As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I finally got a [Job] but still post here

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020

how much money would I need to be paid to be Logan Paul's butler mother

Brolo on
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular
    Holy crap, that can’t be real.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    You may not want to believe, but I assure you, it is.

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Hypothetical question: your landlord sends you a lease renewal to review before signing, asking if you have any questions. There's nothing you weren't expecting, but you notice that the lease specifies you are to begin paying rent in the wrong month. If you sign it as written, you will have one free month's rent, at least on paper. Do you tell them?

Of course I told her, both because not doing so would be a dick move (and possibly I'd be liable for that month's rent anyway on the grounds I should have known it was a mistake? I have no idea whether that's a thing), and because a month's rent isn't worth a pissed-off landlord. But I'm curious what the thread think of the ethics of this situation.

edit: a word

Calica on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I have a friend who works for an SV startup and his boss recently decided they needed a combination nanny/house manager.
    I have trouble articulating exactly why I find this repulsive. The idea of people being rich enough to employ ‘staff’ doesn’t bother me half as much as the demand that said employees be a) superhuman and b) also really keen to do all the boring bits of your life for you. I think that’s my basic issue.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    - Part time
    - you will have to answer you phone/be on call almost 24/7
    - minimal days off
    - actual work hours will be flexible, but generally expect to be with the client all the time

fucking idiot

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    As we see with the current POTUS, if you are sufficiently shielded by wealth and privilege, you never have to actually grow up.
    This is, in fact, a condition that many aspire to.

and Tox, if you think that description sounds very much like child care: *ding ding ding!*

Commander Zoom on
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Oh, no. Oh, god. I'm going back to work in twelve hours and then working for seven days straight.

How did this happen? I was pretty certain this week off was going to last forever!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • thatassemblyguythatassemblyguy Janitor of Technical Debt .Registered User regular

I need a drink. *writes job posting for 24/7 drink fetcher*

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I need a drink. *writes job posting for 24/7 drink fetcher*

Well it is sadly the return of serfdom

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    My nemesis at work pronounces Mario "Mare-ee-oh," which is oddly satisfying because it vindicates my disdain for them

My nemesis at work pronounces Mario "Mare-ee-oh," which is oddly satisfying because it vindicates my disdain for them

How often does Mario come up at your work

tynic wrote: »

So far just the once

So far just the once

That’s probably for the best, that sounds like the kind of thing that would drive me nails-on-chalkboard up the wall if it was frequent

I had a coworker who pronounced donut as dunnit, which was mostly an accent thing and certainly not something I could ever get on his case about but somehow it threw me every time. And we talked about donuts a lot.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

I'm reasonably sure this is how @Cello pronounces it as well.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Tragically, there is more than one fellow branch manager who pronounces it "Lie-berry."

I am not allowed to point and laugh, for professional reasons. In about ten years, though...

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvELT5aIo9A

I hadn't thought about that video in a long, long time.

Damn you.

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

The right way to say it? Yes, absolutely

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    Cello wrote: »

Canada must be hell for Italians,

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

So, what's it like to be @Poorochondriac's work nemesis?

Cello, what's the next show-script you got cooking up?

Canada must be hell for Italians,

Only in Little Italy.

https://youtu.be/ZCrPUy0IQak

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    It's fun to say "mare-ee-oh" because even people who don't play video games go ballistic when you do.

3cl1ps3 on

I'm reasonably sure this is how Cello pronounces it as well.

You're lucky my nemesis dance card is full

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    People who say words wrong are adorable, like when a kid hasn’t quite worked out how to do his “R”s?

The cutest.

Tox wrote: »
    - Part time
    - you will have to answer you phone/be on call almost 24/7
    - minimal days off
    - actual work hours will be flexible, but generally expect to be with the client all the time

fucking idiot

want to know a horrifying thing
    This is basically how the new manager is running Cap 2 and trying to turn it around from being a meat grinder

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    My hands are made of pain because I just trimmed my potted tree. Yikes, those pine needles are legit needles.

Edit: pinus eldarica

Weaver on
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Half the people at my work say "nucular"

it drives me NUTS

Al_wat wrote: »

it drives me NUTS

That and Methane drive me nuts how people say certain words phonetically

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Haha. Apparently Mario Cuomo pronounced it Marry-o. So a few people I know use that pronunciation. It drove me crazy when I first moved out here.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

it drives me NUTS

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Nth4RqqmQZ4

• Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    When I was younger I used to pronounce it nucular, and it sounded so natural and normal to me that when a friend of mine noticed it and tried to correct me, he had to pronounce it the right way like half a dozen times before I even heard the difference

I'm reasonably sure this is how Cello pronounces it as well.

You're lucky my nemesis dance card is full

Put me on the waitlist.

Steam
    edited August 2020
    My Dad grew up in the poorest part of town and has a weird dialect that is mostly Ottawan but also has that Letterkenny rural Ontario patter to it

The accent comes out more when I'm talking to him, or when I pronounce certain words extremely wrong because that was how I was taught, like for meh-ree-oh (unless they're ten dollar words I saw in books and made my own pronunciations for that sort of show up of their own accord)

I refuse to pronounce the letter H like he does though (which for him is haech)

Cello on
    Steam
    My Dad grew up in the poorest part of town and has a weird dialect that is mostly Ottawan but also has that Letterkenny rural Ontario patter to it

The accent comes out more when I'm talking to him, or when I pronounce certain words extremely wrong because that was how I was taught, like for meh-ree-oh (unless they're ten dollar words I saw in books and made my own pronunciations for that sort of show up of their own accord)

Accents are fine, Mario is itself an Italianization of the Latin name Marius, say it how you say it.

sarukun wrote: »

Accents are fine, Mario is itself an Italianization of the Latin name Marius, say it how you say it.
    About fifty percent of the time I say Mario the way my Dad does without thinking about it, and the other half is entirely intentional because between 1 and 3 people will yell at me that he SAYS his own NAME this is how you SAY IT

Steam
  • PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

Oh, Morius?

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular

do you work for a crypto exchange because I have only known one person in my life who does this

he is an italian man from the bronx and I cannot be held to account for his behavior

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    tortilla

VayBJ4e.png
    edited August 2020

About fifty percent of the time I say Mario the way my Dad does without thinking about it, and the other half is entirely intentional because between 1 and 3 people will yell at me that he SAYS his own NAME this is how you SAY IT

Real talk, yes, you should try to pronounce someone's name to them correctly. It sucks when people can't call you something you want to be called. If you know a guy called Mario and he wants you to pronounce his name a certain way, you should make a concerted effort to show respect to a dude and call them how they wanna be called.

Mario is a mascot for a corporation with fans all over the world. Call him however you wanna call him.

But I'm not actually worried that you don't know any of this, I'm just writing words to make sure I got this straight in my own head.

sarukun on
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

Oh, Morius?

No that's the guy from The Matrix. You're thinking of the lady from Robin Hood.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
This discussion has been closed.