As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade - Comic - The Toothsman

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited July 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub
imagePenny Arcade - Comic - The Toothsman

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Oh god that X-ray made me laugh out loud. Perfect

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Just a PSA to everyone who's out there and feels the same need to sleep until 2022.

Flipping the calendar over to a new January isn't going to make shit suck less. If you need help, please seek it. If you know someone's who struggling, lonely, or needs a glass of orange juice, share what you can.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I have orange juice and a family I can call. I just agree with Gabe that being unconscious for the next 18 months would be pretty OK.

• Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Flipping the calendar over to a new January isn't going to make shit suck less. If you need help, please seek it. If you know someone's who struggling, lonely, or needs a glass of orange juice, share what you can.

I get you, and you're absolutely right when you're talking about people who have serious mental health issues.

But if flipping the calendar to January - and then advancing forward about 20 days - doesn't make certain shit suck less, then... well, I just have no way to end that sentence. Sometimes misery really is tied to a specific time period.

dennis on
  • Options
    MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Registered User regular
    The discomfort in panel 3 is real. . .

• Options
    GrendusGrendus Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Yeah, gotta agree with the others. Given that several of our current causes of misery have potential end dates before next January, I wouldn't begrudge anyone wanting to skip the current nastiness in favor of a good long nap.

That's not to downplay the seriousness of mental health issues, just saying, you could be neurotypical and it would still be a tempting offer to sleep until there's a COVID-19 vaccine.

Grendus on
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »

Are those teeth on his chin?

• Options
    ZomagicZomagic Registered User regular
    Everyone's down here being all sensitive about mental health, but this strip goes back to the basic premise of a catch-22. (If you don't know what the book Catch-22 is actually about, even if you're familiar with the phrase, look it up and read a synopsis.)

The thing Gabe is saying is actually completely sane. If you LIKE how the world is going right now, if you're completely happy and content and managing entirely well, you're probably the one who actually needs mental health assessment.

As long as the side effects didn't include death, and it didn't leave me susceptible to face huggers, and my husband was on board... yeah, no, I'd hop into a sci-fi stasis pod for the next couple of years. I'm not a nurse, or a doctor, or anyone else who's helping end this idiot pandemic. All that would be lost is time suffering through this borderline dystopian hellscape we're in.

I want to go outside, and smile at someone, and hug my family. I want to see a concert and a movie and go to the conventions where I see my long distance friends. I want to visit Canada. I want to go on my honeymoon that I don't get to have now because of this whole garbage. I want to not worry that I might DIE because I decided to go get my groceries myself, or touched the wrong door handle in my apartment building.

Wanting to skip all this is NOT a mental health issue.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Plans to go to sleep for a year....500 years later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBvIweCIgwk

ironzerg on
  • Options
    Friendly_ShoggothFriendly_Shoggoth Registered User new member
    I’m going to refer to the dentist as Toothsman from now on, I’ll share the results later. My Toothsman grafted a piece of cow bone into my jaw, I joked that it would give strength of bull, he deadpanned that it was most likely from a heifer. Milk powers aren’t as cool but whatevs

• Options
    Johnny17Johnny17 Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure that's how the MJ mess started.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Bremen wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »

Are those teeth on his chin?

At least three, and then one under his right eye socket.

I guess if those are the four that need to come out, that's better than any of the mouth ones needing to come out...

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    That's nothing, look up what a baby's mouth looks like. Terrifying.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »

u1bbajgb1xf1.png

The most terrifying part is that this is my own daughter.

• Options
    doompookydoompooky Wild (Let's Draw A) Horses Couldn't Drag Me AwayRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    dennis wrote: »
    furlion wrote: »
    u1bbajgb1xf1.png
    The most terrifying part is that this is my own daughter.

I hate to break this to you, but you might be raising a shark monster.

doompooky on
    we7ek91hy97o.png
  • Options
    PuddingDeityPuddingDeity Registered User new member
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Just a PSA to everyone who's out there and feels the same need to sleep until 2022.

Under normal circumstances I would agree. In the middle of all this Covid-19 crap, though? Nope, I think wanting to skip to 2022 is a pretty normal train of thought. I'm honestly not even hugely affected. I don't go out much to begin with, I have people I talk to, and the primary source of income in my household is still working. In some ways thanks to other events that just happen to have coincided with all this have this as one of the happiest times in my life... but I still hope beyond hope that all of this will be over within a year.

