As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Summer 2020 [TV]: Revenge of the Bachelor

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Yes, it’s extremely sweet and good! First season is maybe a bit rough but it really finds its way and just gets better and better.

i just started it today and i'm up to the 9th episode and loving it (except for Roland)

it's one of those shows (like parks & rec) that i always heard "the first season is rough" and i end up enjoying it

but i watched the first season of the office and legends of tomorrow while they aired so i can take it

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Roland took a while to grow on me, yeah.

And I don’t mean the show is bad at the beginning, I just think it doesn’t find its real groove at first.

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Good Place S1 spoilers
    I still remember the exact location I was when out walking and the cogs started turning on the twist (albeit not enough to make a conclusion).

I don't know why there's that connection but it's a fond one.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I am on season 2 of ds9 now.

Is good show

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Tonight I watched Hercules in the Underworld, the fourth made-for-TV movie in the for the Hercules: The Legendary Journeys series.

OrD3UEK.png

A review of this sensational made-for-TV adventure:

-- Hercules has to combat the temptations of a Nurian maiden, whose destiny is to seduce Hercules after bringing him to save her village from a divine sink-hole (Hera has opened a hole straight to the Underworld).
    -- Cliff Curtis plays Nessus, a jealous centaur who works at Hercules' farm. He gets drunk and makes a big fuss at a bar about how it isn't fair that Hercules' wife won't bang him. He then makes a bargain with Hera, and begins making passes at Hercules' wife, Deianeira. Nessus eventually flies into a rage over Deianeira and Hercules fires an arrow into his spine. With his last dying breath, he tricks Deianeira into giving Hercules a cloak with the centaur's cursed blood. Later on in the movie Hercules puts on the cloak and it begins to strangle him to death. He manages to get it off before it explodes into a peacock and then explodes again.
    -- Hercules jumps down to the Underworld where he meets Charon the Boatman, who is portrayed akin to a New York taxi cab driver. Later on a group of zombified sirens try to strangle Hercules to death with their serpentine tongues.
    -- Hera pressures Deianeria into committing suicide (thinking she caused her husband's death) and Cliff Curtis, abyssal centaur asshole, makes fun of Hercules for it.
    -- Hercules makes a deal with Hades that if he can stop Cerberus from rampaging through the Underworld, Deianeria can return to the land of the living. Hercules fights Cerberus and instead of killing the creature, pacifies it (demonstrating that even in the Underworld, there are no truly bad dogs).

By the way, this film is very horny.

Also, this film is super depressing knowing how Hercules: The Legendary Journeys series begins.

That concludes my review.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    He scratches his cheek. The question has him stumped. “But one thing I will say. My wife grew up in Siberia. Her mother tongue is Russian. My mother tongue is Bavarian. Which is not even German, it’s a dialect. But we decided, 25 years ago, that we would not speak in German or Russian to each other. Both of us leave the comfort zone of our language, and we communicate in English. This means that we are very cautious and careful. We are trying to articulate our feelings as closely as we can in a foreign tongue. And the result? In 25 years there has not been a single foul word that has passed between us.”

That’s interesting, I tell him. So does he think that speaking in a second language somehow makes him more respectful and considerate?

“Ha,” says Herzog, The pedant pounces. “English is not my second language. My second language is German.”

Fine, I say. Third language then.

“Ha,” says Herzog. “My third language is Latin.” No question can pin him, no lockdown can hold him. He will keep reading, raging, sparring clear through until Christmas.

Fuckin, just like

what an extraordinary individual

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My PhD supervisor is Bavarian and I feel like I just got a sudden flash of insight into a lot of his bullshit.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I know that Herzog is a brilliant, endlessly curious empath and humanist. These are his best traits.

And I normally loathe the vaunting of machismo and stoicism

But also

"It was not a significant bullet."

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    what the fuck, how did I not know that werner herzog got shot during a fuckin' interview, holy shit

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    what the fuck, how did I not know that werner herzog got shot during a fuckin' interview, holy shit

And he just kept the interview going

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Well I just watched the Good Place season 2 premiere
    Can't believe the balls on this show to essentially completely change its genre between seasons, now landing somewhere between workplace comedy and satire of capitalism while ALSO still being about the quest of our protagonists to escape the Bad Place AND being about the primary antagonist now scrambling to hide HIS secret, much like Eleanor had to deal with in S1.

It's also gotten way, way funnier in the process and I really hope Vicky has some different weird unexplained affectation every single time she shows up, and also Gym Guy is my new favorite running gag and even though they played it 4 times in the same episode it fucking broke me to tears every single time.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Can't believe the balls on this show to essentially completely change its genre between seasons, now landing somewhere between workplace comedy and satire of capitalism while ALSO still being about the quest of our protagonists to escape the Bad Place AND being about the primary antagonist now scrambling to hide HIS secret, much like Eleanor had to deal with in S1.

