As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Lego] Thread

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    So ..that's not Lego? Just something that looks just like Lego?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

The patents on lego bricks expired long ago. So as long as you aren't stepping on their IP directly, you can make lego-compatible stuff no problem.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I'd rather like to see an example of these licensed Transformer kits that aren't Kre-O, considering that Kre-O is marketed and sold in Asian markets as well, and in fact has China-specific property licenses.

Here's the first one I could find from the TFW2005 forums/site. It really is odd that Hasbro would license it when they sell their own Kre-O in China like you said.

https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/xiaomi-onebot-nezha-x-transformers-brick-build-figures.1193386/

I think further in the thread they also have a Bumblebee and Megatron I believe.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

The patents on lego bricks expired long ago. So as long as you aren't stepping on their IP directly, you can make lego-compatible stuff no problem.

yeah the only problem with off-brand stuff is that the quality control can vary

we had sets in where brick studs weren't quite wide enough for them to keep a good grip, and others where the sides of bricks were made of such thin plastic they would crack or split if you put pressure on them

it's say about 80% of them are nearly as good as lego, but occasionally you'll get a crapshoot set, and it's really hard to tell when that will happen

things have gotten considerably better in quality though over the last ~10 years

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Transformers is a partnership between Hasbro and Takara/Tomy. I am not sure who is the primary, but I suspect Hasbro these days. But Takara/Tomy is well within their rights to license to other companies besides Hasbro -- which likely explains all the official models and the like in Japan.

Such things make my head hurt almost as much as deciphering Pokemon rights.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Transformers is a partnership between Hasbro and Takara/Tomy. I am not sure who is the primary, but I suspect Hasbro these days. But Takara/Tomy is well within their rights to license to other companies besides Hasbro -- which likely explains all the official models and the like in Japan.

Such things make my head hurt almost as much as deciphering Pokemon rights.

Hasbro seems to be is the owner of Transformers everywhere but Japan where Takara/Tomy has the license there. At least it is much easier to understand their working relationship compared to Macross....

oosik_betsuni.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Yeah that looks very cool. I would buy it if I saw it in stores! I don't get the hate just because it isn't a LEGO® kit.

Yeah that looks very cool. I would buy it if I saw it in stores! I don't get the hate just because it isn't a LEGO® kit.

The main hate is because some of these kits have some faults (pieces not fitting properly, bad engineering, pieces not having the same tolerances leading to weaknesses, etc.) that have led some to want Lego to do them instead.

I was tempted to get these kits till I saw the price and decided not to gamble on them. The one @Brolo and I posted was unfortunately a somewhat limited sales in China.

Man, I can't believe that the NES kit will be available on Friday Night!!! I'm so excited and can't wait to buy one.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

That does look neat. That said, for me one challenge that a decent sized Optimus Prime set has is that once the price goes above a certain point it has to compete with the idea of waiting for whatever next version of Optimus gets released as a Transformers Masterpiece figure which I'll definitely make sure and pick up this time around!

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Has anyone got any experience in a madly anticipated online Lego release? What time tomorrow do I want to be camping the NES page of the UK Lego store?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I thought Hasbro was giving Kre O another go

Has anyone got any experience in a madly anticipated online Lego release? What time tomorrow do I want to be camping the NES page of the UK Lego store?

I only know that it pops up at 12AM EST in the US, so maybe the same for the UK? Aka, midnight the 1st (not sure which way you take that but basically the first minutes of the 1st, not the end of the day).

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I had to go to a Target today. They had all the Mario sets out except for the starter set. So either they didn’t put that one out early, or it is already sold out. Good thing I preordered that one I guess.

Still undetermined on the NES. If they still have any in mid August I might get it as a reward for surviving the first weeks of school.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Goddamnit! The NES is up in the UK but I can't log in to my Lego account because it wants to send me an activation email that isn't happening for some reason. Could buy as a guest but that's a lot of VIP points to miss out on.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I got El Fuego's Stunt Truck for $7 today, so that was nice. Check out a Wal-Mart clearance aisle.

Magell on
    Screw it, ordered as guest. Still no email receipt through so guess they're under heavy demand at the moment? But the website all worked fine and I have an order number so all looks good.

NES! Hooray!

Hopefully I can find a nice CS rep to sort me the VIP points when it's not 1 in the morning.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    The Lego store website is in a state that I would describe as "boned to hell". I think I managed to get the NES, the Mario starter, the Yoshi house, a few of the Mario character packs, and a Duplo set for my kid, but I feel like at this point, it's Schrodinger's Order. I won't know if I've truly ordered this stuff or not until a box arrives at my home and I open it.

Landed a NES for us as well. Luckily we caught the site loading before 9 PM PST so got in before the site burped. They are still for sale which is nice to see.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    The Grand Piano is already backordered come on!

Delduwath wrote: »
    The Lego store website is in a state that I would describe as "boned to hell". I think I managed to get the NES, the Mario starter, the Yoshi house, a few of the Mario character packs, and a Duplo set for my kid, but I feel like at this point, it's Schrodinger's Order. I won't know if I've truly ordered this stuff or not until a box arrives at my home and I open it.

By the way I hate you. Had to go back to see the Yoshi house... Another order later and we now have a few Super Mario sets to go with our Starter Set we pre-ordered a while ago.
    Sarksus wrote: »
    The Grand Piano is already backordered come on!

