As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Civilization] New civs, leaders, game features announced as a new season. Vampires!

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    My problem with Civ in general is that I tend to ignore the military stuff, so things do not go well for me. So I was like "why don't I just try and do something different?"

Like an idiot.

Fencingsax on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Maori is a super fun civ to play.

One fun way to cheese with them is play on the "terra" map type, where all civs start on the same continent, and there is another large continent with no one on it. Since you start on the ocean, you can make your way to the vacant continent and claim the whole thing!

It might take save scumming to get to the actual uninhabited continent though.

• OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    Maori is my only Civ 6 highest difficulty win. Mostly because high difficulty wins/ AI boosts are absurdly cheesy.

I had 12 civs, made the other 11 female leaders, and I Kupe'd up a bunch of islands outside the Pangaea these warrior women fought horrifically over for millennia.

I had 15+ trade routes and Wilhelmina's ear and cash for a science victory. It was absolute joy to send scouting ships and parties into this swirling maelstrom of Deity-level Civilizations literally crashing into each other through the centuries while I floated not-so-far away with my merchant fleets, hoping for market openings.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Cheesing deity is the easiest thing in the world.

1) Duel map
    2) Opponent = Kongo
    3) Pick Russia

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Damn there are some broken secret society combos.

Like Rough Rider Teddy or Tamar with owls of Minerva can literally get hundreds of emvoys over the game. And the Voidsingers are broken as hell with many religious civs, but Kongo and Khmer especially.

One thing I wish they would do, if you look at the 5 new leaders added in new frontiers, it seems like they are balanced towards the A and S tier civs of thr game like Persia, Kupe, Russia, etc. Thats fine but I wish they would go back and bump up a few of the weaker old civs and leaders. Some of them are pretty bland and/or weak.

Edit: to clarify a bit, I don’t think every leader/civ combo needs to be s tier - I would throw out Mansa Musa, Elanor, and Tamar as great, fun leaders that just aren’t optimized for diety wins and they are fine just like they are. But there are a few that either fall flat or just are too generic and that’s what I feel like they could work on.

Jealous Deva on
  • Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Voidsinger Eleanor is good times.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    I don't like what they did to Teddy. Rough Rider Teddy seems fine, but Bull Moose seems terrible. He lost his fighting edge on his home continent, he lost his unique units to defend himself, and breathtaking tiles are too niche. He went from a flexible jack of all trades to a very narrowly focused leader that can very easily end up with a starting location with 0 benefits to him.

I'll have to play with the two new variations, I keep forgetting they exist. Current game is a Minerva game where I spawned with a +5 adjacency harbor. So I just have a ton of money and envoys. Have an entirely levied army just running roughshod over people. It's pretty amusing. If only I were Hungary (Indonesia).

edited July 2020
    I don't like what they did to Teddy. Rough Rider Teddy seems fine, but Bull Moose seems terrible. He lost his fighting edge on his home continent, he lost his unique units to defend himself, and breathtaking tiles are too niche. He went from a flexible jack of all trades to a very narrowly focused leader that can very easily end up with a starting location with 0 benefits to him.

Rough rider Teddy just ends up basically being old Teddy with one ability that didn’t really synergise switched out for an ability that does (and is pretty strong). He is a really good diplo leader and a decent culture and conquest leader, much like older Teddy with a diplo boost.

Bull moose Teddy is just totally different. High risk high reward like Mansa Musa. 2 science and 2 culture is a massive bonus. You should be seeking out and settling wonders and mountain ranges with him. Chop the hell out of marsh and rainforests, plan out your mines and industrial zones so they are clustered together and interefering as little as possible (this may occasionally mean delaying or forgoing a mine in certain situations if it will spoil several other tiles), don’t chop woods and plant woods when you get the chance, etc.

Remember theater squares and entertainment complexes boost appeal. If you have some mountains and woods and drop a theater square nearby often that in itself will be enough to get a bonus.

A lot of this gets easier in late game, but if you plan you can absolutely have a lot of free science and culture yields in classical or medeival era. Also don’t forget to pick up earth goddess to get +2 faith from those tiles as well.

Jealous Deva on
    I wonder if unlocking these secret societies is bugged sometimes.

I'm playing a game as the Ottomans, I've unlocked 3 out of 4 of the secret societies, but not the one I actually want - Sanguine Pact - despite having cleared 5 or 6 barbarian camps.

I mean maybe I'm just unlucky.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular

Rough rider Teddy just ends up basically being old Teddy with one ability that didn’t really synergise switched out for an ability that does (and is pretty strong). He is a really good diplo leader and a decent culture and conquest leader, much like older Teddy with a diplo boost.

Bull moose Teddy is just totally different. High risk high reward like Mansa Musa. 2 science and 2 culture is a massive bonus. You should be seeking out and settling wonders and mountain ranges with him. Chop the hell out of marsh and rainforests, plan out your mines and industrial zones so they are clustered together and interefering as little as possible (this may occasionally mean delaying or forgoing a mine in certain situations if it will spoil several other tiles), don’t chop woods and plant woods when you get the chance, etc.

Remember theater squares and entertainment complexes boost appeal. If you have some mountains and woods and drop a theater square nearby often that in itself will be enough to get a bonus.

A lot of this gets easier in late game, but if you plan you can absolutely have a lot of free science and culture yields in classical or medeival era. Also don’t forget to pick up earth goddess to get +2 faith from those tiles as well.

I mean, yeah, that's how to play the hand he's been dealt, but I don't think it's a particularly good hand. I feel that the +5 strength on the home continent was the straw that stirred the drink. Without it, he's at the mercy of any civ with an early UU.

