As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hearthstone] THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Well then. Those who know me know that I’m a Johnny type gamer. I don’t really get a lot of enjoyment out of playing the Flavour of the Week meta deck. I’m way more likely to play my home brew Cyclone Mage or Tess Rogue or Big Warrior or whatever else gives me crazy value and randomness. As a Jimmy, I don’t mind losing a lot if I can get my crazy epic fun wins.

Tonight, I had somehow ended up at Diamond rank 2 in Wild. So, I fired up Tess Rogue to push for Legend! I think that I won three games with Tess Rogue tonight. All three of those games came well after I hit the rank floor. But then I started to worry: was I sabotaging my MMR? If I kept this up, would I have less than ten stars for my climb in August?

So, I decided to put on a Spike hat. I went to Tempo Storm and grabbed their Wild Even Shaman list. From the rank 5 floor, I lost three games on my climb to Legend - one to Reno Quest Mage and two to Big Shaman - which I think puts me at 19-3. My final boss was a Disco Warlock, who conceded on turn five. Even Shaman is just filthy right now, and I feel a little dirty, but it is fun to think that I’m a half decent player when I play a meta deck.

2x (0) Totemic Might
    2x (0) Totemic Surge
    2x (2) Crackle
    2x (2) Devolve
    2x (2) EVIL Totem
    2x (2) Maelstrom Portal
    2x (2) Murkspark Eel
    2x (2) Totem Golem
    2x (4) Draenei Totemcarver
    2x (4) Splitting Axe
    2x (4) Squallhunter
    1x (4) Vessina
    1x (6) Genn Greymane
    1x (6) The Lurker Below
    1x (6) The Storm Bringer
    2x (6) Thing from Below
    2x (10) Sea Giant

Code: AAEBAYHaAwTN9AKh+ALmpQOTwgMN0wG+BtYPshS1FPuqAqC2Ava9ApTvAp2jA9qlA/mlA6ytAwA=

The Lurker Below is an amazing addition to the deck. I’m not so fond of the Storm Bringer though. I ended up playing it maybe three times, and each time it was basically all low rolls.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »
    Yeah I'm in games where the first deaths aren't happening til turns 8-10

Bigglesworth is not a good Hero. He might actually be the worst hero they've ever released.

edit: Nevermind, apparently HSReplay has him solidly in Tier 2 so what do I know
    forty wrote: »
    edit: Nevermind, apparently HSReplay has him solidly in Tier 2 so what do I know
    Day one stats might not be the most accurate, but what ranking are you looking at? From what I can see in free mode, he is actually at the very bottom of T2, just barely on the cusp of being T3, so I dunno about "solidly." That makes him right around average so far.

I was right about his placement curve being wacky as shit though, wow.

AHHHH NEVERMIND DAY ONE DATA WAS CRAPPING UP THE TUBES

JmpceBR.png

TIER 4 TIER 4 TIER 4

I was RIGHT motherfuckers

Kittycat bad hero hell yeah

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I mean, who was disagreeing with you?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    How are tiers calculated exactly?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I suspect kitty cat is mega high roll, so it's going to be like Alex: bad on average but sometimes has games where it just obliterates the lobby and gets an easy first.

• Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I mean, who was disagreeing with you?

myself

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    How are tiers calculated exactly?

How frequently the hero gets a certain placement. You can see the bell curves to the far right in that image.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    So I finally took a chance on seeing how The Beast changes in Battlegrounds when you gold it up. Pretty substantial stat boost, more than usual for minions. If it dies on an opening attack while the enemy pool is full I guess that eliminates the risk of the freebie it'd grant them.

Beasts seem like an expensive and heavily luck driven deck to try and run with. Their buffs come in very small doses. Not sure if Rabid Saurolisk is meant to last most / all of the game. There's a ton of Deathrattle cards that could hypothetically get dropped in like any other Battlecry in that regard.

I also had a chance to try something out and it got some pretty solid results; making as many minions have Taunt as possible, aside from Pack Leader so it could drop buffs for as long as possible in the match.

Overall though I think a required card regardless of minion focus is Goldgrubber. As soon as that showed up in the game for a couple players I started reliably losing fights (it never rolled up for me in the tavern).

Edit - Oh yeah how valid / advised is it to buy Shifter Zerus and hold onto it? I had three copies in my hand at one point.

