As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC! Thread Title Update

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    All of this said, I actually would enjoy seeing Booster trying to be a 50s sitcom dad, a la "Leave It To Booster." Maybe he travels to different eras to see if he can fit in, only to mess each one up in a comedic way that still teaches him a lesson.

Rip Hunter, Time Master, is still canonically his son, right?

So we know he becomes a dad at some point.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Speaking of Harley Quinn merch, did that shirt from BoP get sold anywhere?

I better not have to say what shirt! Lol

yeah at hot topic

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I'm willing to believe the Harley dating Booster thing is just terrible writer taste.

it's deadpool+cable

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I'm willing to believe the Harley dating Booster thing is just terrible writer taste. They keep trying to pretend anyone likes Barry Allen as the Flash over Wally. And then threw Wally under a bus in Heroes In Crisis because people refused to like their guy more. It's not like Harley wasn't already bi, that was stated as canon a long ways back.

(If you like Barry as the Flash more because of Flash TV, okay, but no other version of the character is similar to that version, so I don't know if you like comic Barry more).
    Humphries has said that he was planning on having Ivy be a part of his run but was forbidden by Editorial and so he went with Booster instead

Like, dude straight up confirmed that they were actively trying to squash the relationship

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    shit i can't believe i'm not gonna get my "Harley Quinn is in a lesbian relationship with Poison Ivy" brand tennis shoes

You misunderstand. I'm not saying AT&T is going to change how Harley is portrayed on merchandise. I'm saying AT&T might be changing how Harley is portrayed universally, in order to sell her merchandise in certain nations with strict guidelines on what messages they allow to be conveyed to their people.

It's a pattern we've been seeing in a lot of western popular culture lately.

where are some examples? i'm aware of lgbtqia+ stuff from the US being censored in some countries but that's not "universal portrayal"

i'm not aware of companies making lgbtqia+ characters not that and if it's happened like you say i'd really like to know about it

The Harley Quinn situation reminded me specifically of a controversy from late last year, where gaming company Hasbro, owners of the Magic: The Gathering trading card game, attempted to pass off a prior homosexual relationship held by one of the game's main characters, Chandra Nalaar, as just a phase, even going so far as to have Chandra claim that her type was not only men, but particularly macho men. This inexplicably sudden reversal in the character's portrayal came at the same time Hasbro was planning to expand the Magic: The Gathering property into other media, including a live action movie and an animated series on Netflix, leading many to conclude that the decision was made as a condition for getting this new media released in foreign markets that would disapprove of such a character.

Hasbro has apologized for the decision and paid lip service to reversing it, but have not published any stories to back up that sentiment as of this post.

thanks! yeah i can definitely see that, although i can also see them doing it because they're adapting to a new industry and want to remove "roadblocks" or whatever (which doesn't make it any less homophobic, but does remove the racist "it's not us" excuse)

but also, that is one example. you said it's a pattern we're seeing a lot of. i can give you way more examples of comics/cartoons/tv shows (even narrowing it down to just superhero stuff) that have added queer representation to them
    Even the foreign censorship you describe in your post is done with not only Hollywood's consent, but their cooperation as well. Anonymous studio employees who contributed to the film Bohemian Rhapsody from two years ago revealed that the film had been intentionally constructed in such a way as to make references to Freddie Mercury's bisexuality as easy to edit out of the story as possible. This has become a common practice in modern Hollywood, and studio employees are sworn to secrecy to avoid tarnishing the industry's progressive reputation.

being able to edit out for other markets does not equal a "universal portrayal" like you said. quite the opposite, in fact

also, biopics ignoring the queer aspects of its subject(s) is nothing new and has nothing to do with sinophobia or non-US markets

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

but yeah, it's just that they love china

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Speaking of Harley Quinn merch, did that shirt from BoP get sold anywhere?

I better not have to say what shirt! Lol

yeah at hot topic

Hot Topics still exist? I've been scared to go to malls for like a decade because of all the zombies and kudzu

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    I'm willing to believe the Harley dating Booster thing is just terrible writer taste. They keep trying to pretend anyone likes Barry Allen as the Flash over Wally. And then threw Wally under a bus in Heroes In Crisis because people refused to like their guy more. It's not like Harley wasn't already bi, that was stated as canon a long ways back.

(If you like Barry as the Flash more because of Flash TV, okay, but no other version of the character is similar to that version, so I don't know if you like comic Barry more).
    Humphries has said that he was planning on having Ivy be a part of his run but was forbidden by Editorial and so he went with Booster instead

Like, dude straight up confirmed that they were actively trying to squash the relationship

I never heard about that, yeah that seems pretty definitive.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I'm 75% of the way through Infinite Crisis.

