As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's not anime, it's the 4th [Gunpla] thread

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Ohmygod babby acguy

X22wmuF.jpg
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    On the "Do not cut," usually those are places where there are pins or tabs that look like the sprue ends.

There is usually a pretty noticable ridge.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    @THESPOOKY before I forget when making the shoulder joints pay extra attention to part H23 the circular pegs have a small key like tab on the side so it needs to be lined up and pushed through all the way before rotating into position. Some people miss the pegs or try to rotate while it is still half way in and break the shoulder joints be mistake.

steam_sig.png
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Building a Turtle tank.

2khebcf09z1p.jpg

Gundam approves. And yes the head retracts into the shell.

Just like the Zeta in the background!

Heffling on
    OK, they are REALLY making up names now:
    https://youtu.be/3mLULlUkQoA

I'm waiting on the Unicorn Badass Ridiculous Ingenious Calamitous Knowledgeably kit. Aka the Unicorn B.R.I.C.K.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the unicorn gunhaving realized enhanced newtype angelic danmaku epilogue

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

For most models, you repeat yourself.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    But when will we get an updated and upgraded Nether Gundam Custom?

or unicorn G.R.E.N.A.D.E. for short

BahamutZERO.gif
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Might give some panel lines a try later, and also try and fix its butt later (the backplate is upside down) but otherwise my first gunpla is assembled.
    Definitely a few learning moments in the process. The connector between the chest and pelvis was mystifying me until I realized the soft plastic joint piece in the chest wasn't rotated the right way. Once I moved it around I saw the proper slot.
    Also when I first connected the two halves something seemed off.
    1vcawudlahw2.png
    Ok thats better.
    aqau6iofx0ia.png
    Is it normal to have a few extra PC pieces? the little softer joints connections rail has a number of bits remaining. Which is probably good because one of my first moves was to overly scrunch one of those, but I didn't realize I had some spares.

akajaybay on
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    yeah lots of leftover pieces is totally normal, depending on the kit

Leftover parts is common. The front of the manual has a list of runners and anything not used has an X over it. PC runners are shared between multiple kits so you almost always have some leftovers of those.

steam_sig.png
    it's often cheaper to reuse molds with some of the same parts as a new kit needs rather than set up production of a new mold with exactly the right parts with no extras

BahamutZERO.gif
  • LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    The manual should have all the sprues shown on it, anything crossed out with an X isn’t needed.

They usually give you a couple spare polycaps and sometimes if it’s a reissue if an old kit or you have like optional ways to build a backpack or whatever you’ll have spares on the regular sprues too.

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I did think it was neat that the sticker for the visor came with multiple options. You had one with the light dead center, or you could put a solid black sticker across the visor and use a separate third sticker of the lights alone to place it where you'd like over the solid sticker.

the more gundam-y type heads also seem to do that, at least the RG Strike Gundam did, I assume the individual eye stickers are for if you either want to paint the black part or if you want more 3D depth to the eyes on top of the black sticker

BahamutZERO.gif
    If you want to paint the eyes a different color then you can go paint and the black border sticker on top. Also if you want to jam a micro LED into the head then the black and green sticker or the individual green eye stickers will block the light while doing just the black border sticker will limit to just the eyes.

steam_sig.png
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Keep an eye on the leftover pieces though. Sometimes you'll have all the pieces to make a weapon or shoulderpads or something from the kit that was used as a base.

I've even had a few build kits with all the parts to make a whole head left over.

Also for some reason the Shining Break kit from Build Divers has like 3/4 of the original shining gundam in the box as unused parts. To the point where you can almost just build it instead.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    can't wait til i have enough disparate parts to make a fucked up frankengundam

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Whippy wrote: »

GUNPLA

IS

FREEDOM

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    I had a leftover frame piece from my RG Strike Freedom with a ball joint on one side, 3mm peg on the other and a servo joint in between.

That piece has found a home with my Frame Arms stuff, at least until my friend prints the adapter pieces I sent the files for. I wonder if my friend that bought the other RG SF would trade me his spare?

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Whippy, take another look at those sprues.

