As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tabletop Games are RADch

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I believe you can also use angel blood to make tequila

I have not actually played the game yet, and it's not even fully released, but it is really swinging for the fences with its anti-colonial fantasy

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I discovered that there used to be an old Indiana Jones RPG. I love Indiana Jones!

qzjxwqjnb0ug.jpg

Well that's kind of neat, I wonder what it invol....ohhh noooooooo!

tcweesvt98t0.png

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Whoops, burn that immediately.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Wow, I had to tug my collar six times reading that encounter chart.

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    And this why someone needs to make a stealth sequel to Indiana Jones about an Indian archeologist robbing an American museum.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    And this why someone needs to make a stealth sequel to Indiana Jones about an Indian archeologist robbing an American museum.

Hey, now. Indy
    returns the one stone he can save to Mayapore!

There's a lot to dislike about Temple of Doom but that part is a plus.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Yeah I mean, Indie is an okay guy, just a figure of his time. Did I mention this would have dance numbers, as all good Indian films do?

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    I presume BK is some sort of CON/HP stat, Ismali is jacked. And I feel the strength of a kangaroo is a bit understatted, there.

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »
    admanb wrote: »
    LANCER, I'm assuming.

You are correct, my friend.

How dare you bring that in here when mine hasn't shipped yet

right

this is cruelty

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    So for the past more than a year I've had a regular group of now-ex-classmates along with my significant other playing a DND campaign. The DM is amazing (he's a speechwriter), but we stopped playing that campaign because he doesn't like to do DND over video/VOIP. Get that, respect it, so we just finished up a shorter-run of Quest. Was a lot of fun, and now we're taking a month off before I start a campaign. Been working through the story, created a map of the region, set down the history and am gonna spend the rest of the weekend writing other parts of the story. Any tips?

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    So for the past more than a year I've had a regular group of now-ex-classmates along with my significant other playing a DND campaign. The DM is amazing (he's a speechwriter), but we stopped playing that campaign because he doesn't like to do DND over video/VOIP. Get that, respect it, so we just finished up a shorter-run of Quest. Was a lot of fun, and now we're taking a month off before I start a campaign. Been working through the story, created a map of the region, set down the history and am gonna spend the rest of the weekend writing other parts of the story. Any tips?

Dungeon World has good guidelines for collaborative storytelling. "Draw maps, leave blank spaces" is the opening maxim. Develop a map for the region, develop some history, but intentionally leave gaps in both to allow players to fill them in during character creation and play. When a player asks you a question about the history of a ruin or a detail about a settlement, turn the question around on them and ask them what their character has heard about it, or if they've heard a legend about it, etc.

• Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Your players will always be more clever than you, steal their ideas and act like you intended it all along. Assuming there is some suspension of disbelief you will come off like you were brilliant.

As an example, through improv we ended up with the PCs in a frog person swamp town where the bugs had gone away. I as the GM had NO clue how they might solve this, though I had some vague ideas as to what had happened. But when one of the players was like, "Oh I can make light, if I climb up their totem pole and make the top glow, would that attract bugs?"
    Fuck YES that will work AND as a bonus I know the way it's written that spell doesn't work when you aren't near it, so they did it, bugs came back, frogs rejoiced, and once the PC's got far enough away the light flickered out, bugs left and now a horde of frog people are chasing them.

All I had known going in was there were frog people in the swamp that people were disappearing into.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I add a lot of stuff I had not originally planned to because one of my players wondered out loud "I wonder if [X]" or "I bet this is [Y]" and I think oh, that's a good idea, yes that's now true, thank you player.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Like as an example, in the current game I run my players have been tasked by the Lady of Pain with chasing down a Bhaalite cult that's trying to start shit in Sigil (she doesn't feel like doing it herself, shutup). They've managed to figure out they're buying up lots of houses in a particular part of the city. My thoughts on this had been that they're just making false leads and only one or two will actually be used as a base of operations for the cult.

