As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Most Artisanal of Cozies [Artsy Farts and Crafty Asses]

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    I took up knitting around the start of the pandemic. It's fun and good for podcasts! So far I've mostly been churning out these fun hats on circular needles, and I also made my boyfriend an elbow pillow for drawing on his tablet.
    648wttc9rwh5.png
    iq7cp76thzq8.png

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    I carved a different kind of thing:
    sgk3gBL.jpeg

I'm no Syman woodcarving, but I think I did alright.

PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    This one was miserable to do. I actually started it 3 times. The pattern itself is not so bad, it was the fabric; I had been interested in seeing how things other than generic aida would turn out. First two were linens and it was literally impossible for me, the threads were actively shifting and that makes it impossible to keep things lined up. 3rd and final was evenweave which is basically a midpoint between aida and linen. Still a bit of shifting but switching to a smaller needle helped, however I'm shit at threading needles so that turned into its own misery. Still, came out pretty nice I suppose.

x8ek0lrx237i.jpg

• Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    That looks great! I've been wanting to try evenweave sometime and I think I have some tucked away in my stash for when I feel brave. Did you grid?

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Belruel wrote: »
    That looks great! I've been wanting to try evenweave sometime and I think I have some tucked away in my stash for when I feel brave. Did you grid?

No, generally I don't do that. The only thing I've gridded is a big recreation of the stretching portraits from the Haunted Mansion, which is probably going to take about 2 more years to finish

• Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    I've only gridded one project and that was a mystery stitchalong (ended up being the golden girls) so it made the process a lot simpler. I think I would for large projects, but mostly I've only gone smaller things so it hasn't felt necessary.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    so I recently got the Fallen London playing cards, and they're great! But I thought to myself: "a deck of cards this good needs an appropriate, in fiction box that I can place them in".

So I ordered one online from FireTale at Etsy, and it finally got here today! Now I can put my cards in a stylish, canonical housing - for the Fifth Will Live On In The Heart Of The Sun...:

wMW3myj.jpg

effy81A.jpg

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm in a lull, working on just one thing and is got another 7 inches of stocking stitch in the round to go, on 4ply fingering wool so it's taking forever.

But yesterday I had a play at being a photographer and took some shots outside of the adult size knitting I've managed to do the last few years.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Busy couple months

restored this old utility knife from the late 30s
    f5fjhortgnqe.jpg

refinished this weird old parts chest and turned it into my guitar parts holder
    tyr2r5l5d97a.jpg

restored this unfortunately small bench vise
    4cy3svq0b3g7.jpg

almost finished sanding this ash guitar body
    yz46m8yhdg19.jpg

the best part though is I got these 3 power tools from the early 60s FOR $30!
    f1mrr9diwgsi.jpg

wilkuxatzyl4.jpg

qgh0ivlw64cx.jpg

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Finished an old project that had been laying fallow

This thing is somewhere in the neighborhood of 8 feet long, most of my scarves are closer to 6’.

6fnhhy53b88k.jpeg

Next up, i finish another scarf that will be considerably shorter since i only have a single hank of yarn to work with

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    more like knitdan hahahaoohhh

nm

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    Can someone tell me if this looks like an easy enough pattern for a first crochet project? I want to knit a hat for my nephew's birthday and he loves Catboy but I can't find a decent knitting pattern, only crochet. But I've never 'cheted before.

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/catboy-mask-hat-pj-masks

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I'm practicing refinishing this old handsaw I got in a lot of tools. The lot also included a disston crosscut saw from the early 1900s that I need to restore.

pbrwu83rux67.jpg
    g80berfplmrb.jpg

ypxcj48xa9gt.jpg

ircf7rchvl2a.jpg

gwg4a7gjz7ye.jpg

9la0s3cmkfgt.jpg

o0169kvn6cso.jpg

just need to finish the plate and wax the whole thing!

Xaquin on
  • Options
    I think I'm going to have a go at that second pattern, once I've taught myself how to crochet at all. Am I right in thinking that I can make it bigger by using thicker yarn and a larger needle? That pattern says it fits a 4 year old, and my nephew is turning 4, but he has a massive head.

