As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Sea Fox merchants buy PGI lostech using Terra-based shell company

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Maybe? It would be very very hard though. I don't think you can get enough weapon to reliably core enemies from the rear and you're not really fast enough even with JJ's to do much maneuvering. If there was a star league urbie then maybe. But there isn't.
    Mirkel wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »
    I've had a firestarter sitting in the racks for months now that I've been meaning to take out but never have. My player character is even a good candidate for its use, so I don't even have to risk a mortal with it, but I've just used light mechs so little that I'm worried about trying them out against things of so much higher tonnage.
    My PC has ace pilot, which I assume you want so you can reserve outside of LoS and move last in the turn, swing in for an alpha strike, then move first next turn to fire another alpha strike, and then ace pilot away again. I think with a full loadout of flamers, that's enough to shutdown any mech without a heat bank, yeah?
    Probably would pair well with my Marauders, come to think of it. You can make called shots on shutdown mechs, right?

The problem with using flamers is that they have pitiful ammo. If you want to shut mechs down, inferno missiles are a better bet. The best Firestarter build just loads it up with SLs and MGs and melee damage mods and runs around punching stuff and/or jumping behind enemies and coring them with the huge alpha from all those support weapons. As long as you have a pilot with pilotting 10 and an avoidance gyro and keep moving, a light mech is basically invulnerable to anything else than melee.

Also note that with the leg dmg reductions you can make DFA's cost you no damage (except stability)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Henroid wrote: »
    ... Do you guys think it's possible to beat the campaign using only Urbanmechs (provided you buy them as soon as they're available and such)?

Assuming you have Heavy Metal, it should be easy. So many good autocannons. At least as far as firepower goes - I can't remember if any campaign missions require speed. I used an Urbie with my 4 Lights career, it kicked ass .. I think it had 2x LBX2++ for 144 damage with nearly infinite range.

If you really want to do it, the way to do it would be to edit your starting mechs so you have 5 Urbies. Hunting them down all around the galaxy would take way too long.

Mirkel on
  • Options
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Maybe? It would be very very hard though. I don't think you can get enough weapon to reliably core enemies from the rear and you're not really fast enough even with JJ's to do much maneuvering. If there was a star league urbie then maybe. But there isn't.

The thing is Urbies are very hard to hit once you get high pilotting and avoidance gyros. Obviously they are damn slow so you'll never have a lot of avoidance chevrons but taking Surefooted with them all should help. Light mechs get innate +3 avoidance, pilotting 10 is another +3 and gyro +3 - that's 45% already. If you get 2 avoidance chevrons end-game enemies are going to have around 30% chance to hit and Urbies are heavy enough for some decent armor too. It's not going to be a cakewalk but give everybody Ace Pilot and just jump away after shooting. A +100m view distance hat for the pointman Urbie and a bunch of AC2s of various flavor and you can kite enemies fairly well even with the crap movement they have.

It'll take some patience but most missions might be easier than you'd imagine. Only huge weakness they have is moving around in a hurry - I think there's one or two timed missions they might actually fail just because of that. Been a while since I last played through the campaign.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I've had a firestarter sitting in the racks for months now that I've been meaning to take out but never have. My player character is even a good candidate for its use, so I don't even have to risk a mortal with it, but I've just used light mechs so little that I'm worried about trying them out against things of so much higher tonnage.
    My PC has ace pilot, which I assume you want so you can reserve outside of LoS and move last in the turn, swing in for an alpha strike, then move first next turn to fire another alpha strike, and then ace pilot away again. I think with a full loadout of flamers, that's enough to shutdown any mech without a heat bank, yeah?
    Probably would pair well with my Marauders, come to think of it. You can make called shots on shutdown mechs, right?

The problem with using flamers is that they have pitiful ammo. If you want to shut mechs down, inferno missiles are a better bet. The best Firestarter build just loads it up with SLs and MGs and melee damage mods and runs around punching stuff and/or jumping behind enemies and coring them with the huge alpha from all those support weapons. As long as you have a pilot with pilotting 10 and an avoidance gyro and keep moving, a light mech is basically invulnerable to anything else than melee.
    Are inferno missiles in the base game? I've never seen any.

