As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The General [Coronavirus] Discussion Thread can't open until schools do.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Paywalled(ish) but:

One of the first school districts in the U.S. to reopen its doors during the pandemic did not even make it a day before a call came from the county health department — a student who had walked the halls and sat in various classrooms had tested positive https://t.co/gTmeoCjZkW

from the article:
    Just hours into the first day of classes on Thursday, a call from the county health department notified Greenfield Central Junior High School in Indiana that a student who had walked the halls and sat in various classrooms had tested positive for the coronavirus.

so.

yeah.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • BremenBremen Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Tox wrote: »
    It is August first

*rolls dice*

At least 150 hospitalized due to salmonella outbreak in 48 states. https://t.co/LZFWA4m0t8

Sure hope nobody has any trouble getting admitted to a hospital

Not strictly on topic, but since this came up and it's important for this information to get to as many people as possible: The above tweeted article points to "backyard poultry" as the source of the outbreak.

The FDA has said that Red Onions are the source of the salmonella.

Edit: The CDC is saying the same.

Salmonella outbreak update: Do not eat, serve, or sell onions from Thomson International, Inc., or food made with them. This includes red, white, yellow, and sweet onions. 396 illnesses in 34 states. Read more: https://go.usa.gov/xfm3p

I was not previously aware that you could get salmonella from vegetables.

This is a whole new kind of disturbing.

You definitely can, it's one of the reasons you're not supposed to use raw feces as fertilizer for food crops.
    maraji wrote: »
    Did we ever get an update from the forumer who went to the ER with Covid symptoms early on and was told to go home and isolate because he (?) clearly had it so they didn’t want to waste a test?
    It is August first

*rolls dice*

At least 150 hospitalized due to salmonella outbreak in 48 states. https://t.co/LZFWA4m0t8

Not strictly on topic, but since this came up and it's important for this information to get to as many people as possible: The above tweeted article points to "backyard poultry" as the source of the outbreak.

Salmonella outbreak update: Do not eat, serve, or sell onions from Thomson International, Inc., or food made with them. This includes red, white, yellow, and sweet onions. 396 illnesses in 34 states. Read more: https://go.usa.gov/xfm3p

So is this a big national distributor or limited to a certain region? I wash all my produce as soon as it comes in the house nowadays so I don’t have any stickers on them, and I’d prefer not to throw out perfectly fine food when I’m limiting my grocery trips to once per ten days

Considering the ill are in 34 states I'm guessing national distributor. Unfortunately onions often aren't labeled, I'm guessing because the outer skin often flakes off.

• DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Kamar wrote: »
    chrisnl wrote: »
    I have heard of lettuce being a salmonella vector before, but this is the first time I've seen onions implicated. I would imagine it's a similar mechanic at play, though I'm unsure of the exact culprit in either case.

Fecal contamination of fields, if I'm not mistaken.

Chicken manure is used as a fertilizer. If improperly composted, it may still contain pathogens.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    Did we ever get an update from the forumer who went to the ER with Covid symptoms early on and was told to go home and isolate because he (?) clearly had it so they didn’t want to waste a test?
    It is August first

*rolls dice*

So is this a big national distributor or limited to a certain region? I wash all my produce as soon as it comes in the house nowadays so I don’t have any stickers on them, and I’d prefer not to throw out perfectly fine food when I’m limiting my grocery trips to once per ten days

34 states leads me to think it is a bit more than a regional concern.

6xmbpelexq4n.png

Though the west coast seems to have had more exposure.

Except washington, weird. With all the crying up here you think we eat onions everyday...

The infected onions are from California. Washington and Idaho also have a thriving onion industry. I'm betting they are eating more locally grown onions than imported in.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Wife has been cleared to return to work at the hospital, seems we were fortunate with her infection as it was relatively minor, though it’s definitely sucked her energy reserves out still even after symptoms being gone. The super weird side of it is that social distancing is literally impossible in our house so I’ve been inside with her constantly without masks. We assumed me getting infected was a sure thing. I’ve tested negative twice now and don’t have any symptoms beyond my normal scratchy throat and headache that allergies offer up. So either I had it previously (I was sick back in March, I have tested negative for antibodies as well so there’s that), I’m resistant somehow, or my wife somehow had no viral shedding of any kind. So confused. But glad she’s ok at least.

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    I know at my workplace we have made up 3 seperate breakroom areas that are all seperate rooms and ventilated. Only one person is allowed in at a time to eat on breaks or meals. Also all communal food is banned. Mask wearing at all other times obviously.