• Options
    yeah it'll scale up with the needle size. I don't know much about crochet so I was leaving it for others to comment on pattern difficulty but fwiw that second one doesn't look crazy hard or anything.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Yes, sorry Smof. my brain has been in another direction.

that 2nd one looks pretty easy, and you can easily go up a needle size with it to increase some size, but keep in mind that will likely mean you need a bit more yarn over all.

yarn stretches, especially if it has any wool within the mix. your end product will likely be just fine enough to stretch on a 4 year old head.

• Options
    Thanks! I did a bit of practice yesterday so I can now do single crochet (which is called double crochet in the UK). Today I will try to learn double crochet (treble crochet in the UK). These naming conventions aren't at all confusing!

That pattern says to use half-double-crochet which just, wtf crochet people. Knitting seems way more straightforward than this.

• Options
    There's a website called New Stitch A Day that has video tutorials for dozens of stitches, including the very basic ones that you're learning. They've got pretty good quality videos from memory.

• Options
    Thanks I will check that out as soon as our internet is sorted. I've been using my phone's data for the last 2 weeks so trying to avoid watching videos, which is why this has been tricky because turns out learning stitches from just a written description is not very intuitive.

• Options
    You may have some luck looking for photo tutorials instead of videos, but I didn't have much luck with a very brief search just now.

I crocheted for a long time before i knit, so I can try and help with terms and things if you need. Just PM me or tag me here or what not.

• Options
    Trying to buy a pattern on Ravelry, but apparently you have to use PayPal, there isn't any other option? And PayPal is refusing to work.

I know this probably isn't directly Elon Musk's fault, but I'm enjoying blaming him. What a dick.

• Options
    What's the pattern?
    I can try and set if I can buy it and gift to you?

• Options
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    That's kind of you to offer! I don't think PayPal likes my new address cos it's not accepting my card when I try to register it.

It's this pattern https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/orom

Can I transfer you some money? Or would it be easier to buy you a thing from another site, I don't know if transfers between UK and NZ will end up costing money

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    Just shoot me a pm with your rav name

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    ... tardigrade? ...

• Options
    I had to go to my own profile to remember what my username is, and in doing so discovered my Ravelry queue contains a single item, which I added in 2012.

Which is this
    e3ys72cmr6na.jpg

• Options
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    ... tardigrade? ...

some sleuthing revealed that some arms dealer or something that just came under sanctions uses the name tardigrade and paypal took the sensitive and nuanced approach to dealing with the issue
    I think we should ban murderers from using the names of cool animals in their companies personally

I also think we should ban graphic design firms from using 'robot' in their name but I admit that's more of a personal peeve.

• Options
    PayPal can't override their own security system?

• Options
    I could not begin to speculate on the byzantine arrangements of paypal security.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    finished a couple saws!

f9j5pvpgizy6.jpg

w7hhg2hkokco.jpg

I also got a fret board radiusing bit so instead of it taking two days to sand a fret board to 12", I should be able to knock out 4 in a day easy!

91er0iq13wsi.jpg

Xaquin on
  • Options
    These kinds of videos make me feel like I'm wasting my life

• Options
    RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    edited September 2020
    I was pretty sure this was going in a different direction when they dipped it in peanut butter.

But there are some alright ideas in there.

Edit: In other art related news, I ordered some black 3.0 which I'm going to use to paint a 3d printed ghost with. Mostly I just want to play with that paint, but I think that might be a neat object to use it with.
    Edit 2: Great podcast on vantablack, but also features the black 3.0 creation: https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/their-dark-materials/

Edit again: the shredding in blender reminded me I wanted to check this process out a bit more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ItPfhx3ulw

Radiation on
    PSN: jfrofl
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    These kinds of videos make me feel like I'm wasting my life

I looked up the eggshell sidewalk chalk one because I couldn't believe that is a real thing you can do, but for once the 5 second craft video didn't lie!

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    @ahava made me this excellent beanie, i love it so much!
    pxojb216dcz7.jpeg

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Did someone turn the grav off in NZ again

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Yes please send help

Alternatively, give me instructions on how to stop the forums from auto-rotating all my pics

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke