As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nintendo Switch] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!!

• Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    To a certain extent ff6 has a unknown party composition and yet the characters still manage to have dialog. It's true that in most of those cases the character just says the same thing no matter who it is and it's not particularly character-led, but it's still there.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Did no one else start with Primrose? She makes a fantastic mage.

Also Alfyn is overpowered because he has Mix (Concoct) and Mix is always overpowered in a Square Enix rpg.

I started with her, but again, I didn't make it past the fifth recruit. Went Prim, Olberic, Tressa, Cyrus, and gave up partway through Ophilia.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Octopath had some weaknesses, but I think I'm with UncleSporky on this one. Maybe it's been lost in time, maybe more people aware of the postgame final boss plot points ruins it. But it was always pitched as almost 8 RPGs in one. 8 interesting little vignettes. Where nobody is trying to save the world. Kind of a more humble, almost slice of life experience.

I was satisfied with what we got. I have mixed feelings about a lot of it. But the lack of overt party camaraderie, or interleaving stories is not among my quibbles. I thought the stories were interesting, varied, and the world building was solid. You begin to find a lot of overlaps in the stories if you are observant. Having them overtly spelled out for me by having other party members chime in obnoxiously would ruin some of the charm. Besides, the chapters had enough time monologuing for 30 minutes straight anyways.

I mean, if I had to go into my issues with the game, it's that it's super easy to over level if you actually do all 8 characters. The chapters have a profoundly repetitive structure except for a few. The chapters lead you by the nose way too much, especially compared to a lot of the side quest that make you use your brain and come up with creative solutions. Hell, they even have multiple solutions often! The turn based combat, though it starts off delightful, gets pretty tedious towards the end. Mostly thanks to the over leveling problem, but also because you've just seen everything the combat system has to offer about halfway through.

Then there is the post game difficulty cliff, guarding the "true ending", which IMHO violates the basic premise of the game being a nice little series of slice of life fantasy vignettes.

It's just so funny. For all the flaws Octopath had, people really latch onto one of it's strongest points being a problem. Maybe because in the post game, it betrays it to go down the path of a more typical RPG.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

Also Alfyn is overpowered because he has Mix (Concoct) and Mix is always overpowered in a Square Enix rpg.

I started with Primrose, and very early on hit one of those rare XP-cat things and the Mystery Dance that grants 10x to XP and JP.

Yeah, I didn't have to grind much after that.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular

but i might need those items for the final boss

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Boy, some of these puzzles in CrossCode I just have no idea how the fuck anybody was supposed to figure out

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    Oh, hey! 40 new posts in the Switch thread, what happened!?!? Mario Galaxy confirmed, or may Metroid Prime 4 news? DID THE PRIME TRILOGY DROP!?!? Oh. No. Octopath discussion. Didn't we already do that?

By the way, Kingdom Rush Frontier's been out on Switch for, like, a year. I'd thought it was the better game? I dunno, I now own both either way.

Sorry man. I always talk about silly things for longer than necessary. :( Based in too deep of an interest in game design. Sometimes I got other issues going on in my life too and doing a deep dive is an escape. We don't have to keep talking about it.

NO! Keep talking about silly video game things, that's the whole point of having this thread! I just like to comment on my own feelings, now that I'm sober and I'm feeling them all so often. Being a human is... interesting. I have complaints, but I'm mostly getting by. Hope the new update gets released soon tho.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Boy, some of these puzzles in CrossCode I just have no idea how the fuck anybody was supposed to figure out

That's what makes CC fun. You really gotta puzzle them out. Took a lot of brain power to do some late game ones.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

Primrose is good in every party because of her buffs, and she's basically the second strongest caster as well.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    See, I just didn’t understand anyone’s disappointment with “no [overt BigBad] overarching plot.”

Octopath was never advertised or teased as anything other than “8 separate stories, lightly linked.” People manufactured their own expectations there would be a Big Boss, and then were mad when their imaginary features weren’t in the game.