Henroid on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    TIER 4 TIER 4 TIER 4

It's usually right to agree with me, Dibby. :P

• Options
    edited August 2020
    So I finally took a chance on seeing how The Beast changes in Battlegrounds when you gold it up. Pretty substantial stat boost, more than usual for minions. If it dies on an opening attack while the enemy pool is full I guess that eliminates the risk of the freebie it'd grant them.

Beasts seem like an expensive and heavily luck driven deck to try and run with. Their buffs come in very small doses. Not sure if Rabid Saurolisk is meant to last most / all of the game. There's a ton of Deathrattle cards that could hypothetically get dropped in like any other Battlecry in that regard.

I also had a chance to try something out and it got some pretty solid results; making as many minions have Taunt as possible, aside from Pack Leader so it could drop buffs for as long as possible in the match.

Overall though I think a required card regardless of minion focus is Goldgrubber. As soon as that showed up in the game for a couple players I started reliably losing fights (it never rolled up for me in the tavern).

Edit - Oh yeah how valid / advised is it to buy Shifter Zerus and hold onto it? I had three copies in my hand at one point.

Shifter Zerus is a good buy IF:

- It shows up early
    - You are ahead on board
    - You are playing as Millhouse (since all minions cost 2 Gold, it is a much lower risk investment)

Zerus can highroll like absolutely crazy, but he can also lowroll. For, many turns, as it turns out. He's absolutely worth buying, but keep in mind that it is a 3 gold investment. You will be down that amount of gold until he rolls into something you can use (or decide that it's no longer worth keeping and pitch him).

Also, The Beast is better than people give it credit for, I think. Especially if you're behind on board. Yes, the deathrattle can often be detrimental, but you're also investing into a 9/7 body, which early on can make quite a difference. I often take The Beast if I'm behind and just need stats. Cause boy does he bring em.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular

All golded minions double both their stats, which means it's a bigger buff for larger base minions like the beast, yeah.

The endgame with beasts is to make them huge with either Goldrinn or Mama Bear, both tier 6 units. You can run with the deathrattles and pack leader early but they will sharply fall off in effectiveness once the midgames starts ending.

Goldgrubber is one of the best scaling cards in the game, so you're not wrong. Actually getting it with 1-2 golden minions on board is another matter, though. Not required but definitely good.

In lower ranked games you can probably get away with that and hope to spike a few six drops, yeah. Otherwise buying Shifter is more like "I have a really strong board and three leftover gold and shifter is there, might as well buy it and hope for something good." It's not really something to consciously go for.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Still think moving Goldrinn to 6 doesn’t really make sense.

Like make the buff +3/+3, or +4/+2, but making him a 6 drop was nearly the same as straight up removing him.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    ronzo wrote: »
    Still think moving Goldrinn to 6 doesn’t really make sense.

Like make the buff +3/+3, or +4/+2, but making him a 6 drop was nearly the same as straight up removing him.

the correct answer was moving Macaw to T6 and leaving Goldrinn at T5

(or, yknow, remove Macaw, but)

Goldrinn being removed from T5 kneecaps Beasts as a comp super hard, since Goldrinn was actually a nice starting point (similar to Razorgore for Dragons). it's just so fucking hard to get Beasts rolling now. and Goldrinn himself does not have the power level of a T6 minion. fact of the matter is, Goldrinn was never a problem until Macaw showed up. and than all of a sudden the problem is Goldrinn, not the force multiplier for deathrattles that also buffs itself back from the dead. sure.

like what do you use Macaw with now? Spawn of N'Zoth? that's pretty tame. Selfless Hero? i... guess? it's just like, why does this card even exist anymore? you can't use it with actual deathrattles, not really, because of board space and attack order. like one time i managed to have a comp where i was running a mechano-egg and macaw and pooping out extra 8/8s, that was fun, but like... also i got lucky because i needed to have a minion die off first to create board space but then also not have macaw get sniped

like it's just in such a weird spot and honestly i'd rather they would've just removed it. it's such a toxic card and shouldn't be in the game, same as cannon.

edit: lol this is literally the exact same thing as when Shudderwock Shaman was a thing and Blizz goes "hmm yes, a card that cycles all battlecries.... and duplicates itself and returns those duplicates to hand that cost 1 mana..... well gee clearly the problem here is Saronite Chain Gang, mmhm. yup."

