As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There is no such thing as a moral or immoral [book] thread

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    taking another stab at Herodotus

I hadn't realized we already had a copy - translated by Aubrey de Sélincourt - so a couple of years ago I picked up a two-volume set translated by Harry Carter.

Carter's take is fairly formal and, among other things, names the abductor of Helen as Alexander. Sélincourt is informal, a bit modern, and uses Paris.

not sure which I prefer. Might continue, as I did last night, reading a couple sections from the one and then re-reading it in the other.

Tamin on
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I should re-visit my Herodotus at some point. I think it's still propping up my parents' Kinect.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

That was so ice cold I had to go outside and warm up for a bit after reading it.

Amazing.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Has anyone ever read Platonov? I've just read a description of him as "Russia's great prose poet of revolutionary entropy", which is an amazing phrase.

Same review contained this pretty wonderful story about Sats:

vbj1ij42c5z1.jpg

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Finally found something to download and read.

The last wish

The 1920s noir detective parallel is quite apt

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    the last wish was good

I just finished blood of elves and was pretty unimpressed, basically nothing happened in it

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    the last wish was good

I just finished blood of elves and was pretty unimpressed, basically nothing happened in it

I think a lot of the novels are kinda hot air, unfortunately

I really prefer the punchiness of the short stories

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    Yeah, the novels never really get into a groove. The pacing's all off, there are too many narrative devices that are repeated, too many POV shifts to random characters at just the wrong stages of the story. They're... not very good tbh. I feel the novels are at their peak when they're most like the short stories, i.e. when Geralt and his company are having their episodic encounters and adventures. That's mostly in the third book iirc.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I think my main complaint is that Geralt doesn't do any fucking witching!

• Options
    I am tickled pink that this 1st act of last wish is basically the intro to witcher number one

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    I also didn't like that Ciri
    is basically never confronted with her actions as one of the Rats. They basically become martyrs for her with it never getting brought up again that they were murdering assholes who killed innocent people for fun.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I have unwittingly been reading a couple of books that have been compared to Pratchett recently. I mean, I was aware that I was reading them, but I didn't seek them out because of the Pratchett comparisons.

"Darkwood" and "Such Big Teeth", part one and two of the Darkwood series, by Gabby Hutchinson Crouch (also a guest on the podcast Desert Island Discworld), and "A Wizards Guide To Defensive Baking" by T. Kingfisher (aka Ursula Vernon).

I liked them all and I can see why the Pratchett comparisons were made, but I kinda feel like the Darkwood series has some of the humour of Pratchett but not so much the rest of what makes a Pratchett book, while Defensive Baking has much of the rest (and just reads better) but not the same level of humour. Of course, that's holding them to a very high bar.

They also all involve Breadmancy, come to think of it.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    The Witcher audiobooks are very well done I'd recommend them over the text honestly, smooths that rough stuff right over

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Oh no, just realized that Harrow the Ninth comes out in two days and then The Tyrant Baru Cormorant a week later.

Guess that solves my what to read question for awhile.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    I'm kind of scared yet excited to find out how much further Baru can escalate her incredible talent for being an absolute asshole, while still remaining theoretically the heroine, but yeah that's my holiday reading

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    I have unwittingly been reading a couple of books that have been compared to Pratchett recently. I mean, I was aware that I was reading them, but I didn't seek them out because of the Pratchett comparisons.

"Darkwood" and "Such Big Teeth", part one and two of the Darkwood series, by Gabby Hutchinson Crouch (also a guest on the podcast Desert Island Discworld), and "A Wizards Guide To Defensive Baking" by T. Kingfisher (aka Ursula Vernon).

I liked them all and I can see why the Pratchett comparisons were made, but I kinda feel like the Darkwood series has some of the humour of Pratchett but not so much the rest of what makes a Pratchett book, while Defensive Baking has much of the rest (and just reads better) but not the same level of humour. Of course, that's holding them to a very high bar.

They also all involve Breadmancy, come to think of it.

It's really just a reminder that even though the Discworld books read pretty easy and breezy, Pratchett was a generational talent and working at a caliber that almost no other living author can match.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I snagged two more Antony Beevor WW2 histories (Arnhem and Battle of the Bulge) on the ole kindle because they were on sale so I figure I'm just gonna make my way through all of them. I'll grab the one on Crete and I think there's maybe one more later and if I get to feeling squirrely I may try and reread them all in chronological order. But also maybe not because that is a lot of books.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I finished reading Little Fires Everywhere last night

Real good book, but I think everyone knew that already

I thiiiiink Everything I Never Told You might edge it out a little bit for me, but it's a tough comparison

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I snagged two more Antony Beevor WW2 histories (Arnhem and Battle of the Bulge) on the ole kindle because they were on sale so I figure I'm just gonna make my way through all of them. I'll grab the one on Crete and I think there's maybe one more later and if I get to feeling squirrely I may try and reread them all in chronological order. But also maybe not because that is a lot of books.

