As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC Games - Street Power Football and No Straight Roads out today!

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Blasphemous is getting free DLC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QdGzJhunb4
    CAN PET DOGE

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    AC Odyssey's name generator fascinates me. Mixed in with Philoxenos and Xanthippos are names that have a modern sheen: Agnes; Chloe; Lydia; Doris; Sophia.

just wish Theron would pop back up (in the right spot). I'm getting a bit tired of the loading screens as I zip between Elysium and Greece to repopulate the point of interest.

I don't suppose anyone is in contact with the sort of people who dig into save files for fun? I'm not adverse to altering the bit or byte that says he's dead.

Tamin on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    So if you own Far Cry 5 and you're thinking "hey maybe I should give the DLC a play through, see if it's fun", I cannot stress strongly enough that no, you should ignore the zombie DLC pack, it's fucking interminable dross.

The character driving the story is the douchebag z-grade movie director and it's literally just "get zerg rushed over and over and over again by 'zombie-ish' mobs" in all 7 chapters of the pack.

I got to the point where I just gave up and force-closed the game in the middle of a mission because it was somehow boring and stupid and frustrating all at the same time.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Blasphemous is maaaaaaaybe my favorite Metroidvania?

I really, really dug that game

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFkkgU29QKU
    Cook, Serve, Delicious! 3?!'s final content update is out, with the full 1.0 launch later this year. This adds the final zone to the game, the Iron Cook Speedway, with unique gameplay systems and challenges, featuring commentary from longtime series fans and LPers Northernlion and Kate LovelyMomo.

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I started a sandbox game in The Long Dark and really wanted to see the town they added

But that seemed not exciting enough, so I spawned at a random location (Desolation Point) and decided to trek there

With the new boiling mechanics, water in toilets is a godsend

It's also summer here and just looking at my character underneath all those layers of clothing is making me sweat

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    All of those names are New Testament or earlier Greek names except Sophia, which is Greek but a quick search suggests its 4th Century AD.

The question perhaps becomes why Greek female names have persisted more than male names....

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Oh many of them were the names of early Christian martyrs, in the bible itself you find more male than female names

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    I started a sandbox game in The Long Dark and really wanted to see the town they added

But that seemed not exciting enough, so I spawned at a random location (Desolation Point) and decided to trek there

It's also summer here and just looking at my character underneath all those layers of clothing is making me sweat

this is really quite a sentence

• Options
    VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I'm looking for a game that has

would you also like a pony

if the game has ponies that is a definite bonus

I think the game that's coming closest to what I'm looking for in spirit might be Beyond Good and Evil.

Shame they're never going to make a sequel to that.

How about Heaven's Vault?

It's not first person. Focused on exploring places to unlock more knowledge of the story. No combat, and the only thing you are collecting are words and artifacts that directly build the narrative. Takes about 15-20 hours. You play as a non-white lady.

Playing through it brought back a lot of memories of BG&E for me.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Oh yeah Heaven's Vault is great, everyone play Heaven's Vault

• Options
    Talos Principle has a 3rd person mode, yeah? That game looks pretty and has a nice leisurely pace and no combat at all

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Cook, Serve, Delicious! 3?!'s final content update is out, with the full 1.0 launch later this year. This adds the final zone to the game, the Iron Cook Speedway, with unique gameplay systems and challenges, featuring commentary from longtime series fans and LPers Northernlion and Kate LovelyMomo.

https://youtu.be/3ZOLFTeKFWE

Food truck combat brought this to mind

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Platy wrote: »

this is really quite a sentence

The Long Dark posits that water in a toilet never goes rotten, never needs to be boiled, just glug that good stuff down straight from the tit as it were

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

High production values
    Not First Person
    Focus on narrative, exploration and adventure
    Not as focused on combat, gear or collectibles
    Can be an open world game, but preferably a shorter 20-30hr game instead of a 100+ hour grindfest
    Preferably lets you make your own character or has a non-white-dude main character

The closest I can think of are the new Tomb Raider games, but they're pretty combat heavy, and Prince of Persia Sands of Time / PoP 2008, but those are both over a decade old at this point.

Would Horizon Zero Dawn fit the bill? I don't know how much combat is in that.

Journey is the only one I can think of offhand that isn't disqualified for one of those reasons.