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Yilias wrote: »
    Reading their FAQ really just leaves me with more questions than I started with: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/hearthstone/t/faq-ranked-mode-overhaul-matchmaking/27937
    Q: How does matchmaking work for each season?

A: There are two matchmaking pools: matchmaking by rating (aka. MMR) and by rank.

When your star bonus multiplier is bigger than 1, or you are in Legend rank, you are (generally) in the first matchmaking pool; when your star bonus drops to 1, you are in the second pool.

Q: Why are there two matchmaking pools?

A: Since each player starts at the bottom of the ladder at start, we want fair matches for everyone (aka. win-rate close to 50%). At that time, your progression on ladder is protected by your star bonus, thus your net expected gain will be positive through the ladder. Once other players run out of star bonuses, matching by rank will allow for good players, or players who want to push themselves a bit, to be able to progress to a higher rank.

In short, having two matchmaking pools helps players progress in the ladder without having to grind as much, while still making most matches fair.

Q: If I “tank” my MMR at certain rank floor, will I be matched with easier opponents next season because you are matchmaking by MMR at the start?

A: No, in general you won’t. At the start of the season we will recover your MMR to certain threshold if it is dropped below that value, which is based on what your rank is in the previous season. Therefore, there would be no benefits to intentionally tank your MMR.

Q: How many stars bonuses do I get at the start of the season?

A: It depends on your current MMR and the rank you reached from your previous season, whichever gives a higher value.

Q: Will the value of my previous season’s MMR be exactly same as the new season?

A: Technically no, although the change will be very small and the “value order” will be kept (Player A whose MMR is larger than player B in the last season will still be ordered as such). Mathematically, a re-normalization process takes place at the start of each season to keep the distribution in a nice bell-shaped curve.

Like, say a player finished in low Plat with low Plat MMR. At the start of the season they play against low Plat MMR opponents in any sub-high Gold division via the MMR based matchmaking pool. Once they reach high Gold, they play against high Gold or low Plat MMR opponents that are in high Gold division (because people in high Gold with higher than low Plat MMR will still have star bonus and be in the MMR based matchmaking pool not the division based matchmaking pool).

So why do we have a divisions, a division based matchmaking pool, and a season reset at all if our opponents in either pool are necessarily of comparable MMRs? Does the entire division system exist purely to obfuscate the MMR system and push the psychologically appealing illusion of constant growth? Even if that were the goal, why create the second pool when the first pool is virtually equivalent for matching comparable opponents and both systems operate 'under the hood' anyway?
    Oh shit, @Yilias . I was thinking about this tonight and I think I figured out at least one reason to do it this way, and I'll use my account as an example.

Since switching to this system, I have ended up running out of stars at D5, so that's always where I spend the rest of the month (hitting it in the last week or so since I play pretty sparsely). If matchmaking continued against my MMR rather than against D5-1 players, I could just spam concede a couple hundred games to put my MMR into the dumpsterest of dumpsters, but I wouldn't drop below D5. Then all I'd have to do to get to legend is gain 16 stars starting with a horrible MMR, which would probably be a significantly easier effort than slogging through a field of tryhards also gunning for legend.

I mean, not that I'd complain if I could get my one-time Legendary like that, but that's probably the sort of thing Blizzard is trying to prevent.

forty on
  • Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    goldrinn beasts still works fine, you just play it more at the scale you play dragons kalecgos (ie: you have one or two of the tribe until you spike the carry minion and then fill out your board accordingly).

the real problem is that everyone is just pivoting murlocs constantly now bc it's common knowledge how to do it and murlocs is still unequivocally the best endgame comp

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    What I meant about The Beast's stats being bigger than normal gold upgrades is that it doesn't double from 9/7, it goes up to 21/18.

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    What I meant about The Beast's stats being bigger than normal gold upgrades is that it doesn't double from 9/7, it goes up to 21/18.

Golden units keep whatever buffs/enchantments you put on their non-golden parents. So in that case you had two The Beast already, who had a combined +3/+4. I guess that's only possible if you were playing rat king? Can't think of anything else that buffs beasts with more hp than atk. (edit: pyramad and pack leader would also do it. But then you should have played the second The Beast before buying the third.)

