As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Woo, I'm back from work and available for stompy robots. What flavor of Thursday night mech action are we doing these days, if any?

wWuzwvJ.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Oops! All UrbanMechs!

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    Woo, I'm back from work and available for stompy robots. What flavor of Thursday night mech action are we doing these days, if any?

Sorry, I haven't done an Oosik night since my Dad died in May. I'll get a routine back to start them up again because I miss my Stompy bots.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Paradox Interactive Humble Bundle is up, includeds Battletech for anyone who doesn't already have or wants to buy copies to share!

96058.png?1619393207
    Betsuni wrote: »

Sorry, I haven't done an Oosik night since my Dad died in May. I'll get a routine back to start them up again because I miss my Stompy bots.

Oh shit, I didn't know, I'm just getting caught back up on the boards. So sorry to hear that :(

wWuzwvJ.png
    I actually just realized I didn't post it here, only in the Steam thread so you're not late.

Thanks for your kind words.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    MWO: So close to Ace of Spades
    bz5ccw27hxc0.jpg

Quad LBX Sleipnirs are no joke

My last kill was against a guy who had the bright idea of turning his back on me after we started trading. The last one alive was a Shadow Cat that ran too far away from me.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    I had great fun not changing any of the start mechs.

Well, except the heirloom mech.

Which I made an AWS-8Q.

Highly recommended. I never get to use these lower weight mechs typically because they get outclassed so quickly.

So, for example, if you love the Dragon but actually want to use it consider starting with it.

Fair

'cuz the Dragon is a medium mech with a heavy's movement and initiative penalty

I feel like it's more accurate to say the Dragon is a heavily armored Jenner. Like, you can actually put basically the exact same loadout on it. In the early game that's fantastic, but by the time you're actually getting Heavy 'mechs, it just means a scout with an initiative penalty. Which you can overcome with pilot abilities and the like, but it's still annoying at best for most folks.

And I say all this as someone who genuinely loves the Dragon.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    I will say that I had a great time with my Dragon with Decker at the controls (that combination was a major reason how I was able to take out the ammo box mission).

But swapping him out was the right thing to do once I got anything better.

Finally checked where I was in the Battletech campaign. I'm at Extraction, so all I have to do is finish 4 more missions (not counting side missions to hunt for alternate assaults) and then I can start checking out the mods and DLCs.

Nobody wrote: »
    MWO: So close to Ace of Spades
    bz5ccw27hxc0.jpg

Quad LBX Sleipnirs are no joke

My last kill was against a guy who had the bright idea of turning his back on me after we started trading. The last one alive was a Shadow Cat that ran too far away from me.

I got Ace of Spades a while ago. Almost got Death Star on that drop too.
    I'm going to admit how I got it. This was during a buggy time on the server. I dropped and got disconnected, so rebooted and dropped in. Found out that both sides were bugged so sprinted over in my Locust and started coring out enemies as fast as I could. A teammate logged in and there were 3 left. He got one before I could kill him and the last one loaded so we had a 2 on one battle against a heavy. I got the kill since the enemy focused on my medium partner. The three of us got a good laugh out of it and dropped out.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Heh nice.

I got AOS a while ago though, I think it was in my King Crab when I was rolling 2xGauss 2xERPPC and the game was utterly bizarre in that everybody scattered to the winds on a Mining Collective.

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Feel like playing MW5 from an overhead camera perspective with a point and click interface like the old Mechcommander games? There's a [buggy, early release] mod for that:

https://youtu.be/cEQj95n3SfQ

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
    edited November 2020
    So I have modded the ever loving fuck out of MW5 and it feels like it's finally in a decent spot. If y'all have recommendations for mods not listed here please lemme know!