What separates the molded pieces from the sprues themselves? I'll tell you:

Preconceptions.

Friend, you already have all the frankengundam parts you'll ever need.

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Kit bashing is extremely rad

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Curly_BraceCurly_Brace Robot Girl Mimiga VillageRegistered User regular
    Behold! I have finished my panel lining on my recently completed HG Turn-A Gundam!

M2nnqCh.jpg

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I don't know why I've suddenly been attracted to those monstrously overdesigned suits lately but I kinda want that stupid Unicorn kit from up the page

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I don't know why I've suddenly been attracted to those monstrously overdesigned suits lately but I kinda want that stupid Unicorn kit from up the page

Tamashii Robot Spirits are action figures not model kits. Which is annoying cause it would be nice to have a Unicorn Gundam Perfectibility kit that isn't a Gundam Base exclusive.

steam_sig.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Oh well fuck that

What am I, a child

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular

You gotta go further

Get some pants on that gundam

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    I would down for a MGEX Unicorn Gundam Perfectibility if it doesn't cost like 500 bucks and reviews say the MGEX Unicorn isn't a hand grenade.

steam_sig.png
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Building my RG Unicorn was enough for me. As cool as some of those other kits look, I never wanna build a Unicorn ever again.

IKknkhU.gif
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Saturday assembly line work!

Top 2 were done earlier in the week. Third one finished up this morning, so I'm using some finishing passes of the micro-sol on it every 30 mins or so. The bottom 3 are being assembly lined. I've realized that it doesn't really hurt anything to use my fingers for such enormous decals, and it makes positioning them a hell of a lot easier. Yeah, there's overlap, but that's okay. The ends are going to be the pain though.

kdfjUSdl.jpg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Took a break, did some errands, found a Mario...

I'm not as happy with the second set as the first. I got kind of sloppy, so some of the edges aren't setting flat or are overlapping weird. But right now, they are drying. Giving it a bit of time before making my true final pass.

For the 3 I already got done, I wanted to see how they looked on the model. I desperately need to top coat them. I suspect that if I would've airbrushed (or paid someone to airbrush) it likely would've turned out better, and easier. but hey. This definitely looks KICKASS, as I love wings. :)

BpE7m5Il.jpg

I was debating if I was going to apply the rest of the decals to the main body, after completing the shield. After deliberation, I think I am. It may be busy, but it will definitely make it look more robot-like. And it'll add some more colors.

Personally I love the over the top decal-ed look of the Ver Ka kits. It makes it feel a lot more industrial or military (like aircraft, not tanks). But I get the appeal of either cleaner kits or more land vehicle like (tanks, hummers, etc don't have a lot of caution markings). To each their own!

The small warning decals are way easier to apply.

steam_sig.png
    True. As I get more used to this process the decals are going on quicker, usually in batches. And I'm through all the ungodly big ones, so everything else should release, slide into place, and set pretty quickly. I've started, I might as well see where it takes me. =)

Dip a Q-tip in water and wipe and it down so it is just a little bit damp and you can just tap the decal after it soaks and tap where the setting solution is and use a toothpick to adjust the position. The worst are long thin ones like the strips that go on gun barrels those tend to tear easily.

steam_sig.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Hi Nu is growing on me.

Also I'm just wrapping up the RG Sinanju and... yeh, it's mostly good, but cannot stand without assistance. The backpack is just too heavy to pose it. Still looks super pretty tho!

Also just learned the Sinanju has psychoframe in lore?

1*9AcZJfC_Gd5Lrk3ogmBxSQ.jpeg

Wonder if yellow aura = bad guy. Are there any rules to psychoframe glow? :P

Oh brilliant
    the sinanju stein is supposed to be a prototype of the unicorn, not sure if the red sinanju has a psychoframe but it might

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    The Stein becomes the Sinanju, I think! It's the "Stone" they carve the Sinanju out of.

Oh brilliant
    I just assume everything UC past ZZ has a psychommu frame.

Note: I have only seen Gundam Unicorn and have very little knowledge of the UC as a whole.

This discussion has been closed.