It's also gotten way, way funnier in the process and I really hope Vicky has some different weird unexplained affectation every single time she shows up, and also Gym Guy is my new favorite running gag and even though they played it 4 times in the same episode it fucking broke me to tears every single time.
    Tiya Sircar is amazing as Vicky

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

he got shot in the tummy with an air rifle, yeah.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Well season 3 of Dark got a bit silly it was still good. Also we got to make this funny meme
    659qtg1c77e51.jpg
    Also The Unknown is a decent creepy concept but it doesn't really make a lot of sense for Martha to be so committed to preserving the existence of this child she treats like a tool.
    And the writers have started work on their next Netflix project, 1899, so that's cool.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Yeah completely agree about Martha’s motivation
    you can hand wave about maternal instinct all you like but some weird looking creepo* shows up and hugs me and calls me mother I’m running screaming in the other direction, not bending reality to ensure his existence

*ok technically one creepo in three bodies but that doesn’t make it better

tynic on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Muppets Now was alright I guess. Bold to start with five minutes of nothing but Miss Piggy, but the Kermit segment was fun.

• Options
    I should start live tweeting my ds9 episode impressions

Bold of them to have the Most Interesting Man In The World show up in this episode in season 2. I wonder if what is up with this lady flirting with Sisko too. She seems to be some kinda vampire is my guess.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    new Muppets? Does it have Ms. Piggy's pet baby penguin? He was the best part of the random chunks of the recent show I watched.
    latest?cb=20160122023227

• Options
    lots of folks flirt with sisko

you telling me you wouldn't flirt with avery brooks?

• Options
    edited August 2020
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    lots of folks flirt with sisko

you telling me you wouldn't flirt with avery brooks?

Of course.

I'm just saying this lady is suspicious.

Probably because she keeps disappearing.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

Tiya Sircar is amazing as Vicky

Trying to remember, for others who have watched the series.
    is s2 the season of season finales, or is that s3?

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    The Good Place S2E2
    Oh so I guess we're just

blowing up the status quo every episode now, huh

or hundreds of times per episode

I guess I won't predict anything anymore because this show will just do anything it wants

The limiters are off, what a show

Also god DAMN it I just thought early in the episode "OH MICHAEL IS IN HIS OWN BAD PLACE" and then that turned out to be one of the things they'd already thought of in a previous iteration FUCK YOU

sig.gif
  • Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    S2E2 is one of my favorite episodes of that show. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    I had a roommate who had incredibly questionable taste, but as soon as she described that episode as “stupid” I knew I could write off her opinions forever

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The Good Place S2E2
    Oh so I guess we're just

blowing up the status quo every episode now, huh

or hundreds of times per episode

I guess I won't predict anything anymore because this show will just do anything it wants

The limiters are off, what a show

Also god DAMN it I just thought early in the episode "OH MICHAEL IS IN HIS OWN BAD PLACE" and then that turned out to be one of the things they'd already thought of in a previous iteration FUCK YOU

Oh yeah that really doesnt stop

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

Bold of them to have the Most Interesting Man In The World show up in this episode in season 2. I wonder if what is up with this lady flirting with Sisko too. She seems to be some kinda vampire is my guess.

For a moment I thought you were talking about the Dos Equis guy and was confused because the actor WAS actually in an episode of Star Trek: The Original Series as a red shirt security officer and he doesn't get killed!

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »

For a moment I thought you were talking about the Dos Equis guy and was confused because the actor WAS actually in an episode of Star Trek: The Original Series as a red shirt security officer and he doesn't get killed!

I'm talking about this genius Terra forming scientist.

I paused the episode the other night and will probably get back to it tonight.

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Deep Space 9 is the best Star Trek.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    We've finally started watching What We Do In The Shadows and I'm sure you're all aware already but this show is a fucking delight

• Options
    Is Tales from the Loop good? I'm not sure how deep to search for opinions on it given it all came out at once, a few months ago.

• Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    Is Tales from the Loop good? I'm not sure how deep to search for opinions on it given it all came out at once, a few months ago.

I mostly like it, I know some people found it too bleak or dialled back. It has a very particular aesthetic that permeates not only the visuals but also the acting and storytelling, and that's not for everyone.
    I wouldn't say it's must-see TV but I found it well worth the time investment.

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »

I mostly really liked it but it's very slow and sad. Much like Cormac McCarthy or Jeff Vandermeer, i dig it but I don't recommend it lightly.

Some really neat ideas and great performances though. Definitely worth checking out if it sounds interesting to you.

• Options
    Ah. Slow and bleak/sad is very much not for me. Thank you.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Deep Space 9 is the best Star Trek.

All Star Trek is good for different reasons.

Except Star Trek V.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    I posit the voyager is not good for many reasons

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Voyager does have Robert Picardo at least

• Options
    Discovery is bad

• Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    I wanna rewatch the Odyssey miniseries from 1997