Yonder The Cloud Catcher Chronicles sort of counts, it's open world and there's a lot to do but you never really have to do anything you don't enjoy.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    There honestly aren't words for how much I absolutely love that Shenmue 3 essentially doesn't even move the story forward, and Yu Suzuki was talking about how there were at least four more entries or whatever

It is the perfect ending to this story, even if it doesn't even come close to ending Shenmue's internal narrative

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

High production values
    Not First Person
    Can be an open world game, but preferably a shorter 20-30hr game instead of a 100+ hour grindfest
    Preferably lets you make your own character or has a non-white-dude main character

The closest I can think of are the new Tomb Raider games, but they're pretty combat heavy, and Prince of Persia Sands of Time / PoP 2008, but those are both over a decade old at this point.

Maybe...?

Telltale's The Walking Dead
    Pyre
    Steamworld Dig 2
    Donut County
    Epistory
    LIMBO/INSIDE
    Thomas Was Alone
    Abzu

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    The Long Dark gets way less exciting once I'm geared

I wonder if I should've chosen Interloper difficulty instead of Stalker but I really wanted to see the revolver

Also I assume Interloper has an absolutely ridiculous number of wolves

Platy on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    PEInpJB.jpg

sigh

• Options
    Not only is that gonna be misogynistic edgelord shovelware bullshit

They also just left "Simpulator" sitting on the table

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular

Might not have showed up in 'related' for all the X simulator games if it wasn't in the title

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBrYKRh6Eeg

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

would you also like a pony

if the game has ponies that is a definite bonus

I think the game that's coming closest to what I'm looking for in spirit might be Beyond Good and Evil.

Shame they're never going to make a sequel to that.

lol

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I mean, if it's of the same animation style and quality as that pre-rendered trailer, it will probably be fucking fantastic.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I mean, if it's of the same animation style and quality as that pre-rendered trailer, it will probably be fucking fantastic.

Yeah, the game play of the first game wasn't even that great

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Picked this up yesterday and it's crazy fun, but spectacularly stressful just like the first one; haven't played the second (as I hear it's not as good).

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    brolo this is going to sound like a joke but you might like shenmue

Hmm, this is for a friend who has built their first gaming PC. Last gaming console was a GameCube, but I sorta doubt they would have heard of Shenmue 1, let alone played it.

Would you have to know the story of the first Shenmue games to have fun with Shenmue 3? Also is it as janky as those first games? I'd like to avoid frustration/tedium where possible.

Do not buy Shenmue

Yakuza is shenmue if shenmue was developed well

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    well, ish

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

after British toy company Smyths leaked that info in a contest earlier today, 343 just came out and announced it pretty dang quick

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    well, ish

Oh very ish. But it's a good description of you only know shenmue

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

High production values
    Not First Person

Murdered: Soul Suspect

(edit: incidentally it's literally $2 on Steam right now)

Donnicton on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'm currently playing through the isometric Fallouts because someone posted Too Much Future, a very good playthrough YouTube series.

I'm most of the way through Fallout 2, and mostly I'm ashamed that anyone my age got into PC games in the first place. This is just a disgraceful experience.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I had been thinking of (re) playing them myself before I listened to the podcast and it thankfully slapped that idea right out of my head

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I ate an engineer
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    The dick is a 9x9x9 cube

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    an 18" dick is some king midas level cursed shit

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Wonder how big a dong would have to be to exsanguinate it’s wielder upon erection.

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    I really liked Plague Tale a whole bunch because it's actually kinda high budget YA and you don't often get a heap of that in games

Also, there really isn't much of any bubonic plague going on. It's just thousands of rats eating stuff.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I'm currently playing through the isometric Fallouts because someone posted Too Much Future, a very good playthrough YouTube series.

I'm most of the way through Fallout 2, and mostly I'm ashamed that anyone my age got into PC games in the first place. This is just a disgraceful experience.
    I'm curious what about it is turning you off. Fallout 1 was my first full-on RPG (I'd played Diablo 1 before that, which I guess introduced me to stats and stuff), and spread through me like the liquor-granted warmth on a chill autumn day. I absorbed Fallout 2 as quickly as I could, and those games are extremely fundamental to my adolescence. I think its fair to say that I'm not exactly objective about it, so I'm curious what isn't clicking for you.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Wonder how big a dong would have to be to exsanguinate it’s wielder upon erection.

Well let's see. Say a human has 5 liters of blood. It's possible for a blood pressure drop of just 20 mmHg to cause fainting, say from a systolic BP of 110 to 90. That's a drop of 18%, so we'll say that 18% of the blood volume was diverted. 0.18*5000 ml = 900 ml diverted blood. So, a little bit smaller than a regular Nalgene bottle.

*envelope math does not account for other effects on blood pressure and is wildly inaccurate. Whatever.

Tynnan on
This discussion has been closed.