As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Destiny 2] What We Do in the Shadows (Beyond Light expansion coming Nov. 10!)

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Just completed the Suros catalyst.

Taking the recoil direction from 50 -> 100 is straight up disgusting, holy shit.

Working on Vigilance Wing now, this thing rips and that's with me missing a bunch of shots.

Also joined up on a prestige Eater run for just the first two chests 3x times to try to get Telesto's catalyst. Got it on the 2nd chest of the first run, which follows me getting the Acrius catalyst on my very first farm run too. I think I've used up my catalyst drop luck for the foreseeable future.

Wordline Zero I just need the EP boss from the next week to finish.

I guess I should try to run outbreak prime heroic? Would anyone here be interested on PS4?

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Yeah Suros with catalyst is straight dirty in PvP

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I totally forgot about the worldline zero catalyst, I really should do that before Mars is gone

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    I totally forgot about the worldline zero catalyst, I really should do that before Mars is gone

I haven't been able to test that this still works yet, but apparently the one boss who you can only do damage to on the back that has to open up?

If you drop a well of radiance at his feet, apparently you can do damage to him that counts for the catalyst.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Peen wrote: »
    I will argue that it's still fucking stupid that you have to do a bunch of stuff to "unlock" the catalyst, only to have to get a million kills with the gun to activate the thing. I don't love any gun (except Graviton Lance mwah mwah) enough to want to double grind with it, no thanks no thanks.

The whole catalyst system is kinda silly at this point. Like a lot of things in live-service games, it started for one purpose and has basically lost that as the rest of the game changed around it.

And a lot of times catalysts are basically "complete the exotic so it actually works properly" at this point.

I definitely wish some of them weren't random drops, or similar. Like i've got Trinity Ghoul, but no catalyst. same with Sunshot (Screw you all saying it's bad, i love my literally head exploding handcannon), Cerebus+1, Rat King, D.A.R.C.I (not that i'm ever going to use that, but it's the principal of the thing)

supposedly Ghoul is a really common drop in strikes, it happened really quickly for me when it was released.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    Recently we've managed two flawless Scourge runs, a flawless full team sparrow race first try, and both of the one-time-challenge triumphs! The hardest part of those triumphs was convincing everyone to actually try and do them for once.

For Gone Huntin', we got lucky with the berserker spawns and got it done quickly after a few false starts. We ended up having more trouble getting an angle to kill the first berserker.

For Six of a Kind, we spent a while discussing and refining our strategy. Then when we went to execute it, someone immediately died, throwing everything off, and we winged it the rest of the way. We were unsure of our count so likely ended up killing 7-8 servitors to be safe. Fun challenge.

Motorboat Kitten gets the job done.

Y’know, eventually

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    I have made so many Cold Denials, and yet my god-roll eludes me. But this pulse feels very solid and nice to me. I have put down my Sacred Provenance even in PVE to try out Killing Wind/Unrelenting, which doesn't work well for PVP, but is fun to have constant healing in PVE. Combined with Guillotine, this seasons weapons replaced a few of my standbys, and I'll be sad when retirement eventually comes.

I essentially shelved my Warmind weapons and haven't seen a Warmind cell in forever. A person with 25+ GoS clears was in a run last night, and another player dropped a cell, and this guy literally freaked out and said "what is that thing, what is it, what do I do" and it was crazy to see hardcore players who just completely ignored the mechanics of last season. So I guess Arrivals is definitely working for some people, even if some mechanical complexity is lost.

• Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Still working on the Black Armory exotic quests (two more frames to go) and I decided to make a pulse rifle since I hadn't made one yet. Then I noticed, hey, I only have one pulse rifle to work on this with, so I grabbed it out of the bank and...