Holy cow, I didn't think that it would be that in demand.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I wonder if piano players were like "this is when I get into LEGO".

I had it in my cart and then I needed to do something else and when I got back it was backordered boooooo.

Betsuni wrote: »
    Delduwath wrote: »

By the way I hate you. Had to go back to see the Yoshi house... Another order later and we now have a few Super Mario sets to go with our Starter Set we pre-ordered a while ago.
    :heartbeat:

Honestly, I super-don't care about the levels in those Mario packs. I just want the characters. Like, you bet I want Bowser, but do I want him enough to also get all those bricks that I (frankly) am never going to have time to use?

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    I purchased a Brickloot light kit for the Parisian Restaurant. It's beautiful when it's put together, but I'm not happy with the way the light kit fits into the set.

Is there a light kit or light kit brand that folks in the thread like?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I ordered the Lego NES kit, and the first attempt supposedly failed, but the second one went through. I'll uh...be keeping an eye on it to make sure I didn't order two, by accident. I'm looking forward to building it! I got that big ol' Lego A-Wing set they put out in...I guess probably May? fuck I don't know anymore, but that got me through a full day of sheltering in place, which was nice.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    oh0exUpl.jpg

C7uZGPyl.jpg

O3JoThql.jpg

VN7JnBKl.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited August 2020
    So with the blind bag Mario packs, is there any way to get a guaranteed full set other than eBay? Like if I find a real world shop with them and can snag a full display will that have them all or still be randomised?

Edit: I guess I’m not mad rushed for the rest of the Mario stuff. Even if there’s an initial buyout I can’t see this stuff not being in big production through Christmas. The NES was my only worry as a much more niche item.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    So with the blind bag Mario packs, is there any way to get a guaranteed full set other than eBay? Like if I find a real world shop with them and can snag a full display will that have them all or still be randomised?

Edit: I guess I’m not mad rushed for the rest of the Mario stuff. Even if there’s an initial buyout I can’t see this stuff not being in big production through Christmas. The NES was my only worry as a much more niche item.

If they continue with the same sequence they've used since abandoning chase rares, they distribution is very even in the blind bag boxes. (Last unboxing I saw of I think series 18 ended up with like exactly 4 of each in their box)

The better route if have access to them on a shelf store is to Google a feel guide, can usually get a good half of any set off unique feel easy with the other half being trickier but also doable. Can save you buying a full box at least possibly

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    At the best of times I’d not be keen on that plan. But in a pandemic feeling up all the bags and putting them back on the shelf is a definite bad idea. Though you have now given me the fear of touching any I do see on shelves because I suspect plenty still will!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    The premium that people charge for a full set on eBay is so small that I'd just go ahead and buy them there. Hell, I did for a couple of series where I wanted all of them for my kids - you will definitely spend more money trying to get a full series on your own unless you are able to get some practice and become a master at IDing them by feel.

Yeah, I think I just need to wait for the initial rush prices to die down. UK EBay only has silly markup listings at the moment.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ya since chase rares stopped you can usually get them on eBay for about the same price as the bag itself

Heck, if truly still want the bag experience , can buy pre-felt guaranteed sets of closed bags at very little markup usually too

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

yeah the only problem with off-brand stuff is that the quality control can vary

we had sets in where brick studs weren't quite wide enough for them to keep a good grip, and others where the sides of bricks were made of such thin plastic they would crack or split if you put pressure on them

it's say about 80% of them are nearly as good as lego, but occasionally you'll get a crapshoot set, and it's really hard to tell when that will happen

things have gotten considerably better in quality though over the last ~10 years

The tolerancing on Lego is phenomenal. It's beyond what you can expect in basically any other injection molding.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    edited August 2020

Yeah, everybody seems to be pre-COVID-19 you could figure out what is in the bag by a "touch guide" and yes a smaller set of people are still doing it. If you have a LEGO store nearby you can go and ask the employees to help you out since 99% of them are also Lego geeks and probably know the feel guides as well.

I don't blame you for not wanting to do this in person, and I am sure that you can buy a box from Lego.com once the hype dies down, and if they are like the minifig sets, you will get one full set plus the chance to have two.
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I wonder if piano players were like "this is when I get into LEGO".

I had it in my cart and then I needed to do something else and when I got back it was backordered boooooo.

Seriously! Well the good news is that you can buy it with the backordered button and they'll ship it when the next shipment comes in. At least it isn't the "no order will be placed till it comes out of backorder" level.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Got the nes. Still seems availability online in the USA if anyone is interested.

The thing I like about the Mario blind bags is that if you get some duplicates, it's still just, like, Lego. I suppose the printed pieces will be less versatile, but everything else can just be used to build something else. And even the printed pieces are mostly just eyes, I think.

But also, even if I don't use the pieces to build something else, having two Bob-Ombs appeals to me way more than having two minifig Kings or two Olde Time Prospectors or whatever.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    jmcdonald wrote: »
    Got the nes. Still seems availability online in the USA if anyone is interested.

I got paypal confirmation, but not Lego so I hope mine went through.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
      Hey I accidentally ordered something as a guest. is there a way to add it to my VIP page for tracking?

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
      Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
    • see317see317 Registered User regular
      Elbasunu wrote: »
      Hey I accidentally ordered something as a guest. is there a way to add it to my VIP page for tracking?

Generally if you contact their customer support they'll be able to get it added for you.

This discussion has been closed.