As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Summer 2020 [TV]: Revenge of the Bachelor

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    voyager has

1) the best doctor

2) the second best colorful civilian

3) a very good first officer whose character is, unfortunately, marred by fraudulent native american bullshit

4) some extremely high-quality episodes here and there (I will call out The Thaw and Year of Hell specifically but there's probably somewhere between one and two dozen really great episodes)

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Voyager does have Robert Picardo at least

kate mulgrew was wasted on that show

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I don't agree with that at all, I thought she was extremely well-utilized and it's mainly down to sexism in the fanbase that Captain Janeway isn't held in higher regard

remember when janeway and paris evolved into lizards and then fucked and had kids and then got devolved back to humans and nobody mentioned it ever again

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Hey

Voyager doesn't have bones, you take number 1 back.

I will not

remember the multitude of war crimes janeway committed

edited August 2020
    og star trek doesn't have the best anything

it doesn't even have the best gay subtext, DS9 took that away from it

Shorty on
    bones is good, but he isn't The Doctor

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    remember when janeway and paris evolved into lizards and then fucked and had kids and then got devolved back to humans and nobody mentioned it ever again

What happens in varanus stays in varanus. You know that.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Dr McCoy was a damn good doctor, plus he managed all his duties while blind drunk.

Besides I don't actually like the EMH. As a character he's basically the worst parts of data and bashir mashed up. Picardo did a good job but I'm still not a fan.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    bones is good, but he isn't The Doctor

Actually, their name is Doctor Who.

Wait...

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
    remember when janeway aided two different species in committing genocide

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular

And how it was easily curable so they probably could have used warp 10 to get home.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    I don't agree with that at all, I thought she was extremely well-utilized and it's mainly down to sexism in the fanbase that Captain Janeway isn't held in higher regard

No it was probably the horrid writing even for Star trek

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Speaking of Trek I watched The Trouble With Edward
    Definitely fun to see a comedy tone, and I don't especially care that it goes against the grain of traditional Trek because it's refreshing to see a total fuck up because of lack of hindsight and That Guy we've all worked with before.

Thankfully I learned that there was an after-credits stinger because "I'm pregnant...... with flavour!" is such a stupid line I'm glad it was kept.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I've been doing a Voyager rewatch. A lot of episodes are still great. I just skip anything with Borg and as many Seven episodes as possible. Although season 6 forward she's still the focus of every episode and solves every problem and everyone always wants to talk to her.

uyvfOQy.png
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Most of Star Trek has light genocide on their record, it's fine. Janeway was only slightly more inconsistent than typical episodic characters imo, if perhaps not as interesting.

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I finished Voyager season 2 and I will say that Voyager might have the best "early season" episodes of the 80's on Treks, because Tuvix and Deadlocked are fucking powerhouses.

voyager has the best pilot episode and it's not particularly close

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Blink of an Eye is a very cool episode of Star Trek even if it doesn't make much sense.

Voyager was the family show of choice where renting the latest tape with two episodes was a big deal for us so it's always going to have a soft spot with me, in spite of its various poor decisions.

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I've been doing a Voyager rewatch. A lot of episodes are still great. I just skip anything with Borg and as many Seven episodes as possible. Although season 6 forward she's still the focus of every episode and solves every problem and everyone always wants to talk to her.

I loved Seven and I loved the Borg (and really only started watching more after Seven was introduced) but even I still can't get over how (spoilers, why not)
    they actually introduced a terrifying new alien monster species that can wreck the Borg and leave piles of their fucking heads lying around and is a threat to everyone...

and then turned around and said "actually nah, these guys are just misunderstood and we're also gonna have them look like friendly old Ray Walston and shit from now on" all so that they could make the Borg the the Big Bad of everything again.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    in the back end of schitt's creek season 2. everyone is funny but i think alexis gets the most laughs out of me

i can't see myself getting tired of her stories and johnny's reactions

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular

Does that say more about voyager or tng and ds9 pilots though

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Hey, you know that relatively wholesome character the whole pilot revolves around that's been on the show for four seasons? Yeah, fire her, we have this great idea for a Mary Sue wearing a really tight outfit.