When did Graviton Pulse get good? That was fun as hell!
    Warmind. It was Graviton Lance and Vigilance Wings all day. It could use another buff, even, in the current sandbox

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Catalase wrote: »
    Still working on the Black Armory exotic quests (two more frames to go) and I decided to make a pulse rifle since I hadn't made one yet. Then I noticed, hey, I only have one pulse rifle to work on this with, so I grabbed it out of the bank and...

Warmind. It was Graviton Lance and Vigilance Wings all day. It could use another buff, even, in the current sandbox

Yeah, it's not great against harder enemies, but for clearing mooks it's madness.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I'm working on vigilance wing catalyst in the crucible, and every time I kill a titan trying to hide behind a shield with it I think of the scene from Support Your Local Sheriff where they give him the badge, and it has a bullet indentation in it.

"Sorry, it's a little bent up"

"Well, that's ok, I'm sure it saved the life of whoever was wearing it"

"Yeah, it sure would've if it hadn't been for all those other bullets flying in from everywhere"

• Options
    YerMumYerMum Registered User regular
    Catalase wrote: »

Yeah, it's not great against harder enemies, but for clearing mooks it's madness.

So much fun getting the catalyst at Shuro Chi, all the explosions :)

Rugged individualist
    Destiny Profile : http://www.bungie.net/en/Profile/254/7028016
  • Options
    What even is the point of the "we're breaking these teams up to find a better match" system in crucible at this point? If they're not doing SBMM, what metric could they possibly be using to try and...find a better match?

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    What even is the point of the "we're breaking these teams up to find a better match" system in crucible at this point? If they're not doing SBMM, what metric could they possibly be using to try and...find a better match?

1jdmz9Vm.jpg

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

"We're finding different people to kick the shit out of you" isn't as positive sounding.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    You don't normally change lobbies in between games. If you run up against a six stack, everyone could theoretically stay (or even 5 people could leave and the 6 stack stays), and it'd be you against that 6 stack....forever.

The break up the teams is basically them saying they're force closing that lobby and opening a new one where new blood might show up.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    If one team mercy's the other, it would be pretty unacceptable for them to keep that lobby together.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    @taco543 has gotten pretty good at getting to and activating the chest, solo, in prestige Eater of Worlds and has been shuttling his mates in as he does so. Today it happened.

On our second try, I and another person finally got the Telesto catalyst at the same time....and, spontaneously, both started to fire wildly into the air at the same time.

Thanks @taco543 !

p.s. Rocket Arena is garbage.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Anybody on PS4 interested in a Shattered Throne run sometime soon? I finally got around to finishing the rare bounty step of the Izanagi's quest so gotta do that and the special Pyramidion strike at some point.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    Summoner on 3 wins / bounty is nice for Trials.
    Class item ever only being on Flawless is still some garbage for me.

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    So how does one go about getting back into this game? I have a bunch of quests but it's not super clear what I should be doing first/next or what's important. I have all of these umbral engrams to open but no way to open them; ostensibly I'm supposed to do this quest for the drifter, but when I go to the quest area I just get one shot by the event mobs that have a recommended light level 200 higher than where I'm at. Any suggestions?

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    So how does one go about getting back into this game? I have a bunch of quests but it's not super clear what I should be doing first/next or what's important. I have all of these umbral engrams to open but no way to open them; ostensibly I'm supposed to do this quest for the drifter, but when I go to the quest area I just get one shot by the event mobs that have a recommended light level 200 higher than where I'm at. Any suggestions?

If your PL is low enough that the Contact event enemies are 200+PL above you then you're probably going to have to grind some to get it up before you can really engage with anything current.

Playlist strikes and the patrol zones (outside of the Contact special event dudes) are all, I believe, PL 750, so doing strikes and working on bounties should be alright and will get you drops that are going to constantly boost your PL. Similarly, Gambit and Crucible don't care about your PL (so far as I'm aware, anyway) so you can work on bounties or quests for those. The weekly Powerful Rewards/Pinnacle Rewards for those are going to be 'wasted' on you because you're well below the point where you need those types of rewards to boost your PL but you've got a ways to go so I wouldn't worry about it over much.