You folks remember Sam Raimi's Oz: The Great & Powerful?

You remember that scene where Theodora, the newly formed Wicked Witch, arrives at the Emerald City and becomes focused hellfire to break through the city's magical bubble shield?

Superboy-Prime just got out of his cage and its reminding me of that.

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Zonugal nobody saw that movie

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Zonugal nobody saw that movie

I saw it in theaters!

I remember it! I remember it!!!

oh my god, is this what Superboy-Prime feels like???

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    I saw it but I do not remember a single thing about it.

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I also saw it in theaters

• Options
    being able to edit out for other markets does not equal a "universal portrayal" like you said.

While that's true, the practice is still manipulative and hypocritical. Giving foreign governments permission to edit their films is one thing, but isolating the content they know those governments will want to edit out from the rest of story in order to make it more convenient for them to do so takes it to a whole other level. It turns representation into a cynical ploy they can use to accumulate goodwill domestically without having to actually care about anything.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    being able to edit out for other markets does not equal a "universal portrayal" like you said.

While that's true, the practice is still manipulative and hypocritical. Giving foreign governments permission to edit their films is one thing, but isolating the content they know those governments will want to edit out from the rest of story in order to make it more convenient for them to do so takes it to a whole other level. It turns representation into a cynical ploy they can use to accumulate goodwill domestically without having to actually care about anything.

could be that, could be filmmakers acknowledging their movies will be edited and try to accommodate so that it's not a mess after. could be both!

but either way, it is not the argument you originally said that characters are having their universal portrayals changed to be less/non queer to please China and foreign markets

especially when it's hella easy to point at increased representation in media (while not ignoring where it's lacking) that counters your sinophobic post

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

You remember that scene where Theodora, the newly formed Wicked Witch, arrives at the Emerald City and becomes focused hellfire to break through the city's magical bubble shield?

but is he doing just fine?

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »

Gonna make a safe claim and say, Superboy-Prime has felt better.

• Options
    could be that, could be filmmakers acknowledging their movies will be edited and try to accommodate so that it's not a mess after.

Even if that's true, it still means the filmmakers are valuing the structure and coherence of their plot in foreign markets above representation, a tacit approval of marginalization and partial erasure. Is that really the sort of stance we want to be supporting?

• Options
    could be that, could be filmmakers acknowledging their movies will be edited and try to accommodate so that it's not a mess after.

Even if that's true, it still means the filmmakers are valuing the structure and coherence of their plot in foreign markets above representation, a tacit approval of marginalization and partial erasure. Is that really the sort of stance we want to be supporting?

what the fuck is your argument? "they're changing queer characters for China" no they're not "well they make things easier for other countries to edit!" yeah they do "should we support that?"

support what? who here is supporting that? most people here aren't filmmakers and can't fuckin change hollywood

you made a racist post, got called out on it, and instead of addressing it you just keep changing your argument to tell us what kind of representation we should appreciate and support

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »

Sadly no, despite all his rage he is still trapped like a rat in a cage

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options

what the fuck is your argument? "they're changing queer characters for China" no they're not "well they make things easier for other countries to edit!" yeah they do "should we support that?"

support what? who here is supporting that? most people here aren't filmmakers and can't fuckin change hollywood

you made a racist post, got called out on it, and instead of addressing it you just keep changing your argument to tell us what kind of representation we should appreciate and support

Sorry for being unclear earlier.

I'm just curious about people's opinions on the issue of filmmakers valuing coherent plot structure above taking a stand for full global representation, especially when the governments they are so eager to appease are among the most oppressive in the world, since it is a topic that came up over the course of the conversation and also a complex argument where good points could be made in support of either side. I thought it could be educational to hear some alternative viewpoints on it.

If anyone doesn't feel comfortable sharing their stance on this issue, they don't have to do so, of course. No pressure.

Saying we're not filmmakers and we can't change the practice feels like going too easy on Hollywood. It's excusing their moral cowardice as an inevitability. It's hiding behind Hollywood, not unlike how Hollywood hides behind China. Even if we cannot stop the practice, surely we can at least denounce it. Except, of course, those among us who live in nations where they risk imprisonment for publicly expressing such sentiments.

• Options
    I have finished DC Comics' Infinite Crisis novelization.

Lesson #1: Comic book fanboys will try to destroy everything & everyone

Lesson #2: ALWAYS invite the Joker to play...

Up next, starting tomorrow:

xvbUF8q.png

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    But why?

sig.gif
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »
    I saw it but I do not remember a single thing about it.

I remember that Mila Kunis is great in it and James Franco is James Franco playing James Franco.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Better than Michael Cera playing James Franco playing poker.