Although I guess the show would've probably been cancelled if this hadn't caused the ratings to spike, so...

uyvfOQy.png
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    As a big TNG fan, I will say, DS9's pilot was far better. However Babylon 5 is the best space station show.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    in the back end of schitt's creek season 2. everyone is funny but i think alexis gets the most laughs out of me

Moira absolutely correctly gets the lions share of the Schitt's Creek praise, but I feel like Alexis is really slept on

She's a delight

she violates the prime directive AND strands her crew in the very first episode

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Hard Glossy Armor is the best episodes of The Magicians

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

Moira absolutely correctly gets the lions share of the Schitt's Creek praise, but I feel like Alexis is really slept on

She's a delight

Yeah but how does she say

behbeh

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I'm almost finished with the first season of What We Do In The Shadows.

Hey folks...

When I was in college, I was a resident assistant for three years. My third supervisor, he was an odd guy. He had a weird way of talking and had the eyes of a pug.

When residents would excessively lock themselves out of their rooms, he would force them to write up research papers on the history of keys.

In his room, his only decorations were pictures he ripped out of magazines and crudely taped to his walls.

A few years after I graduated he got fired and then started paying his bills by burning through credit cards (leaping from one to the next).

I used to party with him when I'd return to my college town, but...

Hey folks, was my third supervisor an energy vampire???

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Moira never quite gelled for me as a character, as great as Catherine O'Hara is

She felt like the last one to really integrate with the town and thus the longest holdout of the "I'm a selfish rich person" camp

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    I'm almost finished with the first season of What We Do In The Shadows.

Hey folks...

When I was in college, I was a resident assistant for three years. My third supervisor, he was an odd guy. He had a weird way of talking and had the eyes of a pug.

When residents would excessively lock themselves out of their rooms, he would force them to write up research papers on the history of keys.

In his room, his only decorations were pictures he ripped out of magazines and crudely taped to his walls.

A few years after I graduated he got fired and then started paying his bills by burning through credit cards (leaping from one to the next).

I used to party with him when I'd return to my college town, but...

Hey folks, was my third supervisor an energy vampire???

Oh, absolutely.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    He used to save up his vacation days and then fly to New Mexico in the summer.

Where he refused to go see any tourist attractions or scenic destinations.

Instead he'd just spent an entire week in his hotel room...

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Platy wrote: »
    I wanna rewatch the Odyssey miniseries from 1997

I'm curious if it's as watchable as I remember

Telemachus...

now is the right time for your anger.

• nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited August 2020

It cannot be denied that much of the hatred for Janeway is at least in formed by sexism but she also probably suffered the most from the shows terrible writing.

The idea that she is only written as inconsistently as other Captains when it comes to the prime directive isn’t true. Unfortunately there is a very clear line to the way the PD is treated by the shows. Janeway gets just about the worst of it as writers somehow started to miss that the early appearances of the PD involved wrestling with the moral complexity of the issue but eventually sides with the need to save lives. In comparison Janeway often holds up the PD as an excuse to allow or outright cause genocide. Only Archer gets it worse.

Otherwise we can also blame the sexism of the writers for the way Janeway is regarded. They have no idea what they’re doing. Her temperament and beliefs change violently from episode to episode evidently because they wrote her “as a woman first” or more accurately “the way a mostly male writing team sees a woman”.

I am uncertain there are any good female characters in 90’s trek. I can’t say for sure but it seems to me that the majority of women were written by people who only ever interacted with women who were their moms or their girlfriend. The only character that really escapes this fate is Kira I think.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Didn't Mulgrew eventually admit that based on the writing she intentionally played Janeway as psychotic?

sig.gif
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular

that is a perfectly acceptable way to spend your vacation days

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

that is a perfectly acceptable way to spend your vacation days

I was going to say, spending an period of time by yourself as a vacation sounds great.

I am in the business of saving lives.
This discussion has been closed.