Any of the old special-event type stuff (Black Armory Forge Ignitions or the Menagerie, for example) are, I think, either 750 or at least below 1000 PL so you can also work on quests for those.

Your PL should go up steadily and fairly rapidly until you get to the first soft cap where you need Powerful rewards to keep going up.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

I think that’s just a function of season length. And since this season is getting extended, I hope we see drop down to 5 wins or 3 if we’re very lucky. I should do the math on how many weeks are left and if it’s mathematically possible with how the rotation goes.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    I haven't played in a good while so after some good Crucibling I decided to do whatever Interference step I'm on. Hit a solid minute or so of loading, during which I discovered that your legs don't move. Allowing me a good look at dat ass.

4si2lq9hdblf.jpg

Then I fed Eris some popcorn.

evom6p8jq114.jpg

eat the popcorn, eris

• Options
    Elki wrote: »

I think that’s just a function of season length. And since this season is getting extended, I hope we see drop down to 5 wins or 3 if we’re very lucky. I should do the math on how many weeks are left and if it’s mathematically possible with how the rotation goes.

Incidentally, someone already did the math.
    https://old.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/i1fkjf/past_and_future_trials_rewards_spreadsheet/

• Options
    Arteen wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »

Incidentally, someone already did the math.
    https://old.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/i1fkjf/past_and_future_trials_rewards_spreadsheet/

Damn yeah, if that's accurate pretty much just wait until September and get everything at 3 lmao

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    I will argue that it's still fucking stupid that you have to do a bunch of stuff to "unlock" the catalyst, only to have to get a million kills with the gun to activate the thing. I don't love any gun (except Graviton Lance mwah mwah) enough to want to double grind with it, no thanks no thanks.

The whole catalyst system is kinda silly at this point. Like a lot of things in live-service games, it started for one purpose and has basically lost that as the rest of the game changed around it.

And a lot of times catalysts are basically "complete the exotic so it actually works properly" at this point.

I definitely wish some of them weren't random drops, or similar. Like i've got Trinity Ghoul, but no catalyst. same with Sunshot (Screw you all saying it's bad, i love my literally head exploding handcannon), Cerebus+1, Rat King, D.A.R.C.I (not that i'm ever going to use that, but it's the principal of the thing)

supposedly Ghoul is a really common drop in strikes, it happened really quickly for me when it was released.

After complaining about it, i found i already had it, and have completed it since then!

Also nailed off my Witherhoard cataltyst - so worth doing, the gun feels AMAZING with it.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    Some Raid fun last night!

Did a regular Eater for the triumph, and found a solid team. I wound up doing a personal Flawless run (though everyone else died during jumping puzzle failures and fighting), which felt nice given I only did a handful of Eater before. I also rocked Heir Apparent, which is fun on Argos second phase since with Actium you never let go of the right trigger during the entire damage phase and just mow down everything.

I also finally got in a Riven legit. We used the wish wall to just go straight there, and only me and one other person were new to the encounter (though i had a solid idea of how it worked). And while our team of 3 had the two new guys and the other stranger of the group of 6, we generally did ok.

It still took over two hours, as basically the other team made a good number of mistakes (and we did occasionally as well), and every time we got to the multi-eye stun, somebody either missed an eye or hit an incorrect one. Our chatty stranger on our team of 3 got frustrated and tired and left, so we waited 20 minutes for the fireteam to bring in their friend to replace him and I took over some of the eye-shooting and we got through two full damage cycles and got it done eventually.

That fight is indeed really neat! And I can see once you have things down how it can be enjoyable with a solid group to mix up. I expect however it'll still be rare to find teams willing to do it.

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Thanks to Eits and Gnomed for taking me through Prophecy yesterday. I got the eyes and Urns done as well.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Chasm of Screams solo complete!
    VRsL1lQ.png

This strike is a butt. 100% the murder thrall.