• Options

Are inferno missiles in the base game? I've never seen any.

No, like most ridiculous things they are Heavy Metal only.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I never once found a - to hit gyro in my entire campaign despite visiting the majority of the periphery systems.

I did, however, in the late game, find myself a marauder, which I built as a headcapper, and then I was swimming in mechs. I was bringing it in late game missions along with three other assaults just because it was so good at killing. It would stalk around the edges of the map pop up and murder someone.

This is also gonna seem like a tall tale but I have proof!

ebvm768ni4o9.png

I used him in almost every mission. He spent most of the early game in lrm missile boats hiding until I got assaults (first a shadowhawk?, then an archer for probably 50% of the game), then I gave him the free highlander because I had other mechs.

In the final mission I had that highlander, an awesome, and my own atlas. Poor boss didn't really know what hit it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Yeah, I just got that achievement too, he was one of my best pilots. I thought it was pretty funny; I guess most people just keep putting him in that Spider until he dies?

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    It's not even worth it to calculate for LRMs since only one shot can get a headshot and damage is so low. SRMs and machineguns get diminishing returns, but it's still worthwhile to check.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    Yeah, I just got that achievement too, he was one of my best pilots. I thought it was pretty funny; I guess most people just keep putting him in that Spider until he dies?

I think that achievement is almost entirely a jokey throwback to when the game first dropped. The start could be really brutal and no one knew how to game the AI or sandbag against the hidden lances. Decker being your first character with speed skills was always in the least armored mech, playing scout detail the farthest away from the group. So he was the most likely to end up surrounded by a surprise ambush of 8 mechs, and as such the most likely to die early.

• Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    A lucky shot can easily vaporise a spider regardless of evasion pips. As I know from vaporising many an early game spider.

In fact in one of the earliest missions he came really close to carking it but I ran him the hell away and hid him for the rest of that mission.

The most brown pants moment I had tho was when a random lucky headshot left my Awesome with 1 hitpoint of structure. Wasn't even Dekker piloting it.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    On my first playthrough of the campaign I brought Dekker to the final fight, riding an Urbanmech, and had him line up the final killing blow.

Final mission spoilers:
    36losm913y2w.jpg

Tynnan on
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

I think that achievement is almost entirely a jokey throwback to when the game first dropped. The start could be really brutal and no one knew how to game the AI or sandbag against the hidden lances. Decker being your first character with speed skills was always in the least armored mech, playing scout detail the farthest away from the group. So he was the most likely to end up surrounded by a surprise ambush of 8 mechs, and as such the most likely to die early.

And how each LRM had an equal chance to headshot when the game first dropped. Pilots had a high turnover rate

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    On my first playthrough of the campaign I brought Dekker to the final fight, riding an Urbanmech, and had him line up the final killing blow.

Final mission spoilers:
    36losm913y2w.jpg

Talk about putting the boot in. Did you have your Urbie teabag that Kingcrab when you were done?

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Tynnan wrote: »

Final mission spoilers:
    36losm913y2w.jpg

Talk about putting the boot in. Did you have your Urbie teabag that Kingcrab when you were done?

You'd better believe it

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Oh hey, this happened!

ayQyI4A.png

From the recently-released Volume 4 of Recognition Guide: ilClan, for the tabletop game.

Thank you Oosiks, one and all, for giving me the opportunity to push papers for you all these years! Because of you, I'm now a canonized self-insert character in the DEEP LORE that is Battletech.

Now it's time to keep an eye out, and see where the other eight canonized Oosiks pop up!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Oh hey, this happened!

ayQyI4A.png

From the recently-released Volume 4 of Recognition Guide: ilClan, for the tabletop game.