Even if it is, though, this is all going to wreak havoc on the economy, and 2021 will probably just be bad in its own, new way. 2022 is about the earliest I hope for a true return to normal, and right now if people want to skip to that and get all of this over with I really don't think that's a bad sign about them. I think that's pretty normal, honestly.

• Options
    MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I hate to be a downer, but I don't see the point in sleeping until this is over because I don't think it will be over any time soon. A vaccine probably isn't going to make this go away since most of what I've read recently indicates that it will probably be a regular vaccination just like the flu shot. On top of that, you already had the anti-vaxxers who existed before all of this who almost certainly won't get it, plus probably a bunch of other people as well.

It would offer some consolation in that you could at least get the vaccine and feel safer yourself -- assuming it has a high level of effectiveness. It will certainly be interesting to see how everyone acts once there is a vaccine available. Right now people talk about wearing masks and social distancing not to protect themselves, but to protect everyone else (how heroic!). I wonder how many will cease caring about the suffering and death once there's a vaccine. I could easily see many people saying, "Well, that's their fault if they didn't get vaccinated." Maybe I'm cynical, but I still think most people are more afraid of getting it themselves than they are in giving it to someone else. It just sounds better if you build it up like you're making the noble sacrifice.

MarcinMN on
    "It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • Options
    RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    MarcinMN wrote: »
    I hate to be a downer, but I don't see the point in sleeping until this is over because I don't think it will be over any time soon. A vaccine probably isn't going to make this go away since most of what I've read recently indicates that it will probably be a regular vaccination just like the flu shot. On top of that, you already had the anti-vaxxers who existed before all of this who almost certainly won't get it, plus probably a bunch of other people as well.

It would offer some consolation in that you could at least get the vaccine and feel safer yourself -- assuming it has a high level of effectiveness. It will certainly be interesting to see how everyone acts once there is a vaccine available. Right now people talk about wearing masks and social distancing not to protect themselves, but to protect everyone else (how heroic!). I wonder how many will cease caring about the suffering and death once there's a vaccine. I could easily see many people saying, "Well, that's their fault if they didn't get vaccinated." Maybe I'm cynicaly, but I still think most people are more afraid of getting it themselves than they are in giving it to someone else. It just sounds better if you build it up like you're making the noble sacrifice.

I think the idea is not to be super noble, not caring about your own death. I think it's more that, for almost everyone, catching COVID will have next to no real negative impact. So if everyone just cared about themselves, they would have no reason to do anything preventative at all and those (comparative) few who will die from it are just SOL.

To your other point, I think there's a fine balance to be struck between healthy therapeutic griping that "this year sucks, next year will be better" and still realizing that this really isn't ending anytime soon, or ever. I feel like as a business, school, or individual it's better to think of how to make things work long-term, practically and emotionally, within the "new normal".

Who knows how long before a vaccine makes any impact, and by then the next super pandemic might have already arrived. We've made a world ripe for breeding pandemics and it's kind of surprising it took this long to get a big one.

I'm obviously no expert, that's just my guess. I don't think we'll be living like Quarians from now on, but whatever it ends up looking like, I think it's going to be easier on us all to think if this as the way things are and do what we need to to handle it.

• Options
    HiggenHiggen Registered User regular
    I think the idea is not to be super noble, not caring about your own death. I think it's more that, for almost everyone, catching COVID will have next to no real negative impact. So if everyone just cared about themselves, they would have no reason to do anything preventative at all and those (comparative) few who will die from it are just SOL.

To your other point, I think there's a fine balance to be struck between healthy therapeutic griping that "this year sucks, next year will be better" and still realizing that this really isn't ending anytime soon, or ever. I feel like as a business, school, or individual it's better to think of how to make things work long-term, practically and emotionally, within the "new normal".

Who knows how long before a vaccine makes any impact, and by then the next super pandemic might have already arrived. We've made a world ripe for breeding pandemics and it's kind of surprising it took this long to get a big one.

I'm obviously no expert, that's just my guess. I don't think we'll be living like Quarians from now on, but whatever it ends up looking like, I think it's going to be easier on us all to think if this as the way things are and do what we need to to handle it.

I had to log in to let you know that is an incredibly healthy and productive mindset. There are so many problems that can't just be solved and then filed away. Some problems last lifetimes. If one decides to avoid such issues instead of learning to manage and reduce them, then one is likely not to have a life at all. It's a matter of expectations, in my opinion.