If you can not do that in a place with an outbreak you have no buisness opening.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    my workplace is has occupancy numbers and segregated desks and partitions and everything

except the IT office where I work, it's a closet with 8 people crammed into it

override367 on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2020
    Salmonella, huh? I wonder what it looks like what you have that and covid at the same time.

I bet it looks great.

Hey anyone know how Disney World is doing these days? Haven't heard anything since the ad, which I only saw with the audio replaced with the Lavender Town theme from Pokemon.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Salmonella, huh? I wonder what it looks like what you have that and covid at the same time.

I bet it looks great.

Hey anyone know how Disney World is doing these days? Haven't heard anything since the ad, which I only saw with the audio replaced with the Lavender Town theme from Pokemon.

I had a roommate get salmonella once. Dude didn't know if he was puking or shitting. Sometimes it was literally both, he'd shit in the toilet and vomit in the tub. He tried to have someone drive him home, he made it twenty minutes from our apartment before he had to have the person pull over so he could do the vomit shit dance again.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »

I bet it looks great.

I had a roommate get salmonella once. Dude didn't know if he was puking or shitting. Sometimes it was literally both, he'd shit in the toilet and vomit in the tub. He tried to have someone drive him home, he made it twenty minutes from our apartment before he had to have the person pull over so he could do the vomit shit dance again.

Getting both that and Covid (which has similar gastro effects for some people) sounds like you could literally die of dehydration.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    syndalis wrote: »
    It is August first

*rolls dice*

34 states leads me to think it is a bit more than a regional concern.

6xmbpelexq4n.png

Though the west coast seems to have had more exposure.

Except washington, weird. With all the crying up here you think we eat onions everyday...

The infected onions are from California. Washington and Idaho also have a thriving onion industry. I'm betting they are eating more locally grown onions than imported in.

At least in SE Washington, we're all about Walla Walla sweet onions down here.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Went to the grocery store today, as I do weekly. It was a pretty standard experience. Low population count, and everyone was wearing a mask, thankfully. I've been shopping at Trader Joe's because they don't screw around with masks.

However, when I got to their freezer section they were devastated. Literally three aisles of empty freezers. I asked one of the clerks what was up and he said that their warehouse has just stopped shipping them product. They used to get a shipment to stock once per day, and now they're lucky to get one once every three days. When they talk with their warehouse, the offered explanation is that they are 'way backed up'.

I'm beginning to wonder if this might not be the start of the food shortage we've been anticipating as a consequence of the pandemic. Honestly, I would have thought the fresh produce would be hit before the frozen foods, though.

VuIBhrs.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Went to the grocery store today, as I do weekly. It was a pretty standard experience. Low population count, and everyone was wearing a mask, thankfully. I've been shopping at Trader Joe's because they don't screw around with masks.

However, when I got to their freezer section they were devastated. Literally three aisles of empty freezers. I asked one of the clerks what was up and he said that their warehouse has just stopped shipping them product. They used to get a shipment to stock once per day, and now they're lucky to get one once every three days. When they talk with their warehouse, the offered explanation is that they are 'way backed up'.

I'm beginning to wonder if this might not be the start of the food shortage we've been anticipating as a consequence of the pandemic. Honestly, I would have thought the fresh produce would be hit before the frozen foods, though.

Even at the height of the pandemic panic buying my TJ's wasn't like that. Usually this happens though when something in their cases break and they have clear it all out.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Even at the height of the pandemic panic buying my TJ's wasn't like that. Usually this happens though when something in their cases break and they have clear it all out.

They said it was at the distributor level. Their case was fine, and hadn't had issues.

VuIBhrs.png

They said it was at the distributor level. Their case was fine, and hadn't had issues.

Probably not a food shortage but more likely someone fucked up something. Distributor level means a logistic shit show.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular

Mine was. Frozen section was completely empty like a week or two after the NBA shutdown when hoard mode first went into effect.

I would point out though that trader Joe's doesn't have the largest footprint and we only have one here so it's not surprising that they can get emptied out quick by either a demand surge or a distribution snag. Still a bit unnerving to see an entire frozen section completely bare, whatever the reason

Pellaeon wrote: »

Mine was. Frozen section was completely empty like a week or two after the NBA shutdown when hoard mode first went into effect.

I would point out though that trader Joe's doesn't have the largest footprint and we only have one here so it's not surprising that they can get emptied out quick by either a demand surge or a distribution snag. Still a bit unnerving to see an entire frozen section completely bare, whatever the reason

My Safeway was cleared out but TJ's kept going.