• Options
    I need to do that too lol

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I also need to do that, but I was planning on seeing if they do buffs during the summer holiday like they did last year before trying, since that was what let me finally solo Whisper

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I got my hopes up last night playing crucible for the first time thinking that they made The Last Word a bit easier to complete. Went from 35% last night down to 3% today in two matches.

Ugggggggggggggggggggh.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Got into some random groups yesterday and got EoW and SoS finished finally. I’d done EoW when it first came out but just haven’t done it again.

After completing SoS, I still have no idea what happened in that last fight. I pretty much lucked into a run where I didn’t have to do anything significant which is good because they explained it and they might as well have been speaking a different language.

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    I led a group in SoS last week. That last fight is complicated. Here's what I believe is a general breakdown.
    1. Add clear
    2. The boss applies a debuff that will kill everyone in 10 seconds. To clear it, you pass an orb to every player, and the last player throws it at the boss.
    3. Add clear
    4. Do the ship destruction mechanic from the previous fight, but thus time you need to do two ships at once.
    5. The boss will shoot out three orbs, one at a time. Divide into three teams (a team of three, a team of two, and a solo). The team of three takes the first ball, the team of two takes the second ball, and the solo player gets the last one. The teams play hot potato to keep the kill debuff down until all three balls are engulfed.
    6. The Callus statue will float in the air and raise its left arm. Throw your balls at his glowing left hand. Thus will bring down the boss shield. Do DPS. If you do not get his health to zero, go back to 1.
    7. The boss will shield and shoot out six orbs. Everyone will get a buff. Everyone needs to get and throw 1 orb at the boss. Thriwing one orb removes your buff. If you hit him with 4 to 6 orbs (depending on light level) the boss dies. If not, you wipe.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular

I've just returned to the game (2 expansions and whatnot of content = what the fuck should I be doing, I have 50 quests?), and my Xur engram today was Ghoul. First strike following that was the catalyst, and a quick google says that lots of people have had fast drops following their initial exotic drop. So fingers crossed.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    2. The boss applies a debuff that will kill everyone in 10 seconds. To clear it, you pass an orb to every player, and the last player throws it at the boss.
    Ah yes. The “boss is pooping” phase

"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    I hit glory rank legend for the first time ever! The last climb through mythic-iii was horribly tense and sweaty, but I did it.

Final match was the narrowest rally from 3-1 down on Anomaly that descended into a nasty run-and-snipe around/across the central rotunda. We took the win and I can't think of a more fitting cap to the climb.

Of course, now I hit legend I still need to grind out Luna's Howl kills for Not Forgotten. So I swapped revoker for mountaintop - aiming to soften up targets and clean up with Luna's not caring about wins - and started playing way more aggressively. And what do you know, I'm having a lot more success than playing hyper-cautiously.

Playing exclusively freelance as a hunter, I can really recommend Gemini Jester and top tree void with 90+ mobility. Dodge out of sight when approaching engagements to a) go invisible and b) take out opponents' radar. Gives you all the advantage 1v1 and completely wrecks if you're pushing alongside allies.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    Having returned after not playing in forever also made me take a look at old triumphs. Turns out I had the Prismatic Inferno emblem just sitting there!

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Ah, that rarest of blossoms: the 0 efficiency across 4 rounds teammate.

q14fnsc99kma.png

The next round helped make up for it a bit.

b5skcb1c5x66.png

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    My usual squad tried our first Grandmaster nightfall. After a couple bad starts just getting used to the harshness of it, we managed to make it most of the way through the boss fight before we hit time and couldn't revive anymore.

Pretty proud of that, especially considering that I apparently was the only one who know how they even worked (e.g. revive tokens, timer) when we started.

I don't know if I'll ever manage (or even try for) Conqueror, but I can see the appeal of Grandmaster nightfalls.