The dude is thorough

• Options
    shergakshergak Registered User regular
    I just finished reading Empire of Gold, the conclusion to the Daevabad trilogy by S.A. Chakraborty. Loved every page of it, and the story is pretty much designed to hook me. Can't get enough of Islamic Fantasy and romance.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Oh no, just realized that Harrow the Ninth comes out in two days and then The Tyrant Baru Cormorant a week later.

Guess that solves my what to read question for awhile.

Oh fuck those releasedates crept up on me

As well as Empire of Gold

Gonna have to wait though, I’m tapped out this month

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Rhythm of War, chapter 4
    Each robe was embroidered with the Double Eye of the Almighty, and Shallan had a fleeting thought, wondering at the seamstress they’d hired to do all this work. What had they told her? “Yes, we want twenty identical, mysterious robes, sewn with ancient arcane symbols. They’re for… parties.”
    :+1:

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Antony Beevor is a bit fucking fantastic, you rarely read history so compellingly written and so exhaustively sourced

The last one I read he made a point that "King Tiger" as in the tank is a sloppy translation and ought be "Royal Tiger" and never has a persnickety pedant point warmed my heart more

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    I appreciate how thoroughly Beevor hates Bernard Montgomery

• Options
    I struggle to imagine knowing Monty and not hating him even Monty hated Monty

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    Rhythm of War, chapter 4
    Each robe was embroidered with the Double Eye of the Almighty, and Shallan had a fleeting thought, wondering at the seamstress they’d hired to do all this work. What had they told her? “Yes, we want twenty identical, mysterious robes, sewn with ancient arcane symbols. They’re for… parties.”
    :+1:

Chapter 5 spoilers
    The subtle drop of "found in Aimia" is pretty entertaining.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    reading Harrow the Ninth and boy there's a lot going on here

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Just finished another re-read of Cryptonomicon, since it was brought up in the thread. It's still a thoroughly entertaining book, but every year it gets more hilarious that the protagonists started a business to use cheap off-peak bandwidth to send YouTube videos to be physically copied to cassette tapes at 7-11 so they could fund their actual business plan of putting Bitcoin on the gold standard.

1999, you are adorable.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    As we come to close on this thread I want to say Oscar Wilde is a dork, The Turner Diaries is an immoral book. Although I suspect he may have figured out himself that what people say isn't a game when he was in prison for being gay.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    edit: wait no I get what you mean now.

I had a real brain bending moment there for a second where I thought you meant Oscar Wilde was somehow responsible for The Turner Diaries.

tynic on
  • Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »

I had a real brain bending moment there for a second where I thought you meant Oscar Wilde was somehow responsible for The Turner Diaries.
    This sounds like a very bad episode of Doctor Who

• Options
    Coinage wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »

This sounds like a very bad episode of Doctor Who

probably still not the worst episode of Doctor Who, though

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I mean the quote is an excerpt from the introduction he added after he was forced to heavily censor The Picture of Dorian Gray

I'm pretty sure he was already well aware of the severity of the written word at that point, and that it was indirectly tied in to the fact that he was later imprisoned for being gay

• Options
    Wow, this Striga fight certainly ended differently than what the game indicated.

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    https://www.topherpayne.com/giving-tree
    the tree who set
    healthy boundaries

an alternate ending for

Shel Silverstein's "The Giving Tree"

• Options
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    reading Harrow the Ninth and boy there's a lot going on here

LORD THERE IS SO MUCH

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I kind of spent a whole day just reading Harrow the Ninth and I already finished it. (Though I did not re-read act one.)

I don't consider myself good at guessing twists/reveals, but I did at least pick up on the thing that was being strongly hinted at.

I laughed for a minute straight at (tiny spoilers for a thing towards the end)
    the dad joke.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Finished the Druid of Shannara. Amazed at the things I do and don't remember. Remembered all about Walker Boh and his arm and the Black Elfstone, completely forgot everyone else on the trip to Eldwist. Quickening the created woman, Pe Ell the assassin, Morgan Leah comes along. Carisman is just an actual D&D Bard. Liked this book best so far. On to the Elf Queen.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Just started re-reading Gideon the 9th in preparation for Harrow. God this really is a good book.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    shergak wrote: »
    I just finished reading Empire of Gold, the conclusion to the Daevabad trilogy by S.A. Chakraborty. Loved every page of it, and the story is pretty much designed to hook me. Can't get enough of Islamic Fantasy and romance.

Empire of Gold was a very satisfying finale

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
This discussion has been closed.