As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Of 8800GT's (Dell deal over!) (Microcenter Deal: $220)

2»

• BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Yeah it's been awful. Order in November and they say they will ship in December. The ship date arises and they say it's delayed until Jan 15th. Jan 15th comes and on that day they send another mail saying they'll ship on the 22nd. 22nd comes and they say they've delayed again and will ship on Feb 19th. What a crummy policy; I'm never back-ordering anything from them again, no matter how good a deal they promise. I'm getting it shipped from somewhere else.

Why did they keep telling you it was going to ship?

Dell told me they were out. When I asked when they were going to get more, Dell said the card had been discontinued. Even after I showed them the same card at places like Newegg they were still "Uh uh, discontinued. Would you like to order one of these other 8800s for $350?" so I cancelled. This was in late December.

BubbaT on
    edited January 2008
    Cycophant wrote: »
    So - that EVGA is a great deal, but I'm worried the 320meg of RAM is going to severely hamstring it. Palit I've never heard of, but I threw up the option anyway, just in case. I'm more leaning towards the two Galaxy cards; but I remember hearing that most 8800GT's will perform the same as the 8800GTS for the most part. If that's the case, the 8800GT overclocked seems like the perfect card for me, since it's nice and cheap too. Would the GTS be worth the extra $50 for a slightly higher clockspeed and whatever other improvements the GTS brings over the GT?

Anyone have any thoughts?

The GTS 512MB is ~10-15% faster than the GT, but that edge gets chopped in half when you turn on AA. That's because the GTS doesn't improve memory bandwith (+8% over GT) as much as it does clock speed (+24% over GT).

I'd avoid the GTS 320MB. It's an older revision that's pretty significantly outperformed by the GT. That eVGA is the card I'm upgrading from.

BubbaT on
  • RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    can these cards drive a screen at 1920x1080 ? I am picking up a hdtv soon, and would like to have a pc control it from time to time... i don't think my radeon 1950 is up to the task...

These are cheap enough to upgrade to..

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm pretty sure the 8800's can output at HD resolution. The box even says it's HDTV compatible.

urahonky on
    edited January 2008
    BubbaT on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Thanks Bubba. I updated the OP with your information.

urahonky on
  • firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Re: Microcenter deal: AWESOME. The BFG 8800GT I got at Best Buy is going back as soon as the EVGA one arrives. And I save monies! Thanks for the link Bubba!

EDIT: Balls! Got a backorder e-mail! Hope they get more right quick.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
    edited January 2008
    Microcenter also has the 8800GT Superclocked version for $230 though it's a bit more backordered than the stock version - ships in 7-21 days vs 5-7 days for the stock version. 650 core/ 950 memory vs 600/900 stock speeds.

Stock eVGA 8800GT $230 at Newegg. Might be cheaper if you're in a state that taxes for Microcenter but not for Newegg. Free shipping.

BubbaT on
  • xeroismygodxeroismygod Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I would like to also state most non Super Clock 8800GTs will Over Clock to SC speeds provided your case has adequate power and cooling. This can be achieved using ATI TOOL or Nvidia's own Ntune. Just make sure manually control the fan speed(default software control is ridiculously low until 80 degrees then it ramps up). O_o

xeroismygod on
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I picked up a XFX 8800GT 256 XXX a month or two ago, and it's fucking awesome. I can run The Witcher at full on 1440x900(max res for my monitor) with no lag.

There's also a 2.26ghz verion for $250, and a 512 1.97ghz version for $270.
    urahonky wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the 8800's can output at HD resolution. The box even says it's HDTV compatible.

Yep, as long as your monitor(in this case, HDTV) has the ability handle it, the 8800's will push resolution out up to 2560x1600(Equivilent to 1600p, so this will last you a long time).

Carnarvon on