My modlist is as follows:

Better Spawns: Basically mandatory. Fixes the shitty spawning of the base game.
    https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/7

Mercs Reloaded: Massive overhaul of the game. Changes the mechlab to be more detailed, rescales mechs, heat effects depending on the map, thermal vision, and on and on.
    https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/161

MW5 Compatability Pack - Necessary for some of these mods to work
    https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/168

TableTopRulez_Enemy AI Mod - Fixes the enemy AI so that it does more than just run around in circles.
    https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/104

TableTopRulez_LanceMateAIMod - Fixes your lancemates so that they follow orders better and act on their own better
    https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/136

Kh0rnsOverhaulSoundmod - Massive overhaul of all the game sounds. Makes the mechs sound mechier, the weapons sound better, even the mechbay sounds more impressive.
    https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/170

Weather Improvement Mod - Pretty much what it says on the tin
    https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/131

SuperMedsMod VISUAL ONLY - Better hits and explosions and all that.
    https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/155?tab=files

3D Hud w/ Advance Zoom - Makes the HUD look like the HUD we first saw and adds MW4 style advance zoom.
    https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/98

Burt's Sound Mod (Bitching Betty Only) - MECHWARRIOR 3 BETTY!
    https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/102?tab=files

Paint Theme Saving: Create your own custom paint schemes and then save them.
    https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/34

Marketplace Equipment Viewer: See the details of mechs for sale besides just the weapons.
    https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/56

Limp Galore: Mechs stay limping after getting a leg shot off.
    https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/84

Mechwarrior 2 Music Reimagined: Adds MW2/Ghost Bear/Timothy Seals music to the game.
    https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/215?tab=description

Better Performance - FPS Drop Fix: Fixes a glitch that causes weapons fire to degrade performance over time.
    https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/211?tab=description

No Friendly Fire - What it says on the tin
    https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/225?tab=files

Star Map Mouse Over: Makes it so that you can mouse over planets and get the basic contract info at a glance.
    https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/150?tab=files&file_id=913

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Has there been a mod for the HBS game to allow for Quad 'mechs at all?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    I don't think that there are things that prevent it besides not having models and animations.

wbBv3fj.png
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Ah fuck I'm blind, I've been posting in the steam thread about this for days now. Didn't notice the actual thread was still active.
    Spent like two days mulling over my available marauder headshots builds, turns out the one I was using is probably the best one I have.
    Aioua showed me how to use a dice roller site to calculate the odds of landing particular amounts of damage to the head. The particular roller site was anydice.com, and for my marauder with two fifty damage L lasers, two 40 damage L lasers, one 35 damage M laser, one 30 damage S laser, and one 20 damage S laser, I entered
    output 2d{0,0,50} + 2d{0,0,40} + 1d{0,0,35} + 1d{0,0,30} + 1d{0,020}
    That site gives you a bunch of statistical breakdowns on dice rolls, so I can just enter that, go to the "at least" data tab, and see what the odds are of hitting 65 damage or higher to the head.
    The insides of the curly braces are basically custom dice that I've set (that is to say, Aioua set it and then I copied him) to have three sides with zero, zero, and the damage of the gun on them. Called shot mastery and a marauder gives you a 35% chance to hit the head, as you probably already know, but for the sake of simplifying things a bit I made that a 1/3 chance. The zeros on the dice represent the chance to miss, and the damage the chance to hit, so if I wanted to do 35% I'd have to type seven of the damage value and thirteen zeroes for every weapon, and I didn't wanna.

I think from that you should be able to figure out how to use that to calculate whatever loadouts with whatever chances to hit you want. Since I've only just come into this thread, maybe everyone was already doing this or something like it, but if not, I hope this helps.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I’ve got a jupyter notebook that does the computation for any variety of damages because I’m a nerd.

edit: yes that includes the probability of hits with SRMs and machineguns

Orca on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I bought Battle tech last Christmas and beat the campaign recently and I had a massive ball. What a fun game.

I especially love the intro cinematic. I love how it manages to tell all this history without words.

I also like how the UI tells you pretty much everything you need to know before you make a move (although you do have to figure out how to read it, which it doesn't tell you, had to look up a guide).

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    Yeah, the UI is surprisingly effective. The only part that is completely non-obvious and I had to look up was the eject button. I had no idea that was even a button. Pretty big miss there.

The cinematic is so good! Nothing but some art and some music but it gives you a 5 minute overview of the history of Battletech to date, which I didn't know! I loved the Mechwarrior games, but didn't know any of the lore.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    That's something I appreciate about the game immensely. There's a lot of info given up front as you play. I was having a hell of a time with it, and then I finally learn about the turn order and how it functioned. That was huuuuuuuuuge.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't actually tell you anywhere exactly how much heat a jump is going to generate, does it?

