As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Steam]-vember. Time to stuff yourself full...of games.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    I'm playing Lenna's Inception at the moment as part of a monthly videogame book club sort of thing and it's got some pretty dark twists on the Zelda formula that are surprisingly jarring and exciting in a way that I'm interested to see what other rabbits they pull out of the hat.
    As a "NPC" of this world, I was taking "Link" through a dungeon tutorial before a monster fell from the ceiling and splattered him, blood and all. Was kinda shocking but not without president after what we saw had happened to the 'It's Dangerous To Go Alone' Elder...

steam_sig.png
  • QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Realised I forgot to post this:

We were talking in chat a couple of days ago about new vocabulary for the gifting, then I saw the familiar green envelope....

vcjnkbaqxyjz.jpg

Thank you for Forgotton Anne Bad @Pixelated Pixie !
    <3

steam_sig.png
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    What is this new vocabulary? I missed this conversation.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • QuestorQuestor PAX Aus Tabletop [E] Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    The giftslap!

steam_sig.png
  • DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Questor wrote: »
    The giftslap!

Guys,Questor, you're all doing it wrong. It's all caps, GIFTSLAP!

Edit: It's Questor who's wrong. Not anyone else.

DaringDirk on
    camo_sig2.png
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    If anyone has a hankering to play a farming/dating/RPG, then you should check out my old classmate's game, Pumpkin Days, on Steam. It's still in EA, so there is stuff missing and has bugs.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/618850/Pumpkin_Days/

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    If anyone has a hankering to play a farming/dating/RPG, then you should check out my old classmate's game, Pumpkin Days, on Steam. It's still in EA, so there is stuff missing and has bugs.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/618850/Pumpkin_Days/

Bugs aren't good in farming, don't want them to ruin the harvest.

steam_sig.png
    DaringDirk wrote: »
    Questor wrote: »
    The giftslap!

Guys,Questor, you're all doing it wrong. It's all caps, GIFTSLAP!

Edit: It's Questor who's wrong. Not anyone else.

To be fair, I often am.

steam_sig.png
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I made a hammer out of a mint candy and it is glorious. And yes, I am wearing armor made out of ladybug parts (and berry leather).

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    I'm playing Lenna's Inception at the moment as part of a monthly videogame book club sort of thing and it's got some pretty dark twists on the Zelda formula that are surprisingly jarring and exciting in a way that I'm interested to see what other rabbits they pull out of the hat.
    As a "NPC" of this world, I was taking "Link" through a dungeon tutorial before a monster fell from the ceiling and splattered him, blood and all. Was kinda shocking but not without president after what we saw had happened to the 'It's Dangerous To Go Alone' Elder...

I'm not going to lie, I started Lenna's inception, but I kinda gave up after a few cases of this.
    Like, yes, I get it, some kind of force is trying to break the "story" as it's supposed to go, but it feels so... Newgrounds 90s flash. "Haha the hero is useless and gets brutally murdered out of nowhere in a blood spurt" is so old at this point.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    And yes, I am wearing armor made out of ladybug parts (and berry leather).

raw

s7Imn5J.png
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    It had to be done. :razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    @Orivon is still going with their monstrous onslaught despite me surrendering the other day.
    iiixuwqzpf8f.jpg

Thank you. Please no more. :(

Isorn on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »

I'm not going to lie, I started Lenna's inception, but I kinda gave up after a few cases of this.
    Like, yes, I get it, some kind of force is trying to break the "story" as it's supposed to go, but it feels so... Newgrounds 90s flash. "Haha the hero is useless and gets brutally murdered out of nowhere in a blood spurt" is so old at this point.

I kind of felt the same way when I started it. It was kind of jarring. Not that I don't play violent games sometimes, but I went into that one expecting some kind of link's awakening like game. I guess I understand what they're going for, but I imagine it would turn a few people off going into it expecting a certain experience since it seems like they're borrowing a lot.

Steam: offday
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Isorn wrote: »
    @Orivon is still going with their monstrous onslaught despite me surrendering the other day.
    iiixuwqzpf8f.jpg

Thank you. Please no more. :(

This is amazing, been a good while since we've had one of these events :lol:

• MalakaiusMalakaius KalamazooRegistered User regular
    This is beautiful, please, continue for our entertainment! <3

PSN: Malakaius- | Steam: Malakaius Switch: SW-4569-5525-1983
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »

I kind of felt the same way when I started it. It was kind of jarring. Not that I don't play violent games sometimes, but I went into that one expecting some kind of link's awakening like game. I guess I understand what they're going for, but I imagine it would turn a few people off going into it expecting a certain experience since it seems like they're borrowing a lot.

It's kind of messed up that it makes me interested in this game.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Love Tales of Berseria but I'm really hoping they streamline combat abit with Arise.

One of the things I loved about older Tales games is that they were action based but easy to follow and learn, even 20+ hours later, Berseria combat feels very chaotic in comparison. Theres so much to this battle system and it really doesn't need it.

