers and TV stations across the country. And the headline that is all most people will see is a complete inversion of the truth.

    ie - why Democratic leadership is very hestitent to take these kind of fights

    CelestialBadgerFencingsaxjmcdonaldGnome-InterruptusL Ron HowardTicaldfjam
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    State UI benefits aren't nimble enough to extend those additional payments for a single week anyway. They've already been shutoff and will take work to restart. Which is why you needed to have this figured out, oh, a couple months ago like the Dems did so you can avoid that disruption.

    shrykeCommander ZoomSleepCouscousFencingsaxGnome-InterruptusOneAngryPossumVeagleTNTrooperNightslyrL Ron Howardemp123Rawkking GoodguyButtersElldren
  • Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Yeah 2 months to get an offer on the table by the senate and they get a maybe possibly dealish thing you might be able to vote on at some time in the future. Democrats cant have rejected a white house deal, nothing was actually on the table without the senate Republicans.

    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    edited July 31
    A divided Republican Senate sure is a thing to see. So much to unpack there.

    Would it be a good tactic for Senate Dems to try to negotiate with individual factions of Senate Republicans? I think
    it is, but I'm not sure.

    Nobeard on
    I'm not saying we are going to have an autocratic dystopia, but things keep happening that look like they come from an autocratic dystopia.
  • MvrckMvrck Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    A divided Republican Senate sure is a thing to see. So much to unpack there.

    Would it be a good tactic for Senate Dems to try to negotiate with individual factions of Senate Republicans? I think
    it is, but I'm not sure.

    It won't matter. Either McConnell is with them or he's not. Without him nothing will come to the floor for a vote.
    He's not.

    PwH4Ipj.jpg
    Commander ZoomGnome-InterruptusKarozTicaldfjamElldren
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Colorful Extrovert Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    A divided Republican Senate sure is a thing to see. So much to unpack there.

    Would it be a good tactic for Senate Dems to try to negotiate with individual factions of Senate Republicans? I think
    it is, but I'm not sure.

    Probably not much good since McConnell decides what comes up for a vote and he won't put anything up without the approval of the White House

  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Nobeard wrote: »
    A divided Republican Senate sure is a thing to see. So much to unpack there.

    Would it be a good tactic for Senate Dems to try to negotiate with individual factions of Senate Republicans? I think
    it is, but I'm not sure.

    It won't matter. Either McConnell is with them or he's not. Without him nothing will come to the floor for a vote.
    He's not.

    Senate rules are simple majority. It's *extremely* unlikely but they are able to kick McConnell to the curb.

  • zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Nobeard wrote: »
    A divided Republican Senate sure is a thing to see. So much to unpack there.

    Would it be a good tactic for Senate Dems to try to negotiate with individual factions of Senate Republicans? I think
    it is, but I'm not sure.

    It won't matter. Either McConnell is with them or he's not. Without him nothing will come to the floor for a vote.
    He's not.

    Senate rules are simple majority. It's *extremely* unlikely but they are able to kick McConnell to the curb.

    I mean...you only need 3 for Senate Majority Leader **shudders** Mitt Romney.

    Better than McConnell.

    Ticaldfjam
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Mvrck wrote: »
    Nobeard wrote: »
    A divided Republican Senate sure is a thing to see. So much to unpack there.

    Would it be a good tactic for Senate Dems to try to negotiate with individual factions of Senate Republicans? I think
    it is, but I'm not sure.

    It won't matter. Either McConnell is with them or he's not. Without him nothing will come to the floor for a vote.
    He's not.

    Senate rules are simple majority. It's *extremely* unlikely but they are able to kick McConnell to the curb.

    McConnell gets to decide what comes to the floor. Can't kick him to the curb.

Sign In or Register to comment.