Thank you Oosiks, one and all, for giving me the opportunity to push papers for you all these years! Because of you, I'm now a canonized self-insert character in the DEEP LORE that is Battletech.

Now it's time to keep an eye out, and see where the other eight canonized Oosiks pop up!

Aw man, that is beyond awesome! I know you would have been better in a Locust, but I'm jealous you are linked to the Wasp. Makes me realize I should have put myself with the Stinger since that was my favorite before getting known in the Urbanmech in MWO.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Oh hey, this happened!

ayQyI4A.png

Holy shit this owns! Congrats!

• Options
    So I was thinking of making a run at Kerensky Rank and had a thought.

See, Some aspects of difficulty can be changed in game. So if you start on easy you can swap to hard and generate a different set of missions (so long as you do this before you visit the contracts section). Similarly you can freely swap between generous money and generous salvage depending on what you plan to pick up at that planet.

What this means is that you can start the game on easy or normal/cash/no rare drops in order to produce a good start with as many missions and as much money off the first few planets and end the game with salvage as you work to collect the different chasis/make all the money.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    It's going to make so little difference.

• Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    I managed to work through the somewhat confusing process of modding Battletech with Battletech Extended 3025 - Commander's Edition and holy cow does that make the game so much more interesting. Decided to go in my first time on iron man and haven't any casualties yet, but a few close calls.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    Extended is probably my favourite of the overhaul mods. Adds enough to make everything interesting again without adding all of the things from tabletop which, while they add a whole bunch of depth, are really just unnecessary and can make things drag on and on.

It really slows the game down when they give you 6+ mechs and your first 5-6 turns are you sprinting and having to click done because they've also put in ridiculously huge maps.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    What's the elevator pitch on what Extended 3025 adds/changes? I keep flirting with mods (and then not using them. All my BT hours are unmodded. :) ) But something like Roguetech breaks my pre-Clan tabletop mind.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    What's the elevator pitch on what Extended 3025 adds/changes? I keep flirting with mods (and then not using them. All my BT hours are unmodded. :) ) But something like Roguetech breaks my pre-Clan tabletop mind.

Mech and pilot quirks, tons more mechs and variants, pilot fatigue, the whole inner sphere map (unless that was a thing before). You get to choose what year you start in after passing one day; I opted for the year the clans begin invading, which affects what mechs will and won't run in to. They've more fairly balanced the weapons, so things like ACs don't generate as much heat and LRMs deal less stability damage.

Just so many things to help with replayability.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • Options
    The main thing about extended is that there are more mechs and you can add a feature that lets you drop more mechs on a mission. The downside is that sometimes you have to walk forever to get to the objectve(not sure if you can fix both)

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    The main thing about extended is that there are more mechs and you can add a feature that lets you drop more mechs on a mission. The downside is that sometimes you have to walk forever to get to the objectve(not sure if you can fix both)

Are you mixing it up with BTA? Last I chekced Extended is one of the big mods that don't let you drop more than 4 mechs and looking through change logs it doesn't seem like they have added anything that big since I last played it, either.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    This conversation is interesting to me as I am probably going to drop a mod or two in before I start a career. Not sure I want a big overhaul, maybe just a few extra touches here and there, but I like hearing about what mods people like and recommend.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options

Are you mixing it up with BTA? Last I chekced Extended is one of the big mods that don't let you drop more than 4 mechs and looking through change logs it doesn't seem like they have added anything that big since I last played it, either.

IIRC there is an option for it in extened via messing with one of the ini files

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrDOlMGigGs

The sample mission near the end is *chef's kiss*

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    On a side note, finished my playthrough of Total Annihilation (Arm) and Core Contingency (Core), and since MWO is doing a trial mech event I'm taking a break and working on finishing my playthrough of Battletech.

Loaded up a save, negotiated a mission, and realized my commander was in a Mech I didn't remember having: A King Crab (dual AC/20s, 4 MLs) Forgot I managed to get one before I put the game down last.