But also our supermarkets keep 2-3 days worth of food on hand with constant shipments. So a huge sudden surge being it pandemic buying or a blizzard coming can wipe them out.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Was also groceries shopping today and witnessed some enormous stupidity. Dude has to cough. What does he do?

Lifts the mask to do it.... then lowers it again.

I gave him a super angry glance and an audible "what the fuck", but decided against saying anything to him, since I didn't want his (posssible) diseasehole to become active again when he replied.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Fresh produce has never had any interruption at all at the places I shop. I can theorize that's because it is minimally processed, probably often on the farm itself. Meanwhile frozen meat has to go to a slaughterhouse/meat processing plant which are vulnerable to covid outbreaks.

Produce would get interrupted if the Republicans followed through on their xenophobia and banned foreign farm workers. They are not interested in doing that.

edited August 2020
    Was also groceries shopping today and witnessed some enormous stupidity. Dude has to cough. What does he do?

I gave him a super angry glance and an audible "what the fuck", but decided against saying anything to him, since I didn't want his (posssible) diseasehole to become active again when he replied.

My favorite "WTF?" grocery shopping moment so far was when I was in an aisle with another lady. We were both masked up, so I wasn't too uncomfortable.

I proceeded to watch as she picked up a box of cereal, and started to read the label. She squinted at the label as if struggling to read.

And then lowered her mask down onto her chin as she squinted, as if that would help her see it easier??? I guess???

It was like the mask equivalent of "turn the music down so I can see better" or something.

Removing your mask to cough, though, is some next-level buffonery.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

My favorite "WTF?" grocery shopping moment so far was when I was in an aisle with another lady. We were both masked up, so I wasn't too uncomfortable.

I proceeded to watch as she picked up a box of cereal, and started to read the label. She squinted at the label as if struggling to read.

And then lowered her mask down onto her chin as she squinted, as if that would help her see it easier??? I guess???

It was like the mask equivalent of "turn the music down so I can see better" or something.

Real "You have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel" energy

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular

Was she wearing glasses? If so, I can kind of see it because my mum has trouble with them fogging up.
    If not, yeah I don't know.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Rep. Raul Grijalva has tested positive, he's on the Natural Resources Committee with Gohmert so pretty solid chance that's where he got it.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Wife has been cleared to return to work at the hospital, seems we were fortunate with her infection as it was relatively minor, though it’s definitely sucked her energy reserves out still even after symptoms being gone. The super weird side of it is that social distancing is literally impossible in our house so I’ve been inside with her constantly without masks. We assumed me getting infected was a sure thing. I’ve tested negative twice now and don’t have any symptoms beyond my normal scratchy throat and headache that allergies offer up. So either I had it previously (I was sick back in March, I have tested negative for antibodies as well so there’s that), I’m resistant somehow, or my wife somehow had no viral shedding of any kind. So confused. But glad she’s ok at least.

Weird personal question, but are you and your wife different blood types, and are you type O? There’s some interesting data on blood types and the virus:
    An intriguing finding from the study was that there appeared to be a greater chance of people with blood types B and AB who were Rh positive testing positive for the virus. Even stronger evidence was assembled by the team that symptomatic people with blood type O were less likely to test positive.

There are also some studies that indicate that people with type A or B or AB blood may have trouble spreading to O (not that it’s impossible, just that it’s harder), but people with type O blood can easily spread to anyone.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Rep. Raul Grijalva has tested positive, he's on the Natural Resources Committee with Gohmert so pretty solid chance that's where he got it.

Fuck Gohmert.

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular

A study I heard of, a while ago now, said you have a 20% chance of getting it if someone you live with is infected. I assume that chance is a bit higher if the person is your significant other, but it still surprises me it's not more

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Hope Rep. Raul Grijalva a speedy recovery. Not Gohmert he can fuck right off.

steam_sig.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Probably not a food shortage but more likely someone fucked up something. Distributor level means a logistic shit show.

I went in because I like their potstickers and Bao, and they were cleaned out, which had never happened. A friend who works there told me it was something to do with a lack of drivers.

Also made clear the warehouse was not saying why there was a supply disruption

Fencingsax wrote: »

I went in because I like their potstickers and Bao, and they were cleaned out, which had never happened. A friend who works there told me it was something to do with a lack of drivers.

