As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PC Games - Street Power Football and No Straight Roads out today!

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    an 18" dick is some king midas level cursed shit

Win every dick measuring contest but never be able to put it in anything

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

everything he touched turned to dicks

• RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    Yooo. Apparently iron harvest, that scythe (the board game) rts is in open (free) beta on steam? It seems pretty good! Anyone else check it out?

I just played a round against an easy AI and I stink.... but also it’s company of heroes but with walking trash can mechs covered in machine guns. Which Uhm... I’m Verry here for?

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    speaking of pounds of erect, throbbing, cock meat: https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/57098
    Starting next month, FFXI is going to start getting new story quest content again. It's a long-term storyline over multiple updates, the first part starts in the August update. (The game has received monthly updates for years now, mostly with just balance changes and rotating events and boss fights)
    Also, they're doing a Return To Vana'diel event from the 7th until the 17th, anyone who has ever had an FFXI subscription can come back and play for free during that time.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

everything he touched turned to dicks

I heard motherfucker had like, thirty goddamn dicks

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I have bought Beyond Good And Evil for kicks because it was 10 bucks on Steam

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    My The Long Dark, Interloper difficulty diary
    Day 1

I spawn on the slopes of Timberwolf Mountain, I make my way down to the lake. In the mountaineer's cabin, I find a hacksaw. I use it to saw open a cargo container which fell out off a crashing aircraft. I make a fire inside the cabin to melt some snow. A blizzard arrives and my fire goes out, so I have to go outside in the blizzard to gather branches. I narrowly dodge frostbite.

Day 2

I take the pass which leads from Timberwolf Mountain to Pleasant Valley. There's a prepper's cache nearby - I descend down into it and discover it's devoid of anything useful. I spend the rest of the day hours chewing on cat tail stalks which I gathered on the way down here. At least I'm somewhat protected from the cold under these blankets.

Day 3

I make my way to the wreckage of the airliner. The weather starts turning ugly and I have to take refuge in a cave where I make a fire and melt eight liters of snow while the storm rages on. Finally, at the brink of dusk, the wind seems to die down a bit. I rush out of the cave and search the wreckage.

There are supposed to be airline meals here, at least on the lower difficulty levels. I only find a single can of soda. I keep searching the snow. This can't be. Starvation sets in.

Night of Day 3

I spend the night in the basement of a burnt-down house. I find a single banged up can of Pork and Beans. There is no bed here and I have no bedroll, so I have to sit in the corner and wait. In the middle of the night, the lights suddenly turn on and begin to flicker. The radio starts playing ghostly music. A few hours later, it stops and the basement turns pitch-black.

Day 4

My only hope for salvation is to descend into the valley and make it to the farmstead. Hunger and cold blur my vision and as I come down the narrow path, I see a wolf directly in front of me. I ran past it, out on the ice, hoping it won't follow. My health is in the red. It is still after me. I thought I could make this work. I'm beginning to limp, stumbling, the wolf trailing me.

I can see the farmstead, in the distance. Two hundred yards. A hundred yards. My vision starts to fade out. Fifty yards. I can still hear the wolf. I collapse into the snow.

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I played the extremely limited beta of Humankind today and my excitement has not diminished.

The art direction in this game is just top fucking notch: the terrain is interesting and highly variegated, the techs have these splash visuals that show up when you're considering researching them and then turn into resplendent full color when you complete them, natural wonders are huge and imposing and cool while strategic and luxury resources are modest but obvious... it's dope.

I like the combat system even though I haven't seen much of it having only attacked wild animals so far.

They've clearly put a ton of work into creating events based on your existing society; I got an event that let me reverse the superstitious nature of my people which I had created with a previous event and replace it with a spirit of inquiry. In all of these events there's a model of "decent default option, one or more slightly more powerful alternate options if you meet the requirements".