Like, there was no bait and switch there. I loved that game, a LOT, and my opinion is that they totally nailed their STATED goals.

Not trying to say there weren’t some issues, but it was still my GOTY.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    I think people wanted to have a little more interaction with other party members. Would have been cool to have Ophelia provide some words of support to Primrose during her trials and stuff like that. I think we're splitting hairs about "advertised" features and whatnot. Did Chrono Trigger advertise party interaction? No but it was there and it made it feel more natural.

• Options
    mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    Just finished Paper Mario: Origami King. That was a lot of fun: the writing was fantastic, the characters were charming, and I actually really dug the gameplay most of the time.
    Final boss spoilers:
    I find it very funny that the villain was toad-racist. It's almost certainly not the case, but I have to wonder if it's a slight dig at the internet comments nitpicking Color Splash for lack of non-toad characters.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I just finished the blue steamer last night and...that was kind of amazing. The entire chapter was great, loved the theme park, and I now want Rubber Band for Smash.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I just finished the blue steamer last night and...that was kind of amazing. The entire chapter was great, loved the theme park, and I now want Rubber Band for Smash.

It's the second best chapter, I think.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    mageormikemageormike Registered User regular
    The blue streamer was my favorite overall, but each chapter was pretty dang strong. Even the ending was pretty good, which is super tough to do in media in general let alone a videogame.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    I think people wanted to have a little more interaction with other party members. Would have been cool to have Ophelia provide some words of support to Primrose during her trials and stuff like that. I think we're splitting hairs about "advertised" features and whatnot. Did Chrono Trigger advertise party interaction? No but it was there and it made it feel more natural.

Real spoilers for in-game conversations:
    Chapter 2: Primrose & Ophilia

Ophilia: So you know that woman?
    Primrose: Yes, from when I was still living a noble's life. It's been ten years since we last saw each other.
    Ophilia: That's quite a long time.
    Primrose: I am glad to see her safe. I tried to find out where she had gone, but to no avail.
    Ophilia: I'm so sorry about what happened... to you both.
    Primrose: You needn't be.
    Primrose: After all, I'm sure you've had more than your fair share of hardships, too.
    Ophilia: ...
    Primrose: Yet here we are, traveling together and putting the past behind us.
    Primrose: We should be rejoicing, not feeling sorry for each other.
    Ophilia: (Primrose is so strong. Stronger than I'll ever be...)
    Ophilia: I'm glad I can make this journey with you. I feel all the braver for knowing you.
    Primrose: Good to hear!
    Chapter 3: Primrose & Ophilia

Primrose: “...”
    Ophilia: “So this was where you were born and raised.”
    Primrose: “It is. Though much has changed in the last ten years. The people, the town…”
    Ophilia: “It seems this lord we’ve been told about has a lot to do with that.”
    Primrose: “Yes. And none of the changes have been for the better.”
    Primrose: “This was a happier place when I knew it.”
    Primrose: “It was peaceful...and prosperous.”
    Primrose: “My father was a strict man, but he was respected and loved by the people.”
    Ophilia: “I would very much like to see your town as it once was.”
    Primrose: “If only I could have shown it to you. How proud I was of where we lived…”
    Ophilia: “Oh, Primrose…”
    Double spoiled because these are major spoilers:
    Chapter 4: Primrose & Ophilia

Ophilia: “So this character’s story, in the play…”
    Primrose: “It’s mine. In nearly every detail.”
    Ophilia: “Just as I thought…”
    Ophilia: “What is this Simeon thinking?”
    Ophilia: “Whatever it is, it’s awful. Taking someone’s memories and putting them up on stage for all to see…”
    Primrose: “It is. But he’s a fool if he thinks I’m going to play by his script.”
    Primrose: “He won’t get his way.”
    Ophilia: “Good. And I’m going to be right by your side to make sure of it.”
    Primrose: “Thank you, Ophilia.”
    Primrose: (Upon my faith, it is good to have friends to lend me strength…)

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Must have missed that conversation. Those happen when you are walking around the world right?