One of my players was like "we need a map, I bet they're forming a symbol of Bhaal" and the party spent the next two hours trying to figure out how to map the area. That idea hadn't even occurred to me but it rules, you bet your ass that's what the cult is doing now.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I add a lot of stuff I had not originally planned to because one of my players wondered out loud "I wonder if [X]" or "I bet this is [Y]" and I think oh, that's a good idea, yes that's now true, thank you player.

Yeah, I'm running Stars Without Number at the moment, which has a lot of excellent build-a-skeleton tools.

I've been letting my players do a lot of the fleshing-out, though, based on their own goals.

"Where can we make money off an image of this alien ship's operating system?" is about to lead them to the Grand Computatron's planet, run by a global AI known for being extremely friendly. So friendly that the natives of a nearby planet fear it's trying to control their minds.

What they find when they get there is going to depend entirely on how they choose to approach contacting it, though.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options

Fun story, at the beginning of the campaign (that we didn't finish) I was a murderous asshole that kept chopping people's heads off and keeping them as treasures. One of them, Ned (or was it Ted) had a brother named Ted (or was it Ned). The brother joined our party for a little while then parted ways.

Much later on in the story we're before a committee to decide on something for us, and someone in the audience yells out against us and someone in the group said "I bet it's fucking Ted (or was it Ned)"

DM went with it.

I then threw his brother's head at him for speaking against us and started a fight.

• Options
    It's almost like tabletop games work way better when treated as collaborative storytelling instead of The DM's Interactive Novel!

• Options
    So I think my setup is this.

I've got the world set out in general terms. Lots of blank space to potentially fill in. The backstory of the land is set and provides some impetus for the players when they first start out. I've got action that happens early on to spur them after a quest or two and the broad strokes of things will learn that changes what they thought they knew about the backstory. First session or two will be a "quest" in the starting area and they'll stumble upon some bit of information, after which the beginning action occurs and then I can kind of go from there.

• Options
    It's almost like tabletop games work way better when treated as collaborative storytelling instead of The DM's Interactive Novel!

I was talking to someone recently about running games and mentioned I'm currently playing a game with no prep and no dice, they looked at me like I had three heads. But I will aboslutely go to the mat for "Adult pretend with more rules"

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I love table top games. Were only a few weeks from my wife's game starting, and she wanted everyone to have a keepsake from their father that will play into the story.

Two years ago when we invited two of our other players they barely understood D&D and one whom I've known since the first grade, really just seemed to be going along with it because her husband wanted to play and it was a social activity.

Now shes created a Bear-Shifter Barbarian from the frozen north who has a tattoo made of her fathers blood that pulses in her arm when someone in her bloodline is in danger. Her husband is playing a lady druid who has a magic luck mushroom encased in never melting ice she wears as a necklace. My best friend (our other player) specifically asked she not show me his stuff, but he sent over 10 pages of backstory. 10 pages!!!

I am just loving this.

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular

I was talking to someone recently about running games and mentioned I'm currently playing a game with no prep and no dice, they looked at me like I had three heads. But I will aboslutely go to the mat for "Adult pretend with more rules"

Really? I only got into it for the sweet, sweet Satanic powers.

0046_03.gif

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Sometimes I feel a bit wistful and sad about all the friends I've had to cut ties with because I killed them in my D&D game, but hell, that's how Gary did it back in the day so that's how I'm gonna do it now.

• Options
    You cut ties with them? I've killed everyone who dies in a D&D game.

...is that not the intention?

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    My copy of Lancer is in Detroit

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    You cut ties with them? I've killed everyone who dies in a D&D game.