Can't wait to see a version with the nomadic tribes part of the game.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    people keep releasing their 30-60$ multiplayer shooters and they keep dying

you ain't activision-blizzard guys, just bite the bullet

liEt3nH.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Beyond Good and Evil is a decent 3D action platformer, I'm not sure why it's hailed as a super great memorable cult classic though

BahamutZERO.gif
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    So if you own Far Cry 5 and you're thinking "hey maybe I should give the DLC a play through, see if it's fun", I cannot stress strongly enough that no, you should ignore the zombie DLC pack, it's fucking interminable dross.

The character driving the story is the douchebag z-grade movie director and it's literally just "get zerg rushed over and over and over again by 'zombie-ish' mobs" in all 7 chapters of the pack.

I got to the point where I just gave up and force-closed the game in the middle of a mission because it was somehow boring and stupid and frustrating all at the same time.

Far cry’s dlc is always such lazy garbage. Especially compared to assassins creed dlc which is fantastic

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    So if you own Far Cry 5 and you're thinking "hey maybe I should give the DLC a play through, see if it's fun", I cannot stress strongly enough that no, you should ignore the zombie DLC pack, it's fucking interminable dross.

The character driving the story is the douchebag z-grade movie director and it's literally just "get zerg rushed over and over and over again by 'zombie-ish' mobs" in all 7 chapters of the pack.

I got to the point where I just gave up and force-closed the game in the middle of a mission because it was somehow boring and stupid and frustrating all at the same time.

Far cry’s dlc is always such lazy garbage. Especially compared to assassins creed dlc which is fantastic

Blood Dragon was lazy? That. . .is an interesting take.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »

Blood Dragon was lazy? That. . .is an interesting take.

Pretty much the exception that proves the rule.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Blood Dragon wasn't DLC, it was stand-alone. Same with Primal.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    The Long Dark gets way less exciting once I'm geared

I wonder if I should've chosen Interloper difficulty instead of Stalker but I really wanted to see the revolver

Also I assume Interloper has an absolutely ridiculous number of wolves

Yeah I tend to start a new game as soon as it gets comfortable. The early struggle to survive is the whole point.

As I recall Interloper actually has fewer wolves, because it has less wildlife in general, but they are more aggressive I think.

I tend to play on custom difficulty. So I can have the rifle, but most containers are empty, and there's very little wildlife.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Beyond Good and Evil is a decent 3D action platformer, I'm not sure why it's hailed as a super great memorable cult classic though
    Fantastic soundtrack, fun cast of characters and a super likable, female non-white protagonist.

Considering what we know of Ubisoft now, how Michel Ancel managed to pull that off is beyond me, but I'm not surprised the sequel was started and cancelled a million times after.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    RawrBear wrote: »
    Yooo. Apparently iron harvest, that scythe (the board game) rts is in open (free) beta on steam? It seems pretty good! Anyone else check it out?
    I'm waiting for them to adapt My Little Scythe, the superior experience.

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I am really enjoying Fae Tactics so far
    I think this might be the first indie tactical rpg which actually nails the feel and gameplay of the genre
    Music is good, art is good. I'm playing on normal and it does a good job of easing you in with the mechanics before it starts increasing the difficulty

Don't go into it expecting Final fantasy tactics and $20 is a steal

edit: It's best to have a controller for this I feel

Peas on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »
    I am really enjoying Fae Tactics so far
    I think this might be the first indie tactical rpg which actually nails the feel and gameplay of the genre
    Music is good, art is good. I'm playing on normal and it does a good job of easing you in with the mechanics before it starts increasing the difficulty

Don't go into it expecting Final fantasy tactics and $20 is a steal

edit: It's best to have a controller for this I feel

Did you play Fell Seal? How does it compare to that if so? (Just was the last fantasy tactics I played that was a pleasant surprise)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Fell Seal was really well received by people but I really couldn't take the art style and didn't play it because I am a shallow person
    The biggest difference gameplay wise is that Fae Tactics does not have a class system and goes with a "menu-less" approach for battles which makes things really snappy. Despite that there are still quite a bunch of mechanics and systems in place which makes the game deeper than what it seems

Fae Tactics Review - Noisy Pixel 5:14
    https://youtu.be/LP08kXM6s_0

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    I don't think not playing a game because you dislike its art makes you a shallow person fwiw