• Options
    Must have missed that conversation. Those happen when you are walking around the world right?

At inns and after story events.

Wish they'd happened during the chapters themselves without being so optional. They're treated like skits in the Tales series.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Kupi wrote: »
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I tried taking a break from Ghosts to try Octopath again.

It's permanently dead to me at this point. I don't remember what I was doing, the old timey speech - which I really fucking hate for a myriad of reasons - annoyed me in less than 5 minutes and I just didn't want to play it while Ghosts of Tsushima or Paper Mario were sitting there being like "You want a good time?"

The old timey speech is literally one character.

Wait, so I've made the game as painful as possible by picking this one terribly written character?!?!

Edit: Or have I missed an optional thing to change the dialog style somewhere to something actually bearable?

It's only H'aanit and her village that talk the powerfully affected old-timey way. Everyone else talks normally.

THE HELL!?!?!?

I'll try getting to another character and see then!

Edit: This is who I started with incidentally.

Thou picken the wrong starting character :rotate:

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    If I had to change one thing, yeah I'd make the conversations a lot more noticable. As is, it's at predefined points in a character's chapter, only occurs between members in the active party (you can swap characters out though), and you might not even notice the travel banter icon in the corner of the screen to begin with.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I am incredibly happy that I got out of the terrible old English speech place. That was doing my head in.

For the first time in over a year, I made actual progress!!!

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    I’ve just arrived at the theme park in TOK and am loving this game waaaay more than I thought I would. I am a Paper Mario apologist. Yeah I loved the first 2, but also enjoyed Super and Sticker Star. The only one that sits unfinished on my shelf is Color Splash. Based on reviews I thought I likely wouldn’t enjoy this one, but the further I get the more I enjoy it. Can’t wait to play more.

Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I am so glad The Origami King is a great game. It's not quite the experience I would have wanted, but it's so good and the thoughtful puzzle/boss design really tickles me in the right ways.

It's also nice to see mostly positive things about a Paper Mario game for once.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm digging Origami King more than I thought I would. Surprisingly good combat system, sharp as hell writing, and a fun world that goes beyond the generic Mario environments.

The game doesn't go as hard on original characters as Thousand Year Door or Super Paper Mario, but things have been loosened up just enough that it doesn't feel as oppressive as Color Splash. There are Toads with different outfits now, at least.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I've discovered that Disgaea 4 is a game where you realize the government is corrupt so you're working to overthrow it and and the president's son keeps showing up to remind you of how important he is because he's the president's son and then you get to chapter 6 and it's titled "The A-Virus Pandemic."

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I've been pondering the nature of Paper Marios old and new, and one thing that I've been teasing out in my head is a sort of idea of, I don't know, "environment scope"? That feels wrong. Basically it's the concept of how much a game's world exists to challenge you versus enable you. It's not necessarily a measurement of difficulty.

As poorly formed as the idea may be, I do feel like the fact that items are so abundant and there are toads almost everywhere you look kind of gives Origami King a different feel. Completion isn't a matter of overcoming challenges, it's a matter of tearing the levels apart.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Yeah that kind of design can work really well, but I think its really hard to do. Normally, I feel like I need to be challenged by a game to enjoy it. But looking for things in Origami King just makes me happy. It might be the reward of getting another quality Toad line. I dunno, but I love that part of it.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I've discovered that Disgaea 4 is a game where you realize the government is corrupt so you're working to overthrow it and and the president's son keeps showing up to remind you of how important he is because he's the president's son and then you get to chapter 6 and it's titled "The A-Virus Pandemic."

Oh yeah, that virus. That chapter's good.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »

Oh yeah, that virus. That chapter's good.

*looks around* I disagree

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    So I’m still looking around for good JRPG stuff. I remember that I Am Setsuna game had some hype, how did that turn out?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    So I’m still looking around for good JRPG stuff. I remember that I Am Setsuna game had some hype, how did that turn out?