So I kind of rigged it, but Indonesia is super, super silly with Voidsingers. At least on an island plates map. Fastest ever domination win.

edited July 2020

I mean, yeah, that's how to play the hand he's been dealt, but I don't think it's a particularly good hand. I feel that the +5 strength on the home continent was the straw that stirred the drink. Without it, he's at the mercy of any civ with an early UU.

There are tons of civs without an early uu or combat bonus though?

I mean diety players are constantly stanning Peter and Seondok and they do not have a particularly strong rush defense.

Jealous Deva on
    The real answer for dealing with an early AI rush is archers anyways

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    I mean ranged units are a must but at the top two difficulties you definitely need to spend time pumping out some warriors to not be overwhelmed unless you just happen to get lucky and have a natural choke. Luckily the AI is super bad at fighting.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Hey, how do you overcome production issues in the first few eras when there are no hills or forests around? Just restart to a less dreadful location?

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    Work ethic and/or goddess of the sea, discount government cards on what you are doing, faith and gold purchasing can all help.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Work ethic and/or goddess of the sea, discount government cards on what you are doing, faith and gold purchasing can all help.

Encampments help a lot, too, and show up sooner than workshops.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Playing as Hungary, 6 player continents map.

Begin the game, realized that Russia is really weak, probably because they built Stonehenge. I conquer them with just 2 archers and a warrior. I had build a a large army and gone with the Sanguine Pact, so I glance over and the Ottomans and figure why not. The war against them is long, but eventually won with the help of Kandy.

Now I'm sitting alone on my continent while Germany, Georgia and Mali are on the other. I managed to get my own faith (a big reason why I rushed down Russia was they had another, I wanted to be the sole religion on my continent), which I'm investing into science buildings and great people. Trying to decide if I want to got to space, conquer every one else or spread my religion to the second continent.

What map types do you all usually use?

I’ve decided default continents is kind of crap as a balanced map because it doesn’t have any islands or other expansion territory that doesn’t get snapped up in the initial rush and ends up being just two independent Pangea , which really hurts naval civs.

Continents and islands seems to be a decent replacement but not quite ideal.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I couldn't imagine ever using anything but fractal

maybe fractal islands

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    I almost always play Fractal.

I've tried them all and think all of them create a new spin on the game.

Also team fractal.

Though I've been messing around with some of the easily exploited ones lately. Indonesia island plates and now Maori Terra.

Serpent wrote: »
    I almost always play Fractal.

I've tried them all and think all of them create a new spin on the game.

A couple I have found that I thought were pretty neat for one-off games were tilted axis and seven seas, Tilted axis ends up being like discworld, flat with cold in the center, but it seems to have a lot of rainforests and deserts around the coastal areas. Seven seas is like an inverted land/water map.

I want to like inland lake and tilted axis, but I hate maps that dont loop around.

• Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Seven Seas is my default.

On a Continents map, you'll usually only have one or two neighbors at most. Tends to make border diplomacy a little too boring.

On a Pangea map, naval trade bonuses become irrelevant because you don't have any coastal cities.

Seven Seas map gives you more neighbors than Continents and more coastal settlement locations than Pangea. Best of both worlds.

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I play fractal or shuffle.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I liked Fractal right up until i tried Gaia Map Script

Since then, Gaia Map Script only, it's REALLY good. at least for what i'm looking for (Interesting terrain, feels believable, often but not always navigable entirely by boat.) Highly recommend to give it a try!

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
    I had a stupid good Sweden start. Yosemite and Mount Romaire nearby. Tons of space to expand with no nearby civs.

edited August 2020
    Seven Seas is my default.

On a Continents map, you'll usually only have one or two neighbors at most. Tends to make border diplomacy a little too boring.

On a Pangea map, naval trade bonuses become irrelevant because you don't have any coastal cities.

Seven Seas map gives you more neighbors than Continents and more coastal settlement locations than Pangea. Best of both worlds.

Yeah that is something I noticed in my last two games on continents and continents with islands. Even on normal or large maps there tends to be an issue with just being next to one or two civs, and only a couple of ai get enthusiastic about naval invasions so if you get next to a peaceful civ you can safely ignore military.

Pangaea is nice but screws naval civs, island plates/archipelago/small continents are the reverse, you end up on your own a lot with no land borders at all.

I will need to try fractals more and see about that gaia script. 7 seas seems like a great pangea substitute.

Jealous Deva on
    Hm, been a while since I exhausted the city name list.

One of many reasons Kupe is one of the best civs in the game: You can make your own legendary starts.
    50DE46177428EF277DFF1B815C66E414565A51C7

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I started a civ V game as China because Christopher Tin has released new material. I'm having an epic start in the middle of a continent.

Hmm, wonder if I should pop up to emperor. I used to have a lot of trouble on king but the last 3 games I have won pretty handily. Extra AI settlers make me nervous though.

Do it! Moving the difficulty up incrementally is the way to go. The game is more fun when its a challenge than when its easy.

King -> Emperor is the biggest jump because of those extra settlers. It's not hard if you make it to turn 50 (maybe 75) though.

I've seen it suggested to get a mod to give you extra settlers to counter balance.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I've seen it suggested to get a mod to give you extra settlers to counter balance.

not only for balance, but just bc it's very fun to start with two cities

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    Being one of the early faith generators and getting the free settler pantheon makes life so much easier.

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Man, the higher difficulties are no fun. I just won on immortal with two deity enemies mixed in, but all the stuff I just couldn't build because enemy civs start with free tech, cities, and bonus production just makes the first 100 turns or so a chore.

The real fun was designing and building super district clusters with the government center in the middle of a city triangle as Japan.

7244qyoka3pp.gif