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    yeah I also couldn't get into the fell seal art style

which is a shame because otherwise I've heard great things about it

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The struggle is definitely the main fun in The Long Dark but there is a certain joy in becoming a fully insane feral woodsperson wearing double bearskins and a moosehide cloak and deerskin pants and boots and gloves killing and eating and skinning and tanning and curing everything you see presumably crusted in frozen gore head to toe

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    speaking of pounds of erect, throbbing, cock meat: https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/57098
    Starting next month, FFXI is going to start getting new story quest content again. It's a long-term storyline over multiple updates, the first part starts in the August update. (The game has received monthly updates for years now, mostly with just balance changes and rotating events and boss fights)
    Also, they're doing a Return To Vana'diel event from the 7th until the 17th, anyone who has ever had an FFXI subscription can come back and play for free during that time.

ffxi getting updates is wild as hell

like, square has a newer, still very successful mmo in the same series going right now

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    So I got a beta key for Fall Guys

This game is pretty dang great

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I'm currently playing through the isometric Fallouts because someone posted Too Much Future, a very good playthrough YouTube series.

I'm most of the way through Fallout 2, and mostly I'm ashamed that anyone my age got into PC games in the first place. This is just a disgraceful experience.
    I'm curious what about it is turning you off. Fallout 1 was my first full-on RPG (I'd played Diablo 1 before that, which I guess introduced me to stats and stuff), and spread through me like the liquor-granted warmth on a chill autumn day. I absorbed Fallout 2 as quickly as I could, and those games are extremely fundamental to my adolescence. I think its fair to say that I'm not exactly objective about it, so I'm curious what isn't clicking for you.

Oh, no, this is like the dozenth time I've played through them, and they're a big part of my PC gaming DNA. But they've both aged extraordinarily badly, both from a design perspective and a content perspective.

So much about the games are just bugged, broken, or missing. Armor-piercing ammo was programmed backwards so that it does less damage against armored targets. In both games. Entire questlines are impossible to complete, and sometimes it's hard to tell if it's a programming error, a one-time bug, or just something that they started writing and didn't bother to finish. There are whole endings that were written for locations, but that are unattainable due to programming errors. The level of jank on full display is just something you don't see in big mainstream games today.

Some other stuff is irritating but more forgivable, like the amount of death and reloading you were expected to do back then. And the idea that you're not allowed to have weapons equipped in some towns is neat, but less neat when you have to individually tell each of your companions to put their weapons away as well, and the command is like three branches deep in the dialog tree.

As for the content, boy howdy. Fallout 2 in particular is a minefield of edgy 90s white boy humor. It's not always clear when they're being horrible about race, gender and sex work on purpose because they think it's funny, and when it's genuinely down to unexamined prejudice. All stuff I thought was pretty hilarious as a feckless teen, but kind of hard to experience through a modern lens.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

ffxi getting updates is wild as hell

like, square has a newer, still very successful mmo in the same series going right now

XI has like 10,000 concurrent players, so it's not struggling, but it's floating on just fine. It's still a lot of fun, and it's weird (as someone who came back to it a few months ago) to see so many people who've stuck around with it for EIGHTEEN years.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I was like, right on the precipice of resubbing to FFXI to play through the plot, since apparently where I dropped off is where it gets much more interesting.

Guess I know how I'm spending part of my month.

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    H0b0man wrote: »
    So I got a beta key for Fall Guys

This game is pretty dang great

I always dive over the finish line for style points

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'm currently playing through the isometric Fallouts because someone posted Too Much Future, a very good playthrough YouTube series.

I'm most of the way through Fallout 2, and mostly I'm ashamed that anyone my age got into PC games in the first place. This is just a disgraceful experience.
    I'm curious what about it is turning you off. Fallout 1 was my first full-on RPG (I'd played Diablo 1 before that, which I guess introduced me to stats and stuff), and spread through me like the liquor-granted warmth on a chill autumn day. I absorbed Fallout 2 as quickly as I could, and those games are extremely fundamental to my adolescence. I think its fair to say that I'm not exactly objective about it, so I'm curious what isn't clicking for you.