Yeah, the UI is surprisingly effective. The only part that is completely non-obvious and I had to look up was the eject button. I had no idea that was even a button. Pretty big miss there.

The cinematic is so good! Nothing but some art and some music but it gives you a 5 minute overview of the history of Battletech to date, which I didn't know! I loved the Mechwarrior games, but didn't know any of the lore.

Yeah, I don't know why they didn't actually make the player press the eject button via the GUI during the prologue mission to teach how to do it but instead chose to just automatically eject you during the dialog. It's a weirdly wasted opportunity for learning a rather important function.

There's a tutorial prompt for the eject button existing.

Henroid wrote: »

Apparently not a big enough one because I either had to press the button out of curiosity or get the heads up here (can't remember which). Unlike most of the other stuff...
    cB557 wrote: »
    As far as I can tell, it doesn't actually tell you anywhere exactly how much heat a jump is going to generate, does it?

It shows you how much heat it's going to generate in the visual display of your estimated heat levels. If the heat is less than how much your mech will sink next turn it doesn't display it unfortunately, which is a bit of a miss. I feel like the number might be available maybe? But I don't feel like booting up the game to find out...

Apparently not a big enough one because I either had to press the button out of curiosity or get the heads up here (can't remember which). Unlike most of the other stuff...

It shows you how much heat it's going to generate in the visual display of your estimated heat levels. If the heat is less than how much your mech will sink next turn it doesn't display it unfortunately, which is a bit of a miss. I feel like the number might be available maybe? But I don't feel like booting up the game to find out...

If your actions raise heat levels it shows that and if your actions reduce heat it shows that. I'm not sure how you are supposed to otherwise indicate your actions start at 0 heat and end at 0 heat beyond just displaying 0 heat as it does.

edited August 2020
    The problem is that the jump is only half the heat cost for the turn. So if the jump is less than the sink you don’t know if you spent 5 or 30 of your base sink/turn budget. This effects which weapons you will shoot that turn

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    Yeah, whether you can alpha strike after a jump is something you just have to eyeball. And in general, for planning for turns ahead it'd really be nice to get hard numbers on how much heat I have, rather than just a bar.
    Also, while you technically have all the information you need to know your odds of breaking parts, you'd have to do some complex math to actually discern that, and on top of that you don't actually have all the information you need if you can't pull up a called shot to double check the hit table.

Yeah, more than once I've done a jump and then had my alpha strike turn into like a single weapon.

Though note that if you're replicating Orca's work (i am fairly sure Orca knows this) SRM's and other multi-shot weapons can only hit the head once per volley regardless of the probability to hit

wbBv3fj.png
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

Do they? That's good news. It certainly was not there at launch. Nor was the WITHDRAW button.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Though note that if you're replicating Orca's work (i am fairly sure Orca knows this) SRM's and other multi-shot weapons can only hit the head once per volley regardless of the probability to hit

Yeah, that's what makes them special (and a pain in the ass).

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    4 star battle. I know this map - if you head straight up the road you get pulverized by reinforcements spawning right into your right flank.

Business as usual - head up the hill to the left and then move up until the OpFor is spotted.

Oh, there they are, down on the road in formation...

6LQsreb.png

6Tc5E1X.png

QgvpF1n.png

xAEY33b.png

Oh yeah, this is going to be fun. :)

POSTSCRIPT:
    Annihilator 1 down!
    NpO3b7o.png

Annihilator 2 down!
    JEHnVHw.png

Stalker down!
    irnixeQ.png

King Crab down!
    H3GGb7T.png
    (Wanted to wait a turn to headhunt the crab, but the reinforcements had shown up w/ missiles to spare and I didn't want their spotter sticking around an extra turn.)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »

That's not quite how it works. I'm lazy so I'll copy & paste from the general Steam thread:

LRMs are super-bad for called shots to the head, they have an unique clustering mechanic that lets only the first missile check if it is a headshot. If that first missile hits the head, the others can hit the head as well but if it doesn't, no missiles from that salvo can hit the head. Once the first shot location has been determined the rest of the missiles mostly hit that location and the locations next to it.