Also prefer straightforward equipment upgrades rather than feeling burdened to carry/equip everything around becuase it has a skill bonus I need to learn or upgrades I need to make for it before I can dismantle it for better parts.

More depth would ordinarily be fine but I don't find any of it here compelling but rather in the way of things.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    j1yvv9ga91ce.png

@Spoit is adding to the hurt.
    Classic 90s game though. I can't be too angry at that. Thank you. <3<3

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    After burning my whole day off in it, I seem to have hit a point of critical mass in Battletech. Finally replaced my lost Thunderbolt, and it's just in time to be the little mech on the team - the others are an Archer, an Annihilator, and an Awesome that doesn't really live up to the name next to the Annihilator. Also just in time to get scrapped because one mission after it goes into service the campaign just hands me a Highlander loaded with LosTech shit. Declared war on my own inventory of low-tonnage mechs and excess heat sinks and jump jets from loot sitting on almost 40 million bucks.

The farther I get the more I know I'm going to *have* to buy Grounded before it goes on sale.

Hevach on
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I finished up DOOM Eternal last night. Wait, let me set the mood . . .

https://youtu.be/l417iA7iQeo

Picked it up at 50% off a few months ago and chipped away at it for a bit before taking a few weeks off and then wrapped up the last 4 levels last night. I had a pretty good time but, well . . .

q7wxi3-qogdiXIHc.jpg

DOOM Eternal is an excellent game that gets weighed down by a few factors but you feel them.

All of it stems from things added onto the basic formula that don't quite work as well as the designers hoped.

There is just a bit too much to manage on the part of the player now. The melee finisher for health, chainsaw kill for ammo is still there but now there's also using melee finishers to charge the blood punch, a timed frag grenade and contact freeze grenade with cooldowns to manage, a flame belcher with cooldown that doesn't seem to do meaningful damage but makes enemies drop armor, and eventually charges for an energy sword. And you will have to juggle all of these because you are perpetually low on ammo. In nu-DOOM your shotguns started with 20 shells at maximum ammo and at maximum ammo upgrade you could hold 60 shells. In DOOM Eternal, the max ammo is 24 shells. Add to that that some weapons are much more effective against some enemies and there are a lot of times you will decline to fight something due to wanting to save ammo for a specific type of troublesome enemy that may spawn. To try and help out a bit, the chainsaw regenerates one pip of fuel automatically but there are only a few specific enemy types that it can work on with just one pip and those become increasingly rare as the game progresses and more enemy types are introduced. Fights usually spawn a never ending supply of basic zombies until all the bigger enemies are killed and end the fight and it becomes important to sometimes ignore killed them until later in the fight when you need health or ammo. That sounds fine in theory, but let me repeat that: The best plan of action in a DOOM game is to not kill enemies in many circumstances. It ends up being a huge departure from the gameplay expected as that becomes more common.

The latter levels also do indeed get less enjoyable. The last two are where it really shows but even before that some sequences involve things like having to fight in a ooze that prevents you from moving at full speed or jumping while you're in it or lots of geometry to get stuck on when you need to evade things. Fights in areas with bad geography for what's needed become more common later with the second to last level being full of arenas too cramped where I frequently fell off the edge while trying to avoid attacks. The second to last level felt like the designers wanted to switch things up a bit but it was a poor choice of locale to do that in so close to the end of the game. Having a boss fight where the usual frenetic killing of minor enemies for healing and ammo turns into needing to line up careful headshot kills for health and ammo was something that felt unnecessary. It was a bit of a relief to leave that alien world and return to more familiar environments even with level geometry problems but the last boss is just awful. After two failed attempts I turned on an in-game performance enhancing option and it still took at least half an hour if not more to finish. I also had to disable screen shaking because it just got ridiculous. It's an overly long slog and another fight where the usual formula of relying on enemies to heal and rearm breaks down. More than once a boss ability killed all the enemies around me and I thought to myself "Hey, I was using that!" There are some neat ideas in it, but still: Half an hour or more with a cheat on.