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular

Sorry for being unclear earlier.

I'm just curious about people's opinions on the issue of filmmakers valuing coherent plot structure above taking a stand for full global representation, especially when the governments they are so eager to appease are among the most oppressive in the world, since it is a topic that came up over the course of the conversation and also a complex argument where good points could be made in support of either side. I thought it could be educational to hear some alternative viewpoints on it.

If anyone doesn't feel comfortable sharing their stance on this issue, they don't have to do so, of course. No pressure.

Saying we're not filmmakers and we can't change the practice feels like going too easy on Hollywood. It's excusing their moral cowardice as an inevitability. It's hiding behind Hollywood, not unlike how Hollywood hides behind China. Even if we cannot stop the practice, surely we can at least denounce it. Except, of course, those among us who live in nations where they risk imprisonment for publicly expressing such sentiments.

Filmmakerz don't have final say on the edit of a blockbuster to begin with, but the real point is LGBTQ representation in comics and movies is because America has shitty views and its not China's fault.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Michael Cera was playing Tobey Maguire, not James Franco (in Molly's Game).

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Michael Cera was playing Tobey Maguire, not James Franco (in Molly's Game).

That makes a lot more sense.

• Options
    Guys, if @Zonugal keeps going in this order, the next novelization he's going to read is Countdown.

Should we… should we warn him?

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Am reminded of how Michael Ironside plays Michael Ironside in everything he's in.
    Fortunately, he's fairly entertaining.

(Nor is he the only one, just the first that comes to mind.)

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Am reminded of how Michael Ironside plays Michael Ironside in everything he's in.
    Fortunately, he's fairly entertaining.

(Nor is he the only one, just the first that comes to mind.)

Your mom is fairly entertaining.

Michael Ironside is more than we mere mortals deserve.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    Like, if we look at the Marvel side of the equation we can see that the last ten years has been a power struggle against people who at the very least realize that movies about non-straight white males sell and increase the audience on the one side and people convinced that so much as making movies like “Captain Marvel” and “Black Panther” would be box office poison.

Marvel’s output when it comes to these sorts of things isn’t much different from DC or any average studio really. I don’t think there is a good reason to not assume that sort of struggle isn’t happening everywhere in the entertainment industry. Harley Quinn is being made heterosexual in some places and being allowed to be gay in others because there are some assholes pulling the strings that are either homophobic or believe homosexuality to be box office poison.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2020
    I would argue DC has done a much better job than Marvel representation wise

It took Marvel 18 movies to make one with a BIPOC lead (of which there is still only the one until Shang-Chi) and 21 for one starring a woman

It took DC 3 DCEU movies to make Wonder Woman and 5 for Aquaman

Neither are, like, bastions of diversity, especially when it comes to LGBTQ content, but Marvel dragged its heels for a decade (even after Perlmutter was shut down it still took years) meanwhile DC largely hit the ground running

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Guys, if @Zonugal keeps going in this order, the next novelization he's going to read is Countdown.

I'm actually skipping the Countdown novelization as the reviews for it have been...

They aren't great.

• Options

It took Marvel 18 movies to make one with a BIPOC lead (of which there is still only the one until Shang-Chi) and 21 for one starring a woman

Neither are, like, bastions of diversity, especially when it comes to LGBTQ content, but Marvel dragged its heels for a decade (even after Perlmutter was shut down it still took years) meanwhile DC largely hit the ground running

not to turn it into "marvel vs dc" (since i don't watch much marvel TV), but again, DC TV shows are where to go for that gay shit

if the arrowverse can't make a character queer, they'll sure as shit make them accepting with no problems

fuckin' young justice has a non-binary character and gay characters

• Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular

Also suicide squads leads.

• Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited August 2020

not to turn it into "marvel vs dc" (since i don't watch much marvel TV), but again, DC TV shows are where to go for that gay shit

if the arrowverse can't make a character queer, they'll sure as shit make them accepting with no problems

fuckin' young justice has a non-binary character and gay characters

Gotham, the only good DC show*, gave us gay Penguin and bi Barbara Gordon

*also the only one I've watched, I'm sure these are unrelated

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Guys, if Zonugal keeps going in this order, the next novelization he's going to read is Countdown.

That it's 52 Done Right?

Nah, he'll figure it out

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    Guys, if Zonugal keeps going in this order, the next novelization he's going to read is Countdown.

That it's 52 Done Right?

Nah, he'll figure it out

you're a monster

• Options
    Ringo wrote: »

That it's 52 Done Right?

Nah, he'll figure it out

you're a monster

No, Dan Didio is the name of the Monster.

He's just the Doctor.

Or something.