Other multiple-hit weapons like SRMs and MGs have diminishing returns for the called shot bonus. The first shot has the full bonus, then the bonus is reduced by every following shot. They don't get the LRM headshot restriction though so both are good at getting random head hits but bad at doing enough damage to the head to actually destroy it.

Of course none of this information is available in-game. I think I've gotten it from Paradox forums or reddit.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    So I have modded the ever loving fuck out of MW5 and it feels like it's finally in a decent spot. If y'all have recommendations for mods not listed here please lemme know!

Mercs Reloaded: Massive overhaul of the game. Changes the mechlab to be more detailed, rescales mechs, heat effects depending on the map, thermal vision, and on and on.

TableTopRulez_Enemy AI Mod - Fixes the enemy AI so that it does more than just run around in circles.

TableTopRulez_LanceMateAIMod - Fixes your lancemates so that they follow orders better and act on their own better

Kh0rnsOverhaulSoundmod - Massive overhaul of all the game sounds. Makes the mechs sound mechier, the weapons sound better, even the mechbay sounds more impressive.

Hellfire and Brimstone - Better missile smoke trails, better debris and hit effects
    https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/151

SuperMedsMod VISUAL ONLY - Better hits and explosions and all that, technically overlaps with H&B but seems to work fine together.

3D Hud w/ Advance Zoom - Makes the HUD look like the HUD we first saw and adds MW4 style advance zoom.

Marketplace Equipment Viewer: See the details of mechs for sale besides just the weapons.

Taking a Fallout: New Vegas approaching to fixing the game hmm? :D

I've had a firestarter sitting in the racks for months now that I've been meaning to take out but never have. My player character is even a good candidate for its use, so I don't even have to risk a mortal with it, but I've just used light mechs so little that I'm worried about trying them out against things of so much higher tonnage.
    My PC has ace pilot, which I assume you want so you can reserve outside of LoS and move last in the turn, swing in for an alpha strike, then move first next turn to fire another alpha strike, and then ace pilot away again. I think with a full loadout of flamers, that's enough to shutdown any mech without a heat bank, yeah?
    Probably would pair well with my Marauders, come to think of it. You can make called shots on shutdown mechs, right?

Hellfire and Brimstone - Better missile smoke trails, better debris and hit effects
    https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/151

SuperMedsMod VISUAL ONLY - Better hits and explosions and all that, technically overlaps with H&B but seems to work fine together.

Taking a Fallout: New Vegas approaching to fixing the game hmm? :D

Nah. The core of the game is good(I would only recommend reloaded if you're done with the main game and need some more difficulty/reason to play through again). Its... not a terribly great construction. Advanced Zoom is cheat mode.

Better Spawns is actively bad.

The only really really good ones are the TTAI rules mods. It makes managing your AI lancemates much easier (since you have to do it far less)

wbBv3fj.png
    Iolo wrote: »

Do they? That's good news. It certainly was not there at launch. Nor was the WITHDRAW button.
    The withdraw button is a different story, that was NOT made known to me via the game.

• MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    I've had a firestarter sitting in the racks for months now that I've been meaning to take out but never have. My player character is even a good candidate for its use, so I don't even have to risk a mortal with it, but I've just used light mechs so little that I'm worried about trying them out against things of so much higher tonnage.
    My PC has ace pilot, which I assume you want so you can reserve outside of LoS and move last in the turn, swing in for an alpha strike, then move first next turn to fire another alpha strike, and then ace pilot away again. I think with a full loadout of flamers, that's enough to shutdown any mech without a heat bank, yeah?
    Probably would pair well with my Marauders, come to think of it. You can make called shots on shutdown mechs, right?

The problem with using flamers is that they have pitiful ammo. If you want to shut mechs down, inferno missiles are a better bet. The best Firestarter build just loads it up with SLs and MGs and melee damage mods and runs around punching stuff and/or jumping behind enemies and coring them with the huge alpha from all those support weapons. As long as you have a pilot with pilotting 10 and an avoidance gyro and keep moving, a light mech is basically invulnerable to anything else than melee.

... Do you guys think it's possible to beat the campaign using only Urbanmechs (provided you buy them as soon as they're available and such)?