Romancing Saga 2 and 3 are on there if you're interested. RS3 is the easier of the two.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

Is that the game where you play as a sentient orange?

Edit: Nevermind. That was I am Satsuma.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited July 2020

I found it to have an interesting focused aesthetic (almost every environment is snowy and all the music is piano), but it's got some rough edges. The main one for me is that you can trivialize the trash mobs from the word go; the game has a Chrono Trigger-like combo attack system where you can wait for multiple characters to have their turns on deck and have them pair up for a bigger move. The problem is that the combo move for the hero and the third party member is an all-hit move that, on a surprise round, will basically one-shot anything all the way to the end of the game.

Edit: I should point out that the game lets you see monsters before battle and gives you a surprise round if you bump into them from behind, so that "with a surprise round" caveat is more reliable than it sounds.

But then, to get new abilities, you have to farm monster parts that may only drop under certain conditions, like using their elemental weakness, or overkilling them by a certain amount, or only barely killing them, and so on. So you steamroll the encounters, and if a boss walls you you suddenly have to learn how this janky loot system works.

And the hero is... like, not a heroic mute like Chrono, but just underwritten. For some reason he can't bring himself to kill Setsuna (he's been hired to at the start of the game), and there's a big question mark hanging over that for the whole game that they just sort of never resolve.

Overall, it's very Okay. It's not a great game, and doesn't really fail hard anywhere, but I also think it doesn't make a strong case for itself either.

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    I'm still pissed the samurai snifit in Shogun Studios in OK doesn't join your party.

I mean...come on.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »
    I'm still pissed the samurai snifit in Shogun Studios in OK doesn't join your party.

I mean...come on.

But...Bobby. :(

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Kupi wrote: »

I found it to have an interesting focused aesthetic (almost every environment is snowy and all the music is piano), but it's got some rough edges. The main one for me is that you can trivialize the trash mobs from the word go; the game has a Chrono Trigger-like combo attack system where you can wait for multiple characters to have their turns on deck and have them pair up for a bigger move. The problem is that the combo move for the hero and the third party member is an all-hit move that, on a surprise round, will basically one-shot anything all the way to the end of the game.

Edit: I should point out that the game lets you see monsters before battle and gives you a surprise round if you bump into them from behind, so that "with a surprise round" caveat is more reliable than it sounds.

But then, to get new abilities, you have to farm monster parts that may only drop under certain conditions, like using their elemental weakness, or overkilling them by a certain amount, or only barely killing them, and so on. So you steamroll the encounters, and if a boss walls you you suddenly have to learn how this janky loot system works.

And the hero is... like, not a heroic mute like Chrono, but just underwritten. For some reason he can't bring himself to kill Setsuna (he's been hired to at the start of the game), and there's a big question mark hanging over that for the whole game that they just sort of never resolve.

Overall, it's very Okay. It's not a great game, and doesn't really fail hard anywhere, but I also think it doesn't make a strong case for itself either.

Are there any other pretty good JRPGS that people are sleeping on?

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Thank you for the input, Kupi! Sounds like something I’ll probably skip

Romancing Saga 2 and 3 are on there if you're interested. RS3 is the easier of the two.

I’ll have to check those out. I feel I remember those games were pretty obtuse?

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Was the other Square Enix game Lost Sphear any good? It was made by the same team as the Setsuna one and looks like more retro jrpg gameplay.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I find these days a new criteria (for me) is “how thirsty/anime fan-servicey” is it?

I bounced off of Disgaea 5 hard because of the character design and early dialog.

The whole “Babs” chapter of DQ Builders 2 almost lost me. So gross.

I’ll take my JRPGs non-oversexualized, thanks.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    Nitsua wrote: »
    Was the other Square Enix game Lost Sphear any good? It was made by the same team as the Setsuna one and looks like more retro jrpg gameplay.

I made it an hour or so into it before just stopping and never feeling any urge to pick it up again.