Oh, no, this is like the dozenth time I've played through them, and they're a big part of my PC gaming DNA. But they've both aged extraordinarily badly, both from a design perspective and a content perspective.

So much about the games are just bugged, broken, or missing. Armor-piercing ammo was programmed backwards so that it does less damage against armored targets. In both games. Entire questlines are impossible to complete, and sometimes it's hard to tell if it's a programming error, a one-time bug, or just something that they started writing and didn't bother to finish. There are whole endings that were written for locations, but that are unattainable due to programming errors. The level of jank on full display is just something you don't see in big mainstream games today.

Some other stuff is irritating but more forgivable, like the amount of death and reloading you were expected to do back then. And the idea that you're not allowed to have weapons equipped in some towns is neat, but less neat when you have to individually tell each of your companions to put their weapons away as well, and the command is like three branches deep in the dialog tree.

As for the content, boy howdy. Fallout 2 in particular is a minefield of edgy 90s white boy humor. It's not always clear when they're being horrible about race, gender and sex work on purpose because they think it's funny, and when it's genuinely down to unexamined prejudice. All stuff I thought was pretty hilarious as a feckless teen, but kind of hard to experience through a modern lens.

I think Bethesda games still give the fallouts a run for their money for broken shit. I played both and I remember one being mostly stable, a few bugs but nothing outstanding compared to anything else of the time. Fallout 2 was definitely broken, but I got lucky in that it broke in my favor and I got the car trunk on every map bug.

I still think their core story concepts are better than fallout 3/4, but yea, I am sure it is just chocked full of terrible 90s humor. I did like the easter eggs though, like the exploded whale and tulip, the Guardian of Forever, the truck full of worthless bottle caps, the crashed alien and I'm sure others.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    HOLY SHIT

https://youtu.be/9QdGzJhunb4

did we talk about this?!

can we talk about it now regardless??!

Because I am furiously downloading it as soon as it gets released

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

I think Bethesda games still give the fallouts a run for their money for broken shit. I played both and I remember one being mostly stable, a few bugs but nothing outstanding compared to anything else of the time. Fallout 2 was definitely broken, but I got lucky in that it broke in my favor and I got the car trunk on every map bug.

I still think their core story concepts are better than fallout 3/4, but yea, I am sure it is just chocked full of terrible 90s humor. I did like the easter eggs though, like the exploded whale and tulip, the Guardian of Forever, the truck full of worthless bottle caps, the crashed alien and I'm sure others.

Anyone who doesn't take the Wild Wasteland perk in a 3D Fallout game is short-changing themselves.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular

Oh, yeah, the high points are still very high. Vault City's basement full of water chips is still very funny, and I'm still mad that the later games didn't revisit the talking deathclaws at all. It's just no longer worth it to me to slog through the mess to get to the good bits.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Oh, yeah, the high points are still very high. Vault City's basement full of water chips is still very funny, and I'm still mad that the later games didn't revisit the talking deathclaws at all. It's just no longer worth it to me to slog through the mess to get to the good bits.

I loved Fallout 1's Story twist 1/3 of the way through. It's like "Ok yea the vault is safe, but the wasteland is fucked if you don't get back out there". Then that goddamn ending.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    HOLY SHIT

https://youtu.be/9QdGzJhunb4

did we talk about this?!

can we talk about it now regardless??!

Because I am furiously downloading it as soon as it gets released

they're also re-recording the entire game using local Spanish voice actors

https://youtu.be/bmTol_zKaT0

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Man, I wish I enjoyed the gameplay of Blasphemous, because the setting and themes are incredibly my shit.

edited August 2020
    what's blowing my mind here is that this is free DLC

this isn't a small cosmetic update either, it seems like a substantial expansion of the original experience

I guess the game must've sold like gangbusters at release because I just cant see how this makes any kind of financial sense otherwise

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Man, I wish I enjoyed the gameplay of Blasphemous, because the setting and themes are incredibly my shit.

let me tell you about Berserk

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    do not let him tell you about Berserk

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    berserk is good

This discussion has been closed.