Finally, there's one enemy I have to complain about. If you read a review that mentions something negative about the game it's likely about the Marauder. It requires specific tactics to defeat and forces you out of the movement patterns and frantic action of other enemies. It has many attacks depending on the range from you and shields itself against any attack unless you manage to interrupt one attack it uses at a specific range at which point you get about 5 seconds to hurt it. I thought it was a case of writers being overly annoyed at not being able to deal with a challenge. I quickly started to understand their frustration. It's an enemy type that is first introduced as a boss fight and I quickly learned that while adapting the strategy needed for the Marauder wasn't a huge deal all the other enemies still playing by the normal rules were. You're force to either do damage to the Marauder and eat shots from other enemies or deal with other enemies and let the Marauder hit you with impunity. Once it becomes a standard enemy in arenas and shows up regularly in the last 3 levels, it gets much more aggravating. Having a second or so window of opportunity to damage the enemy is an issue where only two of your weapons are both hitscan and do meaningful damage in a single shot and if you're low on ammo for those two weapons when a Marauder shows up it is not a good time. And the window of opportunity to interrupt that one attack to hurt the enemy is only about a second long. I had to rely on hearing it because my eyes couldn't reliably register the tell in time (and it's likely impossible to do so visually for some people with certain types of color blindness). For a bit I turned down the difficulty level each time a Marauder showed up until it died before reverting the difficulty and one special encounter that was timed with no ability to regain the needed ammo had to be cheesed by just running away until the enemy despawned. Any one of a small number of changes would have lessened how much of a headache this enemy type was such as letting the shield be broken, allowing non-hitscan weapons to be useful, letting super weapons stagger him instead of just being ignored, etc. but the sum total makes these a huge annoyance and I never really felt any great sense of accomplishment from beating one. More of a "well, now I can get back to playing the game" feeling.

We're left with a game which isn't bad by any means but takes a big nosedive in the second half that gets much worse towards the end. I don't not recommend playing it but I also know it's going to greatly frustrate a lot of people. I still look forward to another followup but really hope the ideas that interfered with the flow and feeling of gameplay get excised.

7/10 cooldowns. Maybe pick it up when it's down to $10 on sale.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    So i finally got the sound bar hooked up. This is pretty much the final setup in the cellar! Worrying needs tidying and a proper stand for the sound bar but for now, the layout is complete! Thanks again, everyone. This means so much to me :heartbeat:

hp7AcgE.jpg

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    What genre is that VR game? Sitting simulation?

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    FROG FRACTIONS GAME OF THE DECADE EDITION OUT NOW ON STEAM!

It's free y'all! The OST is not out until tomorrow, y'all!

Hop's Iconic Hat DLC is currently 20% off making it only $7.99 y'all!

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

"Similar to Path of Exile"
    I have so many questions

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

Sounds like people are trying to get hunk'D again.

steam_sig.png
    The Surge 1 & 2 for the same price as The Surge 2 at Gamesplanet. I think I just may jump on this. Never played a Soulslike

Y'all there's some good stuff in this sale. Many games at or near historic lows:
    Persona 4 Golden
    Catherine
    Surges
    Nier: Automata (historic low! $18!)
    Frostpunk
    Sekiro
    Metro: Exodus

• SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

Most accurate Steam review ever

yvaki59cb626.jpeg

5gsowHm.png
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    The Surge 1 & 2 for the same price as The Surge 2 at Gamesplanet. I think I just may jump on this. Never played a Soulslike

Fair warning for The Surge if you do try it - bosses have weapons drops that change based on how you do the fight, with the better versions dropping only if you did certain specific things before killing them. Several of them are very good, so if you are at all interested you may want to look up a guide as they are once per playthrough.

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Donnicton wrote: »

Fair warning for The Surge if you do try it - bosses have weapons drops that change based on how you do the fight, with the better versions dropping only if you did certain specific things before killing them. Several of them are very good, so if you are at all interested you may want to look up a guide as they are once per playthrough.

To be totally fair, even the less-than-top-tier boss weapon drops are still pretty punchy, at least from what I've seen up to where I am.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur

Ooh this is the worst kind of thing. Hates it, we does!

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Ride with Norman Reedus, from the TV show of the same name:

xpnbkobeyy9t.jpg
    dyyd7gajvyp4.jpg

Hideo Kojima thinks 'Well, that's a full day's work', and knocks off early to go down the pub:
    n49bdq0q4mg8.jpg

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!

Well now I'm not sure I want to get the game(s)

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Surge 2 is very good.

Surge 1 gives you an interesting start and is solid enough but once I got to guys that were consistently 2 hitting me I was pretty much done.

2 fixes all the problems and turns it into a hacking-limbs-off good time.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I found surge 1 doable, as someone who isn’t super good at souls games. You can often grind your way to victory. But yeah the best thing about the whole series is the finishers. So brutal

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular

Well now I'm not sure I want to get the game(s)

I hate it when videogames have once per playthrough missable stuff, but honestly if I remember correctly I played through 95% of the first Surge switching between a chainsword that you can get from the first human enemies you fight (medium speed/medium damage) and the non-special version of the weapon you get from beating the first boss of the game (slow speed/high damage).

I don't have the sequel though, so I don't know if it has any similar shenanigans.

You can add audio files to a folder (I forget the exact one, but it's probably in a thread somewhere on the game's Steam discussions) and it'll randomly pick one of them to play whenever you get to a bonfire safe area, which is pretty cool.

I decided to only get Surge 1 (5.99) along with a couple other titles.

Man I should have kept better track of that sale. There were some really great deals, and all Steam keys

Metroid Prime you couldn't get 100% without scanning every enemy, including bosses, and each phase of a boss too, so it was really easy to miss one and end up with slightly short of 100% if you were going for a completionist run

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.