Encountered a Marauder in the first mission I played too, wasn't able to take it whole, the newbie that was on the mission with me got too excited and cored it while I was trying to knock the pilot out.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My 4 year old has been asking me every morning for a week if we could play 'Stompy Robots Game' again, so I probably have to actually go looking through the thread for mods to see what appeals.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Yer raisin' 'em right, Fishman. Good on you.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Anyone interested in the old 1707 Master Rules and the 1700 Maximum Tech books? I have two copies of the master rules, one copy of Maximum Tech. Will ship to the US. Purging our house and I just can't bring myself to throw them in the recycling bin.

In MW related news, I still haven't gotten around to installing the new game. Have recent patches and such improved the enemy spawns? It's got quick save, right, because most of my gaming is during work hours these days when I can squeeze 15-20min at a time throughout the day.

• Options
    monkeykins wrote: »
    Anyone interested in the old 1707 Master Rules and the 1700 Maximum Tech books? I have two copies of the master rules, one copy of Maximum Tech. Will ship to the US. Purging our house and I just can't bring myself to throw them in the recycling bin.

In MW related news, I still haven't gotten around to installing the new game. Have recent patches and such improved the enemy spawns? It's got quick save, right, because most of my gaming is during work hours these days when I can squeeze 15-20min at a time throughout the day.

I'd be interested in the books if nobody else is.

Oddly I was about to boot up MW5 today just to play again but it crashed and I didn't try again after leaving for lunch. Then I got distracted looking at mods.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Oddly I was about to boot up MW5 today just to play again but it crashed and I didn't try again after leaving for lunch. Then I got distracted looking at mods.

All three, or just one copy of the rules book and the Maximum Tech?

• Options

I just thought of it, @Nips probably would be better steward for such things since he is the Oosik paper pusher.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    It's going to make so little difference.

It hasn't. Frankly i am not sure i can make it to the money or hull completion at this point. I have the cash and i have a lance or two that will take everything out. But shaving enemies to get mech parts and not weapons is so tedious. And i do not have enough LBX 2 ++ to fit out an Anhillator in order to effective crit out enemies.

My lance is an absolute stonker (double UAC20++ Atlas II), Double SRM6+++ Double Sub PPC++ Battlemaster GB, Marauder 3r with gauss, ERPPC, and a UAC 2(this could also be a crab or a cyclops with LRM's for stability spread), and a triple UAC 10++ Annihilator(i would prefer 5x AC/5++'s if i could find them with +10 dmg but that is unlikely). (or a double Snub PPC++ royal phoenix hawk, or a cataphract OX)

My main problem, besides the fact that shaving is super painful is that i am about to have lost rep with the pirates. And this means that its extremely unlikely i finish with enough of the rare mechs to high mech completion.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind a mod that turned off the scoring. I just wanna sandbox. I don't care if I'm scored. Having a screen pop up randomly when I'm messing around to tell me I suck will only annoy me.
    I certainly don't want to play the way the game wants me to play to get a high score.

• Options

I just thought of it, @Nips probably would be better steward for such things since he is the Oosik paper pusher.

I have both books, but thanks for the thought!

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    I wouldn't mind a mod that turned off the scoring. I just wanna sandbox. I don't care if I'm scored. Having a screen pop up randomly when I'm messing around to tell me I suck will only annoy me.
    I certainly don't want to play the way the game wants me to play to get a high score.

That "score" has zero impact on the game. And the game has no mechanics that actually force you towards completing any of those score goals. You are completely free to play however you want the entire time.

But if you really can't ignore it, then edit the days in the " "GameLength" : 1200" line from 1200 down to 1 in this file:
    <steam path>\steam\steamapps\common\BATTLETECH\BattleTech_Data\StreamingAssets\data\simGameConstants\SimGameConstants.json

The scoring will end and just change to "Career Completed" after one day so it doesn't bug you after that.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options

It will only pop up once I think? And if you do campaign mode then you aren’t scored so you can just run a campaign and not worry about it

wbBv3fj.png