Grobian on
  • Options
    Grobian wrote: »

Golden units keep whatever buffs/enchantments you put on their non-golden parents. So in that case you had two The Beast already, who had a combined +3/+4. I guess that's only possible if you were playing rat king? Can't think of anything else that buffs beasts with more hp than atk. (edit: pyramad and pack leader would also do it. But then you should have played the second The Beast before buying the third.)
    No, it had none. With white numbers it went from 9/7 to 21/18 and they remained white numbers.

• Options
    Reading their FAQ really just leaves me with more questions than I started with: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/hearthstone/t/faq-ranked-mode-overhaul-matchmaking/27937
    Q: How does matchmaking work for each season?

A: There are two matchmaking pools: matchmaking by rating (aka. MMR) and by rank.

When your star bonus multiplier is bigger than 1, or you are in Legend rank, you are (generally) in the first matchmaking pool; when your star bonus drops to 1, you are in the second pool.

Q: Why are there two matchmaking pools?

A: Since each player starts at the bottom of the ladder at start, we want fair matches for everyone (aka. win-rate close to 50%). At that time, your progression on ladder is protected by your star bonus, thus your net expected gain will be positive through the ladder. Once other players run out of star bonuses, matching by rank will allow for good players, or players who want to push themselves a bit, to be able to progress to a higher rank.

In short, having two matchmaking pools helps players progress in the ladder without having to grind as much, while still making most matches fair.

Q: If I “tank” my MMR at certain rank floor, will I be matched with easier opponents next season because you are matchmaking by MMR at the start?

A: No, in general you won’t. At the start of the season we will recover your MMR to certain threshold if it is dropped below that value, which is based on what your rank is in the previous season. Therefore, there would be no benefits to intentionally tank your MMR.

Q: How many stars bonuses do I get at the start of the season?

A: It depends on your current MMR and the rank you reached from your previous season, whichever gives a higher value.

Q: Will the value of my previous season’s MMR be exactly same as the new season?

A: Technically no, although the change will be very small and the “value order” will be kept (Player A whose MMR is larger than player B in the last season will still be ordered as such). Mathematically, a re-normalization process takes place at the start of each season to keep the distribution in a nice bell-shaped curve.

Like, say a player finished in low Plat with low Plat MMR. At the start of the season they play against low Plat MMR opponents in any sub-high Gold division via the MMR based matchmaking pool. Once they reach high Gold, they play against high Gold or low Plat MMR opponents that are in high Gold division (because people in high Gold with higher than low Plat MMR will still have star bonus and be in the MMR based matchmaking pool not the division based matchmaking pool).

So why do we have a divisions, a division based matchmaking pool, and a season reset at all if our opponents in either pool are necessarily of comparable MMRs? Does the entire division system exist purely to obfuscate the MMR system and push the psychologically appealing illusion of constant growth? Even if that were the goal, why create the second pool when the first pool is virtually equivalent for matching comparable opponents and both systems operate 'under the hood' anyway?
    Oh shit, Yilias . I was thinking about this tonight and I think I figured out at least one reason to do it this way, and I'll use my account as an example.

Since switching to this system, I have ended up running out of stars at D5, so that's always where I spend the rest of the month (hitting it in the last week or so since I play pretty sparsely). If matchmaking continued against my MMR rather than against D5-1 players, I could just spam concede a couple hundred games to put my MMR into the dumpsterest of dumpsters, but I wouldn't drop below D5. Then all I'd have to do to get to legend is gain 16 stars starting with a horrible MMR, which would probably be a significantly easier effort than slogging through a field of tryhards also gunning for legend.

I mean, not that I'd complain if I could get my one-time Legendary like that, but that's probably the sort of thing Blizzard is trying to prevent.

That’s what I was trying to prevent last night with my last day Spiking. And yay, ten stars in Wild, so it either worked or was unnecessary.

Of course, I’m at nine stars in Standard again this month. I guess that Murloc Paladin remains on the menu until the expansion drops.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    I just had "Squallhunter," among other insane cards, played against me while trying to do my morning daily. 4 mana for a 5/7 card with +2 spell damage and overload 2. None of my 4 cost cards are 5/7, and they all have a single trait / special text.

• Options
    That's good, but it's no 4 mana 7/7.

• Options
    That's good, but it's no 4 mana 7/7.