...is that not the intention?
    I said "killed them in my D&D game", but I guess I forgot to mention that it was a LARP.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Uriel wrote: »
    My copy of Lancer is in Detroit

Throwing a copy of Lancer at the police is probably one of the greatest praises the devs could want

Duke 2.0 on
    VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    God damn Hero Forge is impressing me lately. Just checked in and now they've got an option for a relaxed grip on weapons, new completely oversized "epic weapons", and even a new section for facial and bellybutton piercings.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

About the only kind of prep heavy game I dig are heist style games like Shadowrun or Infinity. Where the enjoyment is partially in dumping a (decently) designed puzzle box of security and story infront of the players and watching them bumble through exactly what's going on and how to deal with it.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I only run prep heavy games

And if my players want to be "collaborative" and "contribute" they can fuck right off

I'll give them what they need, and what they need is both brutal and heinous

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I am not sure some 5e lifers have ever considered an alternative to prep heavy

I was in a Dragon Heist campaign that wrapped up, and I ran Boy Problems as a one shot for the campaign while the DM figured out what to do next, and me going “okay, so, describe where you’re meeting up” made the entire group sit up and take a breath

I don’t think any of them had ever heard a DM tell them as players to create a location!

• Options
    I'm just too scatterbrained and inclined to "just do the thing" to deal with high prep on either side very well.

• Options
    SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Interestingly I had almost an opposite effect. I had a a player who was a hobgoblin and I asked her to how hobgoblin society and the magic college she attended we're like. And after the session she told me that she did not like being expected to come up with lore on the fly. She found it stressful to contribute anything besides what actions her character was making.

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • Options
    Snowbear wrote: »
    Interestingly I had almost an opposite effect. I had a a player who was a hobgoblin and I asked her to how hobgoblin society and the magic college she attended we're like. And after the session she told me that she did not like being expected to come up with lore on the fly. She found it stressful to contribute anything besides what actions her character was making.

This is also of course a legit way to play, just not my personal pref.

• Options
    I love getting folks involved, but yes, if they’re stumped I’ll work with them or fall back on explaining it myself.

I like to lay a solid foundation like “The land has fallen into perpetual night; we’re gonna be playing basically Dark Souls” or “Here’s a quick primer on the cultures of this nation, say where you’re from and why you’ve joined the hero’s academy” and going from there.

I don’t expect them to decide how many moons the world has, but they get to make their home town, know a NPC connection they make up on the fly and expand on things as they come up, like the Fighter knowing what orcs generally wield in battle.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Snowbear wrote: »

I absolutely have played with someone who does not find the creative part fun but does enjoy the act of playing RPGs.

It's one of those things where it's fine (unless it's a heavily narrative game) but needs people to just be aware of what every players buy in is.

Also I've being re-reading a bunch of Red Markets lately and kinda want to run it real bad.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Maybe it's because I always play characters who are elaborate liars (or perhaps because I am an elaborate liar myself), but I can't imagine a roleplaying game where I wasn't having to come up with that sort of thing on the fly. Like, I've played plenty of D&D where the world itself is set in stone, but you still need to tell stories from your childhood and things that happened on adventures past and provide alibis.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I like all of those. As a player sometimes I just want to only describe what my character does and says, other times I want to collaborate with the DM and other players. As a DM I tend to want to prep a bunch, but that's also really stressful so sometimes I just say fuck it and wing it even though I'm also bad at improv and stressed by it too lol

I am a mercurial contradiction

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Maybe it's because I always play characters who are elaborate liars (or perhaps because I am an elaborate liar myself), but I can't imagine a roleplaying game where I wasn't having to come up with that sort of thing on the fly. Like, I've played plenty of D&D where the world itself is set in stone, but you still need to tell stories from your childhood and things that happened on adventures past and provide alibis.

My preference is worlds that are kind of set and the "big players" are defined and then the players come up with the backstory themselves.

The campaign we had to stop I inadvertently came up with the actual Main Villain for our campaign in my backstory

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    A good session zero can really help you zero in on the types of your players. If someone spends all of their rounds outlining their own character, that's a big hint they probably just want to play that person. If, like me, they spend the entire session zero undermining your premise by inserting increasingly absurd JRPG references, you know that they should be dropped into a volcano.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
This discussion has been closed.