As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

New [movie] thread, same as the old one. New Bill and Ted, out soon!

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I'd have liked to see a David Lynch Return of the Jedi with George Lucas backseat directing. The weirdness of Lynch, the more organised storytelling of Lucas. It'd be a good combo. And I'd be able to remember the name of the RotJ director.

Sorry... Richard Marquand?

• el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    tynic wrote: »
    holy shit. I was reading a thread on the various attempts at making a movie of Dune

we could have got a Lynch Return of the Jedi????

Can you imagine what he would have done with ewoks. Frankly, I can't
    goddamn
    i mean i love lynch's Dune and I don't know if I would trade it in for another take on the star wars franchise but ... think of what could have been ....

tynic, are you telling me you are unaware of this clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJQ4vCu-S0U
    I'm preeeetty sure the "things he called wookies" were the ewoks, which makes Lynch's headache all the more funny to me

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

Yes, yes I was. But no longer!

edited August 2020
    Nice!

Uh, in other movie-related things, I watched The Call tonight, with Halle Berry. I really want(ed?) to like it! It starts off a little pat and clunky, but the middle part was exciting to me. I like movies where characters are trapped in a location and have to figure out how to escape it. So that was cool, I thought the pacing was good and all, but theeeen...it completely falls apart in the third act, which really bums me out

el_vicio on
    ouxsemmi8rm9.png

Oh and fwiw, I think Lynch's Dune is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    holy shit. I was reading a thread on the various attempts at making a movie of Dune

we could have got a Lynch Return of the Jedi????

Can you imagine what he would have done with ewoks. Frankly, I can't
    goddamn
    i mean i love lynch's Dune and I don't know if I would trade it in for another take on the star wars franchise but ... think of what could have been ....

We definitely saw what Ewoks would have looked like, in Twin Peaks season 3:
    t5xg72iqojgslygw59rh.jpg

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Oh and fwiw, I think Lynch's Dune is not nearly as bad as people make it out to be

it's hard to recommend without caveats and it doesn't execute well on most of what it's trying to do but it is absolutely worth seeing

it's a classic example of a movie that sounds great when it is just being described

• CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    One time in high school some friends invited me over and we watched just the second half of Lynch's Dune. I hadn't read the book. It was hard to follow!

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »

as a movie it's fine, it's just kinda goofy and boring with a wild aesthetic and probably lynch's weakest movie

it is fucking awful as a dune movie

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    You could make Star Wars insane switching lots of positions besides director.

Like what would Star Wars look like if instead of Oz designing the aliens, you had H.R. Giger

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Speaking of Dune, here's a one hour long interview with Villeneuve about the movie and how things have been impacted by the pandemic etc

https://youtu.be/JIdV7AWd3ns

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Jodorowsky's "Star Wars"

Like what would Star Wars look like if instead of Oz designing the aliens, you had H.R. Giger

Probably less good, honestly?

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Fuck outta here, Giger
    Yeah they're dicks, I get it

• PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Fuck outta here, Giger

He wanted to design something entirely new for Alien but Ridley Scott was like I really, really need your dick monster

Grislo wrote: »

I was thinking the scariest monsters we know from current star wars would be downright cuddly after Giger or like Del Toro did some.

I just don't think Giger, or Del Toro, would be at all interesting for what Star Wars is, and was trying to be.

But yeah, also, if Giger is only used as 'we need that slimy dick energy', then that's real limited.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

I was thinking the scariest monsters we know from current star wars would be downright cuddly after Giger or like Del Toro did some.

Uh excuse you, Star Wars has the Actual Christian Devil in it, which is pretty spooky

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Maddoc wrote: »

Uh excuse you, Star Wars has the Actual Christian Devil in it, which is pretty spooky

Just having a beer at the bar, too!

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
    Wes Anderson's Star wars.

I both can and can't picture it beyond that line.

• Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Of course there is lol

I liked the wes anderson trailer cut for The Force Awakens better

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I just don't think Giger, or Del Toro, would be at all interesting for what Star Wars is, and was trying to be.

But yeah, also, if Giger is only used as 'we need that slimy dick energy', then that's real limited.

Del Toro star wars would be amazing. Mostly because I feel he would just do weird hutt stuff

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    So not a first date kinda movie.

GDdCWMm.jpg
    Watching reindeer games
    What
    The
    Fuck
    Is
    This
    Movie

I think Gary sinese is just wearing left over lieutenant dan threads

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

I remember the coloring book and toys
    At the time until I was in my late teens knew parts of the movie.

But we could have also had the magic of a Jodorowsky dune with Giger doing the visuals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2cXVkNE4B0

• SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Ms Dapper wrote: »

With Owen Wilson as Luke, Bill Murray as Ben Kenobi, and Gwyneth Paltrow as Leia.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I've got a poster of giger's harkonnen skulltrain that I bought in high school

the wife won't let me hang it but in her defense it is very silly

Shorty on
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Watching reindeer games
    What
    The
    Fuck
    Is
    This
    Movie

I think Gary sinese is just wearing left over lieutenant dan threads

I had forgotten about that movie for good reason
    Looking it up I remembered why I chose to forget it

Everyone having a head injury is the only explanation for how dumb everyone is
    Except donal logue he is great

Shorty wrote: »
    I've got a poster of giger's harkonnen skulltrain that I bought in high school

the wife won't let me hang it but in her defense it is very silly

but she can see how awesome it is though, right?

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Fuck outta here, Giger

Hey, sometimes they're vaginas!

Fuck outta here, Giger

I don't follow

PiptheFair wrote: »
    Fuck outta here, Giger

I don't follow

Image search

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    The Bruce Lee Criterion Collection defaults to original Mandarin Monoaural with English Subtitles.

Good job, Criterion!

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I was watching murder she wrote tonight as I have every night for the past few weeks, and jerry orbach reprised his role in season two.

And I was like man what all did he do I love jerry orbach

So I looked up his filmography and this motherfucker was lumiere and did the singing as well?!?!?!?

My world was shaken to its foundations

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I finally watched a Werner Herzog movie instead of just appreciating him as a personality

I watched Aguirre, the Wrath of God

and hey that dude rules at making movies, turns out

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I finally watched a Werner Herzog movie instead of just appreciating him as a personality

I watched Aguirre, the Wrath of God

and hey that dude rules at making movies, turns out

that movie is actually just a documentary about what an asshole kinski was

This discussion has been closed.