Also made clear the warehouse was not saying why there was a supply disruption

The checker I talked to this morning expressed frustration with this for sure. They specifically said they had asked multiple times about what was going on, only to be met with "We're backed up" every time. Which is apparently kind of unheard of.

VuIBhrs.png
  • Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Weird personal question, but are you and your wife different blood types, and are you type O? There’s some interesting data on blood types and the virus:
    An intriguing finding from the study was that there appeared to be a greater chance of people with blood types B and AB who were Rh positive testing positive for the virus. Even stronger evidence was assembled by the team that symptomatic people with blood type O were less likely to test positive.

There are also some studies that indicate that people with type A or B or AB blood may have trouble spreading to O (not that it’s impossible, just that it’s harder), but people with type O blood can easily spread to anyone.

I’m AB+ and she’s B+.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Muh freedoms, I don't care if I have to ruin everyone's day.

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-08-01-20-intl/h_8ad604eda5aa3be2fe3bc1b8ed1eb83c
    A Delta flight was forced to return to the gate when two of their customers wouldn’t wear masks, according to Delta Air Lines spokesperson Emma Protis.

Protis told CNN in an email that Flight 1227 on July 23 was on its way from Detroit to Atlanta when they were forced to turn around.

Delta released the following statement to CNN:
    "Flight 1227 from Detroit to Atlanta returned to the gate following two customers who were non-compliant with crew instructions. After a short delay, the aircraft departed to Atlanta.""

The two passengers were removed from the plane, Protis said.

According to Delta's website, "Delta customers and employees are required to wear a face mask, or appropriate cloth face covering over their nose and mouth throughout their travel, aligning with best practice guidelines from the CDC."

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-pandemic-08-01-20-intl/h_8ad604eda5aa3be2fe3bc1b8ed1eb83c
    A Delta flight was forced to return to the gate when two of their customers wouldn’t wear masks, according to Delta Air Lines spokesperson Emma Protis.

Protis told CNN in an email that Flight 1227 on July 23 was on its way from Detroit to Atlanta when they were forced to turn around.

"Flight 1227 from Detroit to Atlanta returned to the gate following two customers who were non-compliant with crew instructions. After a short delay, the aircraft departed to Atlanta.""

According to Delta's website, "Delta customers and employees are required to wear a face mask, or appropriate cloth face covering over their nose and mouth throughout their travel, aligning with best practice guidelines from the CDC."

I'm surprised they even left the gate before making sure everyone had masks on.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular

Probably took them off once the plane was in the air. Probably thought it was like a road trip and no matter what they the adult wouldn't actually follow through with don't make me turn this around threat.

steam_sig.png
  • StarZapperStarZapper Vermont, Bizzaro world.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

A study I heard of, a while ago now, said you have a 20% chance of getting it if someone you live with is infected. I assume that chance is a bit higher if the person is your significant other, but it still surprises me it's not more

Yea viruses and immune systems are wierd, the only virus out there with 100% chance of catching it if you get exposed is Ebola. The rest of them have various levels of exposure and infectiousness, and it's never a 100% sure thing. But for sure he just got really lucky. There're some studies right now seeing if there're any sort of immunities gained from prior exposure to the other coronaviruses that cause colds, but there's no data from that yet to support any sort of hypotheticals.

StarZapper on
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    So the attorney general of the state of Texas issued a finding this past week saying that local health authorities have no authority to mandate school closures. Previously the Texas Education Agency (state agency regulating schools, disbursing funds, etc.) said that if schools remain closed under a local health authority then they'll still get funding. After the attorney general's finding, TEA reversed course and said if schools do not offer in-person education for those that request it they will not get funding.

Soooo that's great ya know.

Well the superintendant of one of the public San Antonio school districts on the news went "okay sure and we will sue you and see you in court"

TNTrooper wrote: »

Probably took them off once the plane was in the air. Probably thought it was like a road trip and no matter what they the adult wouldn't actually follow through with don't make me turn this around threat.

Man. People fucking suck.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Yeah. Lotta people seem to think flight attendants are like waiters or waitresses.

I mean, they do that too, but they're also there for emergencies. You either obey them or you will regret it. They can, and will, turn this plane right around young man!

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

Man. People fucking suck.

You can bet that literally every single passenger laid into them until the absolute second they left the plane.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    Sucks for the people on that plane, but that hardline stance absolutely will cut down on people trying that shit in the future.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    You can bet that literally every single passenger laid into them until the absolute second they left the plane.

I'm just thinking of that Airplane scene with the line of passengers. You know the one.

aTBDrQE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.