It’s replaced the 4 mana 7/7 in Even Shaman. The 4 mana 7/7 just doesn’t have the stats to justify the cost, especially not for something that has no effect when you drop it on the board.

Wild Hearthstone!

• Options
    YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Juicing Maelstrom Portal to 3 damage is more often relevant than +2 attack.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • Options
    Juicing Maelstrom Portal to 3 damage is more often relevant than +2 attack.

And extending the burn range on Crackle!

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I just had "Squallhunter," among other insane cards, played against me while trying to do my morning daily. 4 mana for a 5/7 card with +2 spell damage and overload 2. None of my 4 cost cards are 5/7, and they all have a single trait / special text.

Overload 2 is supposed to be a drawback, though. They lock 2 of their mana crystals for next turn, so squallhunter costs 6 effectively. Now, Shaman does have overload synergy that mitigates this drawback and you can always argue that a specfic card isn't tuned correctly (overload lends itself to very explosive turns, because you "borrow" from the future and the future might not even happen if you kill your opponent fast enough) but you still can't equate more card text with a better card. That text is there on squallhunter specifically to make it "fair" (whether they achieved that goal or not).

In other news I have seen so many Bigglesworth die in 8th place, it's not even funny anymore. That needs to go back to the drawing board. I do like the idea and if you can discover golden minions you can get good returns on the hero power, but it's so super slow. Also they really need to show you all the info on the cards you discover.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    What time does this go live on the 6th as could I buy it on the 6th and still get the pre order stuff?

Can I or can I not?

• Options
    I've never paid attention, but I'm confident you'd be able to preorder on the 5th.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Grobian wrote: »

No, it had none. With white numbers it went from 9/7 to 21/18 and they remained white numbers.

j59qh7lykduh.png

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I swear it had no buffs prior or after making it gold. I am 100% certain. Maybe it was a visual glitch on my end?

• Options
    Oh shit, I got 11 star bonus for Wild! I have no idea where I placed end of season though.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I swear it had no buffs prior or after making it gold. I am 100% certain. Maybe it was a visual glitch on my end?

You probably just forgot. There are a helluva lot of large numbers in battlegrounds

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    What time does this go live on the 6th as could I buy it on the 6th and still get the pre order stuff?

Can I or can I not?
    If you do it before the content actually releases (typically around 10AM Pacific Time), probably? So you'd just have to buy it early in the morning.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    So far in Battlegrounds if I had to pick types by most favorite to least, it's Murlocs, Mechs, Demons, Beasts, Pirates, Dragons. I've won using each of them as a focus minus pirates, but the opportunity to capitalize on pirates hasn't come up for me just yet to really try.

Edit - Also just now I got to use the T6 card for Murlocs to 'adapt' them. Goddamn.

Henroid on
  • Options
    i'm starting up an exclusive new art collection titled "turn fucking eight"

EeWyTzqXkAEm5zy.png
    EeW2dBTXkAALJoU.png

turn fuckin' eight, y'all. :rotate:

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
  • Options
    dammit i sabotaged myself with a Beasts comp cause i totally forgot my Amalgadon had the stupid fucking deathrattle so Macaw didn't trigger Goldrinn

FUCK

DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Bigglesworth is not a good Hero. He might actually be the worst hero they've ever released.
    TIER 4 TIER 4 TIER 4

2mzc6lzxvawk.png
    i'm starting up an exclusive new art collection titled "turn fucking eight"

EeWyTzqXkAEm5zy.png

dafmsw6m7vjc.png

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    listen here dover

LISTEN HERE U LIL SHIT

any hero is a good hero if they're on Tier 5 and rocking Murlocs. even the bad heroes.

look, even a broken clock is right twice a day, OKAY? OKAY??????

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
  • Options
    Every time a BG patch comes out and Galakrond doesn't get buffed or shelved, my mind boggles.

Also, even with the buff, Aranna is still sitting second from the bottom. I wonder if they'll reduce the number of refreshes on her hero power again or just let her rot like the other crap heroes.

• Options
    listen here dover

LISTEN HERE U LIL SHIT

any hero is a good hero if they're on Tier 5 and rocking Murlocs. even the bad heroes.

look, even a broken clock is right twice a day, OKAY? OKAY??????

I want you to know that I put a lot of time and effort into that photoshop and your response made it all worthwhile.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page